How Many Dulcimers Do You Own?

Susie
Susie
@susie
2 years ago
500 posts

ocean-daughter:

Well, I have another one!  I found it on the goodwill site.  It looks like a Black Mountain, but has no label. 

I'll post some pictures of some of my dulcimers a little later. 

This one came with only one string (the bass string); also the saddle is a bit damaged and the nut is a bit out of place.  So I'm going to take it to my favorite luthier down the road. 

Neat, congrats! Would love to see pics when you have time.

Lenard
Lenard
@lenard
2 years ago
9 posts

ocean-daughter:

Well, I have another one!  I found it on the goodwill site.  It looks like a Black Mountain, but has no label. 

This one came with only one string (the bass string); also the saddle is a bit damaged and the nut is a bit out of place.  So I'm going to take it to my favorite luthier down the road. 

LOL, I have never  found a bad dulcimer...just some better than others. :)

ocean-daughter
@ocean-daughter
2 years ago
45 posts

Lenard
Lenard
@lenard
2 years ago
9 posts

Cindy Stammich:

Love all these dulcimers!  Which brings me to the question…..

How many dulcimers does a dulcimer player need?

Just one more! dulcimer

Cindy Stammich:

Just one more! dulcimer

I like it!! I like it a bunch.

Lenard
Lenard
@lenard
2 years ago
9 posts

Susie:

Lenard:

I have seven.  My wife purchase a McSpadden for me years ago, a banjo style and five that I made myself.

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing your dulcimer collection!

Lenard
Lenard
@lenard
2 years ago
9 posts

I have seven dulcimers.  Over the years, I have made thirty nine of them.  I have a new one underway.  It will feature Gonca Alves, Lacewood, Zebrawood and either the Honduras or Nicaraguan Rosewood, I'll have to check the packing slip to see for sure.  I have been purchasing my wood from The Wood & Shop Inc.  They ship high quaility wood products and usually get the stuff within a week of ordering.  Most generally I use Cedar, Mahogany and Walnut.

If there are anyother dulcimer enthusist in the Cheyenne Wyoming area, we have dulcimer practice at Salt Life Church at 6:00 p.m.

ryanpryor
@ryanpryor
2 years ago
4 posts

Still waiting to get my first mountain dulcimer (my wife says I have to put together my ukulele kit before getting the next StewMac kit for a dulcimer).

But I do have ...10(?++) stick/pickin'/strum dulcimer guitars.

I do not have a habit, it's entirely intentional, I can quit anytime I want.

Susie
Susie
@susie
2 years ago
500 posts

Lenard:

I have six.  My wife purchase a McSpadden for me years ago, a banjo style and four that I made myself.

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing your dulcimer collection!

Lenard
Lenard
@lenard
2 years ago
9 posts

I have six.  My wife purchase a McSpadden for me years ago, a banjo style and four that I made myself.

Number 38.jpg
Number 38.jpg  •  1MB

Number 39.jpg
Number 39.jpg  •  1.2MB

Moms-Joanie-Banjo.JPG

Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
2 years ago
68 posts

Just one more! dulcimer

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,073 posts

Oops, it looks like I got dogs and dulcimers confused.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Susie
Susie
@susie
2 years ago
500 posts

Ken Longfield:

Congratulations on acquiring your eighth dulcimer. It is beautiful and I am sure it sounds great. Enjoy.

Ken

Thanks Ken! It does sound really nice. BTW, it's only #7, I surely don't expect a #8. winker

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,073 posts

Congratulations on acquiring your eighth dulcimer. It is beautiful and I am sure it sounds great. Enjoy.

Ken

Susie
Susie
@susie
2 years ago
500 posts

Kendra Ward:

Hi Susie! That is so beautiful! As it turns out, Bob and I actually saw it a couple of weeks ago at Folkcraft. ☺️ Richard showed it to us and told us about the wood. I drooled over the cat paw sound holes…lol…🐾🐾 Congratulations!

Wow, that's neat to hear. I saw the pictures of your visit to Folkcraft. It's cool you saw it. Richard and crew picked out a fabulous set of Hickory for it. I've been playing it today. It has such a pretty voice and the sustain is remarkable.  Of course, the workmanship is fabulous. But one correction, they are dog paws, winker haha. I do think he has cat soundholes too. Since I've had 7 family dogs in my life so far (#8 is on the way), you can officially call me a dog person.

Kendra Ward
Kendra Ward
@kendra-ward
2 years ago
10 posts

Hi Susie! That is so beautiful! As it turns out, Bob and I actually saw it a couple of weeks ago at Folkcraft. ☺️ Richard showed it to us and told us about the wood. I drooled over the cat paw sound holes…lol…🐾🐾 Congratulations!

Susie
Susie
@susie
2 years ago
500 posts

Dusty Turtle:

Looks beautiful.  Congrats on your new baby.

Thank so much, Dusty!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

Looks beautiful.  Congrats on your new baby.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Susie
Susie
@susie
2 years ago
500 posts

Update, I just added dulcimer #7. My last. winker giggle2

I've wanted a Hickory dulcimer for awhile now. This is it. A Folkcraft FSH. I also had Richard engrave a maple leaf at the 5th fret, since my husband and I have been producers of Michigan Pure Maple Syrup since 2008. I'm really happy with this dulcimer....it sounds great and plays perfectly.

FolkcraftFSH (1).jpg

FolkcraftFSH 2.jpg

FolkcraftFSH 3.jpg

squeakyhawk
@squeakyhawk
2 years ago
7 posts

Susie Thank you so much .  I am looking forward to getting better on getting better on my playing mountain dulcimer 

squeakyhawk
@squeakyhawk
2 years ago
7 posts

Susie:

squeakyhawk:

I own 3 guitars one which I got as a gift in 1978 made by Eagle and two Taylor’s.  I am learning Native American Flute…..I have too many to count.  I have a McNally Stick, Djembe. I was given a mountain dulcimer for a my birthday and I bought another mountain dulcimer while on vacation .  I am not sure if I have enough mountain dulcimers.  Lol 😆 Along with miscellaneous musical instruments 

There's a group of us here with interest in Native American Flutes. You fit right in with your growing collection of them, along with your growing collection of dulcimers. winker

Susie
Susie
@susie
2 years ago
500 posts

squeakyhawk:

I own 3 guitars one which I got as a gift in 1978 made by Eagle and two Taylor’s.  I am learning Native American Flute…..I have too many to count.  I have a McNally Stick, Djembe. I was given a mountain dulcimer for a my birthday and I bought another mountain dulcimer while on vacation .  I am not sure if I have enough mountain dulcimers.  Lol 😆 Along with miscellaneous musical instruments 

There's a group of us here with interest in Native American Flutes. You fit right in with your growing collection of them, along with your growing collection of dulcimers. winker

squeakyhawk
@squeakyhawk
2 years ago
7 posts

Kendra Ward
Kendra Ward
@kendra-ward
2 years ago
10 posts

Susie:

Wow Kendra, thank you for sharing. Impressive, to have have so many heirloom instruments. I have one.....my grandpa's fiddle, that he got when he was 16 (1914). I also wondered about Bob's guitar stable. I was up to 7 at one point, but have thinned the herd to 4. Bob needs to catch up to your collection, haha.

Thank you so much! You are blessed as well to have your grandpa’s fiddle…Wow! Awesome! There is nothing more special thank to have these family heirlooms! 

Lol…Bob has many special guitars, but he has one that he loves the best! He thinks it is the perfect guitar to accompany the dulcimer and I agree… he is one with this guitar! He loves his other guitars, but he is connected to his Taylor! ❤️🎶😁

Susie
Susie
@susie
2 years ago
500 posts

Wow Kendra, thank you for sharing. Impressive, to have have so many heirloom instruments. I have one.....my grandpa's fiddle, that he got when he was 16 (1914). I also wondered about Bob's guitar stable. I was up to 7 at one point, but have thinned the herd to 4. Bob needs to catch up to your collection, haha.

Kendra Ward
Kendra Ward
@kendra-ward
2 years ago
10 posts

Hello, my most precious dulcimer is my Grandmother’s dulcimer, made in 1894. My second most precious dulcimer is one made by my dad in 1925, when he was 16 years old. My third most precious dulcimer is a courting dulcimer that my dad made in 1975 to play with my mom. (My husband and I still play it all the time) I grew up playing the dulcimer, so I have many dulcimers…probably 60 or more. Every one of these instruments have a story and almost every one of them are regularly played. 

As far as other instruments, I have many family heirloom instruments because most my family were all musicians. I have several banjos, including my grandmother’s and my uncle’s. I have several fiddles including those that my dad played and other family members. I have my mom’s accordion. I have my grandmother’s pump organ.

Other instruments include my upright bass that I purchased when I was in high school. I also have two pianos, several autoharps, several bowed psalterys, various band instruments that I played including flute and clarinet, ukes, misc. rhythm instruments, misc. instruments in general, and more.

Now, let me tell you about the guitars my husband has…he has 14+! Some are one of a kind and some are from my family! 

I am blessed! 

Susie
Susie
@susie
2 years ago
500 posts

ocean-daughter:

I have a couple more dulcimers since I last posted! 

I have a Cripple Creek "Aspen Leaf," which is shaped rather like a Galax dulcimer--more of an oval than a teardrop.  Came from eBay and needed some work to get it playable.  But I love the leaves-and-vines soundholes, and it sounds good now. 

And, a no-name dulcimer, also from eBay, all mahogany, built by a shipwright. 

I previously forgot to mention that I have two "travel size" dulcimers, one from the Dulcimer Factory and one by Rugg and Jackel. 

Most of mine are diatonic, and I'm thinking of having the 6+ fret added to a couple of them. 

Sounds like your family is growing.

The 6+ fret is quite useful. 

updated by @susie: 06/18/22 11:52:25AM
Susie
Susie
@susie
2 years ago
500 posts

Riverene:

Only one (so far), but it's not here yet - just shipped and will be here next Thursday.  It's built by Dan Daniels of New Traditions Dulcimers in Indiana.  

Rene

Exciting. I've heard wonderful things about Dan's dulcimers. Maybe you could show it to us after you get it. 

Riverene
Riverene
@riverene
2 years ago
1 posts

Only one (so far), but it's not here yet - just shipped and will be here next Thursday.  It's built by Dan Daniels of New Traditions Dulcimers in Indiana.  

Rene

Noah Cline
Noah Cline
@noah-cline
2 years ago
7 posts

Thanks!  @theresasc

ocean-daughter
@ocean-daughter
2 years ago
45 posts

I have a couple more dulcimers since I last posted! 

I have a Cripple Creek "Aspen Leaf," which is shaped rather like a Galax dulcimer--more of an oval than a teardrop.  Came from eBay and needed some work to get it playable.  But I love the leaves-and-vines soundholes, and it sounds good now. 

And, a no-name dulcimer, also from eBay, all mahogany, built by a shipwright. 

I previously forgot to mention that I have two "travel size" dulcimers, one from the Dulcimer Factory and one by Rugg and Jackel. 

Most of mine are diatonic, and I'm thinking of having the 6+ fret added to a couple of them. 

Susie
Susie
@susie
2 years ago
500 posts

Richard Streib:

Congrats on  your new dulcimer. I know you are excited.

Thank you Richard. nod

TheresaSC
TheresaSC
@theresasc
2 years ago
11 posts

Noah Cline:

Probably a bit of a shocker for some, but at the moment, I only own...one! A walnut teardrop and the second dulcimer I’ve built (same one in my profile pic). 

Oh you are a radical!  LOL. That is a lovely instrument.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

At the moment, I have 8 mountain dulcimers here in the house and soon the number will be 7.  (My oldest niece is interested in mountain dulcimer and I will be giving one to her when life allows.)  Over the past year or so, I've passed several instruments along to a couple young people and hope they enjoy them for a long time!

In addition, I have 3 Ken Bloom bowed dulcimers and one Michael Fox Dulcijo.   

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,248 posts

I have two mountain dulcimers:
A cherry Galax by Ben Seymour, and a curly maple teardrop by Keith Young.
- I also have an old factory/kit dulcimer that someone gave me years ago, but I don't find it easy to play so I only use it for beginner video demos, since it does not have a visually distracting 1.5 fret.

I also have four 'dulcimer ancestor' type instruments: two epinettes, a hummel, and a langspil.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Noah Cline
Noah Cline
@noah-cline
2 years ago
7 posts

Probably a bit of a shocker for some, but at the moment, I only own...one! A walnut teardrop and the second dulcimer I’ve built (same one in my profile pic). 

Silverstrings
Silverstrings
@silverstrings
2 years ago
54 posts

I have added a dulcimer since last year. I own three McSpadden dulcimers and one Black Mountain dulcimer. My latest is a Ginger McSpadden dulcimer made of redwood and black walnut with an ebony fretboard. It belonged to the late Jan Schultz. I bought it a month ago. It has a deep, round tone. For a small dulcimer, it a surprisingly loud. If I had to have only one dulcimer, this would be the one.

updated by @silverstrings: 06/01/22 07:56:37PM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,073 posts

Joe, it is wonderful to hear that Joe Sanguinette started you on your dulcimer journey. He was a very nice gentleman and good builder. I hope you are enjoying and playing all of those "revival" dulcimers. My profile of Joe appeared in DPN Volume 23, No. 3 in 1997.

Ken

updated by @ken-longfield: 06/01/22 05:46:06PM
Joe Madl
Joe Madl
@joe-madl
2 years ago
2 posts

I am beginning to feel like a bit of a hoarder as I’m reading about everyone’s collections! At last count, I have 57 dulcimers in my collection, mostly vintage 60’s, 70’s & 80’s. Though I haven’t counted them since my last move five years ago, so I’m guessing it’s more in the mid to upper 60’s for count now. I’ve been collecting since 1981 after meeting and and purchasing my very first dulcimer from Joe Sanguinette. Little did Joe know what a crazy odyssey of a love affair that little 15 year old boy who shared his first name would go on to have with dulcimers…all because of him!

Susie
Susie
@susie
2 years ago
500 posts

Nice to see I'm not the only one adding to their collection. Thanks for sharing.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
2,111 posts

Updated since last year:

Jacob Gross fretted zither -- replica of one in the Mercer Museum
Large Burnsville NC holly leaf
Small Burnsville NC holly leaf
Til Holloway hourglass  -- out on loan
Harry Wicker KY hourglass
Ozark Walking Stick coffin shape
Korean Honda hourglass -- out on loan
John Knopf JE Thomas replica hourglass 
Bobby Ratliff Hogfiddle elliptical
Bobby Ratliff Cumberland Travel model elliptical 
2 Anglo-Saxon Lyres
1 laptop Cajon Box Drum
4 Mirliton flutes
2 Pennywhistles

updated by @ken-hulme: 05/31/22 10:19:29PM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,073 posts

I just looked at the previous post in this discussion. I need to update my list and add a violin my wife found in a closet when doing spring cleaning. Neither one of us remembers where it came from. Also, I now have three more dulcimers and an Oscar Schmidt autoharp. I also discovered a recorder, tin whistle, and Native American flute. There are probably still more for me to find in closest and cabinets.

Ken

updated by @ken-longfield: 06/01/22 01:14:05PM
TheresaSC
TheresaSC
@theresasc
2 years ago
11 posts

As of right now, I do not have any mountain dulcimers but I have one on order and one kit that needs to be built.

Ron Gibson cherry - on order

Hughes walnut kit - to be built

I do have other stringed instruments:

3 concert ukulele

1 tenor ukulele

a Seagull Merlin stick dulcimer

a McNally strum stick

and for fun, a couple of kazoo's

I do not want to even try to count how many weaving looms I have, so I understand acquisition diseases quite well.  At first I was surprised when all of the sudden I had 4 ukulele, but I should have known it would happen🤣

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
2 years ago
231 posts

Congrats on  your new dulcimer. I know you are excited.

Susie
Susie
@susie
2 years ago
500 posts

Dulcimer Acquisition Disease. wasntme

I ordered #7 today. I've been contemplating this one for quite a while. My husband said "life can through you a curve ball at any time....just do it". So I got my order in. A 4 month wait begins. whistle

(Hickory sweetness, with some secial features.)

updated by @susie: 05/31/22 04:46:37PM
Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

Ethan Chastain:

but are always open to more ; )

thumbsup

Ethan Chastain
Ethan Chastain
@ethan-chastain
3 years ago
5 posts

Our family owns 6 of them, but are always open to more ; )

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
3 years ago
188 posts

It seems I somehow only have nine now.

1 McSpadden,

1 Arthur lee West,

1 Fred Martin Bowed,

1 Gardener Teardrop,

2 Blue Lions,

1 Rugg and Jackel,

1 Jenny Lind Gibson,

1 HA Fleming

and a Hoffner Electric 

and selling a RS dulcimer, John A Maxwell, Daron Dulcimer and an unknown + an 1850-1870 Friedrich Augusta Glass Violin

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,073 posts

Haha, John. I can only claim four bells in our choir, E flat 4, E4, F4, and F#4. I wouldn't ever try to play all 12 bells in an octave.

Ken

Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

Rob and John, thanks for sharing. It's interesting to see the other instruments that people play too.

JohnR
JohnR
@johnr
3 years ago
3 posts

I have two dulcimers, both McSpaddens (one a baritone).  I also have a recorder and triangle.  The piano is upstairs.

But I can inflate my numbers by counting the hand bells and hand chimes I "own" at church - the low octave (C3 - B4), 12 bells, 12 chimes.  Admittedly this may be cheating as I really play them as a unit.

I enjoy the dulcimer playing the most.

Rob Williams
Rob Williams
@rob-williams
3 years ago
3 posts

Between my wife and I if we cold get them all rounded up in the same room at once I think the correct number is 7.  Including a pretty old cardboard dulcimer, a couple of what I suppose are home-made dulcimers my wife picked up when she worked 1 day a week in an antique shop, a small Cripple Creek (think cheap) dulcimer from the same shop, a TK O'Brian, a Hill Country Dulcimer and a courting Dulcimer.  Our latest acquisition was last month when my wife found a Cedar Creek 12/11 Hammered Dulcimer at a garage sale, but I'm not sure I should count it in with its Mountain Dulcimer "cousins."  Oh yeah, I forgot... I also have a Cedar Creek Strumstick.

updated by @rob-williams: 05/21/21 02:29:46PM
Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

I've enjoyed this thread. Thank you to everyone who shared. Whether you have 1 dulcimer or 10, we share a common love for this beautiful little wooden box with strings. 

Have fun! dulcimer

ocean-daughter
@ocean-daughter
3 years ago
45 posts

Hmm, I just counted and I have nine dulcimers! 

the Cripple Creek kit I built in 1996

a Folk Roots dulcimer a friend gave me

two Black Mountains, one cherry and one walnut

an unknown dulcimer that looks like a Black Mountain, possibly built from a kit

Another unknown with the names "Bodd & Eye" engraved inside

Yet another unknown with inlay trim around the edges

a Russ Green hourglass

a little "board dulcimer" by a man in Kentucky, which I got for travel

All except the first two came to me from eBay or shopgoodwill dot com.  I've been learning what I like in a dulcimer. I love finding different quirky unknown instruments, and it's a wonder I don't have a dozen or more yet.  I also plan to have extra frets added to a couple. 

I do envy those of you who have made several, but I'm hoping to do that myself when I make space in the garage. 

jost
@jost
3 years ago
76 posts

Up to now just one dulcimer ( I plan to get another one spontan though) but I already have a mild case of Instrument acquisation  sydrome:

- One dulcimer ( beginner level)

- two classical guitars and one lute guitar ( not a beginner but no Bert Jansch either)

- Two tin whistles ( D and C tuning, beginner) 

- One mandolin ( my latest addition, still struggling with the first song after one month)

NateBuildsToys
NateBuildsToys
@nate
3 years ago
238 posts

Super cool how many of y'all have other instruments aside from dulcimers!

While 95% of what I play is a dulcimer I also pick up my other instruments on occasion:

-a few acoustic guitars
-2 electric guitars
-a mandolin
-an ukulele
-a dozen or so harmonicas
-a D tin whistle
-a 10 string lyre harp
-an ocarina
-an electric keyboard
-a few cigar box guitars
and some folksey stuff like a jaw harp, washboard, washtub bass, tambourine shoe, kazoos and a couple more I'm sure I'm forgetting

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
3 years ago
143 posts

I forgot about the limberjack.....

Silverstrings
Silverstrings
@silverstrings
3 years ago
54 posts

I have sold several guitars. Currently, I only own the three dulcimers and a rain stick.

Gale A Barr
Gale A Barr
@gale-a-barr
3 years ago
36 posts

LOL to "Bag of Kazoos" band! 

I guess I will add to my list (forgot about these the first time) - 

• Fender guitar - my first stringed instrument
  • Gretsch 5 string banjo
  • Several pennywhistles in D
  • Native American Flute in B minor - High Spirits
  • Old band instruments - flute, oboe. cornet
  • Gretsch sunburst mandolin (my husband is playing this)
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,720 posts

"Bag of Kazoos" would be a good name for a jug band. Or even just a folk jam.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,073 posts

Since folks are adding to their instrument inventory, I'll add a few since my original response only included mountain dulcimers, zitters, and other instruments I made. So in addition to all of that I have two more open back banjos, three acoustic guitars, a soprano ukulele, a D tin whistle, a recorder, a jaw harp, a couple of harmonicas. an assortment of rhythm instruments (spoons, Catspaws, limber jack, etc.), a small tambourine, and bag of kazoos. Oh, an electronic keyboard which I don't play, but my wife does. There might be a few more instruments around the house that I've forgotten about.

Ken

Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

Skip, you bring up a good point, about other instruments. I've been suffering from GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) much longer than DAD (dulcimer acquisition disease). My first love, fingerstyle guitar (since 1973), has been my true passion for nearly 48 years. I've settled into a stable of 6 guitars and 1 guilele. Many other instruments (primarily stringed instruments)  have come and gone over the years, but I'm simplifying to just guitar, dulcimer, and Native American flute (I have 5). In fact, my last banjo is moving on to a new home this week. I was in band all through school, where I played flute, then alto saxophone. Music has been such a joy in my life. sun

Skip
Skip
@skip
3 years ago
359 posts

It's interesting to see that many folks have more instruments than just mountain dulcimers.

In addition to my dulcimers, I have a bodhran, half a dozen or so diatonic harmonicas, a chromatic harmonica, several pennywhistles, a full size keyboard, and 5 autoharps [three chromatics, two 2 key diatonics, FC and GD] and a 15/16 hammered dulcimer I made and still have. I've tried guitars and a banjo but they didn't, physically, work for me.

I guess I have IAD, but music is such a fascinating subject and has so many facets and challenges it's easy to overindulge! Especially for a non-music oriented retiree [no music instruments at all before retiring].

Silverstrings
Silverstrings
@silverstrings
3 years ago
54 posts

Susie:

Some really neat collections here. I can get a feel for the type of music that is played, just by looking at the collection. Such a variety, between members. Thanks to all who have shared so far, it's been fun to follow.

Susie, that would be a great question for the members. 

For example, I am in a dulcimer group that plays traditional music. However, I tend to play Renaissance, Celtic, Manx, Baroque, and a few pieces from the Middle Ages when I am by myself. 

Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

Some really neat collections here. I can get a feel for the type of music that is played, just by looking at the collection. Such a variety, between members. Thanks to all who have shared so far, it's been fun to follow.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,415 posts

@steven-berger So, you're who has that checkerboard TMB John built-- I remember it!  You've got a cool collection of instruments which, I imagine, give you lots of joy in making the kinds of music you want to make.  

@susie I can imagine those little Gingers are much handier to have when traveling and space is at a premium.  Enjoy your little DAD Ginger, your final dulcimer (you think).  

Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

Robin Thompson:

@susie Do tell! nod

I decided that my McSpadden Ginger (intonated GDG) needed a sister, so I ordered a walnut (w/ sapwood) - spruce Ginger (intonated DAD) to keep her company. I'm enjoying the smaller dulcimers (they also come in handy in our smaller motorhome when we travel). It's in at my music store where I ordered it though, but I can't get in to pick it up until Wednesday. I think this is my final dulcimer. wasntme

Robin, I see that you also have a new one on order. I'd love to see pictures of the BL after you get it. 

updated by @susie: 05/02/21 05:46:13AM
Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
3 years ago
143 posts

I have:

All poplar Tennessee Music Box (with checkerboard on back) by John Knopf

All poplar Will Singleton by John Knopf

All poplar J E Thomas (painted black) by John Knopf

Black walnut/butternut top Boar by Bobby Ratliff

Various woods kit by Bobby Ratliff

All wormy poplar Betty by Dan Cox (came with wormy poplar coffin case)

All cherry custom by Johnny Pledger

All black walnut by Johnny Pledger

All hickory teardrop by Folkcraft

All sycamore 5-string by Bill Berg

Padauk/spruce/maple Strumstick by Bob McNally

I also have:  SJ100+  Jumbo guitar by Gibson,  WL-250 banjo by Gold Tone, Tackhead banjo by Eric Prust, Mountain banjo by Jon Peterson, Mountain banjo by Nate Calkins, Gourd banjo by Barry Sholder, Nickel-plated brass resophonic guitar by OMI, Copper-plated/engraved Tricone resophonic guitar by Republic, Boxcar resophonic guitar by Gretsch, Weathered steel Style-O resophonic guitar by National Resophonic, Swan concertina by McNeela, a couple of harmonicas, a kalimba, 3 Civil War era fifes, and a Civil War era tin whistle.

Whew! L think that's it!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,415 posts

@susie Do tell! nod

Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

I'm going to have a new little one in the family on Wednesday. happydance

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,720 posts

I don't think I have accumulated dulcimers.  But I leave them alone at night and they reproduce.nerd2

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Silverstrings
Silverstrings
@silverstrings
3 years ago
54 posts

I have three dulcimers. 

1) A 26” VSL McSpadden dulcimer made of redwood and black walnut with a micarta fretboard.

2) A 26” VSL McSpadden dulcimer made of black walnut with extra 1-1/2 and 8-1/2 frets. This one also has a micarta fretboard.

3) A Black Mountain Deluxe 58 dulcimer made of redwood and cherry. It has a rosewood fretboard with a 25.88” VSL.

I love and play them all frequently. Each dulcimer has a different sound.

updated by @silverstrings: 05/01/21 06:37:59PM
Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

Robin Thompson:

@ken-hulme Or we've made a newer player afraid of what they might become? ROTFL

On a serious note, coming to the mountain dulcimer has made my life better-- making music at home is such a joy! heart  

I agree with both of your points Robin.

Whether someone has 1 or 11, the instrument can add such a joy to our lives. 

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,415 posts

@ken-hulme Or we've made a newer player afraid of what they might become? ROTFL  

On a serious note, coming to the mountain dulcimer has made my life better-- making music at home is such a joy! heart  

updated by @robin-thompson: 05/01/21 07:56:13AM
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,111 posts

"Thanks to all who shared here. I thought we'd get a little more interest in the thread, but if you don't feel comfortable sharing that's fine."

I suspect some newer players, with just one or two dulcimers, might be intimidated by those of us who have "accumulated" more... 

NateBuildsToys
NateBuildsToys
@nate
3 years ago
238 posts

Depending on how taken apart or incomplete of a dulcimer i can count, I have between 3 and 10. Five of them are playable

A cardboard dulcimer
A rectangular dulcimer made from an old crate
A Baritone dulcimer
A bundt pan "resonator" dulcimer and
A dulcimer with a frying pan for a bridge

/ 2