Carts for hauling your stuff around at a workshop

phil
@phil
9 years ago
129 posts

see as howI have been unable to attend any workshops this is something I have never thought about befor.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
400 posts

I can see how the plastic, foldable cube with retractable handle would work for small gatherings, performances, etc.  As you say, it will hold 2 instruments in form fit cases, plus a few more items.  What I'm looking for, however, are suggestions for something 2 or 3 times that size for hauling the large, unweildy instruments (hammered dulcimers, folk harps, steel drums, etc.) and/or multiple dulcimers.  I'm thinking here of events/workshops where you would need to transport over a long distance--and possibly in inclement weather--more instruments than what you can haul in a small crate with wheels.  Hopefully, as well, it would be something you could push though crowded hallways and wouldn't stick out too far in front of you (which can creat traffic problems).

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
William Mann
William Mann
@william-mann
9 years ago
22 posts

Second the Office Depot folding cart, though I got mine at Office Max (same company now).  A lot of plastic, so I'm concerned about the long-term durability, but it has served me well so far.  Carries two dulcimers in form-fit cases (not the big hardshells), plus my Microcube amp with its attendant cords/cables, and a ring binder.  Pull it up on stage and unload, turn it around backside to the audience, collapse the extendable handle, hang my group's custom banner from the handle, place a light plywood board (which also fits in the cart) across the top, and it's a music stand!  It has milk crate-style sides; I can even leave the amp inside and reach through to turn it on and adjust volume.

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
9 years ago
197 posts

Yes, the idea of CATS transporting dulcimers is a great laugh, but one dog can do the work of a dozen cats.  There are cloth bags that fit on either side of a dog.  Of course my dog (a husky/malamute mix) would just run away with the instruments quicker than I could shout MUSH!  Maybe somebody with a more obedient dog inclined towards being a service dog?faceplant

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

From the sounds of the number of dulcimers people own, I'm guessing too much for some, not enough for others. muscle

Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
9 years ago
77 posts

Too much?

Skip
Skip
@skip
9 years ago
359 posts

I've have one of the wonder wheels carts. I used it for several years. I just figured out how to use it as a stand up playing station with a homemade music/tablet holder and it carries a small amp also. Ya gottaa be a bit on the taller side though [I'm ~ 5'11"]. :)

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
400 posts

Thanks for the laugh!  My husband got quite a chuckle over your post, too!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
9 years ago
139 posts

Haha, Jan...my mind's eye read that title as "CATS for hauling your stuff around at Workshop"

! I thought to myself, "HOW did she train her cats to do that?!" Hahaha....I was picturing a WHOLE lotta cats wearing these little backpacks, LOL!!  (I know, I know...trust me....silly...) 

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
400 posts

Lois, thanks for your photos of these practical instrument haulers!  I love to see things being repurposed!

Thanks, also, Ken, for the photo of the Wonder Wheeler, which I also own.  People who are hauling hammer dulcimers especially like these because you can slide it in one side and then use the mesh bag for the rest of your instruments.  I like this one, too, because you can push it and because the big wheels handle curbs and steps pretty well.  If I'm not hauling my hammer dulcimer, though, I prefer to go with something smaller.  Something like a trash bin with swivel castors and storage on the outside.  With a push handle!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
9 years ago
1,084 posts

This is the one I have used at various festivals: http://hardwareonlinestore.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=77058&virtuemart_category_id=86603&gclid=CjwKEAjw2ImsBRCnjq70n_amv14SJAChXijN8a6bekBnRJfDi1v2wQsvq7_942f64SCsJaHRbJADwhoCqfbw_wcB  I can carry a couple of mountain dulcimers in it and have also carried a hammered dulcimer with it.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
9 years ago
197 posts

Hi Jan,

Held off during the transition time to our new site.  Have two carts to show and describe.  The first doesn't show instruments, but it's a walker (complete with hand brake) & uses a large gym bag.  The earlier version and slightly smaller one was a child's stroller with the seat removed, but the mesh bottom for a child's feet left in.  (The 3d instrument is a banjo in its case, so you can see this holds 3 dulcimers easily.) 

Gail Webber
Gail Webber
@gail-webber
9 years ago
70 posts

Hmmm. Wonder if I should get some type of cart to haul my dulcimers, autoharp and fiddle around at KMW? Is that easier than checking them in and out, Jan?

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
400 posts

I love this image, Dusty! And I've really always wanted a red wagon for myself, so I totally get that!

Dusty Turtle said:

And I've also used it to play for my daughter's class in school, when I cart in a whole bunch of instruments: a ukulele, a mandolin, an autoharp, a six- and twelve-string guitar, a couple of limberjacks, and, of course, a dulcimer. I have to admit I get a kick out of walking around the school with my cart of instruments like a modern troubadour.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Joseph Besse
Joseph Besse
@joseph-besse
9 years ago
51 posts

I use a box type cart with an extendable handle which I bought at Office Depot for about $15 or $20, depending if they are on sale or not. It folds up flat for storage and holds a lot of stuff. It also comes with a cover for the box, but I do not use this at all. Several people in my dulcimer group use this same type cart. We love it.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,727 posts

Jan, I can see why the upright cart might take up less floor space, but it also limits the kind of items you can carry. Smaller items in the bottom would be a hassle to grab, I would think. My cart becomes a kind of catch-all, where I can toss a bottle of water, my keys, someone's business card, a string winder, a jacket or hat or whatever. The festivals I've attended apparently don't have the same space issues yous peak of. But I tend to find a little spot to make my own where I park my cart and then take whatever instrument and other supplies I need to any given workshop. At the Berkeley Dulcimer Gathering about a week ago, we emptied out a couple of classrooms to gather the chairs and music stands for larger groups. I just put my cart in one of the empty classrooms, and that became my little spot, not only to store my stuff but to get away for a quiet moment here and there. It was right next to the room I used for the workshop I taught so it was really convenient. But you are right; if I had to take the cart with me everywhere I went, it would be a hassle.

When I played at a small arts fair with a few other folks some time ago I had to bring two dulcimers and a guitar as well as some mics and cords and other stuff. When I arrived I heard the other musicians wondering if I needed help carrying all my stuff and wondering if they should try to call me to find out where I was. They got a kick out of my cart of instruments when they saw me. And I've also used it to play for my daughter's class in school, when I cart in a whole bunch of instruments: a ukulele, a mandolin, an autoharp, a six- and twelve-string guitar, a couple of limberjacks, and, of course, a dulcimer. I have to admit I get a kick out of walking around the school with my cart of instruments like a modern troubadour.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
400 posts

I've seen a few people with these wagons and they are certainly handy and haul a lot. The issue with an event like Kentucky Music Week is that there are hundreds of people all changing classes at the same time, trying to navigate through the halls, needing a place to put instruments while they use the restroom, and needing a place to park their "haulers" while they're in class! So more and more, the bigger carts, wagons, etc. have to be stowed in the lock-up room during class and people only carry what they need for the next class or two. That's why the "footprint" becomes an important issue...which makes a tall-ish cart with a footprint that's 18" x 18" about as big as what's practical when you're in a crowded hallway changing classes. Also, you seem to have more control over what you're pushing ahead of you than what you're pulling behind you. Hammered dulcimers present a whole different set of problems with dimensions roughly 24" x 44". Thankfully, most of the HD classes are usually allon one hallway. Smile.gif

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,727 posts

I used to use what I called every boy's dream red wagon. It was a Radio Flyer all-terrain wagon, with big nobby tires, wooden panels for the sides, and so forth. But I had to take it apart to get it to fit in my car, so I had to carry tools with me wherever I went.

Then my daughter started playing in the fancy soccer leagues where teams travel to weekend tournaments, and we saw all the seasoned soccer families with these collapsible wagons. We got one. It's great. I've taken it to my last two dulcimer festivals, hauling around two dulcimer cases, a file box of tablature, a thermos, a music stand, a chair, and more. It's light, it folds up easily, holds lot of odd-sized stuff, and it helps you create that "home base" wherever you are.

669_forums.jpg?width=500

It's on sale now at Dick's Sporting Goods , but I don't get a percentage, so I don't care if you buy one there or not.Grin.gif I also just checked some of the consumer reviews. Lots of complaints about the smell. I don't remember it being that bad, but we keep ours in the garage, so it probably aired out before we ever had to use it.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Jan, Great ideas for those who get the opportunity to attend dulcimer festivals.Smile.gif

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
400 posts

I was wondering what ideas folks have come up with for hauling multiple instruments, heavy or unwieldy instruments, or instruments that might need special care.

I've heard of instrument carts made from old baby strollers and golf bag carts. Any photos? Anyone used a drywall/door mover, for instance,to move a hammered dulcimer?

One of my favorites over the years has been a Gator drum bag cart. It has a small footprint, stands upright on its own, the top unzips AND there's a zipper down the front, making it easy to load and unload, and there are pockets on the top, front, and both sides, which can hold folding stands for music andinstruments, and most of the stuff you'd carry in a daypack or purse. Interior straps hold your instruments securely. And if it's raining you can wheel it right out to your car and load it. It will carry 100 lbs, so it is very sturdy--and those nice big wheels go easily over curbs and up steps. Cons: it is heavy (steel frame), but until my shoulder problems got so bad, I could load it in the back of my van without having to take anything out--a real time-saver! Another con is that it works better being pulled than pushed. Also, it's quite expensive--around $200--the price has nearly doubled in the past 3 years. I've never seen a used one for sale.

Gator-GP-DRUMCART-Hardware-Cart-Steel-Frame-Drum-Hardware-Bag-w-Wheels

That works fine for a couple dulcimers, a ukulele, a harmonica and a penny whistle. This summer at Kentucky Music Week, however, I'll need at least 3 standard-sized dulcimers (standard, baritone, and chromatic) plus music, a sweater, etc. etc. I know I could use my big Wonder Wheelie, but I'm thinking of going with the Versa Folding Utility Cart with a contractor size trash bag fora cover in case it rains. The advantage is not just the size, but also that (once the dulcimers are put in the car) I can fold it like an umbrella stroller and put it in the car with one hand.It weighs 9 lbs. And all the dulcimers and the cart, folded, will fit in either the back seat or the cargo space of my vehicle.

3472.jpg 3472_3_.jpg This cart also has steel frame, and holds 3.72 cubic feet of stuff up to 127 lbs. The front wheels swivel and if your load is light, you could probably push it with one hand. The dimensions of the bag are: 21"H x 17"W x 18"D, so the footprint is larger than the Gator cart, but less than a Wonder Wheelie.It's not really a good design for something like a hammered dulcimer.A big plus with this is the price in the $40--$50 range.

Letus know what you're using to haul stuff around--and the pros and cons!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

updated by @jan-potts: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM