Interesting British-made dulcimer

john p
john p
@john-p
8 years ago
173 posts

Looks like it's made of Meranti, enough to put me off straight away.

Bill S
Bill S
@bill-s
8 years ago
9 posts

I, obviously, need a pair of those glasses, too.

Bill 

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 years ago
1,425 posts

Strumelia has special glasses to look through when inspecting instrument photos.  And I suspect they give her x-ray vision, too! coool

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
420 posts

Shoot, Lisa, if you "insulted anyone" for giving your opinion, then let 'em get over it or seethe to themselves.

Good points, actually; some of what you mentioned I hadn't noticed, so.... maybe, maybe not.  Next time I'm tempted on a weird one on ebay, I may ask you to take a look at for me.  thumbsup

Bill S
Bill S
@bill-s
8 years ago
9 posts

Well, Rob, I'm glad I didn't ask. lol

Bill

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,252 posts

Well ok since you ask , Rob, I'll be honest...

There are many elements of this instrument that I feel are not of high quality and don't suggest to me anything beyond a low 'hobby level' maker slapping stuff together-  the sharp unfinished fret ends, the very weird 'tailpiece' with guitar string anchors and its dark badly varnished strumhollow (and what is happening on the very end of tailpiece there where the top soundboard ends?).  The chopped up re-purposed (mandolin/guitar) tuners, the super high applied fretboard (was that added on top of the original fretboard?) which creates a bad angle on the strings at the nut, the crude blocky heart soundholes, and the high gloss 'finish' on the peghead and elsewhere.  It just doesn't strike me as any kind of skilled maker or quality materials.

The case- don't get me started..lol.  Putting aside the rotting crumbling foam and the 1970s yellow carpet remnants (who knows what may have happened on that rug during its sordid past..) - the handle, latches and piano hinge are all the cheapest of the cheap, crudely bolted right through the super thin plywood.  They didn't even bother slapping finish on the plywood underneath the leather handle...uh, too much trouble? shrugger   

Don't get me wrong- I can really appreciate a homemade wood case put together from recycled material...but a good craftsman will create one that is a thing of beauty and carefully made to protect the instrument, last a lifetime, and be a real pleasure to touch and use.  I have a 'rustic' case made from discarded plywood, a thrift store Norwegian wool sweater, an old leather belt etc... made for me by fotmd member Michael King (who makes fine strumsticks and lyres, by the way).  It's beautiful and is truly a marvelous thing made with skill and love.

All that said, I'm sure whoever made and used this dulcimer and case must have enjoyed it, and that's well and good.  It's just that I wouldn't buy it myself, even if the price was cheap.

Everyone's idea of value is very different.  My apologies to anyone I may have unintentionally insulted with my above personal opinions ...which are worth approximately two cents.  winky

In any case, this auction and thread was from back in Sept 2015.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 01/11/16 02:32:59PM
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
420 posts

OK, I'll be the one.   Why not, Lisa?

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,252 posts

Swimming against the tide here, but I myself would not buy it.  

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Bill S
Bill S
@bill-s
8 years ago
9 posts

The case would be worth the price by itself.

Bill

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

I like the wooden case, would like to see more wooden ones.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
9 years ago
1,083 posts

Nice find. I would certainly look at it and admire it if any of your folks bought it.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
399 posts

Me three!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
9 years ago
420 posts

Yep, I'd do the same were I there.

pristine2
@pristine2
9 years ago
33 posts

This dulcimer was apparently made in Yorkshire (there's a Haworth address inside).

A ;little rough-hewn, maybe, but I'd certainly buy it at the asking price if I were in the UK

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331666519485

updated by @pristine2: 06/08/16 09:24:05PM