How Many Dulcimers Do You Own?

Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

Dusty Turtle:

Susie: Thanks to all who shared here. I thought we'd get a little more interest in the thread, but if you don't feel comfortable sharing that's fine.

Susie, I haven't shared in this thread for the simple reason that I don't want to admit how many dulcimers I have!

giggle2

We do heart our dulcimer !!!

Mary
Mary
@mary
3 years ago
4 posts

I just ordered a Tennessee Music Box so that will make 5 dulcimers. I also have 2 guitars, a tack head banjo & a autoharp.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,731 posts

Susie: Thanks to all who shared here. I thought we'd get a little more interest in the thread, but if you don't feel comfortable sharing that's fine.

Susie, I haven't shared in this thread for the simple reason that I don't want to admit how many dulcimers I have!

I have four "little" dulcimers, including octave dulcimers by Ron Ewing and David Beede as well as a Ewing octave dulcimette and a "soprano" dulcimer by Laurel Mountain, those last two usually tuned up a fourth or fifth to G or A.  I also have four full-size dulcimers: a Modern Mountain Dulcimer made of lacewood, a Blue Lion IC, a Bill Taylor made of quilted maple, and a cherry/spruce Rick Probst which I have tuned as a baritone.  

You can do the math.  I'd rather not admit it.  Maybe it's time to part with one or two.

I also have two guitars, a mandolin, a ukulele, an autoharp, some pennywhistles . . . 

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Mary
Mary
@mary
3 years ago
4 posts

I have 4, an early Borquin, Folkcraft, Melody Maker and a Folkcraft chromatic. Actually my first was off of ebay, It was ok for beginning, I gave it away to make room for more dulcimers,

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,434 posts

I've followed this thread and have enjoyed it!  

I have 5 dulcimers which are promised to a couple young dulcimer friends-- I own them yet they will be leaving my house when opportunity presents.  And I have one out on loan and another I keep for lending.  When all is done, I may still have 6 or 7 (or 8) mountain dulcimers-- this is including the instrument being built by Blue Lion this year.  I have 3 bowed dulcimers.  

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
3 years ago
235 posts

Susie, thanks for starting the thread. I am sure many of us enjoyed it, whether we participated or not.

Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

Thanks to all who shared here. I thought we'd get a little more interest in the thread, but if you don't feel comfortable sharing that's fine. I've enjoyed seeing what dulcimers people own, some of which are new to me. Enjoy what you have and play on.

ghcstr
@ghcstr
3 years ago
4 posts

Total of 4 in the order I got them:

1 Simplicity by Backyard Instruments (cardboard)

1 June Apple dulcimer by Carl Gotzmer / Jessica Wills (black walnut body / western red cedar top)

1 FolkRoots D100S (mahogany & Sitka Spruce)

1 Blue Lion IW Chromatic (walnut & western red cedar)

updated by @ghcstr: 04/13/21 07:58:14AM
Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

It is cool to see the variety of dulcimers that people own. We, as players, have quite the selection of makers, models, shapes, sizes, woods, configurations, etc. 

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
3 years ago
207 posts

A few........

3 Warren May's in Walnut

Cherry Ray Epler

Gila Mountain by Kerry Coates

Cherry Folkcraft

Walnut and Spruce  Folkcraft Baritone

Deluxe German Scheitholt by Carl Goetzmer

Cherry McSpaden Baritone

Pritchard Reproduction by Kevin Messenger

6 String by JR Beale

Homer Ledford

Large Irish by Carl Goetzmer in Mahogany

Bobby Ratliff Virginian

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,092 posts

Yes, Susie, I've had more at one time. They come and go. It's the ebb and flow of dulcimer ownership.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

Thanks to those who have shared so far. Ken, I like your comment "...I only have 15.". It sounds like you once owned many more. winker

updated by @susie: 04/11/21 05:34:55PM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,092 posts

At the moment I only have 15: the first one I made which is based on a plan by Joseph Wallo, rosewood and spruce; a teardrop from Scott Antes plans, rosewood and spruce; the same model but made of marine grade mahogany plywood and spruce; the same model made of chestnut and spruce; a Blue Lion hourglass, rosewood, red cedar, and mahogany; a Folkcraft all walnut hourglass (the last two have have built in pickups), a David Lynch travel dulcimer; Musical Traditions hourglass of walnut; an walnut hourglass made by Warren May; an original James Edward Thomas all walnut hourglass; a cardboard Backyard dulcimer painted navy blue; a Sunhearth teardrop made by Walt Martin made of walnut and spruce; a C.N. Prichard hourglass reproduction made of all poplar painted black; a teardrop dulcimer based on Scott Antes plan made of paduk and spruce; and one based on the C.N. Prichard dulcimer made of walnut and butternut. In addition I have  four Pennsylvania German zitters, two of which I made. One is based on an instrument in the Mercer Museum and the other is based on an instrument in the Landis Valley Museum. I also have a 16/15 hammered dulcimer and an open back banjo which I made. I made a Fender "S" style electric guitar and am currently working on an acoustic guitar.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Skip
Skip
@skip
3 years ago
359 posts

Eleven: Folkcraft Resonator, 5 string Blue Lion Jam strung as a 3 string bass, Bonnie Caroll, Black Rose, McSpadden Kit [my first MD], six I made, including one made from Koa, and a travel MD only 4" wide, a Banjimer, and a TMB that I later modified into a double bass using bass guitar tuners and strings.

The Folkcraft, Blue Lion, travel, and the Koa are the ones I use the most.

Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

I'm enjoying your posts...keep them coming. It's interesting to see what you all have.

Dan
Dan
@dan
3 years ago
185 posts

Six traditional pieces. 26 inch Betty, 26 inch Homer repro, 26 inch Dulcimore, 28 inch Thomas repro, 28 inch Ultra-lite and a 36 inch Grand. I play them all regularly!

Gale A Barr
Gale A Barr
@gale-a-barr
3 years ago
36 posts

I have 5 mountain dulcimers but always looking at new ones winker

• McCafferty chromatic - walnut/redwood top
  • McSpadden diatonic - cherry/redwood top
  • Folkroots - diatonic strung as a baritone
  • Clemmer Ban-Jammer - walnut, chromatic
  • Folkcraft - diatonic, all walnut

Also:

• 5 ukuleles of various types - banjo hybrid, ebony tenor, Fluke, etc.
  • Bowed psaltery - Pete Braden 1997
  • Ugears hurdy-gurdey
  • Rick Thum 17/17 chromatic hammered dulcimer -  gently used - Adirondack spruce/ walnut/ hard rock maple - newest addition to the music room 
A.c.N.
A.c.N.
@acn
3 years ago
1 posts

I own 6. 1Capritaures, 1 Mcspadden& 4 Cedar Creek.

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
3 years ago
235 posts

I now have 12 including 2 zitters both with staple frets. Most of mine are traditional style with staple frets, several with wooden tuners. Only one with a 6 1/2 fret.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,126 posts

Ten, plus one in process:

Jacob Gross fretted zither -- replica of one in the Mercer Museum
Large Burnsville NC holly leaf
Small Burnsville NC holly leaf
Til Holloway hourglass  -- out on loan
Harry Wicker KY hourglass
Ozark Walking Stick coffin shape
Korean Honda hourglass -- out on loan
John Knopf JE Thomas replica hourglass 
Bobby Ratliff Hogfiddle elliptical
Bobby Ratliff Cumberland Travel model elliptical -- in transit from Virginia

In process:
Buckeye Pattern Ohio pre-revival two-bout

Plus three Anglo-Saxon Lyres, a Bowed Psaltery and 4 Mirlitons

Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

I own 5, with 1 more on the way...

1. Doug Berch custom (sassafras/walnut)

2. Folkcraft custom (butternut/walnut)

3. Folkcraft Baritone custom (cherry)

4. McSpadden standard (26") (walnut)

5. McSpadden Ginger (GDG) (cherry)

6. McSpadden Ginger (DAD) (on order) (spruce/walnut)

Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

We did this 11 years ago, and then again 8 years ago. So, I thought it would be fun to do it again, and see members' current lists. I know I enjoy seeing what dulcimers (makes/models) others own. After all, DAD (dulcimer acquisition disease) is real. dulcimer jive

updated by @susie: 08/30/22 07:43:08PM

/ 2