The Positive Thread...

Lisa Golladay
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
2 years ago
108 posts

If the purpose of Dulcimer Day is to introduce more people to the dulcimer, I vote for December 8 to commemorate Jean Ritchie's birthday. Here's why:

It's true December is a busy time that doesn't need more holidays. However, the dulcimer fits nicely into a lot of existing events that involve music and history. It's easy to get the general public interested in an evening of Christmas carols and folk music at this time of year.  December 8 is early enough that most schools, clubs, community centers and park districts are still open, while special holiday events are always looking for music.

Jean Ritchie's life story connects us to the entire history of the dulcimer. From her family's musical roots in the 19th Century... to the folk revival... to the many people she inspired who make music today. She has gifted us with a story that explains the dulcimer in a way that is far more compelling than reciting the history of wooden boxes with strings. You could mention her in a few brief sentences or build the entire presentation around her, but either way you have a great starting point.

Jean is not well-known to the general public, but folk musicians know her. This could open the doors to music venues that otherwise don't often (or ever) feature dulcimers.

Let's face it, it's hard for a modern audience to feel a connection to anyone who died 100 years ago and didn't leave behind any video or audio recordings. The history can come later, but first we have to get people to listen. I don't want to make Dulcimer Day primarily about Kentucky, or the 19th Century, or our Scots-Irish ancestors way up in the hollows. That excludes so many people! Jean's music came from those roots, and then she brought the dulcimer to New York City and gave it to everybody. We can honor her roots and her courage to welcome all people, everywhere, to the music she loved. 

Thinking of school presentations, Jean was a kind mentor and humanitarian who makes a wonderful role model. I would close by leading the kids in singing Jean's Peace Round. What could be better?

Or else, you know, talk me into something else :-)

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

@lisa-golladay sun

Lisa Golladay
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
2 years ago
108 posts

Let me put on my marketing consultant hat (ow! ow! I thought I retired from this!) You can take this with as many grains of salt as you want but here goes:

1. You can declare any date a "holiday" on social media. The date does not need any significance. However, having a reason why this date was chosen makes a convenient hook for starting the conversation and getting peoples' attention.

2. You can almost certainly convince a member of Congress to introduce a resolution declaring anything an official national holiday, and it will be approved as routine. A representative from Kentucky would be an obvious person to ask.

3. Pick a date that works for your objectives. Are you looking for a good date to hold a festival (summer or early fall)? A date for scholars to argue about (the first documented dulcimer build)? Do you want to trigger an immediate deep dive into history (Ed Thomas)? Or introduce dulcimers to schoolchildren and community groups in a way that's not too intimidating and feels relevant?

4. Birthdays make people feel good. Nobody celebrates the day somebody died unless it's the Wicked Witch of the East. Whom nobody remembers.

5. Piggybacking an established related event, like Music on The Porch Day, will gain you no visibility. Somebody playing dulcimer on a day when lots of people are playing lots of other instruments will not make the dulcimer stand out.

6. Stepping into a season crowded with other holidays will gain you no visibility -- unless you can incorporate your event into other events that would otherwise not have dulcimers. This is leveraging our synergies -- or synergizing our leverage, depending on the preferred buzzword of the moment. Like I said, marketing.

That's my consulting advice, since consultants never tell you what to do, they only spout generalities and ask questions!  Now returning to my preferred persona as a civilian member of FOTMD, I will write a post about why December 8 is a perfect date for Dulcimer Day.

Skip
Skip
@skip
2 years ago
359 posts

Why tie it to some specific dulcimer event which could be the name anyway? Like 'Jean Ritchie Day' or 'Kentucky Dulcimer Day', etc.

The 'why' the day was selected is irrevelant, just as long as a day is identified and observed consistently.

I suggest the same day as 'play music on the front porch day'. 

updated by @skip: 02/12/22 12:57:22PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,255 posts

so, what if next year they find another old dulcimer with an authentic earlier date?

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Skip
Skip
@skip
2 years ago
359 posts

Aug 1 is 'Uncommon instrument Awarement Day'. dulcimer

updated by @skip: 02/12/22 12:39:19PM
Ballad Gal
Ballad Gal
@ballad-gal
2 years ago
34 posts

I'll go with the 1st authenticated build date of August 28th.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,090 posts

Another possible date would be June 21, the date the mountain dulcimer became the official state instrument of Kentucky.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,090 posts

I would rather see August 28 as National Dulcimer Day especially because I would rather see December 8 as Jean's birthday and not overshadowing or overshadowed by another celebration. Although Jean exposed many people to the mountain dulcimer she was so much more than that. She was a promoter of the Ritchie family and southern Appalachian songs as well.  I really think we would do a disservice to her by tying her memory only to the dulcimer.

Ken

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

If Jean's birthday were chosen, her beautiful Wintergrace and the wonderful Ritchie family Christmas movie Dave Garraway introduces could be part of the highlights.  I also submit that it could be an International/Worldwide Appalachian Dulcimer Day we celebrate-- acknowledging both the spread of the instrument's popularity and the region from which it sprang.  Just a couple thoughts.      

updated by @robin-thompson: 02/12/22 08:41:17AM
steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

I love the idea of Jean’s birthday, but my concern is that puts the day in the midst of the holiday season and it might get lost in all the events going on at that time.  If we wanted to schedule a big event for that day it might be challenging with everyone’s holiday plans.  But, I agree that Jean is certainly the most influential leader of the dulcimer world.  I still play her records every week and sing her songs.

here is another thought, Jean died on June 1, 2015, that would put the celebration in the midst of dulcimer festival season…might be easier for events…just thinking out loud…

updated by @steve-c: 02/12/22 08:09:48AM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,729 posts

Folks, if we decided on Jean's birthday, the first National Mountain Dulcimer Day would fall exactly on the 100th anniversary of her birth.  That's too cool a coincidence to ignore.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
2,126 posts

Another vote here for Dec 8.  I understand the significance of the earliest dulcemore, and Uncle Ed; but IMHO Jean did so much for the dulcimer across the country and across the world...  

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,255 posts

Well, if you want a poll, then please gather here the suggested dates and reasons for them- once i create the poll I can't change the items or add to them. Discuss this for a bit if you would and somebody make a post to organize the options... then in a day or two I can create/activate the poll from those various choices. Now's the time to make suggestions to add to the choices.

--
Site Owner

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
2 years ago
188 posts

Perfect!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,255 posts

If you guys wanted, I could create a Poll here on fotmd to see the number of votes for each suggested date...?

--
Site Owner

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

I get the reasons behind the March and the August suggestions.  For me, though, Jean Ritchie's birthday is THE day.  She did so much to introduce the mountain dulcimer to populations of people wholly unfamiliar with the instrument.  

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,090 posts

I like Steve's idea even better. Since it is two days from our wedding anniversary I might remember it. So, Dusty, are you volunteering to set up the Wikipedia entry"

Ken

steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

Of course we could consider the earliest authenticated dulcimer with a date of….drum roll please…John Scales, Jr. August 28, 1832 which could also coincide with play your dulcimer on front porch day…which that dulcimer will be 190 years old this summer.  In ten years it will be two hundred years old..big celebration..

updated by @steve-c: 02/11/22 05:37:41PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,729 posts

I wasn't trying to start a debate about dates. Every day is dulcimer day in my life. jive

I do wonder how those "national" days get formalized.  I bet if we just decided on a day and then created a Wikipedia entry on National Dulcimer Day, it would become a thing.  We could encourage instructors and luthiers to offer discounts.  Maybe Quarantune could organize a concert on that day. Who knows?

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
2 years ago
252 posts

Either date sounds good to me. Actually sounds as good as a dulcimer...Robert 

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
2 years ago
389 posts

I agree with Ken.  I like Thomas' birthday of March 19 (1850).

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,090 posts

Not to detract from Jean's fame as a popularizer of the dulcimer, I suggest March 19 as that is the birthdate of James Edward (Uncle Ed) Thomas who built the early hourglass style mountain dulcimer. Didn't Jean's father play one of Thomas's dulcimers?

Ken

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,729 posts

That's exactly what I was thinking, @steve-c

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 02/11/22 10:37:12AM
steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
2 years ago
66 posts

Dusty Turtle:

February 11 is National Guitar Day. When is National Dulcimer Day?  I vote for December 8. Anyone know why?

Jean Ritchie was born on December 8, 1922….is a possibility. Is that what you were thinking?

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,729 posts

February 11 is National Guitar Day. When is National Dulcimer Day?  I vote for December 8. Anyone know why?

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,729 posts

This red fox positively loves clawhammer banjo music:

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
3 years ago
66 posts

Hope you all had a happy thanksgiving!  

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,429 posts

Thank you, FOTMD folks, for the music and your friendship!  

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,729 posts

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I am so grateful that I have mountain dulcimers, mountain dulcimer music, and friends of the mountain dulcimer in my life. grphug

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
dulcinina
@dulcinina
3 years ago
87 posts

Wishing you all a peaceful and Happy Thanksgiving. Nina

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,090 posts

Happy Thanksgiving. Among my many blessings is all my dulcimer friends here. at FOTMD and TTAD. Enjoy the day everyone.

Ken

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,255 posts

Well said John and Richard.

Grateful for the good things in my life. Hugs to all my FOTMD friends. love

--
Site Owner

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
3 years ago
234 posts

Happy Thanksgiving all. May we all be sure to reflect on all of our many blessings and truly be thankful from a grateful heart.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
3 years ago
389 posts

Have a very happy and meaningful Thanksgiving Day everyone!  Time to count our blessings.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,729 posts

A beautiful fall day.  Sunshine. Crisp wind.  It was a joy to spend a few hours raking leaves.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
3 years ago
68 posts

Ken Longfield:

Here is some more dulcimer good news: https://stonecountyleader.com/stories/dulcimer-reclaimed-after-50plus-years,4160

Ken

Wow!,,  this story sure did make me smile!  Thank you for sharing Ken!

Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
3 years ago
68 posts

Dusty Turtle:

I put new strings on the Guild 6-string last night, all in preparation for today's Pick - N - Jam, an annual party in which people pick wild berries (mostly blackberries this time of year) and then gather at an old farmhouse to make jam. While the jam is cooking, we take out our instruments and pick and jam some more.  I'll be bringing my dulcimer and my guitar.  This event was canceled last summer, but this year anyone vaccinated was invited to come.  So grab your dulcimer and your copy of Rise Up Singing and come on down!jive

Ok I haven’t been on here for a spell, but saw this as I was reading down thru the posts…..this absolutely sounds like a down home absolutely  wonderful time!!!!!!!!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,729 posts

Well you how they say if you give someone a hammer everything looks like a nail.  Dulcimer players want to tickle strings with their fingers.  Drummers want to hit stuff with sticks.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

Dusty Turtle: Positive?  Maybe not.  Mildly funny?  Perhaps.

I recently bought matching stands for my dulcimer and guitar.  The instructions for how to attach the base to the arm read:

"Do not overtighten.  You can crack the wood.  Maybe not a job for a drummer."

And similarly, the instructions for attaching the hanger to the arm read:

"Do not overtighten.  You can strip out the insert.  Keep the drummer away from this."

For the record, the assembly went very well.  Clearly dulcimer players are more gentle creatures than are percussionists. 

giggle2

At least they had an appropriate (musician) sense of humor. (Although,  a drummer may disagree.)

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,255 posts

That's funny!

--
Site Owner

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,729 posts

Positive?  Maybe not.  Mildly funny?  Perhaps.

I recently bought matching stands for my dulcimer and guitar.  The instructions for how to attach the base to the arm read:

"Do not overtighten.  You can crack the wood.  Maybe not a job for a drummer."

And similarly, the instructions for attaching the hanger to the arm read:

"Do not overtighten.  You can strip out the insert.  Keep the drummer away from this."

For the record, the assembly went very well.  Clearly dulcimer players are more gentle creatures than are percussionists.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 10/08/21 01:22:22PM
Leo Kretzner
Leo Kretzner
@leo-kretzner
3 years ago
36 posts

Cue Ray Charles and the singers....  

"I can't stop loving you...!" 

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,429 posts

@dusty-turtle I have a feeling she never stopped (loving you). sun

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,729 posts

I put new strings on my dulcimer today, and she loves me again. love

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,090 posts

Here is some more dulcimer good news: https://stonecountyleader.com/stories/dulcimer-reclaimed-after-50plus-years,4160

Ken

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,429 posts

That is a neat story, Ken!  Thanks for posting the link! 

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
3 years ago
234 posts

Great story Kenl. Thanks for sharing it.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,729 posts

What a sweet story, @ken-longfield.  It shows how strong the student/teacher bond can be and also how dulcimers bring people together in so many ways.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
dulcinina
@dulcinina
3 years ago
87 posts

Nice story, Ken. Nina

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,090 posts

This is a delightful story: https://www.southbendtribune.com/story/lifestyle/2021/07/18/student-teacher-reunite-over-dulcimer-built-woodworking-class/7970945002/ I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Ken

Leny-Sue
Leny-Sue
@leny-sue
3 years ago
15 posts

Dusty, that sounds like a super fun time!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,255 posts

Cool, Dusty!  jive

--
Site Owner

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,729 posts

I put new strings on the Guild 6-string last night, all in preparation for today's Pick - N - Jam, an annual party in which people pick wild berries (mostly blackberries this time of year) and then gather at an old farmhouse to make jam. While the jam is cooking, we take out our instruments and pick and jam some more.  I'll be bringing my dulcimer and my guitar.  This event was canceled last summer, but this year anyone vaccinated was invited to come.  So grab your dulcimer and your copy of Rise Up Singing and come on down!jive

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,429 posts

I just watched the video (with this article) featuring a young musician out of N. Ireland and enjoyed seeing her very much.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-northern-ireland-57510337

updated by @robin-thompson: 06/21/21 01:11:52PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,429 posts

@susie I'm glad Nightbirde touched your heart-- she touched my heart, too.  

Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

Robin Thompson:I saw this America's Got Talent video this morning and found it very moving.  The young woman in it is originally from the county just north of where I live.  Also, I saw a young real-life friend of mine post that he & she have been lifelong friends.

Wow, that touched my heart. ❤️

updated by @susie: 06/09/21 10:27:05AM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,429 posts

I saw this America's Got Talent video this morning and found it very moving.  The young woman in it is originally from the county just north of where I live.  Also, I saw a young real-life friend of mine post that he & she have been lifelong friends.

https://youtu.be/CZJvBfoHDk0 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,729 posts

Dr. Sanjay Gupta on how music is good for your brain.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,729 posts

I found the 6-String Soldiers on Memorial Day.  This is good sh . . . stuff.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
3 years ago
143 posts

Dusty Turtle:

Did you hear about the poor guy from Avenue J?  He has to go 6 blocks to P. ROTFL

That's it, Dusty, no more Mr. Nice Guy!tedious

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,429 posts

That Nora Brown video was so neat to watch!  

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,729 posts

Did you hear about the poor guy from Avenue J?  He has to go 6 blocks to P. ROTFL

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
3 years ago
143 posts

That's cool, Lisa! I'm from Avenue J.pimento

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,255 posts

Hey Steven- I was born on Flatbush x Sterling Place !   gangnam1

--
Site Owner

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
3 years ago
143 posts

Thanks, Dusty! She's a Crown Heights girl, and I was a Flatbush boy.....and that's where any resemblance  to each other, in regard to musical talent, ends! She's fantastic!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,090 posts

Thanks for sharing the video of Nora Brown, Dusty. Very encouraging.

Ken

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,255 posts

I know just how you feel Dulcinina. I visited a dear old friend too recently and our vaccines made it possible. It was such good medicine, in more ways than one!  love

--
Site Owner

dulcinina
@dulcinina
3 years ago
87 posts

Thanks for posting this, Dusty.  Restores my faith as well.  A great way to start off my day.  I sent it to a couple other friends.

Today I am meeting up with a dulcimer friend whom I've not seen in over a year.  She lives about 50 miles from me and we used to play together once a month at her home.  So we're both vaccinated and eager to play together again. Yay.  Nina (aka) Dulcinina

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,729 posts

I just watched this video of Nora Brown on the banjo .  She is only 15.  Born in Brooklyn.  I think there is hope for the world after all.flower

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
jost
@jost
3 years ago
77 posts

@venni That's great news, welcome back

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
3 years ago
400 posts

My husband was out mowing the lawn with a push mower (gas engine) while it was snowing.  Definitely a sign of spring.  He said the grass was growing so fast he could barely keep up between snows (we got about an inch of accumulation, so it wasn't just "snow-globe snow").

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,090 posts

Dusty Turtle:

Do you have a machine that tunes your dulcimers, too?

Not yet, but someday someone will invent one. I've been tempted to try one of the automatic guitar tuners, but it would just be something else to clutter the accessory pocket in my guitar case.

Ken

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,729 posts

Wow. Electric, robot mowers?  You all make me feel like dinosaur.  I still push around a gas mower.  I am self-propelled, but the mower is not.

Do you have a machine that tunes your dulcimers, too?

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,090 posts

My self-propelled mower lasts a little over an hour on a fully charged battery. Mine is a Kobalt from Lowe's. My robotic mover also lasts around an hour on a full charge. It docks itself when it needs to be recharged. It is a Husqvarna. I saw these in action when I attended the A.S.I.A. Symposium in East Stroudsburg, PA in 2018. I was impressed by how they worked. My wife wanted me to get someone to cut the lawn. The robot was a compromise. It cuts the largest part of the year and I use the walk behind, self-propelled mower to do parts of the yard that the robot is not programmed to do. These are areas out near the street and outside of fenced in year and along the fence as the robot does not cut all the way to fence.

Ken

/ 5