What has music done for yor?

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,253 posts

Dusty Turtle:

If I am not mistaken, the original post here was written in verse.  My guess is that the formatting got lost when we moved from the old site to the new one.  It would be wonderful if Linda could edit that post so that we can see her original poetic intent more clearly.

Very true Dusty! I went in to edit @linda-jo-brockinton 's post a little so the the capitalized letters each began a new line. It seems like it was meant that way. Dusty you may be right about how the site migration might have changed it.   flower

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
6 years ago
188 posts
Peace...
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,727 posts

If I am not mistaken, the original post here was written in verse.  My guess is that the formatting got lost when we moved from the old site to the new one.  It would be wonderful if Linda could edit that post so that we can see her original poetic intent more clearly.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Frances Light Molinengo
Frances Light Molinengo
@frances-light-molinengo
11 years ago
1 posts

Linda, that makes so much sense about teaching the returned military members. I live not too far from the Walter Reed Medical facility in Bethesda, MD. I'm not as experienced on the dulcimer as some, but I have taught a couple of friends how to play. That would be such a worthwhile thing to do. I'd be interested in how he started his program, where he gets his guitars, does he rent them, give them away, loan them, etc. Think of the wonderful opportunities to serve those who have served.

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
11 years ago
197 posts

My classical music station this past week talked about a study showing that choir members had synchronized blood pressure when singing. It was comparable to the way yoga breathing could lower blood pressure. So sing with those dulcimers and your other instruments...especially the soothing songs.

Linda Jo brockinton
Linda Jo brockinton
@linda-jo-brockinton
11 years ago
22 posts
Sorry bout your mom but I know music helps. If you just look at David in the bible and the psalms. The musicians were held in very high esteem.I just saw a program where a guy is teaching guitar to our military now that have come home from war. Some had physical in jury's but the majority seemed to be suffering from PTS syndrome. All they interviewed were astounded at how much it had helped their mental outlook. It really is powerful.
Linda Jo brockinton
Linda Jo brockinton
@linda-jo-brockinton
11 years ago
22 posts
Hi Bill, that's wonderful!! I took mine one time and was helping the lady do bingo. Not much interest but on women looked either very ill or very over medicated .afterward I started to play and noticed movement. That lady was up and inching her way down the table. I just kept playing and when sh got to me she pulled the chair as close up as she could get. And she too was smiling. I asked if she liked music and she nodded. I really was surprised and very moved at the power of music.
Linda Jo brockinton
Linda Jo brockinton
@linda-jo-brockinton
11 years ago
22 posts
Thanks folkfan and Carrie!I just did a seminar with some senior med students on music and medicine. I did some extensive research again , as not to look dumb, lol) and found that in the last 10 yrs they have made huge strides with music as medicine. When they were able to see on scans for a fact how beneficial it is the drs have started to come on board. All current studies show that with music patients from infant to elderly healed faster, had less pain, had more reg heart beats and blood pressure, and left sooner. One dr said they had to face the fact that music is free, that there is no drug that will instantly lower the blood pressure and hold it like music, patients use less drugs and hospital stats are shorter all of which effects the bottom line. So nice to hear from someone who has tried it. The new studies on stroke and Parkinson's victims are amazing. Gabby Gifford chose to use all music therapy and has far surpassed what they thought possible. She recovered her speech very rapidly using singing and rhythmic patterns and regained the ability to walk much faster with music. It lightens the step like you said. I find this so fascinating and if I were younger id finish my degree and go into this field in second. But we can all help others by visiting hospitals, nursing homes and hospice. Playing fir sick or stressed friends. Even just singing with a stroke victim does wonders.Such power we all hold as musicians . We all hold a key to open someone's door.
folkfan
@folkfan
11 years ago
357 posts

Well, I won't wax philosophical here on the question of "What music has done for me?", but simply get to the practical. Music has gotten me through more medical and surgical hospital stays than I can shake a stick at. Since TV has never been something I watch with any regularity, music and books are what have gotten me through endless hours flat on my back. I never go into a hospital without my tape recorder or now iPod.

Music quite simply helps ease pain and speeds the recovery process if a patient keeps his or her feet and legs moving while bedridden. It also can add a bounce to the step as a person finally gets to walk the halls. At least, I've found it so. Grin.gif Grin.gif

Guy Babusek
Guy Babusek
@guy-babusek
11 years ago
96 posts

Carrie, you play beautifully by the way!

Guy Babusek
Guy Babusek
@guy-babusek
11 years ago
96 posts

Listening to music has become more important than ever before. I have been playing music since I was very little. I think over the years my ability to think from the point of view of a listener rather than that of a performer has developed and uplifts me much more than it did years ago. Plus, in University we were always "listening" to music. But that type of listening, although very educational, trained me to listen critically. I think that all that training has done me a lot of good, but it has taken years to be able to put my critical ears on the shelf and just "be" with a piece of music. It's a good thing!

Linda Jo brockinton
Linda Jo brockinton
@linda-jo-brockinton
11 years ago
22 posts
That is so very true. I hear from students all the time now playing at church, nursing hms, hospice for personal healing. I so appreciate tha God has allowed me to be a part of spreading music. The emails I get far out way the applause at a concert or a pat on the back. I love to teach!!
Linda Jo brockinton
Linda Jo brockinton
@linda-jo-brockinton
11 years ago
22 posts

Music

Music feeds my soul

and it truly melts my heart.

I knew music would be my life

From the very start.

I have played and taught for years,

All kinds of music in many of places