7 years ago
615 posts

old movie themes

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,111 posts

There's a 17th century German cavalry song I've wanted to learn called Morgen Rot (Red Morning) referring to charging into battle in the 30 Years War

majajog
@majajog
7 years ago
21 posts

I wold suggest Roseville Fair by Bill Staines, I think.  There is no dulcimer tab out there because is not in the public domain.  A lovely song and maybe folks would be interested in tabbing out a version.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
7 years ago
1,720 posts

Lisa Golladay: Jan, do you need sheet music to work from? 

Here's a lead sheet and guitar tab for "The Lakes of Pontchartrain."  I arranged this for the ukulele club last month (gotta love Irish songs with alligators).  I think this could be worked into a gorgeous dulcimer arrangement, but I haven't had time to play with it.  While the arrangement is copyrighted, the song is, I think , in public domain and that should make it ok to post MD tab.  How nice of Paul Brady to share his arrangement!

Lisa, that's a great idea.  The song has a straightforward but uncommon melody.  I did a workshop with Neal Hellman a few years ago and he gave us tab to that tune. My memory is that the crowd wanted a faster tune, so Neal didn't spend too much time on it.  It's a really nice, old tune, though.  And if my memory serves me well, Mark Gilston recently posted a video of his version on dulcimer.

I learned the tune years ago from an album by Trapezoid, the hammered dulcimer group.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 04/20/17 08:41:38PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
7 years ago
1,720 posts

Jan, I don't have a specific song to suggest, but I often pick songs from a fiddle or penny whistle website, print out the standard music notation, and then try to tab it out for the dulcimer.  The SMN for those instruments only contains the melody, and often the rendition offered is the simplest possible, so the challenge is in adding some rhythmic complexity and then fitting chords in and around the melody.  Sometimes I just Google "fiddle tunes in D" and see where that takes me.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
7 years ago
85 posts
I've thinking on this since you posted it, Jan. My minds a blank. It's like a pop quiz... I got nothin'. I would like to hear Dan's put to tab. Sounds interesting.

--
Site Moderator

updated by @jim-fawcett: 04/20/17 04:22:02PM
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
7 years ago
399 posts

Guess I should have been more specific....I was thinking about familiar tunes that you've just never seen tabbed for dulcimer--something like a children's song or a hymn or a well-known tune for a particular holiday...something most of us grew up singing, perhaps, but we've never seen it tabbed out.  So I was just expecting to have some titles thrown out for me to consider....

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Lisa Golladay
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
7 years ago
108 posts

Jan, do you need sheet music to work from? 

Here's a lead sheet and guitar tab for "The Lakes of Pontchartrain."  I arranged this for the ukulele club last month (gotta love Irish songs with alligators).  I think this could be worked into a gorgeous dulcimer arrangement, but I haven't had time to play with it.  While the arrangement is copyrighted, the song is, I think , in public domain and that should make it ok to post MD tab.  How nice of Paul Brady to share his arrangement!

Brian G.
Brian G.
@brian-g
7 years ago
94 posts

I'm working on a beautiful 16th century tune called John Com Kisse Me Now.  I definitely haven't seen any tab for it, so I'm creating my own arrangement based on my favorite version of the tune.

Dan Goad
Dan Goad
@dan-goad
7 years ago
155 posts

How about this one, Jan.

pdf
WhistlingRufus.pdf  •  20KB

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
7 years ago
399 posts

Are there songs or tunes that you would really like to play, but you can't find any tabbed arrangements?  An instructor has asked us to bring one to an upcoming class so that we can work on making a tabbed arrangement.  Since I mostly play by ear, I can't think of any.  I thought I'd throw the question out here to see what people have been itchin' to play!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke