"New" harp dulcimer and Gallier A-frame prototype...

Brian G.
Brian G.
@brian-g
8 years ago
94 posts

Thank you Frank!  I'm glad you enjoyed it.  :)

Frank Dudgeon
Frank Dudgeon
@frank-dudgeon
8 years ago
14 posts

Just lovely.  Thank you!

Brian G.
Brian G.
@brian-g
8 years ago
94 posts

Thanks Lexie and Dusty! I appreciate the comments, and the info on the tune.  :)

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,727 posts

Congrats on your two very special acquisitions, Brian.

And I really like your sensitive playing of La Mort de Coucy.  That is an original tune Neal wrote after reading Barbara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror on 14th-century Europe.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
8 years ago
229 posts

Very beautiful Brian, you have me fascinated. Thanks for the demonstration.

Brian G.
Brian G.
@brian-g
8 years ago
94 posts

Thanks Marg! I'm really enjoying them.  :)

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

Beautiful dulcimers and exciting to have new instruments to make such fantastic sounds with.

Brian G.
Brian G.
@brian-g
8 years ago
94 posts

Thanks Patty and Robin.  :) I'm glad you like it.  And Robin, you are much too kind!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 years ago
1,425 posts

Brian, that instrument sounds fantastic!  (Everything you play sounds fantastic, truth be told.)

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
8 years ago
231 posts

Brian, that is cool. Thanks for the video!

Brian G.
Brian G.
@brian-g
8 years ago
94 posts

Hello and Happy New Years all. :) A few people had asked me what my harp dulcimer sounds like, so here is a link to a short video. This is a quick run-through of La Mort de Coucy, a tune I learned from a book by Neal Hellman sometime in the mid 1990s, if I recall correctly.

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Brian, you got me excited to hear the harp dulcimer, John Doan is a pleasure to hear. Thanks.

Brian G.
Brian G.
@brian-g
9 years ago
94 posts

Thanks again all. Yes, I will try to post a video soon.  :)  Ken - yes, I figured it had to be John.  I remember we had also corresponded via e-mail briefly when he was thinking of coming east for some shows.  I don't believe he ever did make it here at that time.  In any event, yes - he is a fantastic harp guitarist.  For anyone who might be reading and may be curious, here is John Doan introducing the harp guitar and playing Wake (Waiting for the Dawn):

John Doan, harp guitar, Wake (Waiting for the Dawn)

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,123 posts

Brian -- yes -- John Doan.  Professor of music at Willamette Univ, and fabulous harp-guitarist.  Writes a lot of neo-Celtic music for h-g.  Here in Florida I've had th pleasure of jamming a couple of times with Andy Whalberg, John's local equivalent.

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
9 years ago
231 posts

Brian, they are beautiful! I'm looking forward to hearing you play them especially the one with the harp smile

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
9 years ago
1,083 posts

Brian, those are wonderful instruments and I'm sure a pleasure to play. Have fun with them, which I am sure you will.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Brian G.
Brian G.
@brian-g
9 years ago
94 posts

Hi all!  Thanks again for your comments. Yes, I'll eventually get around to making a video. 

Ken, you are absolutely correct.  Hey, would your friend in Oregon happen to be John Doan?  He was friends with a good friend of mine who unfortunately was killed in a hit and run accident, so I don't find my way to Oregon all that often anymore, but I believe I met John once or twice (though I doubt he'd remember me). 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,123 posts

Harp-dulcimer is a logical extension of the Harp-Guitar, which has been around at least 200 years.  Essentially it's a conventional guitar with an expanded string set which includes a number of unfretted strings, often strung below the lowest string note, but sometimes divided into 'super' strings above the highest string note, and 'sub' strings.

Schepsis' translation of the concept to the dulcimer is very well conceived both visually and (I assume) acoustically. 

I have friends both here in Florida and in Oregon, who are two of the reigning masters of the harp-guitar, and who will love to see this dulcimer adaptation.

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

I have not seen a harp/dulcimer, Brian perhaps you would demonstrate playing it sometime. Both are beautiful instruments.

Susie
Susie
@susie
9 years ago
500 posts

Brian, very beautiful instruments. I bet they sound amazing!

Brian G.
Brian G.
@brian-g
9 years ago
94 posts

Thanks all. I'm really enjoying both of them.  Jan, do you have any photos or video of either of yours? I'd love to see them.  Also, can you please message me if you have any current contact for Bob S.?  I'd love to be able to ask him a couple questions.  :)

KR,

Brian

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
9 years ago
85 posts

Very nice, Brian.

--
Site Moderator
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
399 posts

I have one of Bob Schepis's standard dulcimers--it sings very sweetly!  I have to say, though, that it's hard to beat the tone and ease of play of Gary Gallier's A-Frame.  I have #4, built in 2006 and absolutely love it--and I feel very fortunate to have located a used one to buy, since most folks won't part with them for any reason!

Enjoy!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,252 posts

Those are amazing!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 years ago
1,425 posts

Wow, Brian, I've never before seen a harp dulcimer-- way cool!  Your Gallier's a beauty, too! 

Brian G.
Brian G.
@brian-g
9 years ago
94 posts

I just added a couple of very special instruments to the collection and thought I'd share. The one on the left is a walnut, purpleheart and spruce harp dulcimer built by Bob Schepis. According to correspondence I have, it is the only harp dulcimer he ever built (it's the 86th instrument overall that he built). I found it interesting that next to his signature he wrote Psalm 150:3-4 ("Praise him with trumpet sound; praise him with lute and harp! Praise him with tambourine and dance; praise him with strings and Pipe!")

The instrument on the right is a prototype by Gary Gallier , of the Gallier A-frame dulcimer. It's mahogany and redwood, serial number A-1, built in Oct. 2005.

Both of these instruments look and sound great and I'm pretty happy to have them. Thanks for having a look.  :)

newestdulcimers.jpg
newestdulcimers.jpg  •  61KB

updated by @brian-g: 06/08/16 09:24:05PM