Daniel Boone played a dulcimer

phil
@phil
11 years ago
129 posts

I remember watching that show as a wee little one. Not sure is I remember seeing the dulcimer. But I am sure I did I had to see and hear one some where that made me want to have one of own.

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
11 years ago
168 posts

according to youtube that episode aired sept 64 and that is the month and year it started so that might have been the 1st if youtube is right.

I'll keep checking

David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
11 years ago
60 posts

Thanks, I was really surprised when I ran across it. I wish I knew which episodes he "played" his dulcimer. I know he did in episode 1 Grin.gif Anyone have a list?

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
11 years ago
168 posts

hey David Thanks for posting the article that was neat.

David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
11 years ago
60 posts

I haven't looked real close and I'm not disagreeing with you, but could it possibly bea mismatch of the audio and video? Not saying Fess played it here but this article from Sept 1963 Fess Parker says the dulcimer was his idea and it's one he'd brought out of the Smoky Mtns ten years previously. Sowhether he played it in this scene maybe he could play but then I know lots of folk that buy mtn dulcimers and don't playFrown.gif

See

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=7jxQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=3lYDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3146%2C868815

Ken Hulme said:

Good post Dana. This topic surfaces about once a year. Watch closely and you can see that, of course, Fess really isn't playing the dulcimer, and the notes he's fretting aren't the right ones for the song.

Kathy Wilson
Kathy Wilson
@kathy-wilson
11 years ago
5 posts

Davey Crockett played aKeith Young dulcimer. ;)

http://www.donpedi.com/images/links-fine-art-of-dulcimer-davey-croc...

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
11 years ago
1,720 posts

Dana was also the one who found the episode of the Waltons in which John Boy plays the dulcimer and sings:

http://mountaindulcimer.ning.com/forum/topics/john-boy-walton-s-dulcimer-song

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
RavenMadd Garcia
RavenMadd Garcia
@ravenmadd-garcia
11 years ago
41 posts

thanx

Bill Hall
Bill Hall
@bill-hall
11 years ago
21 posts

After watching that clip I now know why I started playing dulcimer. Its a chick magnet !

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
11 years ago
168 posts

LOL Ken you done busted the bubble, I though ole Danel was a playing it. I never thought to check what he was fretting, did think about trying to play the song though. I guess its in DAA tuning?Smile.gif

Ken Hulme said:

Good post Dana. This topic surfaces about once a year. Watch closely and you can see that, of course, Fess really isn't playing the dulcimer, and the notes he's fretting aren't the right ones for the song.

Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
11 years ago
242 posts

Well, if he didn't, he should have! " Einstein played the violin, he loved to shout and sing. If that ain't genius, that ain't anything." -Henry Jankiewicz, Cranberry Lake Jug Band

Paul

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
11 years ago
2,111 posts

Ben Barr Jr
Ben Barr Jr
@benjamin-w-barr-jr
11 years ago
64 posts

For some unknown reason, I think that I had seen this episode. I remember Fess Parker sitting in a straight-back chair, his wife combing her hair and then coming out and asking him how long he would be gone. Of course, I had no idea what the dulcimer was, and other than his laying it down on the seat, I can't say that I thought much of it...actually, the siting of the dulcimer was not very long in the scene.

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
11 years ago
168 posts

Here is a link to a Daniel Boone episode where Fess Parker sings to wife Rebecca, playing a dulcimer.

updated by @dana-r-mccall: 08/02/23 09:49:25PM