Party Time coming for 700 !!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,253 posts
Paul Rappell said:
By the way, I hope our 800 revelers don't get out of hand! Is FotMD a "dry" site?
Anything goes. What happens at FOTMD parties.... stays at FOTMD parties. (hey, why are we still yakkin' on this old 700 member thread? - there's a new thread already for 800!)

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
14 years ago
258 posts
Paul, regarding FOTMD and its status relating to 'drink'. You need to talk to Rod Westerfield on this subject, but be careful, he managed to get me into real trouble at a previous party, DO NOT offer to look after the 'Dew'Thanks for the info on TorontoJohnH Paul Rappell said:
John Henry said:
Good morning Paul, read your notes on Swansea. Wondered if there is direct historical link with ours?
my regards, JohnH

Ontario is full of British place names - London, Perth, Brighton, Inverary, Windsor, Scarborough, York, to name but a few. Sawnsea was originally called the village of Windermere. I have no idea why they changed it (maybe someone came from there). In the early 1900s the rowdy railroad workers would have too much alcohol and get into fights, so they made it a "dry" town. Swansea includes High Park, a huge park in the which had coyotes (in the middle of Toronto!) when I was there. Swansea/West Toronto ("The Junction" - a former railroad town) was the last neighbourhood in Toronto to be dry. It went wet after a referendum in the early nineties. I suppose it wouldn't have made a such good place for a "party for 800" before the vote.

By the way, I hope our 800 revelers don't get out of hand! Is FotMD a "dry" site?
Paul Rappell
Paul Rappell
@paul-rappell
14 years ago
31 posts
John Henry said:
Good morning Paul, read your notes on Swansea. Wondered if there is direct historical link with ours?
my regards, JohnH
Ontario is full of British place names - London, Perth, Brighton, Inverary, Windsor, Scarborough, York, to name but a few. Sawnsea was originally called the village of Windermere. I have no idea why they changed it (maybe someone came from there). In the early 1900s the rowdy railroad workers would have too much alcohol and get into fights, so they made it a "dry" town. Swansea includes High Park, a huge park in the which had coyotes (in the middle of Toronto!) when I was there. Swansea/West Toronto ("The Junction" - a former railroad town) was the last neighbourhood in Toronto to be dry. It went wet after a referendum in the early nineties. I suppose it wouldn't have made a such good place for a "party for 800" before the vote.By the way, I hope our 800 revelers don't get out of hand! Is FotMD a "dry" site?
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
14 years ago
258 posts
Good morning Paul, read your notes on Swansea. Wondered if there is direct historical link with ours?my regards, JohnH Paul Rappell said:
John Henry said:
So, party time again soon, looks as if I will have to take a trip over to Swansea.

JohnH

I suppose I could make a trip to Swansea, too - Swansea, former village, now a part of central Toronto, and my old neighbourhood!

With good timing, we'll be able to celebrate 800 by the FIRST of July, Canada's birthday! We can raise a glass to Sir John A. MacDonald, Canada's first Prime Minister, who raised many (very, very many) a glass himself during his lifetime. Here in Kingston, you can see all the places Sir John A. lived, slept, ate, practised law, and got drunk.

Although it seems as though we may reach the number earlier. Maybe we need to check other countries' birthdays.
Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
14 years ago
242 posts
When y'all plan a party, Y'all do it UP!Paul
Rod Westerfield
Rod Westerfield
@rod-westerfield
14 years ago
109 posts
yep John H.. I have 2 - 55 gallons drums reserved.. cause like ya say the numbers getting larger means more supplies..p.s. I have a guard all ready arrange to watch the other dew this time JohnGrin.gif
Paul Rappell
Paul Rappell
@paul-rappell
14 years ago
31 posts
John Henry said:
So, party time again soon, looks as if I will have to take a trip over to Swansea.

JohnH

I suppose I could make a trip to Swansea, too - Swansea, former village, now a part of central Toronto, and my old neighbourhood!With good timing, we'll be able to celebrate 800 by the FIRST of July, Canada's birthday! We can raise a glass to Sir John A. MacDonald, Canada's first Prime Minister, who raised many (very, very many) a glass himself during his lifetime. Here in Kingston, you can see all the places Sir John A. lived, slept, ate, practised law, and got drunk.Although it seems as though we may reach the number earlier. Maybe we need to check other countries' birthdays.
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
14 years ago
1,426 posts
Wakes can be fun. Well, in a way they can be. ;) razyn said:
I was afraid we were going to have to have a wake, for the 40.
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
14 years ago
258 posts
Sory Dana, I got it wrong, did'nt I!John
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
14 years ago
258 posts
So, party time again soon, looks as if I will have to take a trip over to Swansea to purchase enough Laver bread, Cockles, and Welsh cakes for 800! The increase in FOTMD membership is beginning to make catering for parties a bit expensive!!! I am hoping that Dana MaCall can provide enough bacon fat to fry the Laver bread in? You ordered that 'dew' yet Rod?JohnH Strumelia said:
Michael, there is a glitch right now in the member numbers.
We actually have 791 current members. The "see All Members" link only shows 744. I imagine this will be fixed soon by Ning. It's happened before for a day or two.When I go to the Administrator view it shows all 791 members.Somebody should start a new 800 member party thread I suppose...
razyn
@razyn
14 years ago
40 posts
I was afraid we were going to have to have a wake, for the 40.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,253 posts
Michael, there is a glitch right now in the member numbers.We actually have 791 current members. The "see All Members" link only shows 744.I imagine this will be fixed soon by Ning. It's happened before for a day or two.When I go to the Administrator view it shows all 791 members.Somebody should start a new 800 member party thread I suppose...

--
Site Owner

Michael Vickey
Michael Vickey
@michael-vickey
14 years ago
28 posts
razyn said:
It is conceivable that FOTMD will have to squeeze in an 800 Member party before grocery shopping for the big 4th of July cookout. I just peeked, and the number this AM was 784.
That's odd. Today the number is 744. Where did 40 members go?Michael
Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
14 years ago
242 posts
I'm glad to hear that, since I musta missed the 700 shindig.Paul
razyn
@razyn
14 years ago
40 posts
It is conceivable that FOTMD will have to squeeze in an 800 Member party before grocery shopping for the big 4th of July cookout. I just peeked, and the number this AM was 784.
folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
No problem, Just hit the delete button. The magic of cyberspace. Strumelia said:
OK, so who's gonna help with the after-party mess ...?? 114.gif

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
14 years ago
258 posts
I,ll give a hand to repair some of the chairs that got damaged, but there is no way that I am going to try to repolish the top of the table that Rod parked that mountain dew on; the burn marks are right down to the wood!!!JohnH Strumelia said:
OK, so who's gonna help with the after-party mess ...?? 114.gif

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,253 posts
OK, so who's gonna help with the after-party mess ...??

--
Site Owner

folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
Sounds yummy. Good luck with the cucumbers. I never seem to have any luck with veggies, so haven't ordered any seeds for anything really interesting like your "White Wonder". Tomatoes don't even do well for me. Strumelia said:
Folkfan, I ordered some 'White Wonder' type cucumbers seeds for my garden, very mild and a white color. The seed catalog suggested the following recipe, but I haven't tried it yet! It sounds really good, and I might add a touch of lemon juice:
{{{Lebanese style: slice two small White Wonders paper thin. Add 1 cup yogurt, a pinch of salt and chopped mint leaves to taste. Chill for one hour but serve at room temperature.}}}
I googled 'Lebanese cucumber yogurt', and here are many other variations:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=Lebanese+cucumber+...
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,253 posts
Folkfan, I ordered some 'White Wonder' type cucumbers seeds for my garden, very mild and a white color. The seed catalog suggested the following recipe, but I haven't tried it yet! It sounds really good, and I might add a touch of lemon juice:{{{Lebanese style: slice two small White Wonders paper thin. Add 1 cup yogurt, a pinch of salt and chopped mint leaves to taste. Chill for one hour but serve at room temperature.}}}I googled 'Lebanese cucumber yogurt', and here are many other variations: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=Lebanese+cucumber+yogurt&aq=f&aqi=g2&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=caec63d5ff72707a

--
Site Owner

folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
Strumelia, If you don't mind sharing, I would love to get your cucumber/yogurt salad recipe. You could post it over on the Kitchen Sink Discussion that Ken's started. Eat more yogurt, Yah, Yah, Yah!!! Thanks Strumelia said:
Dick, that video is too funny! She's a good dancer, for sure!
Rod, I'm making my healthy non-fat cucumber and yogurt salad right now- gotta balance those cookies and mountain dew somehow. 3.gif This suggests we actually have a chance to hit 1000 by our first year FOTMD anniversary at the end of July. Wow Grin.gif
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,253 posts
Dick, that video is too funny! She's a good dancer, for sure!Rod, I'm making my healthy non-fat cucumber and yogurt salad right now- gotta balance those cookies and mountain dew somehow. This suggests we actually have a chance to hit 1000 by our first year FOTMD anniversary at the end of July. Wow

--
Site Owner

Bill Lewis
Bill Lewis
@bill-lewis
14 years ago
48 posts
WoW 700 members. They say build it and they will come. Congrats to Lisa and everybody else for making this one of the best places on the net. Glad to be a part of it.
Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
14 years ago
85 posts
Congrats on 700.... We're not even a year old yet!!!

--
Site Moderator
Rod Westerfield
Rod Westerfield
@rod-westerfield
14 years ago
109 posts
way to go.. I like party time... I brought some no bake cookies, peanut butter cookies and some Mountain Dew.. don't worry John got this one covered...Grin.gif
razyn
@razyn
14 years ago
40 posts
Strumelia said: I would LOVE to be able to dance like those teenage clog dancers in that video I didn't bring any party food, so I guess I'll just bring Leah (my first cousin, once removed); there won't be a better time to run one of the video ads for her business, Grumpy's Bail Bonds. She was Miss Tennessee, some years ago, and her talent in the Miss America pageant was clogging. I'd guess she's around 42, now -- but she's still right limber. I couldn't do this when I was 22. (And I do love that Middle Tennessee accent.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ZfAI8L9RQ&feature=player_embedded If any of you have read the Stephanie Plum detective series, they are kind of alike: two young women in the same unusual line of work, but with substantial ethnic and regional differences. Oh, and Leah is a real person. Stephanie is a figment of the imagination of Janet Evanovich.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,253 posts
I would LOVE to be able to dance like those teenage clog dancers in that video- they are so great !I've been going to a contra dance here in town once a month, sort of like square dancing. But hey those teens are just fabulous.

--
Site Owner

Carla Maxwell
Carla Maxwell
@carla-maxwell
14 years ago
13 posts
Congratulations! Great accomplishment!
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,253 posts
Woo-HOOOOO !!!! SEVEN HUNDRED MEMBERS!!!! .....Who'd of ever thunk it?????? ...And congratulations to Kontrapunkt- our 700th member!!!

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,253 posts
Only one more to go.....

--
Site Owner

folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
John Henry, Bring your cheese please. Don't bring processed cheese slices. It isn't the type of cheese that the was the problem with my experience with stinky cheese. But rather it is a story of a cheese that had gone bad, really bad.On a car trip my dad had somehow gotten hold of a wax covered chunk of colby longhorn cheese. A cheese I normally love, but after sitting in the hot car unrefrigerated, it was RIPE. For some reason he thought that it would keep unopened. It just didn't. Both it and the family were turning green by the time we got to Yellowstone when he finally tossed it out. There was a bear near by and it was approaching the car, so he slowed down, cracked open the window and tossed it like a football. DUMB, but sort of a typical tourist type of stunt. The bear came over to the cheese, sniffed, turned up it's nose and waddled away. Who'd have though that food would be a bear deterrent. Or maybe this was just an extra smart bear.It took me awhile before I could eat colby cheese again. Actually quite awhile.Tongue.gif Grin.gif
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
14 years ago
258 posts
I could just bring some processed cheese slices, I don't want to cause any more trouble: I had enough bother about the mountain dew that time before.................JohnH Strumelia said:
My great grandfather who was German used to LOVE his Limburger cheese. But my great grandmother used to make him go down to the basement to eat it. Poor Gros papa!- sitting down there amongst the crocks of pickles and saurkraut, eating his stinky cheese all alone! 46.gif
Frown.gif Frown.gif Frown.gif 26.gif 26.gif 26.gif
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,253 posts
My great grandfather who was German used to LOVE his Limburger cheese. But my great grandmother used to make him go down to the basement to eat it. Poor Gros papa!- sitting down there amongst the crocks of pickles and saurkraut, eating his stinky cheese all alone!

--
Site Owner

folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
I hope Kendra doesn't mind if I borrow her clothes pin for my nose if you all are going to be doing a lot of sticky cheese. I've got a story about sticky cheese that to this day when I think about it, I want to open the windows. 47.gif 47.gif
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
14 years ago
2,124 posts
Gonna get crowded in the Stinky Cheese Room. I love Stinking Bishop. First had it in a little shop in Teweksbury in 1989. With a glass of Stinking Bishop Perry, of course!
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
14 years ago
258 posts
Strumelia! You may have to share it with 'Wallace and Gromit' !!! JohnH Strumelia said:
I'll be going into the stinky cheese room as well! mmmm..... 38.gif
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,253 posts
I'll be going into the stinky cheese room as well! mmmm.....

--
Site Owner

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
14 years ago
1,727 posts
If y'all want to have a stinky cheese competition, I'll be happy to be the judge. I just hope you won't mind if I accompany the cheese with a nice dessert wine and some fresh fruit. Yummo!D.T. Paul Rappell said:
Not to get competitive with stinky cheese, but I could bring some Oka cheese, made by the monks at Oka near Montreal, which just might empty the room! On second thought, maybe we can put it in its own room.

Paul

John Henry said:
I will bring a whole 'Stinking Bishop' cheese from Gloucestershire.
JohnH8.gif

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Paul Rappell
Paul Rappell
@paul-rappell
14 years ago
31 posts
Not to get competitive with stinky cheese, but I could bring some Oka cheese, made by the monks at Oka near Montreal, which just might empty the room! On second thought, maybe we can put it in its own room.Paul John Henry said:
I will bring a whole 'Stinking Bishop' cheese from Gloucestershire.
JohnH8.gif
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
14 years ago
258 posts
Decision time! 700 members, and party time. I will bring a whole 'Stinking Bishop' cheese from Gloucestershire, a firkin of 'Festivity Ale' from Bath Breweries, Somerset, a large jar of my brothers pickled shallots fom Lyme Regis,Dorset, and just hope that Stumelia comes up trumps with some of her fabulous bread. 700...............! who'd have thought it. Thank you Lisa.JohnH8.gif
folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
Sorry about the mistake on smoking vs grilling for the chipolte. I had someone take the ripe jalepeno and slow grill them over a smoky fire and they called them chipolte afterwards.And I wouldn't call a wax bean a butter bean as to me a butter bean is a lima bean not like the yellowish string bean that I've always called wax beans. I wonder if this is a regional difference.Butter beans to me are the large, flat lima beans that are white in color rather than the smaller green variety of lima that we call baby limas.Interesting how names even in the same country can be different. Ken Hulme said:
Ok John. You've gotten the start of an American culinary vocabulary now that we've cleared up Garbanzos for you. You also know that Anchos are dried Poblano peppers, both of which have more flavor but almost no more heat than an ordinary bell pepper. And a Chipotle is a ripe and smoked (not grilled as someone said) Jalapeo pepper. Oh yes - and Wax beans are like green beans but more subtle flavor, and they are sometimes called string beans or butter beans.

Pepper have confusing names because they change name often, when dried - like Poblano/Ancho and jalapeo/chipotle. Poblanos/Anchos are very mild - often hardly warmer than a green or red bell pepper. Another mild dried pepper is the Chile Negro and Chile Mulatto. Soaking a dried pepper for 20 minutes in warm water brings them back to life. Chipotles are definately spicy. You quite often find them canned "en adobo sauce" which is a decidedly spicy tomato sauce.

Here's one you may or may not know - the salad green you call Rocket we call Arugula! Took me forever to figure out what Jamie Oliver was nattering on about!

The UK and the US - two countries divided by a common language!
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
14 years ago
258 posts
Hey Ken! just picked up your message, Had a houseful for the holiday weekend, been busy, even done most of the cooking, we are pushing eighty, and I do try and take the strain where I can!!! Like other things, you are right about the common lanuage, tho' of course it it just not that, it is only fairly recently that we have started to regard peppers as an every day cooking ingredient; when we first got married ('52) they were just not around, 'twas the advent of easy travel that began to expose us to more exotic fare than " Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pud". Jamie Oliver! Are you able to see his stuff over there? We have almost non stop cookery programs on our screens, and this of course has presented many more options aimed at tickleing our taste buds. The next time I visit our local Mexian resturant I can toss out some pepper based terms as if I know what I am talking about! Be interesting to see what arrives on the table! Thank you for your reply,Regards, John Ken Hulme said:
Ok John. You've gotten the start of an American culinary vocabulary now that we've cleared up Garbanzos for you. You also know that Anchos are dried Poblano peppers, both of which have more flavor but almost no more heat than an ordinary bell pepper. And a Chipotle is a ripe and smoked (not grilled as someone said) Jalapeo pepper. Oh yes - and Wax beans are like green beans but more subtle flavor, and they are sometimes called string beans or butter beans.

Pepper have confusing names because they change name often, when dried - like Poblano/Ancho and jalapeo/chipotle. Poblanos/Anchos are very mild - often hardly warmer than a green or red bell pepper. Another mild dried pepper is the Chile Negro and Chile Mulatto. Soaking a dried pepper for 20 minutes in warm water brings them back to life. Chipotles are definately spicy. You quite often find them canned "en adobo sauce" which is a decidedly spicy tomato sauce.

Here's one you may or may not know - the salad green you call Rocket we call Arugula! Took me forever to figure out what Jamie Oliver was nattering on about!

The UK and the US - two countries divided by a common language!
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
14 years ago
1,727 posts
OK, I see I am going to be the one to corrupt this festive gathering with some potent libations.We have a Meyer lemon tree in our yard, and for those who don't know the Meyer, it is a sweeter, less acidic lemon often used by bakers for lemon tarts and the like. Some believe it was a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange, and it almost has a tangerine tinge to the flavor. If you let the lemons age a bit on the tree to the point that you think they are beginning to rot, the sweetness intensifies even more.Last night, my wife, brother-in-law, and I enjoyed the most delicious cocktail. (You can obviously alter the volumes below so long as the ratios stay the same.) My wife calls this drink a lemon drop, but I've heard that name used for other drinks. I prefer not to name this one and just to think of it as a hard Meyer lemonade.2 ounces fresh squeezed Meyer lemon juice2 ounces vodka1 ounce simple syrupPour those ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well. Strain into a martini glass rimmed with sugar and garnish with a lemon slice.Tastes so good and feels even better!I wish I could mix one up for Strumelia for beginning this gathering and then go on to offer each of you one as well.Cheers,D.T.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
14 years ago
2,124 posts
Ok John. You've gotten the start of an American culinary vocabulary now that we've cleared up Garbanzos for you. You also know that Anchos are dried Poblano peppers, both of which have more flavor but almost no more heat than an ordinary bell pepper. And a Chipotle is a ripe and smoked (not grilled as someone said) Jalapeo pepper. Oh yes - and Wax beans are like green beans but more subtle flavor, and they are sometimes called string beans or butter beans.Pepper have confusing names because they change name often, when dried - like Poblano/Ancho and jalapeo/chipotle. Poblanos/Anchos are very mild - often hardly warmer than a green or red bell pepper. Another mild dried pepper is the Chile Negro and Chile Mulatto. Soaking a dried pepper for 20 minutes in warm water brings them back to life. Chipotles are definately spicy. You quite often find them canned "en adobo sauce" which is a decidedly spicy tomato sauce.Here's one you may or may not know - the salad green you call Rocket we call Arugula! Took me forever to figure out what Jamie Oliver was nattering on about!The UK and the US - two countries divided by a common language!
Paul Rappell
Paul Rappell
@paul-rappell
14 years ago
31 posts
Ly's Fire Ribs from the Chez Piggy cook book.Noreen's cherry cheesecake.My thin pancakes with Ontario or Quebec maple syrup (lots of anioxidants).Root beer from the Kingston Brewing Company (those who wish can have Dragon's Breath Pale Ale from the KBC or something from the Church Key Brewery in Campbellford, in an old church). Put it off until Christmas and we can add Noreen's frothy homemade egg nog.Recommend wearing a belt with several extra buckle holes.Who's bringing the Alka Seltzer?After dinner music could include: Green Corn", "Alice's Restaurant", and "The Vegetable Dance". Gourd banjos allowed.
Dennis Waldrop
Dennis Waldrop
@dennis-waldrop
14 years ago
16 posts
I'll bring Mango bread from my new cookbook.Dennis www.homerthedulcimer.com Vicki Miles said:
Lisa...Yes, they are in my garden. Those particular ones are only about 1 1/2 inches in diameter...so cute. I think bees would be a idea. I have an epi-pen, just in case, but I'm sure they will be well behaved! ~8-)
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,253 posts
Vicki what a lovely photo! Are those your daffodils?Maybe I'll bring a few bees to the 700th member party, to 'attend to' your daffodils. lol!

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,253 posts
Bill Davenport said:
Ok, as part of the Kentucky group, I'm bringing Kentucky Fried Chicken and Derby Pie.
And lets not forget who started us on this wonderful journey. Strumelia gets the first piece of pie.
Hey thanx Bill!I'll grab a piece of that pie! :D

I think I'll make a refreshing style Spring salad, with paper thin sliced cucumber, yogurt, salt and pepper, and fresh dill and mint leaves.

--
Site Owner

folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
wax beans look like a yellowish green bean. John Henry said:
Thank you folkfan,chick peas is all I've ever known em as! Wax beans...................? I really should get out more LOL JohnH

folkfan said:
Garbanzo are also called Chick peas. They are the main ingredient in all the falafels I've ever had and frequently used in bean salads with green beans, wax beans, kidney beans and onion. Round, creamy colored with a size that is larger than a green pea.

Ancho are the dried form of the poblano peppers which are usually a mild sweet chili pepper. Though as I understand they can fool you sometimes as to their heat factor.

And chipotle are grilled jalapenos. They give a smoky heat to a dish.

Ken will probably be able to give us the exact heat factor each chili brings to the dish. All I know is that though I love spicy dishes these peppers are completely off my list for ingredients. Anything hot doesn't got into my pot anymore. DARN That's why I'm glad Ken is making this dish for a cyber party, as I'll be able to enjoy the thought of it, and not actually have it in front of me as a temptation. ;-)

John Henry said:
Ok, culture gap showing! Again! what are 'garbanzos', and 'ancho' chillies please? sorry Ken, but I like to cook, but have never heard of those two ingredients!
JohnH Ken Hulme said:
I made a fabulous but different Meat & Beans dish (not Chili - Chili has no beans!) the other day and this is the perfect excuse to make more. I used dried garbanzos, a seared for flavor then diced ham steak, onion, a couple of ancho chiles for flavor, a couple sticks of celery, a can of diced tomatoes, and half broth/half water to simmer everything in. For spices, a little cinnamon, salt & pepper, basil, rosemary & thyme from the garden, and a sprinkle of chipotle for a little smokiness and heat.
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
14 years ago
258 posts
Thank you folkfan,chick peas is all I've ever known em as! Wax beans...................? I really should get out more LOL JohnH folkfan said:
Garbanzo are also called Chick peas. They are the main ingredient in all the falafels I've ever had and frequently used in bean salads with green beans, wax beans, kidney beans and onion. Round, creamy colored with a size that is larger than a green pea.

Ancho are the dried form of the poblano peppers which are usually a mild sweet chili pepper. Though as I understand they can fool you sometimes as to their heat factor.

And chipotle are grilled jalapenos. They give a smoky heat to a dish.

Ken will probably be able to give us the exact heat factor each chili brings to the dish. All I know is that though I love spicy dishes these peppers are completely off my list for ingredients. Anything hot doesn't got into my pot anymore. DARN That's why I'm glad Ken is making this dish for a cyber party, as I'll be able to enjoy the thought of it, and not actually have it in front of me as a temptation. ;-)

John Henry said:
Ok, culture gap showing! Again! what are 'garbanzos', and 'ancho' chillies please? sorry Ken, but I like to cook, but have never heard of those two ingredients!
JohnH Ken Hulme said:
I made a fabulous but different Meat & Beans dish (not Chili - Chili has no beans!) the other day and this is the perfect excuse to make more. I used dried garbanzos, a seared for flavor then diced ham steak, onion, a couple of ancho chiles for flavor, a couple sticks of celery, a can of diced tomatoes, and half broth/half water to simmer everything in. For spices, a little cinnamon, salt & pepper, basil, rosemary & thyme from the garden, and a sprinkle of chipotle for a little smokiness and heat.
Michael Vickey
Michael Vickey
@michael-vickey
14 years ago
28 posts
I will bring fresh red ripe Plant City, FL strawberries from the local market at Zephyrhills. Make some biscuits, too.Michael Vickeyon the road in Florida
folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
Garbanzo are also called Chick peas. They are the main ingredient in all the falafels I've ever had and frequently used in bean salads with green beans, wax beans, kidney beans and onion. Round, creamy colored with a size that is larger than a green pea.Ancho are the dried form of the poblano peppers which are usually a mild sweet chili pepper. Though as I understand they can fool you sometimes as to their heat factor.And chipotle are grilled jalapenos. They give a smoky heat to a dish.Ken will probably be able to give us the exact heat factor each chili brings to the dish. All I know is that though I love spicy dishes these peppers are completely off my list for ingredients. Anything hot doesn't got into my pot anymore. DARN That's why I'm glad Ken is making this dish for a cyber party, as I'll be able to enjoy the thought of it, and not actually have it in front of me as a temptation. ;-) John Henry said:
JohnH Ken Hulme said:
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
14 years ago
1,426 posts
I'll sign Dana up for fried chicken! :)I love her stories, by the way.
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
14 years ago
258 posts
Chipotle???JH John Henry said:
JohnH

Ken Hulme said:
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
14 years ago
258 posts
Ok, culture gap showing! Again! what are 'garbanzos', and 'ancho' chillies please? sorry Ken, but I like to cook, but have never heard of those two ingredients!JohnH Ken Hulme said:
folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
Well to cool the throat from the heat that Ken is bringing, I'll bring a creamy dessert with a layer of raspberries mixed in jello, whipped cream, and more raspberries in jello on top. Oh, I forgot the bottom of the pan is covered with tea biscuits and those are stacked through the dish and form a top crust. Each slice is topped with more whipped cream. Can you ever get too much whipped cream? This dish is also good with a pumpkin mousse type of filling.
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
14 years ago
2,124 posts
Bill Lewis
Bill Lewis
@bill-lewis
14 years ago
48 posts
Growing by leaps and bounds. Who would of thought. Greatful to be a part of it. :)
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
14 years ago
258 posts
Just got to be some bread puddingIJohnH
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
14 years ago
1,084 posts
I think I might have some dandelion wine around here to add to party.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,253 posts
I think Dana should wring a couple of chicken necks! ;D

--
Site Owner

Stephanie Stuckwisch
Stephanie Stuckwisch
@stephanie-stuckwisch
14 years ago
45 posts
I'll bring my apple spice cake....and 700 candles.
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
14 years ago
1,426 posts
I don't know what to fix for the potluck. We should have the hootenanny outdoors, though-- was about 80 degrees here today!PS-I went hunting for morels today and came up empty. :( If I had a mess of them. . .
Rod Westerfield
Rod Westerfield
@rod-westerfield
14 years ago
109 posts
cool I'm ready... was for supper Grandpa.... lol
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,253 posts
Coming up soon....FOTMD will reach 700 members.... :D

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 08/03/23 02:34:24PM