The Positive Thread...

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,255 posts

No real need for a poll if everyone thinks that's a good plan, Dusty.

Does anyone have other options they'd like to see considered?

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

sun @dusty-turtle, I like it!flower  

updated by @robin-thompson: 02/22/22 08:19:04AM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,729 posts

OK, folks. I think this conversation has wound down. Perhaps it's time for a vote.  Before we go there, how 'bout this:

International Appalachian Dulcimer Day: the last Saturday in March 

What think ye?  If there are serious objections, we can isolate some variables and have Strumelia set up a poll. But I wonder if we might reach a consensus.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 02/22/22 01:36:22AM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

Friends, I hope I haven't shut-down conversation about an Appalachian Dulcimer day of celebration!  

I think of the roots of the Appalachian dulcimer and how folks used the instrument-- at home or church or another community event of some kind.  Since we're not near any clubs, jams, gatherings, etc., pretty much all we do with making music here at our house stays home or close to home.  Whether there is something "organized" or the event is more of a grassroots/several shoots sort of thing for an International Appalachian Dulcimer Day, I plan to celebrate our dear little instrument on a given day.      

It's pretty cool how @dusty-turtle came to raise the idea of a day of celebration!   

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

I plan to let my Facebook friends know a name and day to celebrate ahead of time and invite/encourage any who play Appalachian dulcimer to mark the day some way-- a still photo, a video, an audio, artwork featuring our loved instrument, etc., and just see what happens.  

updated by @robin-thompson: 02/18/22 04:16:42PM
steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

Should there be a group or team of people to plan and write the news releases for The International Appalachian Dulcimer Day?  Making sure that we cross a few T’s and at least dot an “i” or two.  Otherwise, we might of just of had a nice discussion but we could easily just forget to follow through.  That is if you all feel strong enough about this.  

updated by @steve-c: 02/18/22 03:31:46PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

Oh, I understood, @ken-longfield -- many of us who were teenagers long ago understand joking about teenagers.  

updated by @robin-thompson: 02/18/22 04:16:07PM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,090 posts

I hope I'm not giving the wrong impression. I spent 40 years working with teenagers and enjoy them. I was being facetious in my first post about our teenage years here on FOTMD.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

I'm thinking about making a video for our day of celebration of the Appalachian dulcimer.  Springtime will soon be upon us. time

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

@ken-longfield I know the teenage years can be difficult, at times, for all yet there'll be a lot of fun times, too.  Young people give me hope!  

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,090 posts

For sure Robin. My oldest grandson just turned 13 last week. Hence my comment.

Ken

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

Ken Longfield:

Oh, no! Another teenager.

Ken

Oh, yes! hamster

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,090 posts

Oh, no! Another teenager.

Ken

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

I love cake! cake   And I remember when FOTMD was just a baby. babycrawl

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
2 years ago
234 posts

So July 29 will be FOTMD day around the world, Cake and goodies and lots of dulcimer music. Is it here yet?

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,729 posts

Coincidentally, @lisa-golladay, I recently asked Strumelia that very question.  FOTMD first went live on July 29, 2009.  So this summer will be lucky 13 years!

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Lisa Golladay
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
2 years ago
108 posts

We can make as many holidays as we want joyjoy

While we iron out the details of International Day of the Appalachian Dulcimer, let's start another celebration while we're at it. When did the FOTMD site go live?

I propose we celebrate FOTMD's Birthday! Cake for everybody!!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

steve c.:

I think I’m over thinking all of this…lol..maybe I am thinking on a festival mentality and not thinking of just a day to say Hooray for our Dulcimer!

I like your suggestion, Steve, when you wrote, "So we can skip the formal recognition if you all like and just promote the weekend ourselves."  

Also, it is still important to me that folks from all over are part of this day of celebration just as folks from all over are part of FOTMD.  

updated by @robin-thompson: 02/16/22 07:59:50PM
steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

Just checked and we cannot register a national day by designating a “last weekend.” It has to be a date for it to be a “day.”  So we can skip the formal recognition if you all like and just promote the weekend ourselves.  But we could see someone down the road establish a date as “Mountain Dulcimer Day” or something similar.  But if we do a really good job of promoting our day we can diminish the possibility of that happening.  The more we circulate this among all dulcimer circles, the better.  What would you say as to the criteria for the weekend?  Would we go with the beginning of the festival season?  

updated by @steve-c: 02/16/22 07:48:07PM
steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

I’ll check to see if we can schedule something like the last Saturday of March and register it on the national calendar.

Leo Kretzner
Leo Kretzner
@leo-kretzner
2 years ago
36 posts

As to name, I do not feel strongly about 'American dulcimer,' and Strumelia is correct that it's really too broad. I'm good with either 'mountain' or 'Appalachian' (regardless of pronunciation, lol). I think the terms 'lap' and 'fretted,' while accurate, are dry and descriptive, while 'mountain' and 'Appalachian' are evocative and descriptive.

I was feeling enthusiastic about MD and the banjo being the only two instruments indigenous to the US. I was also thinking of the large contingent of folks playing the 'Persian dulcimer' (lol) who might be inclined to say "Hey what about us?" so we need to be specific - and it seems like folks were thinking that way anyway.

Even so, many clubs and the Dulcimer Players News itself include both dulcimers, and I can well imagine some hammer-folks saying "Hey it should be about both dulcimers!" So, at least some of us will have to answer not just the question of 'why-that-date?' but also 'why-weren't-we-included?' To that, the native roots of our dulcimer seems a diplomatic and compelling comment. More compelling than "because the idea started on FotMD"!  More diplomatic than "b/c you drown us out," lol.

Now, as to date: Speaking to Dusty's concern, it often happens that 'celebrations' for an important date are moved to the closest weekend. So there's always the possibility of a set date falling where it might, but the subsequent weekend being the time for a local festival or jam or a special Zoom thing or etc. [Note this raises the separate question of what exactly to do to mark it. I say best to leave that to local communities and whatever folks want to make of it. But that thought argues for something in nice weather - versus, say, Dec 12, which I otherwise like.]

As for timing it to something less specific/more general - eg, first Saturday of Spring - I think that's still easy enough to remember, and let's look at the specifics:  First, 'vernal equinox' = spring equinox = first day of spring, and it is virtually always on March 20, 21, or 22 (Farmer's Almanac, almanac.com). This year it's Sunday, 3/20, and MD-Day would be the next Saturday, March 26. Similarly, it's usually going to be the last Saturday of March - another easy way to remember it 'roughly' and then be able to look up. Next year, 2023 (a possible 'first annual'), it would be Saturday, March 25.

Did you know that April 8 is National Banjo Day?? Rather nice that it would be close!

Oh, but would we have some other competition in late March?? Well, surprise or not, yes - but not significant: 3/26 is National Nougat and National Spinach Day. March 26 is National Lobster Newburg Day, Natl Medal of Honor Day, Natl Tolkien Reading Day and Natl Manatee Appreciation Day.  So we can celebrate by taking a manatee out for lobster Newburg...

Somehow I think we're okay with regard to that!! And obviously there are National Days for almost anything, so it's high time we get one for the mountain dulcimer!! 

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

I know I'm looking forward to the inaugural IADD! dulcimer1

marg
@marg
2 years ago
616 posts

WOW, I'm impressed with all the responses. Good luck with the end result. 

steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

I think I’m over thinking all of this…lol..maybe I am thinking on a festival mentality and not thinking of just a day to say Hooray for our Dulcimer!

Skip
Skip
@skip
2 years ago
359 posts

@richard-streib yes   Any date that is usually mild in both hemispheres.

Length of day/night [equinox] is irrelevant and is assuming everyone can, or will, take time figure out the right date. It's easy to mark a consistent date, or day, on a calendar. 

I'm really the right one to talk about dates [sarcastic],  I usually remember about an event the next day or forget about them entirely. confusey  

How about the last Saturday in March? It's not a normal work day and is early spring.

updated by @skip: 02/16/22 11:40:09AM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,729 posts

As someone who has many years of labor ahead before retirement, I would suggest that were we to pick a specific date, I would not be able to do anything special for International Dulcimer Day most years since I will be working.  That's why you won't see me at Kentucky Music Week or any of the fine dulcimer events that complain about not attracting younger people but still schedule themselves during the work week.   And if we choose a specific date, the question will always arise about why that date was chosen, which brings us full circle to the beginning of this conversation when a few of us suggested Jean's birthday.  It will be pretty lame if we have a date and no explanation for it. 

I think it important that we choose a Saturday.  If the first Saturday of spring seems too confusing to people (seriously?), then we should just choose perhaps the second (or third or first or fourth) Saturday of a particular month.  I suggested the spring because it is a celebratory time of year and marks the beginning of the festival season.  And unless you give up music for lent, I don't know why Dulcimer Day would conflict with that 6-week period of time. Maybe I'm missing something.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 02/16/22 11:24:53AM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,090 posts

The vernal equinox can occur on March 19, 20, or 21. The last possible day for the celebration of Easter is April 25. Any date we pick before April 25 will put International Appalachian Dulcimer Day during the Christian season of Lent occasionally. While I don't think this should deter us, it is just something of which we should be aware. Am I understanding correctly that it should be a specific day rather than the last Saturday in March or the second Saturday in April?

Ken

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

I think setting a day tied to Spring equinox would have folks looking at their calendars and planning.  Think about Easter, for example.

PS-Our friends in the southern hemisphere would, of course, be celebrating autumnal equinox.   

updated by @robin-thompson: 02/16/22 11:17:05AM
steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

A vernal equinox is a cool idea but cannot be set up as an official calendar date.  It will be hard to get it recognized as “a special day.”  I think folks in the dulcimer world might prefer to say, “We celebrate International Appalachian Dulcimer Day on March 20th!” As opposed to “ We celebrate International Appalachian Dulcimer Day on the Vernal Equinox!”  Really? Just when will that be next year?  Crickets… 

Dan
Dan
@dan
2 years ago
185 posts

...second Saturday in April......

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

Here in our old coal mining village life moves pretty slow.  And being a bit of an old-fashioned girl (now old lady), I love the idea of tying the event to the vernal equinox! flower  

steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

I do like Dusty’s idea of a Spring date, but I also agree with Richard on a set day.  But think of this…Aaron Copeland’s great masterpiece Appalachian Spring was based on the Shaker tune Simple Gifts..played by many dulcimer players around the world.  To me it speaks to what the Appalachian dulcimer is all about.  The dulcimer is a simple gift, easy to play and yet whether you play traditional noter drone or fancy finger picking with chords..the instrument just sounds wonderful!  I never thought of it but our beloved dulcimer is just that, a gift.

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
2 years ago
234 posts

Dusty Turtle:

So it's agreed then: International Hog Fiddle Day will be celebrated the second Saturday after the first Monday after the first full moon after the summer solstice.

Robin Thompson: @dusty-turtle is who got this conversation on a designated dulcimer day started. I'm curious about what are his thoughts now? sun

Seriously, I love how much enthusiasm this topic has generated.  It was just a thought I had when I read about National Guitar Day, but clearly the idea resonates with a lot of us.

Some of what we are debating I don't believe to be too important.  Why is Black History Month in February?  Well, it used to be Black History Week and it was dated to the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass.  But choosing the date based on those two individuals did not somehow rob the designation of the ability to celebrate Ida B. Wells or Martin Luther King.  Similarly, were we to choose Jean Ritchie's 100th birthday as the first Dulcimer Day, it would not rob us of our ability to celebrate Uncle Ed Thomas or Loraine Wyman on that day.

Nonetheless, in the interests of not alienating any of the fine members here, I have another suggestion for the day: How about the first Saturday after the spring equinox?  It would mark the beginning of the dulcimer festival season but would not be tied to any specific date or any specific individual.  Any thoughts?

When Pritchard marketed his "American dulcimer" he was clearly trying to take advantage of the nationalist fever that dominated the golden age of folklore (1870 or thereabouts to 1914).  But I agree with those who think that name strips away the regional roots of the instrument.  "Mountain dulcimer" does indeed seem to be the most commonly used term for our beloved instrument, but I would be OK with either "Mountain" or "Appalachian" dulcimer.  The Wikipedia entry uses "Appalachian" dulcimer, and that alone might be a reason to choose that term.

So my new proposal: International Appalachian Dulcimer Day, the first Saturday after the spring equinox.

Great discussion with lots of interest. This sounds great. But would it be simpler for old minds like mine to remember if it were 3rd Saturday in March (for instance) rather than tying it to a date that varies from year to year?

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

@dusty-turtle I asked.  And think what you've presented is splendid! dulcimer  

updated by @robin-thompson: 02/16/22 06:51:53AM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,729 posts

So it's agreed then: International Hog Fiddle Day will be celebrated the second Saturday after the first Monday after the first full moon after the summer solstice.

Robin Thompson: @dusty-turtle is who got this conversation on a designated dulcimer day started. I'm curious about what are his thoughts now? sun

Seriously, I love how much enthusiasm this topic has generated.  It was just a thought I had when I read about National Guitar Day, but clearly the idea resonates with a lot of us.

Some of what we are debating I don't believe to be too important.  Why is Black History Month in February?  Well, it used to be Black History Week and it was dated to the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass.  But choosing the date based on those two individuals did not somehow rob the designation of the ability to celebrate Ida B. Wells or Martin Luther King.  Similarly, were we to choose Jean Ritchie's 100th birthday as the first Dulcimer Day, it would not rob us of our ability to celebrate Uncle Ed Thomas or Loraine Wyman on that day.

Nonetheless, in the interests of not alienating any of the fine members here, I have another suggestion for the day: How about the first Saturday after the spring equinox?  It would mark the beginning of the dulcimer festival season but would not be tied to any specific date or any specific individual.  Any thoughts?

When Pritchard marketed his "American dulcimer" he was clearly trying to take advantage of the nationalist fever that dominated the golden age of folklore (1870 or thereabouts to 1914).  But I agree with those who think that name strips away the regional roots of the instrument.  "Mountain dulcimer" does indeed seem to be the most commonly used term for our beloved instrument, but I would be OK with either "Mountain" or "Appalachian" dulcimer.  The Wikipedia entry uses "Appalachian" dulcimer, and that alone might be a reason to choose that term.

So my new proposal: International Appalachian Dulcimer Day, the first Saturday after the spring equinox.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 02/16/22 02:16:06AM
Skip
Skip
@skip
2 years ago
359 posts

This could whole thing could result into some really interesting posts.

"I'm going to a Dulcimer Fest on ADD [Appalachian Dulcimer Day]. I'm taking a class from a instructor who wants everyone to bring a CAD [Chromatic Appalachian Dulcimer]. He says he uses a LD [Lap Dulcimer] with all the frets. I'm going to bring my  matching MD [CMD] and a friend is going take their AD and tape on some toothpicks".duck  

updated by @skip: 02/15/22 08:23:26PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,255 posts

I never hear people saying "MD" or "HD" when they are talking. Only when they're writing. Because in written discussions it's a pain to type it all out over and over in every other sentence. It's way faster to SAY those names than it is to type them.

--
Site Owner

Skip
Skip
@skip
2 years ago
359 posts

When I was introdued to the instrument, it was 'Mountain Dulcimer'. I still think of it that way [or MD]. The other names came later, in some cases, much later. Bill will always be be Bill, not William.

I kind of feel there is too much overthinking going on. Much of the time it is called an MD, or Dulcime[o]r on this site. On the old ED, MD, or Mountain Dulcimer vs HD, or Hammered Dulcimer. I think most general references in news articles, Mountain Dulcimer is most commonly used [probably wrong, butwhistle ].

If we commonly refer to it as a MD or Mountain Dulcimer internally [ FOTMD], why use a different name for a special day in it's honor?

updated by @skip: 02/15/22 05:33:26PM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,090 posts

I, too, after careful consideration of all arguments (including my own) feel that we should use the name "Appalachian dulcimer" and realize that we will continue the ongoing controversy of how "Appalachian" should be pronounced. For the past forty years I have lived in area of Pennsylvania that is part of Appalachia and here we pronounce it differently from my friends in the southern part of the region.

Ken

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

Though I wasn't born in Appalachia, I have spent most of my adult life in Appalachia.  So, I may have an unconscious bias. oma  

An International Appalachian Dulcimer Day acknowledges both the origin and type of instrument and celebrates its appeal to folks around the globe.  

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
2 years ago
234 posts

A most interesting discussion indeed with thoughtful input. How exciting.

Whatever date, I like the idea of International Appalachian Dulcimer Day.

A recognition day will give us all an opportunity to promote the dulcimer in many different ways, whether its origins, its history, its music and on and on we could go. There are enough topics that we could celebrate more than 10 years before repeating a point of emphasis if we chose to do so.

steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

Good thoughts Stumelia! I think myself Appalachian refers best to the region of its development and initial usage.  Though most have moved away from this name to Mountain dulcimer.  But if we want to give a nod to its history International Appalachian Dulcimer Day might worth considering.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,255 posts

Jean Ritchie wrote the Forward for L.Allen Smith's 1983 book A Catalogue of Pre-Revival Appalachian Dulcimers.

Here is what she said concerning the name of our beloved instrument, and the part she herself played in the evolution of that name starting from the 1940s:

IMG_0266.JPG

Consider that it was not until at least the middle of the 20th century that there were any mountain dulcimers brought to the entire western half of the US (more than a century after the dedicated work of early Appalachian dulcimer makers such as Thomas, Singleton, Prichard, etc), and consider also that there are many other other countries in south and central America, not to mention all of Canada.

But my main point is that i would be sad to see the reference to the region of origin where our instrument was first created stripped away from its name, replaced by a broader label based on our whole nation rather than a region. It would feel to me like removing a connection to the unique culture specific to that region. That's why I am fond of the names 'mountain dulcimer', Appalachian dulcimer', or even 'lap dulcimer' or 'dulcimore'... those names still connect with and honor the region and culture that created the instrument. Just my two cents.

--
Site Owner

steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

Robin, We can make it International Mountain Dulcimer Day.  By doing this we can give a shout out in the news releases to its European ancestors.

updated by @steve-c: 02/15/22 11:55:51AM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

My greatest interest is in worldwide participation in the day from as many Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer as possible.  

steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

Ok Stumelia suggested a poll to get some sort of consensus.  If we can agree on a date and a title for the day: National (Mountain, American, etc.,) Day, I can register it and will take care of the fees, if any, and we can begin promotional press releases.  I have looked and no such day exists in the archives so we can get this done.  I’m not rushing this just letting you know the processs.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

@dusty-turtle is who got this conversation on a designated dulcimer day started.  I'm curious about what are his thoughts now? sun

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
2 years ago
207 posts

I'm with you on that one Ken.  After working through all the posts, re-reading Ralph L. Smith and the history of Scotch Irish Music there are so many contributors that it really boggles the mind, let alone giving consideration to different types of Mountain dulcimer fret patterns, and unique tunings popular in different parts of the country.  The idea of setting aside a day to honor all the musicians and the instruments they played is great and will certainly not  take away from Jean, who I believe was the most important of many players. She pretty much kept the mountain ballads in the forefront.  I especially remember her songs mourning the devastation of the mountain tops and the beauty that was lost to some types of mining.  So I think that a day to honor the "American Dulcimer" and as she might have put it, "The Sweet Sound in the Wind"  could be all encompassing.  Heaven knows we don't want to get into all that stuff about Noter and drone vs. Chording or whatever....amplified or electronically modified etc., it's all part of the instruments history and there is place for it all.

updated by @salt-springs: 02/14/22 10:43:21PM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,090 posts

Charles N. Prichard marketed his instruments as "The American Dulcimer." Just look at the label he used. I call the presentation I do on dulcimer history "The History of the American Dulcimer." So, I'm fine with Leo's suggestion. As to the use of American as an identifier for the day, I think we were talking about a national dulcimer day and the United States of American is usually shorted to just America. I'm enjoying this conversation.

Ken

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

It's good to clarify to which instrument we are referring!  As far as using geography to specify which instrument we mean, America alone isn't, to my mind, specific.  There's North America, Central America, South America-- the Americas.  

steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

Leo Kretzner:

Just a comment on my comment: I don't want to complicate things by introducing yet another name for 'our' dulcimer! Maybe it's a separate topic...?  As I said, I'm fine with 'mountain dulcimer.'  My main point was to specify which dulcimer it is... IF any hammered dulcimer players are disgruntled over not being included, we would point to the fact the mtn dulcimer is one of only two instruments unique to the US, that it's an American dulcimer.

Good point Leo!  I think the instruments are from such different origins that most will understand.  But certainly, we need to clarify which dulcimer we mean.

Leo Kretzner
Leo Kretzner
@leo-kretzner
2 years ago
36 posts

Just a comment on my comment: I don't want to complicate things by introducing yet another name for 'our' dulcimer! Maybe it's a separate topic...?  As I said, I'm fine with 'mountain dulcimer.'  My main point was to specify which dulcimer it is... IF any hammered dulcimer players are disgruntled over not being included, we would point to the fact the mtn dulcimer is one of only two instruments unique to the US, that it's an American dulcimer.

Leo Kretzner
Leo Kretzner
@leo-kretzner
2 years ago
36 posts

Wow, what a compelling topic, and many good arguments for various dates!! 

I want to raise the point (if it hasn't been already) that whatever the date, to call it just 'National Dulcimer Day' would imply that it's for both types of dulcimer. If that's the case, then input from HD people would be appropriate, but I fear that would really complicate things.

If it is to be strictly for the fretted/ lap/ mountain/ Appalachian dulcimer, then one of those specifiers needs to be in the title! Eg, National Mountain Dulcimer Day.  (I usually say 'mountain' if only because of the imagery, and it also nods to the Appalachians.)

Further, since it is one of only two instruments unique to the US, I think we ought to start calling it The American Dulcimer, and try to dispense with the over-abundance of alternate names! Not to discount the historical role of people living in the Appalachians, but to emphasize that what used to be an almost-unheard-of regional instrument is now found all over the country and even the world. 

Visions of a mountain dulcimer power trio or quartet singing Grand Funk Railroad's "We're An American Band" leap to mind!

As to actual dates, December 8 is appealing, but I feel totally flexible about this; one of the summer dates would also be okay.

In any case, the pictures used by Wikipedia obviously need to be changed. That's a separate issue...

Overall, this is a great idea!!  

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

Loraine Wyman's story is a compelling one!  One of the glories of an International/Worldwide/National/whatever Mountain/Appalachian Dulcimer Day is we will never run short of compelling stories to share. flower

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
2 years ago
207 posts

Let's not forget Loraine Wyman who is considered by some to be the first one to start the Urban Folk music revival after collecting Kentucky and vicinity mountain music.  There is a photo on Wiki showing her on the cover of Vogue Magazine holding a Thomas Dulcimer in 1917.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loraine_Wyman

steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

You can learn to edit images for Wikipedia, but you must register to do so and learn their basic tools for editing.  For images they must be free to upload, most images are not, but certainly one could easily create a free image of an American Dulcimore to use.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
2 years ago
389 posts

Amen, sisters!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,255 posts

@irene - I too find it highly annoying that wikipedia has accepted photos of BOTH the 'American' instruments that show instruments made in other countries instead. The dulcimer pictured is a Roosebec (made in the middle east) and the banjo pictured is a very cheap 1960s pot metal tenor banjo made in Germany. How utterly lame is this?? The irony is astounding, considering it is the very point of the whole list.  

--
Site Owner

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

We have members from around the globe here at FOTMD so my thinking goes to an international/worldwide day.  And maybe it's because of where I live, my thinking went to a less formal way of establishing a day to celebrate mountain dulcimer-- we pick a date to highlight the Appalachian dulcimer and its spread and the celebration itself makes it 'official'.  We can do just like many do with worldwide Play Music on the Porch Day-- folks post videos of the various ways they celebrate the day.  Some celebrations are individual, some are group.    

steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

Here is a site for establishing a National Day.  It requires an application from an organization and you have options if you want them to promote it.  I don’t know how solid they are but will check them out..

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/register-a-national-day/

steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

By the way..SEO is Search Engine Optimization work.  There are specialist who can make your site come up when ever anyone searches for dulcimer.

steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

Here are suggestions (I looked this up) for creating a National day:

How to Create a Special Day:

Anyone can create a special day. The tough job, is to gain recognition. Here are some tips for getting your special day created and recognized:

• Create the name for your special day.

• If you are going to make a "National" day, see National Days Definition below.

• Define what the day is all about, why it is created, and what people should do to observe the day.

• Assign a date that it is to be celebrated. It could be a fixed date, or vary. If it varies, make sure it is well defined.

• Identify the creator(s) and the date it was created. The date created is sometimes different than from the dated celebrated.

• Using all of the information and definitions from the above steps,  create a website for your special day.

• The URL should be the title of the day, if possible.

• Add relevant pictures to the website.

• Now comes the hard part... getting your new special day and the website recognized.

• We recommend SEO work.

• Also, email existing holiday calendar websites, announcing your special day, and provide the link to your website.  

National Days Definition:

Of particular note is the growth of "National Days". The word "National" is being added to an overwhelmingly large number of proposed and recently created days. The word "National" has even been added by some holiday calendar websites for special days that were not created as a "National" day! This causes confusion as to the whether or not, a special days is in actuality a national day. 

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
2 years ago
167 posts

FABULOUS POSITIVE THREAD THIS ONE.  I loved the list of instruments of countries and surely not all countries are listed.   I do wish someone would have gotten an AMERICAN made instrument for the picture not one made in another country though. aloha, irene

steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

Interesting link listing national instruments of each country, the United States is listed with two entries the Appalachian dulcimer and the banjo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_instruments_(music)

Skip
Skip
@skip
2 years ago
359 posts

Although it would probably be nicer to have it sometime during the late spring to early fall.whistle

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

I offer my birthday as a good day-- I love mountain dulcimer. heart   grphug  

Skip
Skip
@skip
2 years ago
359 posts

No on the tunings, yep on random, just pick any day, the 3rd friday of any month, 2nd blue moon, or any other random day. Don't bother trying to make some kind of association with the dulcimer, that's not relevant.

updated by @skip: 02/12/22 08:00:56PM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,090 posts

I like that idea Skip. Perhaps the 155th day for 1 - 5 - 5 tuning or the 158th for 1 - 5 - 8 tuning. Or we could choose another tuning; DAC, DAG, etc. Another could the number of letters in Appalachian dulcimer or mountain dulcimer either side by side or added together. And to go really random, put number 1 - 365 in your hat and draw one. That's really what you suggested.

Ken

Skip
Skip
@skip
2 years ago
359 posts

I feel associating  a particular date with a primary purpose of celabrating the overall appreciation of the MD is kind of restrictive. Almost all of the posts refer to subsets of the main subject, the MD. Just picking a random date  [the 164 day of the year] and calling it 'Dulcimer Appreciation Day' or something makes more overall sense. Then all of the things expressed are valid subjects for inclusion.

updated by @skip: 02/12/22 07:39:26PM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,090 posts

Ah, yes, thank you for that correction. I forgot all about the confusion over Uncle Ed's birthday.

Ken

Dan
Dan
@dan
2 years ago
185 posts

Ken Longfield:

Not to detract from Jean's fame as a popularizer of the dulcimer, I suggest March 19 as that is the birthdate of James Edward (Uncle Ed) Thomas who built the early hourglass style mountain dulcimer. Didn't Jean's father play one of Thomas's dulcimers?

Ken

I agree wholeheartedly, but "our" James Edward Thomas wasn't born on March 19, his cousin was......the only documentation is the 1900 census that has it in April. Now if we could figure out what day......

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

It seems using Jean Ritchie's birthdate is, simply, a way to choose a date for a broader celebration of the Appalachian dulcimer.  To me, the idea being to begin with Jean as a point of departure by which to explore the instrument which took root in the mountains long before she was born, continues to the present, and is played in many countries around the world.       

updated by @robin-thompson: 02/12/22 07:07:11PM
steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

I appreciate all that has been said, but if too much emphasis is put on Jean and the Kentucky dulcimer we may, unintentionally, leave out the Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee and Ohio players and their respective historical collections.  Virginia has the oldest dulcimers and possibly is the place of origin for the dulcimer as we know it.  Not to mention players in other regions.  I feel that if it’s going to be a Dulcimer Day it should be about the Dulcimer.  I still think Jean Ritchie needs and deserves her own day and there is no reason that there cannot be both a day to celebrate her and her legacy and a day that celebrates our beloved instrument.  

updated by @steve-c: 02/12/22 05:46:37PM
Skip
Skip
@skip
2 years ago
359 posts

'Jean Ritchie Day'.

updated by @skip: 02/12/22 03:52:59PM

/ 5