Native American Flutes

shanonmilan
@shanonmilan
6 months ago
61 posts

I completely agree. Wooden flutes , like the native American flute, are about celebrating culture and style, not limiting who can make or play them

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
6 months ago
167 posts

Roger, you wrote clearly and kindly and all of us I'm sure understand better the terms, Native American and Native American Style.   Thank you, aloha, Irene

NateBuildsToys
NateBuildsToys
@nate
6 months ago
247 posts

I have always found the appropriation of dream catchers pretty amusing. Many tribes believe that spider web charms need to be periodically purged through ritual, as they attract and accumulate negative spirits. In Hupa culture, 'dreamcatchers' are associated with a protective spider spirit who is also a moon spirit, and therefore, spiderweb charms are purged through a ritual once every full moon.
I suspect most people who buy them at tchotchke shops are not aware of these sorts of details and are effectively just attracting negative energy to themselves, if you believe in that sort of thing.
Of course, most "dreamcatchers" are just woven mandalas with some feathers and beads glued to the edges and couldn't even be used as a spider web charm. For example, most tribes believe that a spider web charm needs to have a specific number of terminating points along its hoop, typically 12.

I suspect most people who buy them don't actually subscribe to any sort of native american spiritualism, and don't really care one way or the other.

Roger56
Roger56
@roger56
6 months ago
1 posts

Susie:

steve104c:

If you look on High Spirits Flutes, you will see he calls them Native American Style flutes. Years ago the American Indians sued the people selling “Native American Flutes” when the person making the flutes had no Native American heritage. Now when selling a “Native American Flute” it must have been made by a “Native American “ or if not by an “American Native “, it must be sold as “Native American Style “. “Native American Flute Style “ donates the type. “ Native American Flute “ donates it is an official “ Native American”  made flute.

Thank you for that explanation. I see that on the HS website. I understand and agree with the distinction.  That said, I think in causal conversation, when we speak of our flutes, there's no harm in calling the HS flutes, Native American Flutes. I know I do. I'm thankful for such builders who are responsible and respectful and build quality flutes. In doing so, they are still honoring the Native Americans, the instrument, and the music.

Thanks again! flute nod

As a person who makes Native American Style flutes, I thought it might be helpful to know why they have to be called Native "style" flutes. This is due to the Indian Arts and Crafts Act of 1990, which was passed to protect Indigenous crafts people. They were being crushed by people offering cheap knockoffs, mostly being made in China and Eastern Europe. Now in the USA you must clearly identify that it is a Native American "style" flute (or even other crafts like dreamcatchers) - unless the maker of the item is a registered member of a federally recognized Tribe or Nation. 

It would shock you to find out just how bad the problem still is - the Chinese are still dumping cheaply made dreamcatchers, arrowheads and many other items. You can even go to a reservation and find these items being sold in the gift shops there. And just how bad is it? The international patent for a dreamcatcher is owned by...China. It never occurred to our indigenous craftspeople that something like that could happen!

I have a lot of Cherokee blood in me, but I don't qualify for membership in any of the three recognized tribes of the Cherokee. Thus, I cannot sell my flutes as "Native Made". But I long ago decided to not be part of the problem, so I do sell them as Native American Style.

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
7 months ago
167 posts

ahhhhhh, Time for thank you.   Thanks Richard for the Stewmac place to get the bone bridge and nut.   Steve, thanks for THE FABULOUS LIST of all your instruments.   way cool.  I have much of the same things and I so enjoyed making many of them through the years.  One person came in my house and asked, "Is this a music store?"  ha.  not......but that's how I got into making so many instruments for others.  Way fun!!!  But my husband played instruments and so do all my children.  aloha, irene

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
7 months ago
234 posts

Irene Stew-Mac has bone bridge and nut material

https://www.stewmac.com/search/?q=bone+nut

NateBuildsToys
NateBuildsToys
@nate
7 months ago
247 posts

IRENE:
I need to know where I can get some bone for the bridge.

Irene, if you are not in a place where bone can be shipped to you easily from an online seller, I have found that some pet stores sell large intact chunks of cow bones in the dog bone section

updated by @nate: 10/02/23 07:35:53AM
steve104c
@steve104c
7 months ago
11 posts

Susie, Thank you. I didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers when I explained that you can’t sell your handmade flutes as “Native American Flutes “ if you are not Native American. I do own a High Spirit flute. I have many flutes from Erik the Flutemaker. I met him at the Texas Renaissance Festival many years ago. I have a McSpadden dulcimer from Mountain View, Arkansas and a Dulcimer Factory dulcimer that was made in Kerrville, Texas. Martin D-35, Taylor nylon string, Martin ukulele. Several Harmony ukulele’s.Deering Goodtime 2 banjo, Deering banjo/ukulele w/ resonator. A Martin Jr. Cajun accordion, met him and he signed my accordion . 2- autoharps( Oscar Schmidt), Cooper bodhran. Many Horner harmonicas. Skinny Bass foot drum. Yamaha electric piano. Fender Strat. Thumb harp. Wood tongue drum. Did I miss anything? Oh yea, several Irish tin flutes. You can say ,” I love my music.” It is true that “ Music soothes the beast “. It hurts me when someone butchers a song. Bob Dylan is not a very good singer, but he has written some of best songs, ever. I believe he is a genius when it comes song writing. I sorry, I’m just rattling on and on. When it comes to music, I could play all day. I go to several jam sessions a month. Time to go. Steve.

Susie
Susie
@susie
7 months ago
500 posts

steve104c:

If you look on High Spirits Flutes, you will see he calls them Native American Style flutes. Years ago the American Indians sued the people selling “Native American Flutes” when the person making the flutes had no Native American heritage. Now when selling a “Native American Flute” it must have been made by a “Native American “ or if not by an “American Native “, it must be sold as “Native American Style “. “Native American Flute Style “ donates the type. “ Native American Flute “ donates it is an official “ Native American”  made flute.

Thank you for that explanation. I see that on the HS website. I understand and agree with the distinction.  That said, I think in causal conversation, when we speak of our flutes, there's no harm in calling the HS flutes, Native American Flutes. I know I do. I'm thankful for such builders who are responsible and respectful and build quality flutes. In doing so, they are still honoring the Native Americans, the instrument, and the music.

Thanks again! flute nod

NateBuildsToys
NateBuildsToys
@nate
7 months ago
247 posts

That is super cool Salt. I couldn't find one that was Hupa or Wiyot, but this Yurok flute may have been similar to the ones my ancestors heard, since there was a lot of cultural overlap.

DCM_1_0775_379_lg.jpg
DCM_1_0775_379_lg.jpg  •  323KB

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
7 months ago
207 posts

Nate,  I found a catalog that has pic's of a variety of Native flutes by tribe.......you and others might be interested in those pics, especially if you want to make your own.

https://flutopedia.com/fcat_old.htm

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
7 months ago
207 posts

Pretty much.........I think the last paragraph of the Smithsonian article link sums it up..............I always found that the Drumhop site with the songs that each tribe used and the stories behind them were fascinating to hear.  Granted it can be a pick tricky to use but well worth the effort.

NateBuildsToys
NateBuildsToys
@nate
7 months ago
247 posts

Thanks for sharing salt, these are cool. To my sensibilities, different tribes had different flutes and "Native American flute" is just a general term for one style of flute that some tribes made, which has been adapted into a western instrument.. Obviously pre-colombian flutes were not in A440, so that makes most "native American flutes" I've seen "cultural appropriation." The flutes I've seen in tribal museums, as well as the Musical Instrument Museum were often visually and functionally very different from each other.  If it were built traditionally, I would expect the name of a tribe and not just "native American." 

And Irene, I really look forward to seeing that dulcimer!

updated by @nate: 09/30/23 01:39:47AM
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
7 months ago
207 posts

A great site too:

https://drumhop.com/music.php?page=97

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
7 months ago
207 posts

Here is another link for your consideration...........

https://drumhop.com/music.php?page=135

Note the warble......characteristic of indigenous music of long ago.

updated by @salt-springs: 09/29/23 11:33:50PM
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
7 months ago
207 posts

The is a good read.......I've played these flutes for many a year and own a number of them made by Michael Graham Allen with whom I've been in contact many times over those years. MGA is a super musician, true gentleman and superb craftsman.   The issue is not the design of the flute so much as it is people appropriating another peoples culture and claiming it is something that it is not.  If you research native flute music that was recorded by real indigenous players from long ago you would immediately see the difference.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/blogs/smithsonian-center-folklife-cultural-heritage/2021/11/09/north-american-indigenous-flute-kevin-locke/

https://history.stackexchange.com/questions/49186/do-we-have-any-authentic-native-american-flute-music-from-the-18th-century-or-ea

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
7 months ago
167 posts

Dear Nate, you are so very right in your words here.   I learned how to make a native drum from a native that was living in Hawaii a few  years back.  I just loved it and came home and knowing that I'm not Native America and so I did some research on Celtic drums, and I am Celtic.............I started making Celtic drums and I've sold a few.   I also have 2 High Spirit Native style flutes and ordered a drone flute from another maker that doesn't pretend he's a native....I've had a lot of fun with these flutes.  I do have a full Navajo "sister" friend that introduced me to the Native flutes.   We've been able to play dulcimer and flute, harp and flute, and of course, drum and flute.   I just finished a bowed psaltery for her and we're going to play more weird combinations of our instruments.  Sooooooooooo fun. It's late at night, but I need to post some photos of the teardrop dulcimer that I made in Hawaii last February.  It's all out of Bible woods.  fretboard out of Olive wood, top Cedar of Lebanon, sides & back Koa (Acacia wood of the Bible).   It really has a unusual  tone and I need to know where I can get some bone for the bridge.   I have some hard wood there, but I think it will do better with a bone bridge.  I need to learn how to attach photos again, but it's too late at night and I'm going to bed.   aloha, irene

NateBuildsToys
NateBuildsToys
@nate
7 months ago
247 posts

That is interesting Steve. It seems pretty silly to me but this is America and we do love to sue. As I was trying to look into it more, it seems like the native American flute got loopholed into being included as an "American Indian craft" just due to its name, since the instrument was called such for quite a while before that law was written. Still silly to me though, that someone would see the descriptor "native American" and directly assume that it must have been made by a real one, let alone it happening so often they passed a law lol. The flute herself does not know or care whether she is native American or native American style. Either way that law is interesting.

Nate

updated by @nate: 09/29/23 07:00:29PM
steve104c
@steve104c
7 months ago
11 posts

If you look on High Spirits Flutes, you will see he calls them Native American Style flutes. Years ago the American Indians sued the people selling “Native American Flutes” when the person making the flutes had no Native American heritage. Now when selling a “Native American Flute” it must have been made by a “Native American “ or if not by an “American Native “, it must be sold as “Native American Style “. “Native American Flute Style “ donates the type. “ Native American Flute “ donates it is an official “ Native American”  made flute. If you are making flutes and selling them as “American Native Flutes” and you are not full or part  “Native American “ you are deceiving your customers and are libel. You must label your flutes as “Native American Style Flutes”. This is not BS. Steve B. Next time before you reply, check out your info. and you won’t have to eat your words.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
7 months ago
388 posts

If so, I'm in big trouble!

NateBuildsToys
NateBuildsToys
@nate
7 months ago
247 posts

Steve, I believe "native American flute" just denotes the origin of the style of the flute, not that specific flute. To me it's a bit like saying you have to be French to build a French horn, English to build an English concertina, or Appalachian to build an Appalachian dulcimer.

Some people might actually agree with that last oneduck

steve104c
@steve104c
7 months ago
11 posts

Jacob, I am vey sorry to burst your bubble. I have a High Spirit flute. They are not “Native American Flutes”. The man that builds those flutes is not a Native American and thus he can not call his flutes “Native American Flutes “.  He makes really nice flutes. Sorry! I believe he calls them Native American Style flutes. Steve.

JacobGraham
JacobGraham
@jacobgraham
9 months ago
2 posts

JacobGraham:

Native American flutes are so intriguing! The ebonized walnut flute from High Spirits sounds rad, especially with those turquoise cabochons! The Crow flute in the key of A must have a sweet, warm tone!

I totally get it. Once you find a generous coupon code, you just gotta go for it! I've been eyeing the average flute price . So, I'm thinking of adding another one to my collection 'cause you can never have too many flutes, right?So now you're at 5 flutes, and that sounds like a fantastic collection! Keep jamming and exploring those beautiful tones! Music is such a soulful journey, and these flutes add a magical touch to it all!

updated by @jacobgraham: 08/07/23 04:15:18PM
JacobGraham
JacobGraham
@jacobgraham
9 months ago
2 posts

Native American flutes are so intriguing! The ebonized walnut flute from High Spirits sounds rad, especially with those turquoise cabochons! The Crow flute in the key of A must have a sweet, warm tone!

Susie
Susie
@susie
9 months ago
500 posts

I picked up another flute from High Spirits. I've been wanting one of their ebonized walnut flutes, so when I found a generous coupon code, I just had to get it. The turquoise cabochons really look nice too. Crow flute in the key of A. It has a beautiful, warm tone. I also picked up a second Spirit Flute earlier this year. I'm at 5 now, I think that's enough. winky flute

IMG_20230720_115905876.jpg

updated by @susie: 07/20/23 08:29:52PM
StudentofRhythm
StudentofRhythm
@studentofrhythm
3 years ago
19 posts

I bought a flute tuned in A at a gift shop in Torrey, UT a few summers ago.  Good basic solid flute with a nice tone.  I have fun with it.  A while ago I did a demo recording of a song I wrote with it: flute, voice and percussion:

https://soundcloud.com/studentofrhythm/to-hazel-2021-04-01?si=fdb7bb7bb9b04c258772511108d3a362

Susie
Susie
@susie
4 years ago
500 posts

Irene, the NAF journey can be a lot of fun. Congrats on your new HS flute. I had a low E for awhile, but it was one of 3 flutes I recently sold. They sound so haunting. 

Ken, I hope my idea of the case helps you out. I first did one for my tin whistle, years ago. 

Re the case, I don't store any of my flutes in their cases...it will only be used when I go to festivals or travel in the motor home. My NAF's remain out on stands so they can benefit from the humidifier I have in my music room. Storing it in that plastic case wouldn't be a good idea.

updated by @susie: 11/24/20 10:51:38AM
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,124 posts

I like your flute case.  Great use of PVC.  I'll have to make a couple of those for some of my handmade bamboo Mirliton flutes.

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
4 years ago
167 posts

WOAH, did this post take me on an adventure.   I have just bought a HIGH SPIRITS native American flute and love the lowness of the E.   I sapose I should have gotten a "entry level" A.   but loved the sound and look of this one I got in Hannibal, MO. (big Native American store, been there for 32 years) I've been thinking about this for about 20 years.   well, not getting any younger....So when this post came up....I've done some exploring and it's just begun.   Thanks for the info herein.  Love the case you made as well.   aloha, irene

Susie
Susie
@susie
4 years ago
500 posts

sleepingangel: I love that case you made. I would love a step by step lol. Makes me want to buy the flute just to make the case. Ha ha enjoy Maria

Thank you, it was fun.  I used a piece of 1 1/4" PVC that my husband had left over (the flute fits perfectly in it). I cut it to the correct length with a chop saw (which gave it a nice clean, square cut). Then I got the two ends from Home Depot. I put an 1/8" thick felt stick-on pad in the fixed end, so the flute would have padding there. Then I glued on the two ends with PVC glue. In the end with the screw cap, I rolled up some foam, and tucked it on the inside of the cap and wrapped it tightly with electrical tape. That provides the cushion for the flute on that end and takes up the excess space that that end has (because of the way those PVC ends work). The printing on the PVC was the harder part. To remove it, I tried Acetone (nail polish remover) as suggested on YouTube. It lightened it, but didn't remove it. So, my husband said PVC glue would remove it. So, we smeared PVC glue on the printing, then removed it quickly with a paper towel. Wa-la, it worked. It takes off some of the sheen, but I redid the glue thing on the whole tube to make it consistent. I added some music stickers I had from a previous project. 

IMG_20201121_100831259.jpg

updated by @susie: 11/23/20 05:04:19PM
sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
4 years ago
98 posts
I love that case you made. I would love a step by step lol. Makes me want to buy the flute just to make the case. Ha ha enjoy
Maria
Susie
Susie
@susie
4 years ago
500 posts

Strumelia:

Susie I'm curious- the white circle right on the end of the scorpion's tail- is that a hole used for playing?

Very nicely done PVC case!

No, that is an inlay....it is a 6mm Kyocera Opal cabochon. Nice catch!

Re the case, thank you!

updated by @susie: 11/23/20 10:29:40AM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,252 posts

Susie I'm curious- the white circle right on the end of the scorpion's tail- is that a hole used for playing?

Very nicely done PVC case!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Susie
Susie
@susie
4 years ago
500 posts

Since I recently downsized my NAF collection by 3, I thought I could justify (and try out) one of High Spirits new Spirit Flutes. This is from their Astrology line (mine is Scorpio) Their Spirit Flutes are not double chambered flutes, so they take a little less effort in blowing. This is in the key of A (it is 14" long and is made of Spanish Cedar). I love the fact that I have a flute without a fetish now, so it will be of less concern when traveling. In fact, I made a "hard case" for it out of PVC (that was fun to do). These don't have quite the volume that a standard NAF has, but the tone is quite nice. It plays just like a double chambered NAF. 

Flutes 10.jpg

Flutes 11.jpg

Flutes 8.jpg

updated by @susie: 11/23/20 10:23:49AM
Susie
Susie
@susie
6 years ago
500 posts
PapaSims:

Here is my collection so far.  HighSpirits, Erik the Flutemaker, Stellar kit and recently purchased from Joe Loftin.

Nice looking flutes!
PapaSims
PapaSims
@papasims
6 years ago
5 posts

Here is my collection so far.  HighSpirits, Erik the Flutemaker, Stellar kit and recently purchased from Joe Loftin.

NAF.jpg
NAF.jpg  •  283KB

Susie
Susie
@susie
7 years ago
500 posts

The Madrone Magic flutes at High Spirits are beautiful and sound wonderful. 

Susie
Susie
@susie
7 years ago
500 posts

Beautiful collection of flutes, Monica. I do think I'm all set though. I've got the variety I want and now I'm just going to keep working on techniques, and voices, and learning to play cleaner and faster. I'm playing a lot of written music, which is fun. I've actually transposed quite a few of my written music pieces into keys of A and E, so I can play them. Plus, I'm playing with my sister. Thanks for sharing your picture of your flutes, they are beautiful.

Monica
Monica
@monica
7 years ago
64 posts

Susie: Ok, I'm done. Got the bases covered, and I'm having fun. Plus, all the spaces are filled.

I have been playing less than a year, and not everyday at that..I have also traded a couple of flutes with other people.

Susie I thought after 2 I was done..never say never!!!! You have to try other flute makers.

ffflute.jpg
ffflute.jpg  •  193KB

Susie
Susie
@susie
7 years ago
500 posts
Ok, I'm done. Got the bases covered, and I'm having fun. Plus, all the spaces are filled.
Susie
Susie
@susie
7 years ago
500 posts

Monica:

The next step after condor bass are the Drones. Though I recommend starting with the smaller holes as blowing into 2 chambers is quite the challenge and takes practice, the smaller one is a B minor made by a Canadian (Templewindflutes)and the large on Is a G# . It arrived 2 days ago all the way from Australia (MagicWoodworks)

Wow, those are beautiful Monica! 

Actually, I have a double flute that my friend gave me that is the V type, in the key of F#. It was made by a fellow in Michigan and has wonderful intonation, tone and craftsmanship. She wasn't using it, so she generously gave it to me. It's been fun to mess around with. 

Monica
Monica
@monica
7 years ago
64 posts

The next step after condor bass are the Drones. Though I recommend starting with the smaller holes as blowing into 2 chambers is quite the challenge and takes practice, the smaller one is a B minor made by a Canadian (Templewindflutes)and the large on Is a G# . It arrived 2 days ago all the way from Australia (MagicWoodworks)

Drones.jpeg
Drones.jpeg  •  132KB

Susie
Susie
@susie
7 years ago
500 posts

Susie:

My HS Em Condor Bass in Spanish Cedar arrives on Monday. flute

I went with cedar, because I have a mid-tone G in cedar, and I love its tone. I have a couple walnut flutes already.

Well, it arrived 3 days late, since the post office decided to send it on a wild journey to an incorrect post office (it was correctly addressed). It got about 650 extra miles on it, but finally arrived today. I love the flute, wood, and tone. Thanks for everyone's help. Happy camper! joyjoy

updated by @susie: 03/09/17 02:17:25PM
Monica
Monica
@monica
7 years ago
64 posts

Congratulations Susie, While I don't have a high spirits Em. I have the maple from Ancient territories..if I had to grab just one flute It would be that Em. 

Susie
Susie
@susie
7 years ago
500 posts

My HS Em Condor Bass in Spanish Cedar arrives on Monday. flute

I went with cedar, because I have a mid-tone G in cedar, and I love its tone. I have a couple walnut flutes already.

updated by @susie: 03/04/17 05:51:25PM
Susie
Susie
@susie
7 years ago
500 posts

John Keane:
Susie:

John, I'm not considering the contra, just the condor bass Em. Just can't decide between the standard bore and the 1" bore. But, it sounds like the standard bore would be just fine for me. Do you guys have a standard bore condor (not contra) bass?

We have "regular" Condor basses in various keys (even the smaller bore size).  Once you get used to the extra stretch beyond a smaller flute stretch it's really no big deal.  Have fun and enjoy the process!

Thanks for the insight John!!!

Monica
Monica
@monica
7 years ago
64 posts

Jennifer, I don't have an Em from high spirits, but I think they are about the same size, I have one from Ancient territories, it's maple and the holes are smaller but the spacing is the same, Em is my favourite key..they're all great!!

As for Wood I have a condor bass Cm in walnut. really nice

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
7 years ago
182 posts

Susie:

John, I'm not considering the contra, just the condor bass Em. Just can't decide between the standard bore and the 1" bore. But, it sounds like the standard bore would be just fine for me. Do you guys have a standard bore condor (not contra) bass?

We have "regular" Condor basses in various keys (even the smaller bore size).  Once you get used to the extra stretch beyond a smaller flute stretch it's really no big deal.  Have fun and enjoy the process!

Susie
Susie
@susie
7 years ago
500 posts

Thanks Monica!

Monica
Monica
@monica
7 years ago
64 posts

Susie I bought mine here..considerably less, but you may have to wait a few weeks for them to order it.

http://www.grothmusic.com/c-497-native-american-flutes.aspx

Susie
Susie
@susie
7 years ago
500 posts

Thanks Monica! And also to  Maria and John. Your insights really helped! Now I'll decide on timing. Gotta wait and see what's on sale in March. happys

Monica
Monica
@monica
7 years ago
64 posts

Hi Susie , its about 1 and 3/4..It's very easy and comfortable to hold.I really believe you will be able to play it with ease considering your musical experience and height

Susie
Susie
@susie
7 years ago
500 posts

Thanks Monica and John. Very nice videos. 

Monica, sounds like you are handling it without issue. Did you remeasure the outside diameter (1.2" didn't seem right to me)? Thanks.

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
7 years ago
182 posts

The only thing that I would caution about would be a Condor Contra Bass flute.  My wife (Karen) has been a professional flute player and teacher since the 1980s.  The holes are so large that her fingers go straight into them without stopping to seal the holes.  The spread between the holes can also be a challenge for people with smaller hands.  I haven't run into many folks who have this problem with the regular Condor Bass series, but I know that some like the smaller bore better for comfort reasons.  Here's a video that starts with me using the contra bass.  You'll probably be able to tell that I'm working pretty hard to manage the beast, but they have such a wonderful low voice. 

Monica
Monica
@monica
7 years ago
64 posts

I say try the larger size, no squawking and fuller deeper tone..I am 5.3'..and have skinny fingers and have no problem at all..you can always return /exchange if it doesn't work for you. 

I am playing the condor bass C in this video..which if anything is slightly larger than the D

Susie
Susie
@susie
7 years ago
500 posts

Thanks Monica. That outside measurement (1.2") seems like the same as the outside measurement of those with the 1" bore......1.25". I'm talking the outside of the wood. Is it really 1.2" for the standard condor bass?

Thanks for the pics and info. Now I can't decide between the standard bore (will have to confirm measurements) and the 1" bore like Maria's.

Monica
Monica
@monica
7 years ago
64 posts

Susie the outside measures over 1.2.   I recommend the larger bore it has a fuller deeper sound . I am a small person and I have no problem. The condor bass D is aromatic Cedar and the Bass C is walnut. I also have a condor bass B that is spanish cedar ..it's a lot more challenging to play the holes are larger and further apart..but doable. I also recommend you check out Ancient Territories I have a couple of his flutes..beautiful craftsmanship and sound.in the photos starting from the left High spirits Condor bass B,C,D , Gm and Em 432 from atflutes.com

updated by @monica: 02/21/17 01:50:47PM
Susie
Susie
@susie
7 years ago
500 posts

Monica, what is the outside diameter of your HS bass flutes? I know it's 1 1/4" for the 1" bore flutes. Was curious how they compare. I'm tall, have pretty good size hands and have 43 years experience playing stringed instruments. So I'm thinking I could handle the bass flute size (even the non-1" bore). Sounds like you have no problem with the size. What woods are yours?

Monica
Monica
@monica
7 years ago
64 posts

I have the condor bass D and C, not the 1" bore however. I have no problems playing them, infact they play with ease and sound beautiful. The larger bore has no squawking but I do have squawking with the smaller bore flutes( Gm, F#) from high spirits.

updated by @monica: 02/21/17 10:56:20AM
Susie
Susie
@susie
7 years ago
500 posts

Thanks Maria. I'm thinking seriously about the 1" bore Em flute (walnut). I love the low tones and this would fit nicely into my mix. 

sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
7 years ago
98 posts

[quote="Susie"]

Has anyone purchased a bass tone flute or more specifically, a HS 1" bore bass tone flute?

[/quote

Yup Suzie. I have their Dm and Em 1 inch bore flutes. I love both of them but the Dm took me much longer to be able to play without squawking. I was silly and it was only my 2nd flute after the Jonah Thompson Am that I learned on...but now after 10 months of playing the NA flute I can play it just like the others. Both of mine are in Walnut as they are much more durable (and I seem to always whack my instruments onto something lol)

Good luck

Maria

Susie
Susie
@susie
7 years ago
500 posts

Has anyone purchased a bass tone flute or more specifically, a HS 1" bore bass tone flute?

Susie
Susie
@susie
8 years ago
500 posts

I've got their single hard case. Real nice....it protects the flutes very well. I took the case and 3 flutes to Mackinac Island for the inaugural trip. Nice shoulder strap too for the hiking we did. 

sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
8 years ago
98 posts

I just ordered the large hard case from high spirits with the 25 Percent off and free shipping on orders over 100 it was worth it. (I ordered three of his spiral bound music books/cd to make the 100) and I'm so exited for it to come. They say depending on the flutes it could hold about 6 flutes 

take care and enjoy playing 

Susie
Susie
@susie
8 years ago
500 posts

Have fun Jennifer!

Susie
Susie
@susie
8 years ago
500 posts

Blondie, I saw those. Looks like a great deal. I'm all set for now. Good luck, they should go quickly.

Blondie
Blondie
@blondie
8 years ago
27 posts

FYI, I would like to direct you to the 'for sale' part of this site. I have two lovely High Spirits Flutes for sale.

Thanks!

Blondie

sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
8 years ago
98 posts

Susie:

So cool, congrats Maria!

thanks so much Susie!!

Take care

Maria

Susie
Susie
@susie
8 years ago
500 posts

So cool, congrats Maria!

sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
8 years ago
98 posts

Oh that it is sooooo addicting!!

Hey I'm really excited because High Spirits tweeted about my video that I did using my HS Drone and my Synth and Kalimba!!

take care everyone!

Maria

https://twitter.com/HighSpiritFlute/status/800718055718326272

Caleb Dan Bennett
Caleb Dan Bennett
@caleb-dan-bennett
8 years ago
8 posts

You can't have too many flutes I say! lol

Susie
Susie
@susie
8 years ago
500 posts

I ordered the high G in aromatic cedar as soon as I got the sale email from HS. Turns out, my sister also ordered a high F# in birch.

updated by @susie: 11/21/16 10:36:57AM
sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
8 years ago
98 posts

Susie:

I played my sister's HS pocket flute (G, in aromatic cedar). It was a really cool little flute with a nice voice. It sounded great with the G mid-tone. Now I want one. wasntme  

Then Susie, here's your perfect time to get one!! they are on sale for THIS week. 25 percent off all the flutes!

Let me know if you get one. I ordered mine!! 

Take care

Maria

Susie
Susie
@susie
8 years ago
500 posts

25% off currently at High Spirits.

Susie
Susie
@susie
8 years ago
500 posts

Yes, a lot less. The two were beautiful together. I have a mid-tone G, as well as my sister. I think for the price. I'll just have to get one. thumbsup

/ 3