Kristi Keller
Kristi Keller
@kristi-keller
12 years ago
84 posts

Welcome Gayle!

Perhaps the group is so friendly because most of us are in a state of constant discovery of tunes, styles and all the wonderful "stuff" surrounding music. The joy of sharing seems strong because it is fun to share and learn.

Take time to explore the different groups and join any that interest you. And ask lots of questions. Be prepared for helpful advice.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
12 years ago
399 posts

Welcome to the group, Gayle! I, too, think that dulcimer players are pretty special people. Most of us are just chock full of enthusiasm for this instrument and the music we play--and we play all kinds! We come from a variety of backgrounds and music experience and live all over the world. But we're all part of the dulcimer "family". Glad to have you aboard!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
12 years ago
85 posts

Have to agree with Rob. We just aren't right and want everyone to feel at home, not being right.

R N Lackey said:

It's really 'cause we just ain't right

--
Site Moderator
Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
12 years ago
231 posts

Gayle, welcome!!! I hope you find great friends and information about this incredible instrument. I agree with Rob...it's because we ain't right, LOL. I enjoyed your video. Like I said I'm still a newbie too. I have made wonderful friends and am learning lots of things about playing the dulcimer. You will be amazed at how versatile this instrument is. I'm sure you will enjoy the videos from the other members. I doSmile.gif

Foggers
Foggers
@foggers
12 years ago
62 posts

Hi Gayle and welcome aboard!

I agree that every website has its own "tone" and a lot of that is influenced by the approach taken by the moderator(s). Here on FOTMD there is a culture of welcoming everyone, regardless of identity or ability, and focusing on the thing we have in common, i.e. our love of and interest in the mountain dulcimer. So I really do find it to be the most friendly site I use on the whole World Wide Web!

folkfan
@folkfan
12 years ago
357 posts

Especially if you're playing on a possum board. hehehehee

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
12 years ago
1,727 posts

Gayle, Robin is certainly right that different websites have different personalities, and Strumelia and the early members here certainly set a friendly and encouraging tone that is what has drawn so many of us to this little corner of the internet.

But I also think that something of the dulcimer's personality comes out in those who play the instrument. It is a humble folk instrument with no pretense at all. It can make very sophisticated music (not in my hands, of course) but is more at home on the porch being played by familiy and friends who care more about having fun than impressing anyone.

And no one can play something called a hogfiddle and take themselves too seriously.35.gif

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
12 years ago
2,124 posts

Hogfiddle is one of the regional American names for the mountain or Appalachian Dulcimer; along with Indian Walking Stick, Dulcemore, Scantlin', and Tennessee Music Box. A Possum board is a detachable second back that gives your dulcimer more volume without electric amplification. Check out my article here in the Blog section called I Just Got A Dulcimer, Now What? It's an illustrated glossary of dulcimer terms, plus answers to many beginner questions about tuning, playing, music, care and feeding of our favorite instrument.

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

Carrie you summed that up beautifully! The dulcimer brings everyone together. I was amazed to find out there are doctors, pilot,nurses, accountants, ministers,mountain climber, people in exotic places all over the world and the one thing they have in common is they play the dulcimer and have fun and enjoy it. It's such a simple instrument that has so much potential and fits in everywhere. So many people like me had a wish to be able to play a musical instrument but thought it not possible because of no musical education. But the dulcimer proves anyone with the want and love of music can play whether the simpilest tune like Bile Cabbage to Starry Night(Vincent) to Classical music and everything inbetween,depending on how far they want to take it. And right here is the only place I know of were you have a loving, encouraging, helpful audiance. Your own spotlight.Hope that speil made since.Smile.gif

folkfan
@folkfan
12 years ago
357 posts

Actually what it is is that we're dotty. Or at least some of us are dotty and others are not and sometimes we're both.

Marking dots that is.

Cheryl Johnson
Cheryl Johnson
@cheryl-johnson
12 years ago
43 posts

Hi Gayle! I'm not sure if its all dulcimer players or just all FOTMD dulcimer players....I think the later! It is a great site with wonderful group of people. I started posting videos from the very first week I had my dulcimer and received so much encouragement! It was very uplifting and I think I'm getting better because folks are so generous in the praise and also with information regarding the nuts and bolts of playing dulcimer. Can't say enough about these folks and so glad you have found the site!!

Cheryl

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

I'm just jealous Sam because my Koi won't let me skinny dip in there water hole. LOL

Sam said:

Dana I enjoy my small pleasures ....... he he ........

Gayle ... simple answer to your question, for me ... I keep hoping somebody will show up that I play better than .... so far ... sigh ... nope .................. but they let me stay anywayGrin.gif

Sam
Sam
@sam
12 years ago
169 posts

Dana I enjoy my small pleasures ....... he he ........

Gayle ... simple answer to your question, for me ... I keep hoping somebody will show up that I play better than .... so far ... sigh ... nope .................. but they let me stay anywayGrin.gif

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
folkfan
@folkfan
12 years ago
357 posts

Hi Gayle. Welcome to the family. I'm sort of with Dana. We're family and it's a family where everyone is welcome.

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

Your a good one to talk about getting your feet wet, resident skinny dipper109.gif

Sam
Sam
@sam
12 years ago
169 posts

Hi Gayle ... posting videos here is kinder a 'you show me your's, I'll show you mine deal' ... they're gonna rag on ya till you do it, might as well get yer feet wet ... so to speak ........ welcome to FOTMD6.gif

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

I think the site is wonderful because we are all "SPECIAL" 35.gif in our own little way. Get my drift? LOL Glad you are enjoying the site.And if you really want to see how "SPECIAL" we can be check in to chat101.gif 78.gif some evening.Welcome to FOTMD. Dana

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
12 years ago
2,252 posts

She probably already saw the skinny dipping picture, so John Henry's tuxedo shouldn't be too much of a shock.

Welcome Gayle!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
12 years ago
258 posts

Gayle ! I echo what Brian has said, particulary the bit about seeing some videos from you, from my experience they will be well received, those who post are very varied in ability and allow great learning potential !

JohnH

ps. I am afraid that there is at least one photo of me wearing a tuxedo posted here, please do not hold that against me 105.gif

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
12 years ago
420 posts

It's really 'cause we just ain't right

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
12 years ago
2,124 posts

Welcome to our little corner of musical Paradise.

Why? Maybe because we're fans of an unusual instrument with an interesting history. Maybe it's because we like 'rooting for an underdog'. Maybe it's because we like being 'different'. Somehow the dulcimer just isn't as pretentious a classical guitar or violin. Not as set in its ways as a banjo or mandolin.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,425 posts

It's good to have you be a part of FOTMD, Gayle!

Websites tend to have, for lack of a better word, personalities. I have met many wonderful folks both here at FOTMD and at another site where I'm a member, Everything Dulcimer. I think there's an indescribable something about the mountain dulcimer that draws many folks to it who just happen to be friendly.Smile.gif

Brian G.
Brian G.
@brian-g
12 years ago
94 posts

Hi Gayle! I don't have an answer to your question, but just wanted to take a moment to say welcome to FOTMD. :) As you've noticed, it's a very friendly group here, so please make yourself at home, and enjoy. I hope to see some of your videos soon. :)

Kind regards,

Brian