TERI WEST
TERI WEST
@teri-west
10 years ago
25 posts

Stephanie, I would love to find a tab of Angel Gabriel!!!

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
11 years ago
143 posts

DAc tuning is my favorite tuning (so far). I'm still learning how to play the dulcimer (I play noter/drone style). Here are 3 tunes I'm working on: Which Side Are You On, Yigdal, and Van Diemen's Land.

Stephanie Stuckwisch
Stephanie Stuckwisch
@stephanie-stuckwisch
12 years ago
45 posts

My favorite tuning. In additional to the songs already mentioned - Wondrous Love (also can be played in DAg), Blackest Crow, Star in the East and Angel Gabriel.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
12 years ago
2,126 posts

Here's enough for a complete set of Aeoliantunes:

Shady Grove

Nottamun Town (Jean Ritchie)

Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair

The Foggy Dew (Irish)

Star of County Down

The Parting Glass

When Johnny Comes Marching Home -- a really eerie and mournful version

Wayfaring Stranger

Sam
Sam
@sam
12 years ago
169 posts

Hey Dennis ... I was tickled to see this thread. I love DAC and wish I knew more songs to try in that tuning.

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
john p
john p
@john-p
12 years ago
173 posts

Or even DAc, as we nit-pickers call it Grin.gif

john p

John Shaw
John Shaw
@john-shaw
12 years ago
60 posts

I totally agree with Strumelia's point about the strong resonance of the open strings in this tuning. So much more expressive and powerful than the sound of capoing on the first fret in DAd to play Aeolian tunes. A lot of the "soul" of the dulcimer resides in this tuning!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,429 posts

Cool, Dennis!

DAC can give just that right haunting sound to some tunes.

Mary Z. Cox
Mary Z. Cox
@mary-z-cox
12 years ago
62 posts
Love this tuning & keep one of my Simmerman's in dac all the time. If you find that one of your dulcimers really sounds good in this tuning-- if you just keep it in this tuning-- it just kind of sinks in and always sounds good :) mzc
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
12 years ago
2,255 posts

It's really sooo easy to switch back and forth from DAd to DAC and back, and such a nice lonesome sound! I also like the 'open string' resonant sound much better this way rather than putting a CAPO on fret 1 and playing in E minor.

Congrats on trying DAC and having fun with it, Dennis!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
folkfan
@folkfan
12 years ago
357 posts

Most of the songs I play in a minor are in the Aeolian Mode or 1-5-7 so since I'm in C mostly I use CGBflat.

I don't know many "Old Time Tunes" like Cluck Old Hen, but here's a list of the songs I do in Aeolian

Donna, Donna

The Foggy Dew

Nonesuch

The Parting Glass

The Peat Bog Soldiers

The Star of the County Down

I do several songs in Hebrew that are also in the minor such as HaTikvah, Erev Shel Shoshanim, Dodi Li, Shalom Chaverim, Yerushaliyim Shel Zahav, and Artsa Alinu. It's interesting that though many of these tunes are minor they don't evoke a sad feeling. Positively joyful for Artsa Alinu and romantic for Erev Shel Shoshanim and Dodi Li.

Enjoy your experience with Aeolian. It is a lovely mode.

Dennis Waldrop
Dennis Waldrop
@dennis-waldrop
12 years ago
16 posts

I went to a workshop on saturday where we tuned to D-A-C. We played Cluck Old Hen. Really enjoyed playing in this minor tuning. Looks Like I might try to learn more tunes in this tuning.

Dennis

updated by @dennis-waldrop: 08/01/23 11:58:35AM