Using a non-dulcimer case for a case?

DebbieBerry
DebbieBerry
@debbieberry
5 years ago
2 posts
Working on a gig bag made from an old pair of bib overalls. Just need to figure out the padded lining. Pretty cool, huh
Msmouce
Msmouce
@msmouce
5 years ago
4 posts

Rob N Lackey:

Well, I used a burlap mail sack for a while. 

I'd be happy to use the burlap but just don't have any handy right now. You might be surprised at some of the things I've used (some not so happy though). grin

John W. McKinstry
John W. McKinstry
@john-w-mckinstry
10 years ago
50 posts

Jan Potts said:

And if you have a simple cardboard box more or less the correct size, you can buy the plastic handles or attach one of your own design.

I HAVE reshaped the foam of an hourglass dulcimer foam case to accommodate a Banjammer, but I spent hours on it and the end result wasn't great (needs several more hours of work).

I recently bought a 36"LL Bean zippered nylon snowshoe bag. It's deep enough to carry an instrument or two in soft cases or bags, folding stand, folding stool, music folders, etc. It has carry straps and weighs just ounces. Part of it is mesh, though, so it might not provide much protection from the weather. I got it mainly so I could transport a bunch of stuff in one trip, like to a jam. It would also work great just as a misc. gear bag to be carried in addition to your instrument in a more protective case. I have anLL Bean VISA card, so I bought it with some of my Bonus Coupons.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/509573?nav=bc&subrnd=0&page=... #

Bean's Snowshoe Bag

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
10 years ago
399 posts

And if you have a simple cardboard box more or less the correct size, you can buy the plastic handles or attach one of your own design.

I HAVE reshaped the foam of an hourglass dulcimer foam case to accommodate a Banjammer, but I spent hours on it and the end result wasn't great (needs several more hours of work).

I recently bought a 36"LL Bean zippered nylon snowshoe bag. It's deep enough to carry an instrument or two in soft cases or bags, folding stand, folding stool, music folders, etc. It has carry straps and weighs just ounces. Part of it is mesh, though, so it might not provide much protection from the weather. I got it mainly so I could transport a bunch of stuff in one trip, like to a jam. It would also work great just as a misc. gear bag to be carried in addition to your instrument in a more protective case. I have anLL Bean VISA card, so I bought it with some of my Bonus Coupons.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/509573?nav=bc&subrnd=0&page=... #

Bean's Snowshoe Bag

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
John W. McKinstry
John W. McKinstry
@john-w-mckinstry
10 years ago
50 posts

Thanks Ken, As they say" "Waste not, want not."Grin.gif

Kenneth W. Longfield said:

John, that's a neat case. Very handy (pardon the pun).

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
10 years ago
1,073 posts

John, that's a neat case. Very handy (pardon the pun).

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

John W. McKinstry
John W. McKinstry
@john-w-mckinstry
10 years ago
50 posts

John W. McKinstry said:

329_forums.jpg?width=721 Hi Raven, I recently received an inexpensive cardboard bodied dulcimer in a carboard case. The case had a handle on it so the shipping container could become a carryingcase. I can now lend this dulcimer to a few people and don't have to buy an expensive case for an inexpensive dulcimer.Smile.gif

John W. McKinstry
John W. McKinstry
@john-w-mckinstry
10 years ago
50 posts

Hi Raven, I recently received an inexpensive cardboard bodied dulcimer in a carboard case. The case had a handle on it so the shipping container could become a carryingcase. I can now lend this dulcimer to a few people and don't have to buy an expensive case for an inexpensive dulcimer.Smile.gif

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
12 years ago
399 posts

I have a hard case that I use with my Dulcimette when it might get banged around,like in the back of the car on a trip or something. I have no idea what it was made for, but it's well made and opens at the end (bizarre!) so I can just slide the dulcimette in its soft foam envelope/tube in and out very easily. It is 31.5 inches long.

download?id=3745489%3AUploadedFile%3A371485

I have also used a Hercules gear bag, long enough to carry a dulcimer and lots of music.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
RavenMadd Garcia
RavenMadd Garcia
@ravenmadd-garcia
12 years ago
41 posts

sweat pant legs and gun cases................lol...

folkfan
@folkfan
12 years ago
357 posts

For a double layer of protection, I used to insert one leg of the jogging pants into the other then carry the
"case" by the upper part. Never did get around to adding a draw string. heheheeee

Kevin Messenger said:

Hey everybody has an old pair of sweat pants. I use the when carring my dulcimers to differnt venues . Just sew the leg bottoms up and use the drawstring to close em up.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
12 years ago
422 posts

Lisa, I think I remember seeing the "instructions" for making those in an old, old copy of DPN. I'll have to look thru' mine to see if'n I'm right.

Sam
Sam
@sam
12 years ago
169 posts

... an' be sure to rosin th' bow .............

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
12 years ago
2,246 posts

mAYBE IF THE SWEAT PANTS ARE ROOMY ENOUGH you can stash a dulcimer in each leg while you're wearing them....just don't sit down! lol

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Kevin Messenger
Kevin Messenger
@kevin-messenger
12 years ago
86 posts

Hey everybody has an old pair of sweat pants. I use the when carring my dulcimers to differnt venues . Just sew the leg bottoms up and use the drawstring to close em up.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
12 years ago
2,246 posts

I once saw a cool cloth 'gigbag' that someone made for their dulcimer out of an old blue jeans leg. They lined it with flannel and made a drawstring top. Awesome!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Sam
Sam
@sam
12 years ago
169 posts

Depends on how much protection you need. I'm using the rip stop bag from a folding lawn chair at work to hang one in my locker. Fits just right and there is a draw string closure. Shoulder strap on the bag is heavy enough to carry the dulcimer on my shoulder if I needed to.

--
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
12 years ago
422 posts

Well, I used a burlap mail sack for a while. I checked the gun cases at Dick's Sporting Goods and couldn't find one that would fit like I wanted it to. Thought I could find a gun case that would hold 2 nicely, but couldn't

RavenMadd Garcia
RavenMadd Garcia
@ravenmadd-garcia
12 years ago
41 posts

I meant anything you used in your dulcimer playing time....thanks Sam ...that looks better than my buddy's gun case ...but man ...the cops in jersey and nyc are gonna stop me on every corner especially if there a political rally going on109.gif

Sam
Sam
@sam
12 years ago
169 posts

... or this ..........
http://www.ebay.com/itm/case-gun-hard-/150884260492?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2321671a8c#ht_500wt_949

--
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
12 years ago
422 posts

Raven,

I've been thinking this might work, with proper padding added, of course

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300604887882?var=600023415174&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3427wt_1139

RavenMadd Garcia
RavenMadd Garcia
@ravenmadd-garcia
12 years ago
41 posts

have you used anything other than a normal dulce case?.....I have my hondo teardrop inside of a old bass case.......my friend has a couple of empty old rifle cases.... I was thinking of shaping foam in one

so what have you used ?.....I remember some guy in greenwich village ,nyc that would walk around with his hour glass in his laundry bag...yuckTongue.gif Tongue.gif

updated by @ravenmadd-garcia: 03/17/21 11:59:48AM