Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,255 posts

Though I have my own personal feelings on situations like this, I can certainly empathize with both views.

I think this discussion has thoroughly represented both sides of the issue at this point. So before it gets into further back and forth, I'm going to close it to new responses and leave it at that. Others can read it and hopefully make their own informed decisions. Thanks everyone.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Kristi Keller
Kristi Keller
@kristi-keller
10 years ago
84 posts

I would send this information to Manitou Springs Chamber of Commerce as well as Better Business Bureau and local newspaper, TV station and whatever. Since I've never been to that town I don't know size etc but expect the powers that be do not want bad publicity.

Just checked about the town which has around 5,000 residents. Tourism is big business there so you can find pressure points in your dealings with dulcimer maker. Good luck.

marg
@marg
10 years ago
616 posts

Just reading this post & did seeCripple Creek was able to reach theirgoal on the fundraiser to save their machinery and continue to get some Dulcimers out - pay the IRS off!!!! Than much clean up - images of the flood looked really bad.

Does anyone know what is the latest, do they still have a store or are they just on line now?

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
10 years ago
252 posts
The cost of doing business for small companies has skyrocketed in the last 10 years. Old time mom&pop shops are falling away faster than ever as children refuse to take over the business, I see this happening all around me. Dulcimers are a low to no profit venture even in the best of times. I would expect to see less and less quality in commercially made dulcimers in the future as the old folks pass on... Bob
Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
10 years ago
231 posts

I feel sorry for anyone who is having difficulties. I'm sure it is not their intention to put out a bad product. All I'm saying is that anyone who builds and sells dulcimers should be willing to back up the quality of their work. I would never buy a dulcimer from someone who has no refund policy. I looked up the web site you posted and it appears they are very near the goal of the money needed. I have friends who have owed money to the IRS and the IRS is more than willing to work out payment plans. They want the money because they don't want to be in the business of selling assets.

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
10 years ago
231 posts

Elise, I know emotions can run high but Siggie wasn't the only one who had problems. Here is a link to someone else who had a problem, http://mountaindulcimer.ning.com/group/beginnerplayers/forum/topics... .

I understand from other FOTMD members that Cripple Creek were great dulcimers. I also have a friend who built one from a kit. Having said that I personally have a problem with any builder who doesn't stand by their product. I purchased my dulcimer from a builder who would refund my money if I wasn't happy with the dulcimer. I understand Siggie did get his money back less a restocking fee but he shouldn't have had to go through a lot of trouble for that. Any builder who thinks their product is good should back that up with a return and refund.

I would be upset if I purchased a dulcimer that had flaws and the builder was unwilling to fix it or refund my money even if I bought the dulcimer from McSpadden or Folkcraft. While I understand some performance dulcimers can get quite pricey, $450.00 is a lot of money to spend on an instrument that has flaws.

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
11 years ago
231 posts

Siggie, I'm glad you got most of your money back. I too have a cardboard dulcimer from Backyard Music that I assembled myself. I really enjoy it. I do want to post a video of me playing it. It does have nice volume which I didn't expect from a cardboard dulcimer.

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
11 years ago
231 posts

Siggie, Did you get a refund?

folkfan
@folkfan
11 years ago
357 posts

Strange about what's happened with Cripple Creek Dulcimers, but they do have Cripple Creek Guitars

http://www.cripplecreekguitars.com/

at the same store.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
11 years ago
1,729 posts

It was a little of both, Peter. I remembered a discussion about Cripple Creek dulcimers but couldn't remember if it was here or at ED or whether it got resolved or not. I did a search to find the conversation. It is interesting that they offered a refund two years ago but not more recently.

Peter Tommerup said:

Dusty,

GOOD WORK! Grin.gif Did you remember this earlier discussion or find it by searching for similar laments and complaints about Cripple Creek instruments?

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Peter Tommerup
Peter Tommerup
@peter-tommerup
11 years ago
5 posts

Dusty,

GOOD WORK! Grin.gif Did you remember this earlier discussion or find it by searching for similar laments and complaints about Cripple Creek instruments?

Dusty Turtle said:

As Yogi Berra (whose book is entitled I Didn't Really Say All Those Things That I Said ) did or didn't say, "it's dj vu all over again."

Check out this discussion from two years ago .

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
11 years ago
1,729 posts

As Yogi Berra (whose book is entitled I Didn't Really Say All Those Things That I Said ) did or didn't say, "it's dj vu all over again."

Check out this discussion from two years ago .

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Peter Tommerup
Peter Tommerup
@peter-tommerup
11 years ago
5 posts

I've seen and tried both the first small Cripple Creek dulcimer that Siggie received sight unseen by mail, as well as the one she came home with after going back to the store and settling for the least bad of another 10 or 12 that she was shown.

The first one was TRULY THE MOST UNPLAYABLE DULCIMER I have ever seen in 39 years of playing and 36 years of teaching. I have never even seen a 1st time amateur built dulcimer so poorly designed or executed. It was atrocious and simply not a playable instrument. Compared to it, the Apple Creek dulcimers I've seen look extremely well designed and playable.Frown.gif

BTW, I don't believe the bridge and nut were accidentally swapped; I recall checking that out for Siggie and seeing that they were of different widths and placed into slots cut into the fret board, so one could not accidentally swap the one for the other.

The second short Cripple Creek that Siggie has now--the least bad of another dozen problematic instruments--again looks like it was designed by a first time wood worker. It seems to have a solid maple fret bar (not hollowed out), and still is problematic in terms of playing and tuning. One of its better qualities is that it's quiet enough that its poor design and execution aren't quite as apparent as they would be if it was louder.

The most amazing thing is that Cripple Creek seems completely oblivious to the exceedingly poor quality instruments that they seem to be pouring out at this point in time. Based on what I've seen, they make some shoddy and cheap Pakistani instruments look well made in comparison. Actually, calling them instruments is a misnomer since it implies that they can be played. The two I've seen are really just very expensive wall hangers!

Good advice at this point in time is to steer clear of Cripple Creek dulcimers--unless you're up for an exercise in being ripped off and frustrated.

All the best,

Peter

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
11 years ago
231 posts

If the dulcimers were good in the past but not now, it makes me wonder if they are contracting someone else to assemble or manufacture them. It's definitely a concern and I'm surprised they don't stand behind their product and offer a refund.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
11 years ago
1,729 posts

Sad story. There are many reasons why an instrument might not be exactly what we want, but it sounds like this one has many serious structural problems.

I would contact them again and insist on a refund. If all the instruments they offered you have structural problems, then exchange should not be the onlyan option. They need to know how unhappy you are and how vociferously you are voicing your concerns to the dulcimer community.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Kevin Messenger
Kevin Messenger
@kevin-messenger
11 years ago
86 posts

Siggie, Sounds like someone may have reversed the nut and bridge. I wonder when it was strung up if they put the nut where the bridge was supposed to be and vise versa. You might want to loosen the strings and if the nut and bridge are the same width , reverse them and retune . See if that changes things. Just a thought, I had someone bring me one that was done that way, it was an easy fix.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
11 years ago
2,255 posts

That's a real bummer. Way too much money for a problematic poorly built dulcimer, and no returns... I feel for you.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Tom McDonald
Tom McDonald
@tom-mcdonald
11 years ago
26 posts

You should consider posting this over at Everything Dulcimer, too. You could also comment on the store's Facebook page, although it is mostly inactive, and maybe review on Yelp or Angie's List. Publicity might cause them to make it right, or at least keep somebody else from getting ripped off this way.

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
11 years ago
85 posts

I got my Cripple Creek dulcimer kit 6 yrs. ago this coming December. It plays like a dream. Like your older one mine has Cripple Creek Dulcimers burned into the side of the fret board and my named burned into the other side. They even exchanged the fret board that had a flaw in it. I called and they exchanged it. Sight unseen. They didn't want the old one back. I haven't been in the area since, but I am sorry of the way things have turned out for you. I guess time changes everything. For better or worse. Like Ken, they were great people to deal with.

--
Site Moderator
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
11 years ago
2,126 posts

My goodness, no! Bud & Donna, and Bud junior and his Lady have always been very easy to work with and have built really good instruments. Was the instrument you bought a "true" Cripple Creek or a Cripple Creek kit that someone slapped together?