The Positive Thread...

Mary MacGowan
@mary-macgowan
one week ago
14 posts

Ken it sounds like a very special and fun time with Joe Collins!

Mary MacGowan
@mary-macgowan
one week ago
14 posts

Ken Longfield:

Congratulations, Mary! Grandchildren are wonderful.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Hey Ken, thanks! I agree!!!

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
one week ago
527 posts

Our dulcimer group, Shade Mountain Strings, had a wonderful Saturday with Joe Collins. Joe presented four workshops and a late afternoon concert. Our group started the concert with Blessed Assurance and then a medley of Softly and Tenderly/There is A Balm in Gilead. We had 19 participants. There were going to be 23, but four canceled out at the last minute. Usually our capacity is 22 for the facility we use, so we didn't have squeeze together this year.

Ken

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
one week ago
527 posts

Congratulations, Mary! Grandchildren are wonderful.

Ken

Mary MacGowan
@mary-macgowan
one week ago
14 posts

Thanks Dusty! 

How's your son doing? I've been out of the loop for a while now.

Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
one week ago
920 posts
Congratulations, Mary!

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

Ain't no money in poetry; that's what sets the poet free.
I've had all the freedom I can stand.
-- Guy Clark
Mary MacGowan
@mary-macgowan
one week ago
14 posts

Oh boy Strumelia! Thanks so much!!! A new lullaby, great idea ! dulcimer

Strumelia
@strumelia
one week ago
1,830 posts

Congratulations Granny!  babycrawl

He looks so perfect and content... lucky boy!

Waiting for the beautiful new lullaby to be composed...   winker

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Mary MacGowan
@mary-macgowan
one week ago
14 posts

I'm happy and proud to announce the birth of my 6th grandchild, Nathaniel!!! babycrawl Sometimes I cannot believe my good fortune!!! Just call me Grandma Mackie!

IMG_3905.JPG.jpg
IMG_3905.JPG.jpg  •  1.3MB

IMG_3903.JPG.jpg
IMG_3903.JPG.jpg  •  1.2MB

IMG_3894.JPG.jpg
IMG_3894.JPG.jpg  •  1.4MB

Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
4 weeks ago
91 posts

Anybody else coming to Guntersville AL for the dulcimer festival next week? It would be super to meet some of you! But of course I didn't think to order and FOTMD button!! Too excited to think straight.

Strumelia
@strumelia
one month ago
1,830 posts

Salt, I'm amazed at how you hound rounded her up and got her back home!  (perhaps unfortunately for you.)

You're a very good soul to provide a home for that mean kitty.

--
Site Owner

marg
@marg
one month ago
552 posts

My granddaughter just adopted a Harvey rescue pup today. I sure hope she isn't like your cat!

Salt Springs
@salt-springs
one month ago
112 posts

Hurricane Cat...........

I have been the proud owner of one of the most miserable cats ever created for nearly 20 years.  I adopted her from the local shelter in Key West, along with another that was as nice as pie.   This old buzzard turned ornery as soon as I got her home and can lay claim to beating the daylights out of any creature with two or four legs for many years.  When hurricane Irma's eye went through early Monday, that creature ran out the cat door and got hit with a major blast of wind and rain, and blown off the deck and into the brush and woods.  No sign of her all day Monday and none until, I sent my old hound out in the woods with her scent and told him not to come back until he found her early Tuesday morning.  A few hours later he came back in and had rounded up that miserable creature who once again started her nastiness when I tried to pick her up to bring her back to the house.   I had to go get a huge towel, wrap her up in it, climb over and go under vines etc, and got her into the house.   Put her in her basket, gave a her huge bowl of water and let her be. After a while she walked over to me started purring and then bit me and went back to her bed.  I am not sure that this is what we could say was a positive event save for the testimony of a Plott Hound's good nose.

Jan Potts
@jan-potts
one month ago
434 posts

Got to practice some Christmas songs with my dulcimer buddies in Tucson, yesterday.  Lots of fun!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 months ago
527 posts

Sounds like a good idea.

Ken

Strumelia
@strumelia
2 months ago
1,830 posts

Ken that's mighty pretty!  Love the dark colored wood.

The way i put honey in my tea I might be better off using a ladle.. lol!

You should make one that has the honey dipper on one end and a noter for the other end..  bigsmile

--
Site Owner

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 months ago
527 posts

What great news Lisa. No stings. I like that. I spent yesterday in a lathe tuning class and made this. Just the thing to go with your honey.

Ken

IMG_1848.JPG.jpg
IMG_1848.JPG.jpg  •  157KB

Strumelia
@strumelia
2 months ago
1,830 posts

My very positive thing today...

Somehow this morning I managed to pull all 17 medium frames of capped honey from two of my hives today, without getting stung even once, and without the bees all freaking out. 

I thought I was going to be using a fume board and a 3 day ordeal I was prepared for.  I also thought the honey frames were going to be really glued in with propolis and cross-combing.  But once I got in there, the frames were easy to get out and the bees were pretty cooperative.  Used plenty of smoke to drive them down from the honey super into the lower hive, then really quickly removed each frame and brushed the straggler bees off, putting each frame in a waiting super box that was inside a big plastic bag and sitting in my wheelbarrow.  Kept the plastic bag closed between adding each brushed frame of honey, so bees couldn't get back onto the honey frames during my work.  I was able to work quickly and quietly, which is essential when working with bees. (Jim Fawcett knows all of this of course- he's a wise beekeeper!)

Tied up the bags with the supers of capped honey into my basement (where I'll process the honey later), and everything else is left out in the beeyard for the bees to clean up over the next few days, after which I'll put go back and put it all away.  Though it's not as big as my last honey harvest (there were a lot of uncapped frames still with just nectar, which i left out for the bees to clean), I'm guessing I'll get somewhere between 50-60 lbs of honey when all is said and done.  That's enough for us and our grown kids for a year or two.  

So something that I thought was going to take several steps doing  -wound up being quicker and easier than I had anticipated.  And no stings at all today despite my 'robbing' them of their extra boxes of honey.  joyjoy

--
Site Owner

marg
@marg
3 months ago
552 posts

(plays with a spoon)

WOW, thanks for sharing

Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
3 months ago
920 posts

Well this gave a jump start to my mood this morning!  I decided to learn the tune "Mahalla," which I have only heard on the Carolina Chocolate Drops album Leaving Eden.  I wondered whether it was in the public domain or not, but I learned who wrote it: Hannes Coetzee, a South-African guitarist who plays with a spoon in his mouth! Check him out:

--
Site Moderator

-- Guy Clark
dulcinina
@dulcinina
3 months ago
33 posts

Yes, you will love that porch.  Ours was put on in the spring and it's the best investment we ever made in our home.  Morning coffee, meals anytime it suits us and, of course, playing the dulcimer outside.  Dulcinina

Strumelia
@strumelia
3 months ago
1,830 posts

I'm positively looking forward to enjoying our new BIG BEAUTIFUL back screened porch... it's almost finished now and is going to be soooo wonderful for about 3 seasons of the year.   dancetomato  hamster   Can't wait to start having dinner and playing music out there... and mosquito free in the evenings...wooHoooo!

--
Site Owner

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 months ago
1,522 posts

I'm positively happy that I'm making Lobster Tail Bisque this morning!  Last week we were gifted with 4 nice Florida Spiny Lobster tails.  Last week I made Lobster Mac&Cheese with two tails; this week it's our other favorite lobster dish.  

The tails just finished boiling in flavored water for 3.5 minutes, so while they cool I'm telling you about it.  Next step is to brown the shells and then start the broth which will cook for an hour plus!

updated by @ken-hulme: 07/12/17 09:36:54AM
Gail Webber
@gail-webber
3 months ago
93 posts

Yes, Strumelia, I am very lucky to have my Neuhauser.  I think I may have the last, or one of the last Galax dulcimers that he built.  I met him at an interest session about them at KMW in 2015.  I asked what his schedule was on building them and he said "slow to stop".  I asked him if he would please build one for me and he agreed to do mine when he finished one he was building for Kendra Ward.  So, don't know if he built any more after mine or not.  I treasure it.

Strumelia
@strumelia
3 months ago
1,830 posts

Gail, I heard that it was a terrific year for the Kentucky Music Week.  nod

Lucky gal you, owning a Neuhauser!

--
Site Owner

Gail Webber
@gail-webber
3 months ago
93 posts

I had a great time at Kentucky Music Week June 25-30th.  Enjoyed sharing a house with 2 friends from my town along with Jan Potts.  I took some pretty challenging classes from Bill Collins, Nina Zanetti and Tull Glazener.  I will have lots of music to work on for a while!  It was nice seeing Don Neuhauser again.  I met him there in 2015 and he made a Galax dulcimer for me over the next few months.  I'm really glad he made it for me since he is no longer building them.  He said he won't be at the Fiddler's Convention in Galax, Va. next month - he has gone for many years.  It was a busy, but fun, week!

John W. McKinstry
@john-w-mckinstry
4 months ago
31 posts

In the 13th century, Henry Suso, a Dominican Monk wrote a Positive Thread in the form of a prayer. My Anne paraphrased this and set it to a hymn tune. You can hear me singing and playing this in the video section. Here are the words that you might enjoy:  " God, Your Are Like A Wild-Flower"    

God you are like a wild and lovely flower, that's found in places that we least expect.                                                           Sweet colors glow with grace; and charm our path. May we with joy thank you.                                                                      

God, your are like a wild and lovely flower, the we, with yearning, want to pluck and own.                                                    But winds protect by blowing you away. May we with joy thank you.                                                                                        

God, you are like a wild and lovely flower, that cannot be destroyed by stamping out.                                                         You live again; we see you every where. May we with joy thank you.

Strumelia
@strumelia
5 months ago
1,830 posts

Yes i'm a Spoon Lady fan as well!  And she used to be a member of FOTMD several years ago, believe it or not.  I like everyone who makes joyful music without worrying too much about 'norms'.  I also love funky percussion playing, like bones, frame drums, and limberjacks.  In fact, bringing my own anklet rattle and bones to a festival this weekend!  jive  

--
Site Owner

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 months ago
904 posts

https://theloaferonline.com/2017/05/23/abby-spoon-lady-tells-stories-riding-rails-busking/

I'm a fan of Abby the Spoon Lady! 

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
5 months ago
434 posts

So happy you were pleased with your first festival experience!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
5 months ago
91 posts
That should be Wendy Grethen. If you can get here next year, worth the trip!
Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
5 months ago
91 posts
My first festival! Dulcimer Day in Duluth was great!
Whole day in Don Pedi's classes, learning lots and using my noter the entire time. Wendy Gretchen does a marvellous job of organizing. Got to meet Gilbert Matthieu, from Thunder Bay, who did a fabulous job in the open mic.
Christine Shoemaker
@christine-shoemaker
6 months ago
17 posts

I understand that completely, Lexie.  It really was a phenomenal birthday present!  I hope your Mom continues to improve and thrives in her new and safer environment.  I have no doubt that Smiley will help you all with that transition.  sun  

Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
6 months ago
351 posts

Thank you Helen, there is no educational info. about how we are to look after our parents when they age, so I found support and a wonderful Smiley Friend to help.

I heard through the grape vine that Cynthia had a Birthday on May 2.....Happy Birthday Cynthia!

Thank you Helen for your kind words! heart

Helen Seiler
@helen-seiler
6 months ago
157 posts

Happy birthday Cynthia and well done Smiley! Thank you for sharing this with us, you have many many friends here that enjoyed your description of your special day with your mom.

Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
6 months ago
351 posts

Thank you so much Friends, really was a beautiful birthday for us all, like I gave it to Mom, Smiley and the folks for pure joy and love.

It is so amazing to see how Smiley encourages my Mom through her tough battles that have been quite heart breaking for me and he softens everything.

My best gift is that Mom talked to me about her future of moving to a assistant living place where she won't be alone and unsafe. This has been a subject that has caused upset in the recent past, so I was very amazed and happy my Mom choose and was able to talk with me about her plan. I kinda knew she would talk with me about her reality, but couldn't of imagined it would be my birthday gift! grphug

Thank you for your kind thoughts and support, you all really add happiness to my life!

Hugs and Smiles to you! sun

Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
6 months ago
60 posts

Happy Birthday Lexie!!!

I am SOOO glad that your birthday turned out so well!  Your Smiley Friend is the best winker

Thank you for the happy thoughts today!!!

Strumelia
@strumelia
6 months ago
1,830 posts

Lexie, that's so wonderful how you were able to facilitate a day full of joy for your mother, for her PT, for Smiley, for yourself, and for others there at the nursing home as well!  All because of your visit that everyone enjoyed so much.

Dear Lexie,  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!  lovey

cake.jpg

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 05/03/17 09:19:26PM
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
6 months ago
351 posts

I took Smiley Friend to the nursing home my Mom is recovering in today on my birthday and had a wonderful time with Mom.

Mom really enjoys that dog of mine and he is in his element looking after my Mom and visiting other folks. Smiley amazes me how he watches Mom and her therapist during P.T. and when he is walking next to my Mom while she is using her walker. Also he minds so much better than at home. Every one enjoyed Smiley Friend very much. I enjoy watching him as a therapy dog and seeing how happy he is doing it.

I had lunch with Mom and her friends and we all ate cake, it made all of us really happy!

Funny how birthdays I am not looking forward too turn out to be the best. 

Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
6 months ago
920 posts

John W. McKinstry: just as dulcimer's need bridges so too do dulcimer players and builders. 

Well put, John.

--
Site Moderator

-- Guy Clark
John W. McKinstry
@john-w-mckinstry
6 months ago
31 posts

Thanks for sharing my joy, Robin and Strumelia.  Through this experience I learned that  just as dulcimer's need bridges so too do dulcimer players and builders. 

Strumelia
@strumelia
6 months ago
1,830 posts

John W. McKinstry:

Here' a positive thread: I heard from David Lynch through the help of Folkfan of FOTMD. My new dulcimer is on its way.

That's wonderful John!  Looking forward to hearing you play your new dulcimer! dulcimer

--
Site Owner

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 months ago
904 posts

Yay, folkfan!  Dave builds nice instruments-- enjoy, John!  

--
Robin T
John W. McKinstry
@john-w-mckinstry
6 months ago
31 posts

Here' a positive thread: I heard from David Lynch through the help of Folkfan of FOTMD. My new dulcimer is on its way.

Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
6 months ago
60 posts

Wow!  I hadn't been following the fires.....but what a blessing that the pilot survived and is expected to be ok!!!

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 months ago
1,522 posts

OY! I've been following the fires -- fought my share of them up there, 40 odd years back.  Be careful out there!  

Salt Springs
@salt-springs
6 months ago
112 posts

Ken H.......Avoided major brush fire today on Hwy 315 at 212th St..................this is a nasty burn......one aircraft down in the Forest as of 1915 hrs, rescue team on scene and waiting for dozers to get to the location by cutting an access trail, slow work.....patient awaiting removal..........hoping my friends are OK.........all those back roads I travel are shut down and as you know this dry stuff is little more than tinder.  As of 2000 hrs..............pilot expected to be OK..........Marion County Sheriff's helicopter is in Lake......the fact that there was no loss of life on this one is the real positive message with this one............

updated by @salt-springs: 05/02/17 08:07:31PM
Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
6 months ago
91 posts
Will do, Helen. One goal is avoiding over-use injury to shoulder!😁
Helen Seiler
@helen-seiler
6 months ago
157 posts

Have heaps of fun Annie!! pimento

Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
6 months ago
91 posts
Right, Benjamin, it is Wendy, and I will pass on your greetings. I love Duluth, though I think they just got a dump of snow...yikes!
Benjamin W Barr Jr
@benjamin-w-barr-jr
6 months ago
63 posts

Annie-Deeley, I will I was there!  I was born in Duluth, but live here in Maine.  I have many relatives out there.  I am guessing that Wendy Gretchen is still organizing this event.  I've met her a couple of times and played a little bit of dulcimer with her.  She's a far better player than I am.  If you get a chance, say hi.

Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
6 months ago
91 posts

On Friday, I'll be heading to Duluth MN for my first dulcimer festival! Susan Trump and Don Pedi will be there. Sincce Duluth is a day's drive away, I'll have a spring road trip into the bargain! Woohoo!

Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
6 months ago
60 posts

Today was wonderful for a close family friend!  He is a WWII and Korean War veteran.  Today was the 23rd Honor Flight for Northeast Indiana, and he was on it!  They treat the veterans like royalty.  They fly to Washington DC for the day to see the memorials.  They came home tonight to a Hero's Welcome Home!  Can't wait to hear the stories and see pictures!  sun

Bob
@bob
6 months ago
128 posts

Best wishes to you Robert. I still plan to drive down the road to see you and your creations soon!

Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
6 months ago
351 posts

Nice story User; When I was with my Dad in hospice we had a harpist play for us, it was very soothing and beautiful Dad and I enjoyed it so much. Very nice memory we have.

Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
6 months ago
351 posts

Robert, hoping the MRI shows what can be fixed and you be well ya hear!

All the best and those noises are quite obnoxious in MRI machines, we like dulcimer sounds best. dulcimer 

Helen Seiler
@helen-seiler
6 months ago
157 posts

All the best Robert.

Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
6 months ago
60 posts

Userno4 - Those precious moments that you shared with your mother......I truly believe that's the best thing you could have done! 

To have you there, playing an instrument that she loved!

A few years ago I recorded Amazing Grace.  I put a copy on a CD and gave it to my aunt.  My uncle was in hospice at the time.  My aunt said she played Amazing Grace over and over, very quietly.  It gave them a peace that she cherishes to this day.

Thank you for sharing your precious memories! 

Strumelia
@strumelia
6 months ago
1,830 posts

That's a touching story, User.  I remember playing the dulcimer for my mother when she was in the nursing home.  She just loved it.  I'm so glad for you that you were able to make that happen for your mother.

--
Site Owner

UserNo4
@userno4
6 months ago
19 posts

Speaking of medical situations, my mother died in October. OK, that's not positive, but it gets better. I had to travel out of town to see her after the hospital called to say she entered the ICU. I stayed at her place and noticed a dulcimer I had not seen before. (She played both the HD and MD.) I took it to the hospital one day and played it in her room for about 30 minutes. Then, according to the hospital's practice of closing the ICU to visitors at midday, we went to lunch. She passed before we could come back. So aside from various people giving my mom a "we're going to lunch, back later" comment, my modest dulcimer playing was (part of) the last thing she experienced with family.

For months after, I was curious about the origin of the dulcimer. Why did she have a second MD and where did she get it? I eventually found out: She bought it from a friend's husband, whom she tried to teach a few years ago. I wrote him a letter and mentioned that I had played "his" instrument for my mother. I'd like to think he appreciated that, and that she did, as well.

robert schuler
@robert-schuler
6 months ago
251 posts
Thanks Robin & Lisa, I'll be OK. I'm a tough old bird. I was playing a new 1.5 fret model minutes before going down the tube. All I could think of was getting home and playing again.. Robert.
updated by @robert-schuler: 04/24/17 09:58:03PM
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 months ago
1,830 posts

Here's hoping your MRI scan does/helps as it was intended, Robert!

--
Site Owner

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 months ago
904 posts

Oh, Robert, you have surely earned getting to hear the sweet sound!  I hope for a healing touch on you.  

--
Robin T
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
6 months ago
251 posts
After 30 minutes in a MRI machine, I've come to really appreciate the sound of a dulcimer more than ever... Robert...
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 months ago
1,830 posts

Thanks for that wonderful reminder, Salt.

--
Site Owner

Salt Springs
@salt-springs
6 months ago
112 posts

Sometimes we forget how blessed we are and begin to take for granted lots of the good things we have in our lives.   When I returned from making my food pantry rounds this evening I was thinking about what this "ol fat boy" was going to fix for dinner.   Then there was a knock at the door and a man who had lost his job and his young son were standing on the front porch.   He stuttered a bit and teared up.........he had no food for himself or his son...he hated to ask but was desperate and said he did not know what else to do.   My wife and I put together some food, enough to last them for a day or two, gave him some gas money so he could put in an application for workplace down the highway.   We promised that we would help him out in the days ahead.   Why write about this?   Folks, the needs of people struggling to make it are everywhere and those of us who have been blessed can surely pay it forward a bit.   (Do I really need that new McSpadden with the Ebony fret board and Rosewood top that I have been eyeing, when there are hungry and sick folk around?)  So here is the point-  You will never know how much those old tunes, many rooted and grounded in the struggles of days gone by can inspire folk to do the right thing; so keep on strumming and singing... ya'll just might be the people who make the biggest difference in this world whether you know it or not.

updated by @salt-springs: 04/11/17 08:15:35PM
marg
@marg
7 months ago
552 posts

r Palestine, Texas

I am so glad Irene you had a nice time. I went once and would like to go back but on my own I hesitate. I live north of Houston & it is a long day to go & be back in 1 day but it would have been nice to meet you. Maybe we all can plan to met one day.

Jan Potts
@jan-potts
7 months ago
434 posts

Irene, I loved reading your post!  It means that we may actually meet some day, because even though I've never been to the dulcimer festival in Palestine, Texas, it's on my list of ones I'll like to try!  Everyone I know who has ever gone there has had a great time.  Great report!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Strumelia
@strumelia
7 months ago
1,830 posts

Irene,it made my morning to read about how you found out about a festival near you through FOTMD and this led to a wonderful music playing reunion with your brother after all these years..and with your mother's uke as well joining you siblings.  What an uplifting story- I loved reading it!

Every one of us 3,400 members should really pat ourselves on the back for making this site successful and enjoyable.  That includes YOU Irene!  
We also have six generous volunteer site Moderators who keep a watchful eye on things- you can 'meet' the moderators here.  howdy  The "Mod Squad" here not only moderate content when necessary, but they are a wise council giving important feedback when making site decisions.  I don't know what I'd do without them!  yes

--
Site Owner

IRENE
@irene
7 months ago
54 posts

Now is a good time to write my THANK YOU'S.....First to this site!!  Totally wonderful folks post on here and to see so many beautiful instruments.  I've learned how to play better and how to make my instruments better.  I'd not been to any music festival in 10 years (I used to go to harp conventions) and one ad you had here caught my eye.  I called my brother in Tyler, Texas and asked how far Palestine, Texas was from him. He said about 40 miles  drive.  OH WOW....So I sent him the info and he wanted to go too.  WHAT A MARVELOUS AWESOME TERRIFIC.....what other words can I put in here?  WE BOTH TOTALLY LOVED IT.  FANTASTIC music at every concert, classes were great, folks were wonderful.  Over 50 years ago, my brother and I played our folk music together in college...this was the first time attending something like this.....WHAT A BLAST. It will be yearly for us.  He brought our mother's Martin Ukulele....so in a way, she joined us too.  MAHALO everyone for making this site so wonderful and outspreading and enriching to me.  aloha,  irene

Salt Springs
@salt-springs
7 months ago
112 posts

You bet, I got more or less caught up in one of those a few years ago over on HWY 19 near Palatka.........both sides of the highway just went wild in a few minutes.........when that fire started crowning about 50 yards off it was time to get out of there and fast..........I was pretty happy to see the fire crews coming up the highway.   Turned out that that fire was caused by some arsonists who had been lighting the forest up here and there for a week or two.

As of this afternoon the blaze is still going, but contained with triple fire lines........my guess is that there will be some serious damage to the wildlife along the river since it is so overgrown back up there and absolutely chock full of nesting birds.

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 months ago
1,522 posts

Be careful up there, SS!  Back when I was in Forestry School in Lake City, we had a hot-shot crew that fought fires up there.

Salt Springs
@salt-springs
7 months ago
112 posts

As of this evening a 750 acre brush fire is about 60% contained.   Local firefighters and US Forest Service saved 50 homes and out buildings.  It's really dry out here and there is plenty of undergrowth to feed a fire.  This one went from nothing to 500 acres in a just a few hours on Friday and picked up another 250 despite 21 bulldozers, water drops and 20 fire units.  No loss of life or serious injuries reported.

updated by @salt-springs: 04/02/17 12:33:31AM
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
7 months ago
148 posts

Shawn, I agree. Took my Great Dane, Hazel, for a walk down the road a ways this afternoon. Wish I hadn't have worn my flannel shirt.

--
Site Moderator
shawn wright
@shawn-wright
7 months ago
18 posts

A sunny day today which actually makes it feel like Spring is settling in.

/ 2