The Positive Thread...

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
one week ago
624 posts

John and Ken, it is still there and under new ownership. We didn't get it to try it on the way out, but will try to stop on our way back east.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Susie
Susie
@susie
one week ago
271 posts
Ken Longfield:

Betty and I had a very nice visit with Richard Ash at Folkcraft instruments yesterday morning. Richard took time to show us through the Folkcraft facility, let me play a lapjo, and talked with us about dulcimers in general. I am impressed with what Richard and his staff are doing. He has worked hard to increase the quality and variety of his instruments. He has invested heavily in new equipment to insure that the instruments are accurately fretted and now makes cases for Folkcraft instruments in-house rather than outsourcing them. If you ever get to Woodburn, Indiana, give Richard a call and stop in. You won't be disappointed.

Ken

I agree, Ken. We visited Richard and the Folkcraft facility a couple years ago. It was really neat to see everything he has done, his passion is very apparent. While I was there, I had Richard convert my FolkRoots dulcimer to a baritone. I love it! I second your recommendation to stop by Folkcraft, if you're ever in the area.
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
one week ago
1,773 posts

El Comedor was still there a couple years ago when I went through that area.  Great FryBread/Navajo Tacos and Chile Verde!

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
2 weeks ago
228 posts

Ken, I too have been through Moriarity, NM.  The things I remember are the locally-famous Mexican restaurant, El Comedor de Anayas, and that incredible neon Rotosphere out front.  I expect both of them are gone now, alas.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 weeks ago
624 posts

Dusty, we are staying on Route 66 tonight in Moriarty, NM. Richard showed us the radiused fret board. It has a 10 inch radius. Should be a nice feature for finger picking and flat picking.

Ken

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 weeks ago
1,035 posts

Ken. one of the members of my local dulcimer group here in California recently went on a 3-month road trip this summer, traveling route 66 but then just driving wherever the dulcimer winds blew.  She visited Folkcraft where she attended a workshop with John & Karen Keane and bought a really nice dulcimer from Richard.  It has a radiused fretboard, something I think will be a permanent option going forward.  I think you're right that Richard and the Folkcraft folks are not only really nice but doing a great job continuing to improve their instruments.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 weeks ago
624 posts

Betty and I had a very nice visit with Richard Ash at Folkcraft instruments yesterday morning. Richard took time to show us through the Folkcraft facility, let me play a lapjo, and talked with us about dulcimers in general. I am impressed with what Richard and his staff are doing. He has worked hard to increase the quality and variety of his instruments. He has invested heavily in new equipment to insure that the instruments are accurately fretted and now makes cases for Folkcraft instruments in-house rather than outsourcing them. If you ever get to Woodburn, Indiana, give Richard a call and stop in. You won't be disappointed.

Ken

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 weeks ago
1,035 posts

Robin, during the summer, the California's Central Valley is drier than the Serengeti.  And then in the winter it pours.  Before the system of canals and levees, the whole Central Valley used to be marshy delta.  The only way to get from Sacramento to San Francisco in the early days of the Gold Rush was by boat.  In the oldest neighborhoods of Sacramento, the old houses are all raised off the ground (basements are pretty rare here) because the city used to flood every winter.  But for at least 4 months and sometimes 6 or 7 in the summer, it never rains.  We rely on the snow melt from the Sierras for our water which we steal from the rivers on their way to the Pacific Ocean.

And because of this engineered environment, Central Valley farmers(or agribusiness corporations) grow 1/3 of all America's produce.  East of the 100th meridian, farmer's rely on G-d for the rain to water their crops.  Out west, we get it from the federal government.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 weeks ago
987 posts

Wow, Dusty, I can't imagine being without rain for so long!  I hope y'all have more rain soon, too!  

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
3 weeks ago
1,035 posts

rain Something positive?  It rained. rain I know, some of you are sick of the rain. But it rained today in Northern California for the first time since April.  It started with a minor sprinkle or two and I kept doing some yardwork, enjoying the cool drops of water on my head and shoulders. Then it stopped and I thought that was it.  But shortly after sunset we had a torrential downpour. It was loud. It was dramatic.  It only lasted about a half hour, but it was enough to satisfy the thirsty soil.  Hopefully there's more coming soon.crossfingers

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Tumbleweed
Tumbleweed
@tumbleweed
3 weeks ago
27 posts
Dulcinina
That wasn't my story about Genesis. That is Salt Strings' story. It is a great one isn't it.
:)
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 weeks ago
1,865 posts

@dulcinina that is a wonderful update about your playing for the folks on ventilators.  I'm sure it meant more to them than any of us can even imagine.  heartbeat

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
3 weeks ago
111 posts

Tumbleweed: I have been thinking about her too. I hope this Angel is doing well And congratulations Strumelia. That is wonderful. I need to do the CPR class again. I was certified years ago. I would also like to get recertified in First aid too.

Erik tells me, that she is doing well and recovering from this round of surgery.  More to follow.  She will be meeting with her Doctors in the  near future for continued treatment..............

dulcinina
@dulcinina
3 weeks ago
43 posts

On Wednesday $ of us Played for patients in the respiratory care unit of Rockcastle Regional Hospital in Mt. Vernon, KY.  This is the largest freestanding respiratory care unit in the nation with 127 beds for people who must be on venitlators.  The majority of patients will live out their lives there.

It was a humbling expierience to play for the group of people who were able to come to the session.  Four of them were wheeled in in their beds.  One not in a bed but running around, was 2 years old!  She was in the process of being weened from a ventilator and would be going home soon.

To play for people confined to a facility was one of my dulcimer goals and being able to do this is a privilege.  Hope my spelling is OK 'cuz I've got tears in my eyes.  

Tumbleweed's story prompted me to tell mine.  Thank you for sharing it.  Dulcinina

Tumbleweed
Tumbleweed
@tumbleweed
3 weeks ago
27 posts
I have been thinking about her too. I hope this Angel is doing well

And congratulations Strumelia. That is wonderful. I need to do the CPR class again. I was certified years ago. I would also like to get recertified in First aid too.
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
3 weeks ago
111 posts

Congratulations on getting CPR certified........that is a magnificent thing to know and you really never know when it might be needed.  And, Tumbleweed, thank you for checking out Genesis' creations.  I've been buying from Erik as a way to support his ministry for many years and not only is he a great musician he is a most compassionate and giving soul.  Hopefully Genesis' has had another reconstructive surgery this week and all is well. 

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 weeks ago
1,865 posts

Tumbleweed, how great! I hope you enjoy your new flute and the good karma of supporting that little girl's treatments. flute

My positive thing is that over the past two evenings I completed the four hour training class in giving CPR... I'm now certified and know what to do if someone has a cardiac arrest or can't breathe.  That's something I've wanted to do for about twenty years. I finally got my act together and took the course.  Yay!

--
Site Owner

Tumbleweed
Tumbleweed
@tumbleweed
3 weeks ago
27 posts
Salt Springs:

Despite all the rotten things we are constantly bombarded with on the news there are lots of good things happening in this world.  Today I spoke with my old friend Erik, the Flutemaker and watched the video of a little Nicaraguan girl, here in the US getting treatment for lip malformation.   She is with her mother and will be undergoing another surgery on Sept. 12...a risky procedure too!

Anyway, if you are so inclined watch the video, it will lift your spirit......she is learning English and making flutes!!! (I bought 10 of her creations for Christmas gifts)    Let me caution you, she is too cute for words.

https://eriktheflutemaker.com/blogs/articles/meet-genesis

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this video. Genesis is is the cutest little thing. Well I had to get one of her flutes, oh and a bird whistle. Hubby and pupper arent too happy.

My flute came in a little protective bag with a hand drawing of Genesis. Now I have to find a place to practice.
Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
4 weeks ago
58 posts

I don't get to spend as much time as i would like - playing music, following FOTMD and other things music.

However, when I get the chance (I did this evening) I LOVE Dulci-Binging!  It makes me Happy! jive

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 weeks ago
987 posts

That's sweet, Dusty.  Music friends are tops! 

--
Robin T
John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
4 weeks ago
208 posts

Dusty Turtle:

I run a dulcimer group that meets monthly.  Today, at the end of our session, just as we were breaking for some snacks, one of our regular members gave me a present: a BlueChip flatpicksun In a discussion of flatpicking technique several months back I had mentioned that I use inexpensive Dunlop Tortex picks but once tried a BlueChip pick that Erin Mae Lewis shared with me.  I loved it, but since they cost like $35 I would never buy one.  I guess he remembered and got one for me -- with the right-hand bevel and everything.  How cool is that!  Now I just have to be careful not to lose it.nailbite

That's VERY cool!

Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
4 weeks ago
58 posts

Elvensong:

Robin Thompson:

FOTMD's own @elvensong tied for fourth place in the mountain dulcimer competition at the Walnut Valley Festival (AKA Winfield).  Huzzah! 

I can't wait to meet you and Mark at The Dulcimer Shoppe booth and play Circleville next year!

No pressure.

Well.. yeah pressure. poke

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 weeks ago
624 posts

That's great Dusty. Use it well, and yes, don't lose it.

Ken

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
4 weeks ago
1,035 posts

I run a dulcimer group that meets monthly.  Today, at the end of our session, just as we were breaking for some snacks, one of our regular members gave me a present: a BlueChip flatpicksun In a discussion of flatpicking technique several months back I had mentioned that I use inexpensive Dunlop Tortex picks but once tried a BlueChip pick that Erin Mae Lewis shared with me.  I loved it, but since they cost like $35 I would never buy one.  I guess he remembered and got one for me -- with the right-hand bevel and everything.  How cool is that!  Now I just have to be careful not to lose it.nailbite

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Bob
Bob
@bob
4 weeks ago
175 posts

Thank you Sheryl! It was such a simple table set-up, but seemed appropriate for my stuff. Maybe next time I will use two tables for more room, with a couple more stools.

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
4 weeks ago
333 posts

Bob:

I had my first vendor experience last Saturday at a local Craft Show! Although I sold no dulcimers, I had a wonderful time playing and displaying my instruments, giving folks the opportunity to play them,  and just talking to visitors about the Mountain Dulcimer. What a nice experience it was!

very nice display Bob. Beautiful dulcimers. I like how you used the quilt.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
one month ago
1,865 posts

This story and video are very uplifting.  I love how the son has helped his father, despite the terrible toll of his father's disease. Watch the amazing video...

https://people.com/human-interest/car-karaoke-with-father-battling-dementia/

--
Site Owner

Bob
Bob
@bob
one month ago
175 posts

Thanks Ken and Dusty!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
one month ago
1,035 posts

Those are some fine looking instruments, Bob. 

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
one month ago
1,773 posts

Good job, Bob!  

Bob
Bob
@bob
one month ago
175 posts

I had my first vendor experience last Saturday at a local Craft Show! Although I sold no dulcimers, I had a wonderful time playing and displaying my instruments, giving folks the opportunity to play them,  and just talking to visitors about the Mountain Dulcimer. What a nice experience it was!

Pitman Craft Show.jpg
Pitman Craft Show.jpg  •  725KB

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
one month ago
987 posts

[/quote]

I can't wait to meet you and Mark at The Dulcimer Shoppe booth and play Circleville next year!

No pressure.

[/quote]

It'd be so cool if we could, Dean.  

--
Robin T
Elvensong
Elvensong
@elvensong
one month ago
27 posts

Robin Thompson:

FOTMD's own @elvensong tied for fourth place in the mountain dulcimer competition at the Walnut Valley Festival (AKA Winfield).  Huzzah! 

No pressure.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
one month ago
624 posts

Very good. Congratulations Elvensong.

Ken

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
one month ago
987 posts

--
Robin T
David E.Hall
David E.Hall
@david-ehall
one month ago
11 posts

Just hoping that all in the Carolinas are OK and bearing up  

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
one month ago
624 posts

Just received the latest issue of Dulcimer Players News today. Another collection of interesting articles and tunes. For anyone who checks out the Upcoming Festivals there is a typo in my email address for the Berea Traditional Dulcimer Gathering. It should be embarqmail with an "a", not an "s". If you do not subscribe, consider doing so. It is a positive experience.

Ken

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
one month ago
111 posts

Despite all the rotten things we are constantly bombarded with on the news there are lots of good things happening in this world.  Today I spoke with my old friend Erik, the Flutemaker and watched the video of a little Nicaraguan girl, here in the US getting treatment for lip malformation.   She is with her mother and will be undergoing another surgery on Sept. 12...a risky procedure too!

Anyway, if you are so inclined watch the video, it will lift your spirit......she is learning English and making flutes!!! (I bought 10 of her creations for Christmas gifts)    Let me caution you, she is too cute for words.

https://eriktheflutemaker.com/blogs/articles/meet-genesis

updated by @salt-springs: 09/07/18 11:49:48AM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 months ago
1,035 posts

These two could give Gillian Welch and David Rawlings a run for their money. I just love the little rhythmic darts the fiddler offers as filler.

I'm sure I'm not the only one falling in love with Kaia Kater, just as I fell in love with Gillian Welch and Kate Rusby and Rhiannon Giddens and Emmylou Harris and . . . 

A week off before work picks up again is allowing me time to get stuff done around the house and also explore new music.  How wonderful is that!

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty-turtle: 08/24/18 03:39:33PM
Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
2 months ago
333 posts

Early Saturday morning, just caught up with all the weeks new discussions. Off to the Raleigh, NC flea market to look for treasures, then to the local lumber store for some basswood and western red cedar. Good weekend fun.

Steve Smith
Steve Smith
@steve-smith
3 months ago
19 posts

We've only been to Falcon Ridge once, over 15 years ago, but we loved it, rain and all!  And several of this year's performers were there, too.  Be sure to see Dar Williams, one of our favorite folk singers.  Of course, living up there, you probably are already friends with her!

I'm making plans for a different type of event, too.  My daughter and I got great tickets to see Hamilton in Charlotte!  With over 75,000 people in the "virtual waiting room" when tickets went on sale yesterday, we figured we had no chance...  (And "My Shot" is fun on dulcimer, too, although it can't beat Lin-Manuel Miranda!)

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 months ago
1,865 posts

Today I decided I'll be going by myself to a folk festival about 40 minutes from me that has a tone of contra dancing this weekend. I've never gone to Falcon Ridge festival, but I know many avid dancers love it, so I made the executive decision to go this Saturday for the one day.  They have contra dances going on most of time, in the huge dance tent, from noon til like 2am on saturday!  Um, I doubt I'll be staying til 2am and then driving home though. (!) I can take breaks throughout the day to eat and browse the craft booths and rest.

This should be a very big workout for me -I'll likely be completely exhausted but happy on sunday.  I hope the weather is not awful, but will bring what I need.  There's no real jamming scene there so I won't need to bring instruments (and worry about them). Just a folding chair, a backpack with water, hat, extra shirt and shoes, flashlight, whatever sun/rain protection the forecast suggests.  Maybe pack an Alleve or two as well!  oma

FUN adventure.... !  bananadance

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 08/02/18 08:31:49PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 months ago
987 posts

Friends, the best memory of the day was the clapping to our music from a little girl whose mom described her as nonverbal.  

I did not get to tour the farmhouse.  However, near the end of the day, one of the house tour guides told me there were dulcimers in the house.  I got a quick look at two of them-- both were made, I believe, by Edd Presnell.  (A typed envelope with one of the instruments had a return address from Mr Edd Presnell.) 

--
Robin T
Elvensong
Elvensong
@elvensong
3 months ago
27 posts

Robin Thompson:

Mark & I had fun playing an Ag Day event at a historic farm in the Scioto River Valley.  And we made the front page of my hometown newspaper.  :) 

https://www.circlevilleherald.com/news/songs-in-the-shade/image_3155ccf8-58d0-59b2-a695-06594336ba00.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share

That's great, Robin! You two wowed them I'm sure. If I were there I would miss the rest of the event just listening to you two. hi5

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
3 months ago
1,035 posts

Robin, that's way cool!dancecool

I always knew you were a cover girl. grin

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 months ago
987 posts

Hey, Strumelia, I know how to get to Carnegie Hall!  haha

--
Robin T

updated by @robin-thompson: 08/01/18 12:32:45PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 months ago
1,865 posts

Robon, that's great that you had fun- I bet people LOVED your music in the perfect historic farm setting.  Front page?- whoa... don't forget us little humble folk when you are playing at Carnegie Hall... giggle

--
Site Owner

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 months ago
987 posts

Mark & I had fun playing an Ag Day event at a historic farm in the Scioto River Valley.  And we made the front page of my hometown newspaper.  :) 

https://www.circlevilleherald.com/news/songs-in-the-shade/image_3155ccf8-58d0-59b2-a695-06594336ba00.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share

--
Robin T
Bob
Bob
@bob
3 months ago
175 posts

Thanks for the encouragement! I am going with an open mind and dont know what to expect. Folks such as Bing Futch, Judy House, Nina Zanetti,  Dave Haas and some other artists will be teaching. Various famous builders are going to be there as well so I think I may be a bit overwhelmed !

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
3 months ago
228 posts

Bob, I'd be greatly surprised if you don't sell those dulcimers.  They're works of art (and Bob)!

Have fun and make some connections.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
3 months ago
1,035 posts

Have fun, Bob! Make sure you get some of those hard pretzels the area is famous for.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
3 months ago
333 posts

Bob, Have fun in Pennsylvania Dutch country. Hope you sell some dulcimers.

Bob
Bob
@bob
3 months ago
175 posts

I will be at my FIRST dulcimer festival (MD & HD) this coming weekend! It is in Lancaster, PA. I was even invited to put some of my dulcimers at the table of a wonderful vendor who will be there. I am really excited to be going! My wife and 2 kids will be coming and checking out the music as well as sight-seeing all around Lancaster Pennsylvania Dutch land while I meet some notables in the Dulcimer and Folk music world!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 months ago
1,865 posts

Dusty Turtle:

He just keeps the groove going so well and continuously adds new nuances. I've been listening all morning.

That's one of the things I like about oldtime music playing, Dusty.  Oldtime sessions tend to play each tune for a looong time, giving plenty of time for folks to explore personal variations in how to play it.  I got so used to that way of playing that sometimes when I play in other kinds of jams it feels downright strange to quit after only two or three times through a tune... it's like I was just beginning to think of some cool little part to play-- but then it's OVER and everyone's on to the next tune.  surprised

--
Site Owner

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
4 months ago
1,035 posts

I'm just beginning to figure out the traditional tune Julianne Johnson and ran across this really great clawhammer banjo player. He just keeps the groove going so well and continuously adds new nuances. I've been listening all morning.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty-turtle: 07/07/18 11:19:02AM
Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
4 months ago
116 posts

Happy 4th of July to all the friends on FOTMD.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 months ago
1,865 posts

Sandi, how great!  I'm so happy for you.  It's very special when you truly feel good about the one your child chooses to marry.  I'm sure your new DIL is equally happy about her new mother-in-law. flower

--
Site Owner

hugssandi
@hugssandi
4 months ago
248 posts

I am loving perusing through everyone's good news today!  I'd love to add that my oldest son, Allen, is getting married next month.  My DIL is a MIL's DREAM!  I am very excited.  party2

Black Dog Bess
Black Dog Bess
@black-dog-bess
4 months ago
18 posts

Thanks for sharing the good news!  Barb

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
4 months ago
116 posts

Awesome news. So glad to hear that you are healing. Those saws can take a nasty bite when they get angry.

Bob
Bob
@bob
4 months ago
175 posts

Glad that you're on the mend, Jim!

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
4 months ago
228 posts

I'm very happy to hear it!  

I stopped arguing with table saws after one took a small chunk of meat out of my right thumb 40 years ago. 

Gordon Hardy
Gordon Hardy
@gordon-hardy
4 months ago
18 posts

Good news Jim, congratulations!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 months ago
1,865 posts

Jim, that's wonderful news!  joyjoy

--
Site Owner

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
4 months ago
133 posts

Well it's been two weeks since I had my accident with the table saw. Had my follow up appointment with the orthopedic surgeon today and all is well. I only have to keep them bandage when I got out an about, or at night when I go to bed. I Can even hold my noter to play without too much difficulty or pain. 

a373e1ba4d80bbe3e8e4fbd19ea8ae79.jpg

--
Site Moderator
MollieNeuman
MollieNeuman
@mollieneuman
5 months ago
4 posts

This is giving me so positive energy. :)

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
5 months ago
1,035 posts

Every now and then you discover a beautiful song that you should have known long ago.  Here is one. And it would make a great tune for any of you drone players, by the way.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
5 months ago
1,035 posts

About a year ago my wife got me a $100 gift certificate to Just Strings. And $100 goes a LONG WAY when buying strings in bulk.  The good news is that I have lots of strings to last a long while.  The bad news is that I'm on the Just Strings whale list now since they think I'm some super user. I keep getting emails from salesmen wondering why I stopped shopping there and offering incentives to get me back. If they only new I was just an amateur player with a day job and an overly generous wife.

I regularly (as in every few months) change the strings on the instruments I play regularly.  I find new strings to be more pleasant to the fingers, the eyes, and the ears.  But yesterday I got motivated to change the strings on instruments I don't play regularly. I had taken the baritone dulcimer (actually a standard Probst dulcimer that I tune as a baritone) off the wall and was disgusted with and embarrassed by all the grime and grit on the stiff, old strings.  Necessity may be the mother of invention, but disgust and embarrassment can lead to action, too!

And I can't imagine redoing the felt on the chord bars on an autoharp.  My hat's off to you, @val-hughes.  My uncle made my autoharp and he gave me some blank chord bars so I could make up my own chords and add them to the instrument. Just the idea of trying to figure out how to cut the felt makes my head spin.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 months ago
1,865 posts

I hear you Dusty!  One time years ago I sat down one day and put new strings on six of my (5-string) banjos.. that was about 30 strings, with a coffee break in the middle.  Nice to get it done, but... never again!  Since then, I've learned to appreciate the sound of 'vintage' strings more.  giggle  oma

--
Site Owner

Val Hughes
Val Hughes
@val-hughes
5 months ago
26 posts

Dusty I don't play autoharp but I just finished re-felting and re-stringing an autoharp for a friend, never again.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
5 months ago
472 posts

Way to go, DT!  I'm needing strings on 5 guitars and about 7 dulcimers.  Where do you want to put 'em when I bring 'em to you? Oh, and can you have them all done by tomorrow?  LOL...   If I could only get thusly inspired.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
5 months ago
442 posts

I'm VERY impressed.  This is not a skill I have acquired!  I've made some jumbled up messes because a string HAD to be replaced after it broke, but that's about it.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
5 months ago
1,035 posts

I was in a meeting this morning that ended around 12:30, giving me an open afternoon.  Freed from my computer, I put on the David Schnaufer/Butch Baldassari album while I put new strings on my 6- and 12-string guitars, my mandolin, my baritone dulcimer, and both of my octave dulcimers.  That's 35 strings, in case you're counting. happydance My autoharp has about that many strings, which is why I didn't restring that thing! nono  In a few days maybe I'll take on the standard dulcimers.  

Out with the old, in with the new!

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 months ago
624 posts

I had a great week with Norm Williams. He led two workshops on Saturday afternoon, presented a concert on Saturday, and provided special music for our service of worship on Sunday morning. If you ever have the opportunity to listen to Norm play or take one of his workshops, do it. 

Ken

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
6 months ago
254 posts
Dusty, thanks for posting the video of this young lady. Since Lisa said, incredible, I will say, remarkable.

Leaves one to wonder just how many hours of practice and sacrifice of time, it took, to play such an instrument. I struggle with 3 strings.

/ 3