worldwide Play Music on the Porch Day

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 months ago
1,083 posts

Thanks, Robin, but I can't take credit for the video. Dave Holeton, a member here, edited the video and posted it to YouTube for us. Dave is our "official" leader for the Tuesday night Zoom group over at TTAD. We use the free Zoom time (40 minutes) and play 5 songs we agree to play for that week. Dave or whomever the leader is plays unmuted while the rest play along muted. In a sense we are playing a duet with the leader. Our Zoom meets begin at 8:30 p.m. Eastern time. The link is posted on Tuesdays at TTAD. Just click on it and wait to be let in to the meeting. It is fun and everyone is welcome.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 months ago
1,425 posts

@ken-longfield How neat you put together a video with you and your Zoom friends for PMOTPD-- it's wonderful! 

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 months ago
1,083 posts

I, along with several of my Tuesday evening Zoom colleagues, made a video for PMOTPD. Here is the link:

Ken

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 months ago
1,425 posts

Though we didn't get to record outdoors, we did make a little recording for worldwide Play Music On The Porch Day

https://soundcloud.com/robin-thompson-5/down-the-hill-and-back-for-worldwide-pmotpd?si=e47a6cd55e0c48a493915d5561db6b13&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

updated by @robin-thompson: 08/26/23 08:02:35PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 months ago
1,727 posts

Good idea, @robin-thompson! happys

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 months ago
1,425 posts

@dusty I saw where Ken Bloom's sister's ukulele group already made their video and will post it on PMOTPD.  So, that's an option.  Mark & I may make our recording ahead of time due to family health woes and post it on PMOTPD to mark the day.  

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 months ago
1,727 posts

Unfortunately, I'll be traveling on Play Music on the Porch Day this year, so I'll have to just be a spectator and hope lots of dulcimer players post beautiful music for me to enjoy.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 months ago
1,425 posts

Always the last Saturday in August, friends.  dulcimer

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
2,123 posts

@ocean-daughter  --  Bamburgh and Lindisfaran are fabulous.  Visited there the last time we went over.  My Scottish clan has links to that area when it was 'debatable land' between between Alba and Ængland about the time of The Conquest.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,425 posts

One week from today, friends.  :)  

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,425 posts

Two weeks from today, friends.  :)

ocean-daughter
@ocean-daughter
2 years ago
45 posts

I just realized we'll be visiting our daughter and her family in Colorado Springs that day...they do have a nice porch, so I'll make sure to go out there!  I might also try to record something in advance, to post on that day. 

ocean-daughter
@ocean-daughter
2 years ago
45 posts

@ken-hulme On Orkney!?!  That sounds amazing! 

I've always kind of wanted to go to Anglesey and Holy Island... maybe someday. 

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,425 posts

@ken-hulme You can always sing or play spoons if no luthier is to be found.  

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
2,123 posts

I'll be playing on Orkney, provided I can find a luthier I know who lives there.  Gonna be hard to fit even my travel dulcimer into my luggage for a 4 week trip to the UK...

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,425 posts

Mark & I have been practicing our tune for PMOTPD.  Hope y'all are planning to participate! dulcimer

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,425 posts

Folks, I hope y'all have the last Saturday in August marked on your calendars for the annual worldwide celebration Play Music On The Porch Day!  Here at our house, we are practicing the one we think we'll play for PMOTPDay. music

ocean-daughter
@ocean-daughter
3 years ago
45 posts

I played on the balcony for awhile Saturday morning.  Realized that was roomier than the front stoop!  I played "Wondrous Love," "Nottamun Town," and "Cluck Old Hen," tuned in DAG Dorian. 

I posted a video to Instagram, but they cropped it to a square and you can't see the dulcimer!  (I didn't know till friends commented.)  Ah well!  I may not wait a year to do another one. 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,727 posts

It's so nice to see and hear about folks playing music outdoors.  Thanks for sharing, everyone!

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,425 posts

I am glad you were able to be outdoors with your guitar and your McSpadden, Lisa!  Hope you get lots of chances to play outdoors during your "bonus vacation"!  

updated by @robin-thompson: 08/29/21 07:32:41PM
LisavB
LisavB
@lisavb
3 years ago
58 posts

I was fortunate here (a Seattle suburb) to have Goldilocks weather yesterday afternoon (not too hot, not too cool, not too breezy, not too still, not too humid--just lovely).  And no smoke at this time. Took out my acoustic guitar and my McSpadden and had a great time.  Played all sorts of things on both.  Then just improvised on the dulcimer for a bit while the grill heated up for dinner.  Didn't think to try to photograph or film myself.  Oh well!

So nice to see all the posts of people making beauty and joy!!!  What a great tradition...

I begin a month of "bonus vacation" on Friday of this week--a perk we get at my legal aid organization for every 10 years of service.  I'm past 11 years, just getting around to taking the time off.  One of the things I plan to do is get in whatever porch playing I can as long as the weather holds.  Something extra special about playing outside!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,083 posts

Irene, you can see a video of me and five others playing in David Bennett's post below. The dulcimers I play in both posts are ones that I made.

Ken

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,425 posts

Friends, it has been so good to see the videos and accounts of PMOTPD-- thank you for sharing them!  

Here is the little movie Mark & I made yesterday:

https://youtu.be/0eo9wVbrWr8 

David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
3 years ago
60 posts

Here's a video Dave Holeton put together and posted of six of us from the TTAD Zoom group playing "Red River Valley" for Play Music On The Porch Day

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
3 years ago
167 posts

Carla, that is just wonderful and fun and darling little doggie and background.  I hope you play more on the porch with this fun guy more often then once a year.   oh happy day.   aloha, irene

Carla Maxwell
Carla Maxwell
@carla-maxwell
3 years ago
13 posts

Here's my little video from Play Music on the Porch Day down under.

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
3 years ago
252 posts

First I'm thankful to have a porch to pick on, although it needs a coat of paint. The day was cool and cloudy with a nice breeze.

Lately I've been playing my Galix dulcimer that I neglected for a couple of years. If you never played a Galix, you don't know what your missing.

I played the quintessential Galax tune Fly Around My Pretty Miss. Tater patch, Groundhog, and a favorite of mine although a bit unconventional for Galax style St Anne's reel.

I was hoping it would rain so I could play a little longer but it didn't so I had to get back to work picking sweetcorn instead of my dulcimer. I hope everyone had a nice day. If not we'll then play your dulcimer and things will get better...Robert

updated by @robert-schuler: 08/29/21 12:17:20AM
IRENE
IRENE
@irene
3 years ago
167 posts

Dusty, I'm sorry for that terrible fire in California.   here in Nauvoo, Illinois, I live on the Mississippi, we hardly see the sun go down in pure bright color, but it gets caught up in the smoke all the way here.   boooooooo.  And Ken, I was looking for your video....but cute photo anyway and I like the deepness of that dulcimer.   I got out on my porch this evening and had a granddaughter take a video of me on a dulcimer I made.......... on my phone.   Still I don't know how to load it on this site.   I'll go to FAQ and see if I can figure it out.   aloha, irene

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,727 posts

I shared music with others in my monthly dulcimer club on zoom today (mostly English country dances), but nothing outdoors.  The smoke from the wildfires up the Sierras has blown down into the valley and the air quality is unhealthy.  No outdoor music today or outdoor anything for me.  I put on an N95 respirator mask just to turn on the sprinklers.

I hope others have been able to share music with their communities.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,083 posts

I was busy in the morning and didn't have time to play. It started raining just as I was getting ready to go out on the porch so I stayed inside and watched the Little League World Series. After the games, we had a short respite from the rain, so I went back outside and played a couple of tunes. My wife took this photo of me. I played Lincoln and Liberty, Fishin' Hole, Old Joe Clark, Cripple Creek and, Liza Jane. I use one of my dulcimers I hadn't played on in quite some time. I has a double melody string which I am no longer comfortable playing. It was tuned to DAdd which I have not play in quite some time as I've been concentrating on 1 - 5 - 5 tunings to play noter/drone. I did have a good time playing though.

Ken 

IMG_0337.jpg
IMG_0337.jpg  •  100KB

Belinda Link
Belinda Link
@belinda
3 years ago
7 posts

We'll be playing on our fave porch!original

updated by @belinda: 08/27/21 01:54:34PM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,083 posts

Yes, it is tomorrow.

Ken

David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
3 years ago
60 posts

Play Porch Red.JPG

updated by @david-bennett: 08/27/21 09:43:33AM
LisavB
LisavB
@lisavb
3 years ago
58 posts

It's this weekend, right?  Wooo!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,425 posts

@carla-maxwell & @ocean-daughter If the weather's fit, we'll all be able to play a tune or two outdoors!  

For the places on Earth with drought and fire/threat of fire now I hope they get the opportunity to be playing indoors on a rainy (not flooding) day.  

Happy strumming, friends!  

Carla Maxwell
Carla Maxwell
@carla-maxwell
3 years ago
13 posts

ocean-daughter:

We have more of a front stoop than a porch, but I'll figure out a way to be out there. 

That's the spirit of it! Good on ya! It's been cold and raining here in Daylesford, AU, for weeks and my fingers are crossed that the weather is good enough to be outside that day.

ocean-daughter
@ocean-daughter
3 years ago
45 posts

We have more of a front stoop than a porch, but I'll figure out a way to be out there. 

Carla Maxwell
Carla Maxwell
@carla-maxwell
3 years ago
13 posts

Robin Thompson:

Friends, the international day event called Play Music On The Porch Day is always the last Saturday in August-- not far away.  Do you have your tune chosen yet?  If not, you have plenty of time and can even decide on a tune at the last minute.  :)

dulcimer1

I don't have a tune picked out, but I'm looking forward to international Play Music on the Porch Day. PMOTPD was a beautiful day last year and a lot of fun to be a part of the worldwide event.

TableHillpmotpd.jpg

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,425 posts

@don-grundy So glad you were able to make music outdoors!  

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
3 years ago
188 posts

June 21 is also Worldwide Make Music Day.  3 of us played our dulcimers together on the Liberty, MO square.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,425 posts

Friends, the international day event called Play Music On The Porch Day is always the last Saturday in August-- not far away.  Do you have your tune chosen yet?  If not, you have plenty of time and can even decide on a tune at the last minute.  :)

dulcimer1

updated by @robin-thompson: 06/21/21 07:38:17PM
David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
4 years ago
60 posts

Robin Thompson:

David, I watched your movie on YT yesterday-- well done!  

Thanks Robin!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,425 posts

David, I watched your movie on YT yesterday-- well done!  

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
4 years ago
188 posts
EXCELLENT! Thank you.
David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
4 years ago
60 posts

A friend came and played with me for Play on the porch day

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,252 posts

That's right, it's more about the doing of it, not the recording of it.
You did good playing for your friend, Irene.  flower

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,425 posts

@irene, in my book, you did play for PMOTPD!  The fact that you don't have a good recording is just a little thing.  

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
4 years ago
167 posts

Been finishing up dulcimer #48 and at the end of the day, remembered.   Grabbed my dulcimer and headed into Nauvoo to play for my friend that is going into a big cancer operation and we're all praying that he makes it.   I called and said he could stay inside and I play on his porch.   So I started my phone to record it, and handed it to his wife that was outside to take a photo.   hrumph.   All I got on the phone was a 2 second record playing that I was on......repeat.   ha ha ha.   but my friend and his wife enjoyed me playing for them.  A perfect day here as the sun went down on the porch.   Maybe NEXT YEAR, I'll be able to get my whole act together and have someone else record it.  or at least take one photo.....I'm grateful I got to do this for my friend.   He requested old 60's songs and yeah, I know those too.  aloha, irene

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,425 posts

@don-grundy I'm sorry you got rained out!  You'll get to play a make up game now.  :)

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
4 years ago
188 posts
It rained most of the day and then we ran errands.
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,425 posts

@gordon-hardy I watched your video yesterday and enjoyed it!  

Worldwide PMOTPD had so many participants this year-- more than ever, I imagine.  Thanks to all who participated and to all who watched videos!

@don-grundy, did you get to play on your porch?  

Any friends want to tell about your adventures with music on PMOTPD?  (We had a tech problem of some kind and it took well over an hour to upload our little film to YT.)

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
4 years ago
188 posts
Another great dulcimer video!
Gordon Hardy
Gordon Hardy
@gordon-hardy
4 years ago
28 posts

Robin Thompson:

Lovely playing and singing! Thank you!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,425 posts

Gordon Hardy
Gordon Hardy
@gordon-hardy
4 years ago
28 posts

World Wide Play Music On The Porch Day!! Here is my submission

LisavB
LisavB
@lisavb
4 years ago
58 posts

Today is the day!!!  Excited.  Looks like it will be nice weather here, planning to take out the dulcimer and the acoustic guitar later today and have at it!!!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,425 posts

So, you'll be all ready to celebrate the day, @don-grundy !  Happy strumming!

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
4 years ago
188 posts
I have my T-shirt from last year.
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,425 posts

Friends, worldwide Play Music on the Porch Day is always the last Saturday in August.  So, 29 August is the day!  Mark & I have been practicing the song we will do on the holiday and hope our friends will make homemade music on the day, too:)

updated by @robin-thompson: 06/29/21 03:43:21PM