Favorite chair/seat for playing?

Susie
Susie
@susie
6 years ago
500 posts

Jan Potts:

Susie, your gliders look very comfortable!

Thank you Jan, they are very comfy!

They fit me perfectly, but I am tall (5'9").

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
6 years ago
399 posts

Susie, your gliders look very comfortable!

For me, seat height is key.  I'm fairly tall, but have disproportionately short shin bones.  A child's chair works pretty well for me--17 inches, tops.  Office chairs which can be lowered often work well and they often have arms, which I need for support. My right arm, after complex shoulder surgery, can't just hang free; it has to be supported or it feels like gravity is pulling it out of the socket--very painful).

I have several 3 legged folding stools and an assortment of folding chairs, but my favorite remains my recliner!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
6 years ago
140 posts

Here’s my favorite spot.  I’m pretty jittery so the glider is perfect for me.  The hardest part is trying to be still if I’m making a video, LOL.  

image.jpg
image.jpg  •  206KB

Elvensong
Elvensong
@elvensong
6 years ago
9 posts

I keep a drummer's stool in the back of the van in case the venue had no chairs (outside in the park, camping, etc.) 

I have not made the transition to standing and playing as I've been playing for nearly 40 years and just can't find a position where I can still do the technical work.

In my studio I use an office chair that I fitted with "rollerblade" type wheels and removed the arms. Super comfy. I also use a keyboard stand fitted with padding for standing and playing flat.

updated by @elvensong: 06/08/18 11:26:15AM
Susie
Susie
@susie
6 years ago
500 posts
My two Pickin' Gliders in my music room. Dulcimer playin', bluegrass guitar jammin', and Native American flutin'. Comfy and with the gliding, I can move to the music. My music buddies love them too.
Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
6 years ago
297 posts
I use a padded piano bench for playing at home, 20" high.

Playing out, I load up my 30" padded, with back, swiveling, bar stool. It's metal, cumbersome and heavy, but I love it. I like sitting higher than they are sitting. Bought it for $2.00 at a yard sale.

After reading Ken's post, I'm thinking that might work for me, or at least for a change of pace. Standing, one can play and shake their bootie.
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,123 posts

These days my 'performance' playing is standing up with my dulcimer on a waiter's folding table 30" high.  If I have to sit and play I look for a standard metal folding chair.

hugssandi
@hugssandi
6 years ago
244 posts

<<<<<  The floor, as pictured....  Laugh

MollieNeuman
MollieNeuman
@mollieneuman
6 years ago
0 posts

My favorite chair is 'Zetti Mid Back Executive Leather Chair'! I believe that one must always choose the chair in which he/she find themselves comfortable. This is the chair which I have ordered from office furniture Miami , as suggested by my friend. It gives me the required comfort and flexibility avoiding my back pain while playing the online game. Happy with the quality of service.

DulcimerJones
DulcimerJones
@dulcimerjones
7 years ago
21 posts

Marg, What a lovely setting for playing!  I'm looking for similar chairs, but it's hard to find just the right height, cushiness, depth, etc.  The hunt is ON!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
2,252 posts

For home playing, Brian and I bought these chairs several years ago, and we find them incredibly comfortable for playing music.  They are also great for throwing in the car for playing music elsewhere:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Black-Folding-Chair-2FF0010P/204269967

We have four of them, and keep them folded up hidden behind an open door when not in use.  (our house is older so it has doors for every doorway, which is how people regulated/saved the winter heat in the old days... our modest sized living room alone has three doors! lol)

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
marg
@marg
7 years ago
616 posts

I have little grandchildren;  so when I was looking for a chair for playing the dulcimer, I also was thinking of extra space for extra little angles. It is low & no arms, just a bit too deep but I place a pillow & all is good.

updated by @marg: 08/15/17 02:04:33AM
IRENE
IRENE
@irene
7 years ago
167 posts

oh I ment to add....I made the folding legs of the now wooden dulcimer table to a very low position that it's at "lap height" for me.  I know I SHOULD play the dulcimer on my lap and knees, but I love the sound of it on a table.  I have some little "stick on" little feet and the whole dulcimer vibrates nicely.  I think she's happiest on the table.  That table is 23 & 1/2 inches tall. aloha, irene

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
7 years ago
167 posts

I use an 18 inch tall stool I made a long time ago, but I put my dulcimer on a table that I got from Walmart, took off the plastic top and put on a nice wood top.  I have it so it folds up.  I'm looking for a chair that folds up too, but would like a comfortable wide one.  I've repaired and made some very cute cushions for those piano stools.  Sold one for $175.00.  

Mary MacGowan
Mary MacGowan
@mary-macgowan
7 years ago
2 posts

Ken Hulme:

I use a triangular folding camp stool with a back when playing sitting.  

Hey Ken, I've been hearing a lot about those. I don't think they're quite my thing, but this is an interesting discussion here on fotmd. thanks.

Mary MacGowan
Mary MacGowan
@mary-macgowan
7 years ago
2 posts

Jan Potts:

I think I play best in my recliner with the dulcimer across the arms....happys

Hi Jan! Nice to chat with you. I know somebody else who plays with the dulcimer on the arms of a chair. Helps the sound ring out too! 

Mary MacGowan
Mary MacGowan
@mary-macgowan
7 years ago
2 posts

dulcinina:

Hi Mary, I use a couple different seats.  One is an old round wooden piano stool where the seat spins up and down. But it's lowest position is about 18" and has no back. My other chair is what I call a "steno" office chair.  It's has a padded seat and back and it adjusts to various heights by a lever. It has no arms and the lowest position is 16". I got it at an office supply store on a close -out for $25.  It's on wheels, doesn't take up much room and is very comfortable. It also doubles as my sewing chair at the sewing machine. This chair is also easy on the fanny whereas the stool is not.  Dulcinina

Hi Dulcinina, thanks for commenting! I think I'll ultimately go for one of those office chairs. Funny coincidence, but I also have an old piano stool that spins! It was my grandma's, so it is old. I don't ever really use it for anything... and I think I'd need more cushioning for my rear end anyway giggle2

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
7 years ago
399 posts

I think I play best in my recliner with the dulcimer across the arms....happys

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,123 posts

I use a triangular folding camp stool with a back when playing sitting.  

dulcinina
@dulcinina
7 years ago
87 posts

Hi Mary, I use a couple different seats.  One is an old round wooden piano stool where the seat spins up and down. But it's lowest position is about 18" and has no back. My other chair is what I call a "steno" office chair.  It's has a padded seat and back and it adjusts to various heights by a lever. It has no arms and the lowest position is 16". I got it at an office supply store on a close -out for $25.  It's on wheels, doesn't take up much room and is very comfortable. It also doubles as my sewing chair at the sewing machine. This chair is also easy on the fanny whereas the stool is not.  Dulcinina

Mary MacGowan
Mary MacGowan
@mary-macgowan
7 years ago
2 posts

Hi all!

I'm looking for a chair for playing at home. I seem to need something no more than 16 inches high, no arms (of course) and a back for relaxing. Do you have any favorite seats? Maybe I'll like what you like!

Sorry I've been away from fotmd for so long... My daughter had twins a year ago and life has been BUSY!babycrawl babycrawl  (and when she had the twins, her other two were 1 and 3 yrs old! Not complaining though. It's been a good time for this grandma! inlove   I might start actually playing and singing again soon now that we all survived that first year!!! I've missed you folks!

updated by @mary-macgowan: 08/13/17 01:27:02PM