Play Music On the Porch Day 2018!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,414 posts

Thinking of y'all playing makes me smile.  

dulcinina
@dulcinina
6 years ago
87 posts

A friend and I played on her screened in porch overlooking her lovely flower garden.  But  we were soon overpowered by the neighbor's weed eater.  No problem, though.  We had a great time and lots of laughs.  Music heals the soul.  Dulcinina

marg
@marg
6 years ago
615 posts

Count me in on Playing On the Porch Day '18

I had a friend over and we played as the sun went down and the stars came out, north of Houston in Spring, TX

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,720 posts

The air was still smokey from all the fires in Cali, and we even had ash falling onto our dulcimers, but a few of us from my local music group, River City Dulcimers, moved to the sidewalk in front of the Strum Shop where we meet monthly.  We tried to get video, but the noise from the street overpowered the dulcimers. I decided to play one of my octave dulcimers, just to expand the tonal range of our little band of dulciholics. We played five tunes: The Ash Grove, Holy Manna, Simple Gifts, Skye Boat Song, and Southwind.

RCD on play music on your porch day 2018.jpg

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 08/28/18 02:32:22AM
hugssandi
@hugssandi
6 years ago
244 posts

So far we have enjoyed three friends from church, a visitor from China, and a neighbor doing Native drumming, guitar, accordion, mountain dulcimer, a little kid piano, show tunes, and opera. OH my day has already been made, and I don't even think it's over yet...

This pic was taken before it all kicked off.  The table filled with food~sweet tea, muffins, veggie tray, fruit, summer sausage, cheese, and cranberry bars.  

Well, new players just showed up...

So that  was a bit ago, my post didn't send, but I had a very talented, classical guitarist with his very talented, singing wife playing uke.  They are AMAZING, and they were here for about four, glorious songs....

sam porch pic.jpg
sam porch pic.jpg  •  132KB

Lisa Golladay
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
6 years ago
108 posts

This year I'm delegating to the next generation.  Our son's band is playing an outdoor festival this evening and we'll go to cheer him on (the fact that it is a Food Truck Festival and I'm getting hungry has absolutely nothing to do with this). 

spaghetti

Unfortunately, this means we're missing the block party here at home.  There's too much stuff happening in August!!  Last year the uke club declared our hangout's beer garden to be a "porch" and we played all afternoon.  But this year we played a gig Wednesday and there's a uke festival tomorrow so we were too overwhelmed to try anything today.

I may declare a local Play Music On The Porch Day in September.  I'll claim it has something to do with daylight savings time.  Come to think of it, maybe I should declare a Porch Music day every month as penance for abandoning the block party.  I feel guilty but I gotta run.  I'm gunning for a caprese grilled cheese with fresh basil, tomatoes, mozzarella and pesto mayo.  But Tamale Spaceship has confit-style duck with dried fruit mole and cranberries.  Too many events and too much food!!!  Did I mention I love August?

I hope everybody has a great Saturday night.  On the porch or elsewhere. :-)

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,073 posts

Well, no one else showed up, so I played solo. I did a few tunes on mountain dulcimer and then a few on banjo. No videos.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Ron Zuckerman
Ron Zuckerman
@ron-zuckerman
6 years ago
6 posts

I recorded six videos. I posted the first 3, and I'll post the last 3 tomorrow.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,414 posts

We played and posted video evidence here on FOTMD!  :)

Happy strumming', friends!

David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
6 years ago
60 posts

TPvE72D.tmp.jpg  I'm not sure yet if'n I'll be on my porch or someone else's. I'll keep you poated.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,111 posts

Sittin' on the dock of the bay.  In the shade on Bay street just half  block from my boat on the river.  Lotsa folk walk that way crossing the bridge as part of an exercise plan.  

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,720 posts

My local dulcimer group meets tomorrow. Our plan is to practice a little bit and then move our chairs to the sidewalk in front of the music store where we meet and play 5 or 6 tunes.  I'll try to get a video or at least a still photo or two.

Once I get home I hope to play on my front lawn with neighbors who play fiddle and banjo.  I fear they're out of town and I'll be there all by my lonesome.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,073 posts

I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch and playing a tune or two. If any friends stop by they are welcome to play as well. I left the invitation opened ended so anyone can show up between 1 and 4 p.m. After that we are heading to a baseball game. We will see what happens. Have a good day everyone.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

hugssandi
@hugssandi
6 years ago
244 posts

Please come tell me about your plans for tomorrow, and follow up with pics later!  

I love this day.  This will be our third year participating.  We are still making a poster to hang from the porch, I have a few chalkboards to draw on, we will put out a table with iced tea and cups and whatever instruments we can find around the house, and I've invited all kinds of musical folk to show up!  Usually it's just us and our neighbor, but ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN!  

I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!

updated by @hugssandi: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM