What are you reading right now?

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
5 years ago
167 posts

MIKE & ME by Rosalys Peel.  What a WONDERFUL BOOK to read when a loved one is on the edge or within the realms of Dementia or Alzheimer's.  My husband is on that edge and caring for him at home is my chapter at this time in my life.  I find that playing music together and Scrabble together is most beneficial to him and I'll keep that up for the rest of his life.  Over 10% of our population has this disease....how to deal with it with love to them is healing to them and to the caregiver.  I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK. I just finished that book 2 days ago.  Now for a fun one called HILO HATTIE, A Legend in Our Time by Milly Singletary.  When I went to Hawaii in 1963 I saw her perform at the Kodak Show and this book tells her early story and it all brings a smile on my face.   aloha, irene

Sam
Sam
@sam
5 years ago
169 posts

Original poems and short stories by my writing group.

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
hugssandi
@hugssandi
5 years ago
244 posts

Trevor Noah's _Born a Crime_.  Sometimes it's hard, and sometimes it makes me laugh out loud while waiting in a medical office....

hugssandi
@hugssandi
7 years ago
244 posts

I love the classics, userno4!  ~that's all great stuff~

UserNo4
UserNo4
@userno4
7 years ago
30 posts

My 9-year-old daughter and I are listening to an audio version of "Anne of Avonlea" when I drive her home from school. We've already been through "Anne of Green Gables," and before that, "A Wrinkle in Time" and "A Swiftly Tilting Planet." I just finished listening to "The Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe," which I read decades ago in college. I'm not sure if I should go onto the next in the series or start up "Pride and Prejudice," which my daughter is almost finished reading through. In the fall, I listed to the space trilogy of C.S. Lewis as well as "The Great Divorce" and "The Abolition of Man." 

I do READ, and read nonfiction, but that's a start.

updated by @userno4: 04/09/17 10:21:52PM
Kevin Keating
Kevin Keating
@kevin-keating
7 years ago
13 posts
I tend to read and re-read books I like. ACD's Sherlock Holmes stories are always a "go to" for me, along with other classics like Poe and Lovecraft and Dickens's shorter stories.
Currently though I'm reading (for maybe the 4th time) Ecotopia by Ernest Callenbach.
hugssandi
@hugssandi
7 years ago
244 posts

D. Chitwood:

My sister told me about a book called Dispatches From Pluto, by Richard Grant. The story of a Brit and a New Yorker who buy a Mississippi plantation and encounter southern culture for the first time. She said it was laugh out loud one of the best books she has read in ages.

HA!  This sounds great!  

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
7 years ago
139 posts

My sister told me about a book called Dispatches From Pluto, by Richard Grant. The story of a Brit and a New Yorker who buy a Mississippi plantation and encounter southern culture for the first time. She said it was laugh out loud one of the best books she has read in ages.

James Phillips
James Phillips
@james-phillips
7 years ago
87 posts

I am going to be re-reading Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie.  I saw the movie for the first time in a while a couple weeks ago and decided I would re-read the book.

hugssandi
@hugssandi
7 years ago
244 posts

Subversive Jesus by Craig Greenfield, and A Creative Minority:  Influencing Culture Through Redemptive Participation by Jon Tyson.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
7 years ago
399 posts

I'm reading Ordinary Grace, by William Kent Krueger.  Pretty good so far.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
folkfan
@folkfan
7 years ago
357 posts

I'm reading some things on family genealogy, Henry the Fifth by Shakespeare, and a series of books about a fat vampire.   Great for a laugh.  And generally anything that doesn't move and has words printed on it.  If I don't have a book in one hand, my Nook is in the other. 

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
7 years ago
385 posts

Foxfire 11.  Finally assembled the whole set a couple years ago.

Of course we all know what's in Foxfire 3.... and Foxfire 12.  Don't we???

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
7 years ago
1,073 posts

Dear Bob and Sue by Matt and Karen Smith. They visit all 58 national parks and write about it.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

hugssandi
@hugssandi
7 years ago
244 posts

_Rich Dad, Poor Dad_ by Robert Kiyosaki, and I have this weird tug-of-war between the good advice and then ethics as I read; _If God is Good:  Faith in the Midst of Suffering and Evil_ by Randy Alcorn.

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
7 years ago
167 posts

PILGRIM A biography of William Brewster.  I found out lately that he's my 12th great grandfather that was the leader on the MAYFLOWER.  I find this very interesting.  I have other books too that I have stacked up and read snippets but this one....way cool. aloha, irene

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,111 posts

The Mediterranean Diabetes Cookbook by Amy Riolo, published by the American Diabetes Assoc that Lady Sally picked up at a recent diabetes conference she attended as part of her PharmD Continuing Ed.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
7 years ago
1,073 posts

Currently reading Ghost Ship by Clive Cussler and Graham Brown. I finished both the Jefferson book and the latest issue of Fretboard Journal.

Ken

updated by @ken-longfield: 03/14/17 04:35:50PM
Colleen Hailey
Colleen Hailey
@colleen-hailey
7 years ago
67 posts

Currently reading Testosterone Rex, a popular science book written with a sense of humor. Also, just started Faithful Place by Tana French.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
7 years ago
1,073 posts

I'm still reading Thomas Jefferson The Art of Power. I just received the latest issue of The Fretboard Journal, so I'm reading that as well.

Ken

hugssandi
@hugssandi
7 years ago
244 posts

Younger Next Year truly has changed my life, so now I've moved onto Thinner This Year.  I'm also reading 'Tis a Gift to be Simple and am enjoying it, though I wish more were written on the subject by people living in poverty.  There's a whole idea to this concerning judgment and acceptance I don't know how to explain...  Lastly, I'm reading the third of a multicultural fantasy series (The Dragon Songs Saga) by my acupuncturist, Dances of Deception.  I've never liked fantasy, but I have trouble putting these down once I've started!

hugssandi
@hugssandi
7 years ago
244 posts

Jan Potts:

hugssandi, do you realize that every minute you spend reading Younger Next Year, you're getting older?  Ironic.

LOL, Jan!  ~and it is taking me a while, too~

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
7 years ago
399 posts

hugssandi, do you realize that every minute you spend reading Younger Next Year, you're getting older?  Ironic.

I'm reading The Birds of Opulence, by Crystal Wilkinson, for book group next week.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
hugssandi
@hugssandi
7 years ago
244 posts

I am still reading _Younger Next Year_ and loving it!  Also trying to finish _The Four Agreements_, which I started first....

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
2,248 posts

I'm reading a knitting pattern for knitting a pink hat.  Haven't picked up my needles in about 10 years(!) and I got inspired.  I'm really enjoying taking it up again for a few minutes of relaxation here and there.  Love the act of carefully making something with my hands again.  I'm finding it's like riding a bike- I need to review the instructions for certain things, but it's coming back to me very quickly.  
I'm realizing they now have a million online youtube videos for knitters.   The internet didn't even exist when i first learned to knit almost 30 yrs ago.  (!)  Yay!   oma

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
David Pedersen
David Pedersen
@david-pedersen
7 years ago
32 posts

"Exploring Genesis" by John Phillips.  Wonderful insight into Genesis.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
7 years ago
1,073 posts

I'm now reading Thomas Jefferson The Art of Power by John Meacham. Also reading the latest issue of Martin - The Journal of Acoustic Guitars.

Ken

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,111 posts

Colleen Hailey:

Bill Bryson should be considered a national treasure.

Here and elsewhere!!!

Colleen Hailey
Colleen Hailey
@colleen-hailey
7 years ago
67 posts

Bill Bryson should be considered a national treasure.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,111 posts

We loved "Little Dribbling", especially since my Lady Sally is Brit, and we love the small out-of-the-way places there.  You should see the trip we're planning for September into the Borders of Scotland where her clan and mine hung out 'back in the day'.  We've read all of Bryson's other books as well, and vistited many of those places.

Colleen Hailey
Colleen Hailey
@colleen-hailey
7 years ago
67 posts

Not a huge Elvis fan but am in the middle of reading Last Train to Memphis: the Rise of Elvis Presley. I plan to read the far more depressing sequel, Careless Love: the Unmaking of Elvis Presley next.

Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
7 years ago
56 posts

I'm reading 'Depression Fallout'  and 'Bloody Mary' - about Henry VIII's eldest daughter.

Sam
Sam
@sam
7 years ago
169 posts

Seed catalogs !!!

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
7 years ago
399 posts

Irene, I'm glad you're introducing more people to SACRED HARP.  I enjoy singing and playing these songs, although it's a bit more challenging than some people think!  I liken it to learning the Cyrillic alphabet so you can sing in Russian and when you've got that down well, then you (finally) get to sing the English "poetry" with the tune (and the poetry is often on a different page from the music notation, making all this even harder).

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
7 years ago
1,073 posts

Yes, Dusty, that's the article. There are a number of other interesting articles in the book including one on Barbara Allen, folk music in schools in an highly industrialized society, and professionalism and amateurism in the study of folk music to name a few. The book (ex-library) cost me 99 cents, but with shipping and tax I wound up paying 5 dollars.

Ken

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
7 years ago
167 posts

SACRED HARP and other books related to this kind of music as I'll be presenting how to read shape notes and then have as many that will sit in a square and sing this great music of Early America that came to us via English, Scot, Irish, German.  I love this music.  Many of our Appalachian tunes we play on the dulcimer come from this age.  and when I'm done with that next week, gonna look into some of your books that you're reading. aloha, irene

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
7 years ago
1,720 posts

Ken, is the attached article by Charles Seeger the one you refer to?  Either way, I think a lot of people will find it interesting.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
7 years ago
1,073 posts

I just started Silent Prey by John Sandford. It is one of his Lucas Davenport novels. I just finished James Patterson's Cross the Line which was a Christmas present from my son and daughter-in-law. Yesterday I received Studies in Musicology 1935 -1975 which is compilation of articles written by Charles Seeger. I ordered it mostly for the article on the Appalachian dulcimer, but several of the other articles look interesting. I probably won't read the entire book.

Ken

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,111 posts

A trio of books by Kate Thompson, known as the New Policeman trilogy, about the happenings of a small Irish village and their interactions with the "Faeries" on the other side of The Veil.  Lots of fun and fabulous fiddle tune music at the end of each chapter.

Anxiously awaiting the Anne Grimes book.

updated by @ken-hulme: 01/26/17 07:09:00PM
hugssandi
@hugssandi
7 years ago
244 posts

I have been reading _Younger Next Year_, and it is changing my life!!!  ~and trickling down to my husband~

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

Just because it's a favorite topic for me, I always wanna know!

Right now I have a huge stack of books going but am also embarking on reading about poverty.  I am reading Irresistible Revolution and adding Toxic Charity, Poor Economics, and A Tree Grows in Brookland.

Already going = The Association of Small Bombs, The Pearl That Lost It's Shell, Big Magic, and Romans....

updated by @hugssandi: 07/31/23 11:43:16PM