Hindman Dulcimer Homecoming

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
6 years ago
399 posts

I wanted you all to know that if I wasn't already scheduled to be out of state at another dulcimer event that weekend, I would, for sure, be joining y'all in Berea. Just a suggestion...if someone writes the John Jacob Niles Center at the University of Kentucky, you may be able to get permission to make a quick stop at JJNiles' home just outside Lexington, not far off I-75 at exit 104.  It is private property, so I'm sure people don't want a bunch of cars parking in the driveway and poking around without permission--part of the building is still being used for storage and office space, I think.  John Gribble and I visited the site when he was working on his JJNiles article for Dulcimer Player News in 2016. The house, which is right by the road, looks like it is partly in ruins, but if you stand in the center of the courtyard and look past the vines that seem to be covering everything, you will spot some treasure such as the small niche with the figurine of St. Francis of Assisi, beautiful handmade tiles inlaid in the stonework, and a leaded glass window.  Not far from the house is the small Episcopal Church with the double doors that he hand carved. The pretty stone-walled cemetery behind the church has the grave of JJNiles and if you're lucky there will be some flowers and trees in bloom! The church caretaker lives across the road and can tell you more about why this beautiful small church is located in (seemingly) the "middle of nowhere."  

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,247 posts

Richard Streib:

How about a 5 gallon bucket full of sponges?

You fellas planning on taking sponge baths and sleeping in your cars?  duck

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
dulcinina
@dulcinina
6 years ago
87 posts

Hey Ken Longfield, Follow me so we can private message each other.  I would like to join up with you in Berea and may be able to help find a place where we can play.  I live abour 45 miles from Berea and play there once a week.  Dulcinina

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
6 years ago
231 posts

Ken,

How about a 5 gallon bucket full of sponges?

Thanks. Looking forward to it.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,719 posts

It's heartening to hear that some of you will be getting together even if the official event has been cancelled.  You can't keep a good dulcimer player down!thumbsup

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,113 posts

Richard -- bring yer sponge -- that way you can soak up lots and lots.  This should be a great gathering!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,071 posts

Richard, at this point we are planning to meet in Berea on March 8. I am staying at Boone Tavern and so are David and Karen Bennet. KenH is staying at an AirBnB. I don't know what the any of the others are doing. There are many places to stay around Berea. We have exchange mobile phone numbers and will make contact with each other via phone when we arrive. At this point we are thinking of going to Hindman on Friday and maybe U of K's JJ Niles center on Saturday. The rest of the time we will talk and play.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
6 years ago
231 posts

So sad that it is canceled. Driven as everything nowadays by the bottom line.

I am certainly open to coming. What kind of structure is anyone thinking of?

I don't do well jamming for hours on end. I never have been able to play well in a group. Too much auditory input drives my meager mind crazy somehow. I am probably not skilled enough to teach anyone anything so I'd be soaking up info from others. Sure would like to meet some of the folks from FOTMD.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,113 posts

Love that Hot Brown; also Burgoo.  We'll find someplace to take over!

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
6 years ago
386 posts

Dan the Man!  It would be great to see you and the others in Berea or Hindman (or the Museum of Appalachia, for that matter).  The Dinner Bell restaurant has the official "Kentucky Hot Brown", which I learned about down there.  

I'm flexible as far as dates and times.  There are several inexpensive motels around there that I know of.  The big question is if we can find an indoor space somewhere to inhabit for a while.

Dan
Dan
@dan
6 years ago
180 posts

Yes, I'm going to try to make it. I'll drive there just for the Dinner Bell to eat! Let me know where....

DAN

dulcimoredan@gmail.com

(yes this is a public address)

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,113 posts

Just sent y'all an email.  I'll be there!  Just booked an AirBnb room in Berea for $30 a night -- hard to beat that!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,071 posts

I sent out an email tonight to a few folks who expressed interest in still getting together. If you want to be included, please let me know.

Ken

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
6 years ago
420 posts

Having been involved in the 1st 3 Homecomings, I am very saddened that they are having to cancel after scheduling it this year.  I hope they will be able to set something up for next year and keep it regardless of the perceived attendance.  They were a fun time.  Even the last one when there was no water was a good one.  Let's see what we can do.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,071 posts

I could do Friday and Saturday. I have a reservation at the Quality Inn for Sunday night, but don't mind moving.

Ken

David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
6 years ago
60 posts

I wonder if people knowing about the recent flooding in Hindman had any impact on the low registration.

I have a couple of friends in my local club that were planning on just showing up without pre-registering so they wouldn't be out any money if they had to back out, a legitimate concern. Several weeks ago I tried to get them to register arguing that the planners needed to know ahead of time how many would be there, especially as meals were provided. But they still wouldn't pre-register. I'm wondering if there were others planning on showing up without pre-registering. I'm not busting on these folks. But if this was a factor in cancelling the event perhaps it shows the need to pre-registering. But I could be wrong!!  :)

David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
6 years ago
60 posts

For those planning on going to the Hindman Dulcimer non-Home Coming and now thinking about meeting in Berea we need to decide on dates in order to make reservations.

The Hindman Dulcimer Home Coming was scheduled 8-11 March. The 8th is Thursday. Do we want to meet on the 9th and 10th (Fri & Sat)?  I'd probably need to leave Sunday but might be able to adjust with enough notice.

Maybe Warren May would have some ideas where we could meet.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,415 posts

I am so sorry to see this!  And hope some folks may still get together.  

It is sad to me that an area which has figured prominently in the development of the modern lap dulcimer will not have a fest to celebrate the people and its history in the development and popularizing of the mountain dulcimer. 

updated by @robin-thompson: 02/23/18 04:13:46PM
David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
6 years ago
60 posts

Maybe we can meet in Berea.  We always like staying at the Boone Tavern on the campus of Berea College and on the same block as Warren May's shop... What do you think?

David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
6 years ago
60 posts

Here's part of the email I received:

"My name is Brett Ratliff and I’m the Director of Cultural Heritage Programs at Hindman Settlement School. I regret to inform you that it is not viable for us at this point to move forward with the Hindman Dulcimer Homecoming due to low enrollment and the risk of not covering our costs, which is a risk we are simply not in a position to take. In light of this, we have made the difficult decision to cancel this year’s event. We realize that you have made special arrangements in order to be with us, so we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your support..."

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,247 posts

Is the Hindman gathering really cancelled?  Have they given a reason?

--
Site Owner

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
6 years ago
386 posts

I'm currently planning to still go down there personally, to see the guys at the shop. 

Berea can work for me.  I always look in on Warren May when I go through there.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,071 posts

I have not received the official notice yet. While I am not out as much as you are Ken, I do have a non-refundable motel reservation in Berea for Sunday night. Is there a way a few of us who might be interested can meet, visit, and play together? It doesn't have to be in Hindman (not lodging there).

Ken

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,113 posts

CANCELLED!!!!  I'm sorry, but that's really tacky to cancel an event two weeks before it's supposed to take place!  Now I'm out $400 because I'm betting the airline won't refund my airfare; and the rental car agency my deposit.  Theoretically we'll get our Festival money back... provided they haven't spent it on something already.

Not just disappointed; I'm really peeved!  I've seen several Festivals fail over the years, but they just didn't schedule any others.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,071 posts

Great John. I can't wait to see you again.

Ken

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,113 posts

Great John; lookin' forward to meeting you!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,247 posts

Richard, your FOTMD pinback buttons are in the mail!   grin

--
Site Owner

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
6 years ago
231 posts

Glad to hear it John. Look forward to meeting you.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,247 posts

That's great John!  frog

--
Site Owner

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
6 years ago
386 posts

Well, it's official now... I'm heading to Hindman!  

I can't miss the opportunity to see you fine folks again, as well as some of my wonderful customers!

Don't know yet if I'll be a vendor -- I don't seem to fare too well at dulcimer selling there.  I plan to bring my newest walnut Thomas though, and a black poplar one if I can put one together in time.  We'll see.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,071 posts

I also made a contribution.

Ken

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,113 posts

Yeah -- I got the email from them too.  Hopefully things will be dried out when we get there.  I've sent a donation...

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,071 posts

For those going to Hindman next month, you might be interest to know that there was severe flooding around the settlement school. Here is a link  Hindman Flooding  with a couple of photos and a link to donate to recovery efforts if you so choose.

Ken

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,113 posts

Yeah -- I never had an FOTMD Button, but will scribble it on my (mandatory at these sorts of things) Name Tag.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,415 posts

Yes, a group photo!  

Maybe next year I can make it to Hindman.  

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,071 posts

I never had a FOTMD button, but I think we will find each other. Let's try to remember to organize and take a group photo at least.

Ken

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,247 posts

Don't forget to wear your FOTMD buttons if you have them!  Laugh

--
Site Owner

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
6 years ago
231 posts

Looking forward to meeting all of the FOTMD family who can attend. Should be great fun.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,113 posts

We'll look forward to meeting you there.

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
6 years ago
231 posts

Thanks Ken and Dan. Just wanted to know. I am planning to attend if all goes well.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,071 posts

Richard, I had a small stand for two years at Hindman. I am not vending this year. I sold books and accessories rather than instruments. I think those who did bring instruments the first year found that there was not much of an interest in buying dulcimers by participants. Maybe this year will be different.

Ken

Dan
Dan
@dan
6 years ago
180 posts

Richard Streib:

Does any one know if this event has dulcimer vendors?

Thanks

They are invited. I believe John is trying to go....

DAN

www.dulcimore.com

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
6 years ago
231 posts

Does any one know if this event has dulcimer vendors?

Thanks

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,071 posts

You're welcome, Robin. I remember you being there. This will be my fourth. Haven't missed one yet.

Ken

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,415 posts

Thanks, Ken!  When I got to the Hindman fest in '15, I loved it!  

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,071 posts

Thanks. Lisa. I found a few minutes to sit, so I worked on it. grin

Ken

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,247 posts

Good one, Ken.  yes

--
Site Owner

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,071 posts

I created an event notice for the Homecoming. Once Lisa approves it, it will appear in the Events listings. I supplied the date, place, and link to the Homecoming website. Let me know if you think there should be more there.

Ken

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,247 posts

To whoever submits the notice in our site's "Events/Festivals" list....some info bits you should know:

1) it's free

2) you can add an image to the listing, which makes it way more eye catching interesting to look at.

3) It won't actually show up for the general membership until I approve it- but I'll be watching for it and will approve it right away once it's submitted by someone.

4) make sure just 'one' person is going to submit it to the fotmd calendar, so there are not 'dueling submissions'.   ;)

5) to create the calendar listing, you need to do it from your own profile page.

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 01/11/18 09:49:54AM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,415 posts

Ken L's got it, John K.  There's something in the works for getting word out here in near future, though. 

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,071 posts

That's a good question John. My guess is that none of the organizers are members here. If I had time I would do it, but I'm really busy tomorrow and heading out of town for a few days and will have spotty internet connections. Maybe I'll do it when I get home, if someone doesn't do it before me.

Ken

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
6 years ago
386 posts

Why hasn't this weekend been listed with the upcoming events and festivals yet?

At least post the dates for folks to set aside on their calendars.  Time's a-wastin'!

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
6 years ago
399 posts

Richard,  you said, "Hoefully that [noter/drone] influence will be felt." 

Have no worries!

I know the class sessions haven't been announced, yet, but there are many fine noter/drone players-performers-instructors-enthusiasts on the staff, so there's no doubt that you will have a fine offering of classes in this playing style. Also, as Ken H. points out, outside the class times there will, additionally, be a lot of great music sharing among the participants and you can join whichever group draws your interest...many of these will be noter/drone. 

I've been to Hindman many times for a variety of events and am sorry I will miss this since I'll be out of state at another dulcimer gathering the same weekend. I know most of the people on staff and they will provide what you're looking for!   I hope you do get to go and if you do get there, I hope you have a grand time!  Tell us all about it when it's over!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
6 years ago
231 posts

Thanks Ken and Ken. I would like to go. Wanted to see what sessions might be offered. Glad to hear there was good input via facebook (I don't do facebook). Hopefully that influence will be felt.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,113 posts

I'm reasonably sure there will be a good bit of N&D things.  There was a pretty vociferous chain of posts on FB concerning that very subject.  Some of us are planning getting together for just such activities not matter how much 'official' N&D there is...

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,071 posts

Richard, as fas I know, the workshop offerings have not been posted yet. I know a couple of people made the suggestion to Lorinda Jones that she offer such a workshop. There will be a few noter drone players there.

Ken

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
6 years ago
231 posts

Does anyone know if some of the sessions will have noter drone emphasis?

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
1,415 posts

If a miracle of some kind takes place-- some unforeseen postive happening-- I may be able to make it. 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,113 posts

Yeah -- sorry to hear you won't make it Robin; I was looking forward to meeting you also...

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
7 years ago
1,071 posts

Sorry to hear that the senior housing fell through. I'll miss you. I took care of my mother and father at different times. Cherish your time with them.

Ken

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
1,415 posts

I'd had hopes of getting to attend. Then the attempts at getting my parents moved into Senior house failed.  So, likely, I'll still be living with my folks in March. 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,113 posts

Hopefully they'll list the sessions soon.  Here are some sessions offered last year:

Old Time Music for Beginners
Key of A
Ballads
Beginning Dulcimer
Singing with the Dulcimer
Counter Melodies
Little Songs
Irish Drinking Tunes
Surviving A Jam Session
Key of G

There were also seminars on dulcimer construction and Sacred Harp/Shape Note Singing

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
7 years ago
231 posts

Ken,

I did not see any sessions listed yet. Do you know what kind of sessions may have been offered in the past years?

Thanks

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
7 years ago
1,071 posts

I just received information on registration for the 2018 Hindman Dulcimer Homecoming. Here is the link: https://www.hindmansettlement.org/programs/cultural-heritage-programs/dulcimer-homecoming/ This is the first year that the homecoming will be under the direction of the Hindman Settlement School rather than the Appalachian Artisan Center. I am registered and look forward to seeing other mountain dulcimer enthusiasts there.

Ken

updated by @ken-longfield: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM