The Positive Thread...

robert schuler
@robert-schuler
52 minutes ago
234 posts
After 30 minutes in a MRI machine, I've come to really appreciate the sound of a dulcimer more than ever... Robert...
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 weeks ago
1,730 posts

Thanks for that wonderful reminder, Salt.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
2 weeks ago
100 posts

Sometimes we forget how blessed we are and begin to take for granted lots of the good things we have in our lives.   When I returned from making my food pantry rounds this evening I was thinking about what this "ol fat boy" was going to fix for dinner.   Then there was a knock at the door and a man who had lost his job and his young son were standing on the front porch.   He stuttered a bit and teared up.........he had no food for himself or his son...he hated to ask but was desperate and said he did not know what else to do.   My wife and I put together some food, enough to last them for a day or two, gave him some gas money so he could put in an application for workplace down the highway.   We promised that we would help him out in the days ahead.   Why write about this?   Folks, the needs of people struggling to make it are everywhere and those of us who have been blessed can surely pay it forward a bit.   (Do I really need that new McSpadden with the Ebony fret board and Rosewood top that I have been eyeing, when there are hungry and sick folk around?)  So here is the point-  You will never know how much those old tunes, many rooted and grounded in the struggles of days gone by can inspire folk to do the right thing; so keep on strumming and singing... ya'll just might be the people who make the biggest difference in this world whether you know it or not.

updated by @salt-springs: 04/11/17 08:15:35PM
marg
@marg
3 weeks ago
445 posts

r Palestine, Texas

I am so glad Irene you had a nice time. I went once and would like to go back but on my own I hesitate. I live north of Houston & it is a long day to go & be back in 1 day but it would have been nice to meet you. Maybe we all can plan to met one day.

Jan Potts
@jan-potts
3 weeks ago
414 posts

Irene, I loved reading your post!  It means that we may actually meet some day, because even though I've never been to the dulcimer festival in Palestine, Texas, it's on my list of ones I'll like to try!  Everyone I know who has ever gone there has had a great time.  Great report!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 weeks ago
1,730 posts

Irene,it made my morning to read about how you found out about a festival near you through FOTMD and this led to a wonderful music playing reunion with your brother after all these years..and with your mother's uke as well joining you siblings.  What an uplifting story- I loved reading it!

Every one of us 3,400 members should really pat ourselves on the back for making this site successful and enjoyable.  That includes YOU Irene!  
We also have six generous volunteer site Moderators who keep a watchful eye on things- you can 'meet' the moderators here.  howdy  The "Mod Squad" here not only moderate content when necessary, but they are a wise council giving important feedback when making site decisions.  I don't know what I'd do without them!  yes

--
Site Owner

IRENE
@irene
3 weeks ago
42 posts

Now is a good time to write my THANK YOU'S.....First to this site!!  Totally wonderful folks post on here and to see so many beautiful instruments.  I've learned how to play better and how to make my instruments better.  I'd not been to any music festival in 10 years (I used to go to harp conventions) and one ad you had here caught my eye.  I called my brother in Tyler, Texas and asked how far Palestine, Texas was from him. He said about 40 miles  drive.  OH WOW....So I sent him the info and he wanted to go too.  WHAT A MARVELOUS AWESOME TERRIFIC.....what other words can I put in here?  WE BOTH TOTALLY LOVED IT.  FANTASTIC music at every concert, classes were great, folks were wonderful.  Over 50 years ago, my brother and I played our folk music together in college...this was the first time attending something like this.....WHAT A BLAST. It will be yearly for us.  He brought our mother's Martin Ukulele....so in a way, she joined us too.  MAHALO everyone for making this site so wonderful and outspreading and enriching to me.  aloha,  irene

Salt Springs
@salt-springs
3 weeks ago
100 posts

You bet, I got more or less caught up in one of those a few years ago over on HWY 19 near Palatka.........both sides of the highway just went wild in a few minutes.........when that fire started crowning about 50 yards off it was time to get out of there and fast..........I was pretty happy to see the fire crews coming up the highway.   Turned out that that fire was caused by some arsonists who had been lighting the forest up here and there for a week or two.

As of this afternoon the blaze is still going, but contained with triple fire lines........my guess is that there will be some serious damage to the wildlife along the river since it is so overgrown back up there and absolutely chock full of nesting birds.

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 weeks ago
1,432 posts

Be careful up there, SS!  Back when I was in Forestry School in Lake City, we had a hot-shot crew that fought fires up there.

Salt Springs
@salt-springs
3 weeks ago
100 posts

As of this evening a 750 acre brush fire is about 60% contained.   Local firefighters and US Forest Service saved 50 homes and out buildings.  It's really dry out here and there is plenty of undergrowth to feed a fire.  This one went from nothing to 500 acres in a just a few hours on Friday and picked up another 250 despite 21 bulldozers, water drops and 20 fire units.  No loss of life or serious injuries reported.

updated by @salt-springs: 04/02/17 12:33:31AM
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
one month ago
136 posts

Shawn, I agree. Took my Great Dane, Hazel, for a walk down the road a ways this afternoon. Wish I hadn't have worn my flannel shirt.

--
Site Moderator
shawn wright
@shawn-wright
one month ago
18 posts

A sunny day today which actually makes it feel like Spring is settling in.

marg
@marg
one month ago
445 posts

annie,

I hope you & your new dulcimer player have lots of fun playing together

Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
one month ago
73 posts

The other day I introduced a young singer friend to the mountain dulcimer, noter style. She was instantly smitten, picking out little tunes right away, so much fun to see that moment! After awhile we were doing a bang-up job of Scarborough Fair. I was thrilled to be doing this, 2 years almost to the day after my first dulcimer arrived - my first time playing with another dulcimer player!! 

John W. McKinstry
@john-w-mckinstry
one month ago
27 posts

Recently I came across the song: "A-Hunting We Will Go" in Carol Walker's Dulcimer Ditties Book 2. I like the chorus where she helps one to play  the old bugle call they once used in the now banned Fox Hunts in England. In addition to this I came across a discarded book in the library with the title: "Oh, A-Hunting We Go" by Jonn Lonstaff, 1974.  It's a children's book with some great verses made up by children such as: "Oh,a-hunting we will go, A-hunting we will go; We'll catch a beagr, And put him in underwear, And then we'll let him go. The book ends with this verse: "OH, a- hunting we will go, A-hunting we will go; We'll catch a brontosaurus, And put him in a chorus, And then we'll let him go."  I am going to teach this to my dulcimer group. It should be a lot of fun. We'll be playing for some senior citizens soon and I think they will love it too.

Gail Webber
@gail-webber
one month ago
89 posts

It's been a tough time of late for my husband and me.  I find myself pretty much in care taking mode these days.  Thanks to music and my friends (both local and on line) for helping me keep my spirits up!

updated by @gail-webber: 03/14/17 11:54:33AM
Gail Webber
@gail-webber
one month ago
89 posts

Cynthia, happy to hear that you are doing well.  Hope you continue to improve and take those walks!

Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
one month ago
440 posts

Re: ring around the moon.  Remember "The Wreck of the Hesperus?" 

Then up and spake an old Sailor,
Had sailed the Spanish Main,
"I pray thee, put into yonder port,
for I fear a hurricane.

"Last night the moon had a golden ring,
And to-night no moon we see!"
The skipper, he blew whiff from his pipe,
And a scornful laugh laughed he.

You might be in for a blow.  LOL

Jan Potts
@jan-potts
one month ago
414 posts

Cynthia, while you were out looking at the moonlight, I was, too--in New Harmony, Indiana, where the full moon lit up a cold springtime landscape about to be covered in a blanket of snow, come morning.  But the unusual thing was the huge ring around the moon--everybody at my workshop went out in the cold and gawked--it was just that cool looking!   I later found out it's called a 46 degree lunar halo.  I'd often seen the more common 22 degree halo, but this much larger one was truly breath-taking!

I'm glad that you're feeling better and that this part of your life is going right!  Hopefully, other parts will improve, as well!

Be safe during this big winter storm!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke

updated by @jan-potts: 03/14/17 02:34:35AM
Strumelia
@strumelia
one month ago
1,730 posts

Cynthia, how happy I am to read this.    

I bet the spirit of Greta was walking beside you in the silvery moonlight as well.

--
Site Owner

marg
@marg
one month ago
445 posts

cynthia, your walk in the moonlight sounds like a song and I am happy it is all possible for you now.

Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
one month ago
80 posts

If y'all and the chat line and all the music had not been here, I wouldn't even be alive to have had this chance to get better. You saw me through the worst times in my life.

Benjamin W Barr Jr
@benjamin-w-barr-jr
one month ago
65 posts

Hey Vermont, good to hear things are going better.

Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
one month ago
348 posts

That's wonderful for you Cynthia, I am happy you are feeling well enough to go for walks in the moon light.

Bless your heart. heartbeat

Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
one month ago
80 posts

Moonlight in Vermont. Moonlight through the pines, moonlight over the icy lake, moonlight over the fields - just took a 1.5 mile walk in the dark by moonlight with a dear friend - day just dawning as we returned home. This was not possible for me for years until I got a new heart device 6 weeks ago. I'm crying as I write this. It means everything to me.

Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 months ago
874 posts

I just got a new head for my all metal (zinc and chrome) Dixie banjo-uke.  The instrument is pretty old, for most were made in the 1950s, but I was told some elements of this one indicate it's much older than that.  I rescued it from my grandparents attic when I was about 10.  The head was broken on it then, but I convinced a guy at the Music Emporium in Cambridge, MA to put a head on for $10, which was all the money I had at the time, and I had to save up to accumulate that much.  Everything was fine for decades until I moved to California's Central Valley, which in most years is drier than the Serengeti. I left the uke in a closet and when I retrieved it I found the head had turned really brittle and sported a long tear. I finally found someone at Nicholson Music in Folsom (yes, near the prison) who was willing to custom-stretch a skin for me.  Now this baby looks pretty nice and clean, and although it doesn't sound terribly good, it is not terrible, either.  I'm just glad it's back to playable shape.

Dixie banjouke with new head small file rotated.jpg

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

"A good song makes you laugh, it makes you cry, it makes you think."
-- Pete Seeger
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 months ago
874 posts

Jan Potts: In about 10 days I'll be teaching a music theory class at the Ohio Valley Gathering.  This will be the third year I've taught one or more of the workshop sessions and you'd think it would get easier, but I seem to get very stressed out about it every time!  I guess my biggest fear is that I'll get a group who won't understand anything I'm saying and will keep saying "I don't get it" until I want to tear my hair out.  

Jan, so how did your theory class go?  It's true, you probably can't reach everyone, but I'm sure you saw that star in several people's eyes that let you know they just made some kind of connection they never did before.

--
Site Moderator

-- Pete Seeger

updated by @dusty-turtle: 03/05/17 04:03:05AM
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
2 months ago
414 posts

Dusty, I enjoy hearing about your group and this woman sounds like a great addition!  I'm still working with my group on Sat. mornings and look forward to learning some tunes that are new to me that they want to work on.  In about 10 days I'll be teaching a music theory class at the Ohio Valley Gathering.  This will be the third year I've taught one or more of the workshop sessions and you'd think it would get easier, but I seem to get very stressed out about it every time!  In the past I've done Rounds, Composing Harmony Parts, Children's Songs in the key of G with a 1.5 Fret, and now this one on music theory.  It's kind of like a pre-beginner class, since I'm working on increasing understanding of some very basic music fundamentals, hoping it will help make connections in their brains, so that they will then want to take a class like Jim Miller's Music Theory 101, etc.  I've taught the class to individuals and small groups several times, so you wouldn't think it would make me so nervous, but it does!  I guess my biggest fear is that I'll get a group who won't understand anything I'm saying and will keep saying "I don't get it" until I want to tear my hair out.  But I guess if that happens, we'll just play some tunes and forget about fundamental concepts in music theory!  HA!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Alan Thompson
@alan-thompson
2 months ago
2 posts

That is great I am shure she will not regret  taking up the dulcimer wish her all the best from over here in the UK.

Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 months ago
874 posts

I have a few private dulcimer students who meet with me in a small lesson room in a local music store. Earlier today, when one of my lessons concluded, the store owner called me over to meet a woman "of a certain age" who was interested in playing the dulcimer.  She had never played before, but used to play the clarinet, though that was over 70 years ago, she told me!  She hadn't played an instrument since but thinks she would be good at it and wants to learn enough so that she'll sound pretty good when she moves into an elder care facility in a few years.  It turns out she's in her late 80s and has decided to take up the dulcimer!

I encouraged her to come to the monthly gathering I run where I offer a free beginner's lesson and we have loaner instruments available.  Although she's never played, she's done her homework, and has visited both Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer and Everything Dulcimer.  She had even seen some of my videos and was excited to meet someone she had only seen online!

As we talked I learned that her husband had died when she was 79, at which time she decided to take up some hobbies.  The first one was running.  Yes!  In her eighties she began sprinting and supposedly has the third fastest time in the 50-yard dash among seniors in California.  (The person with the second fastest time is younger than she -- by 10 months!).  She competes all over the country, apparently.

My response to all this was to assure her that playing the dulcimer would be far easier than running.  We get to sit down, after all!

It was so cool to meet this woman with so much energy and so much enthusiasm.  She'll make a wonderful addition to our local dulcimer group.

--
Site Moderator

-- Pete Seeger
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
3 months ago
336 posts

Congrats Gail! Can't wait to see and hear it. 

Gail Webber
@gail-webber
3 months ago
89 posts

My new Modern Mountain dulcimer is being shipped to me tomorrow.  I sold a Blue Lion and another Modern Mountain that I had to help pay for this one.  I just could never adjust to the 1.5 and 8.5 frets on the one I had, so David McKinney made me one without those frets.  It is koa with a spruce top and ebony fretboard with a resonator back.  Nice to have something to look forward to on these cold winter days!

Jan Potts
@jan-potts
3 months ago
414 posts

I'm glad our snow held off a day!  Sat. I was busy with my dulcimer group that I mentor--although only one person showed up--and then spent the afternoon at my niece's birthday party--she's four, and the guests were infants up to about the age of 10....21 kids running around inside.  Of course, the parents came, too, but with more than 40 people all inside, it was somewhat chaotic.  So I'm resting today and the snow is falling and the roads are icing up.....not going to be a long event, however, as it will end by tomorrow and then we'll warm up again.  We have flowers up and trees budding because we had so many warm days in January--set a new record for consecutive days above freezing.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
3 months ago
874 posts

Had a great meeting with my regular dulcimer group on Saturday. We hadn't met formally at our regular time at the music store in November or December because of conflicts with the holidays, but it was nice to get started again.  I specifically identified 5 songs for people to play, so everyone was able to prepare. I added a 6th tune on the spot but it was simple enough that everyone was able to get it. We had three new people, one of whom has played a bit but still calls himself a beginner, another two who had never played the dulcimer but have experience with other instruments.  A couple of people who used to be regulars but who hadn't joined in a while also showed up.  THat was nice.

It went really well, and our group playing was the best it's been in a long time.  As I was packing up to leave, one of the fiddle instructors went out of her way to comment that our playing was especially "sonorous" and asked that I make a list of the songs we played.  I promised to do so on Monday, which is the day I teach private lessons there.  One of the tricks was the choice of material.  We didn't play anything too "notey" but stuck with slow and pretty tunes.  All in all a very positive afternoon.  

--
Site Moderator

-- Pete Seeger
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
3 months ago
414 posts

Cynthia, I often wonder how you're doin'....sorry to hear there have been in for surgeries...I  hope you're hunkered down and warm these days!  Sounds very tranquil where you are...

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
3 months ago
80 posts

Ha! Just playing Pink Floyd, on a faster tune a flock of turkeys zoomed into my view, one spun around facing backwards on the beat, then forward again on the next beat. I wish I had a video of it for you. Made it through another operation this week - I've been knocked out so many times they don't dare put me under anymore, but yet, here I am, as the friend who drove me said, still on the right side of the sod. Mystical evening light and clouds all over the mountains, my dog still here, in my world it doesn't get any better than this. Grateful in Vermont. Oh, the turkeys slowly walked away to Wish You Were Here.

marg
@marg
3 months ago
445 posts

Helen,

Oh, my how wonderful (lovely Epinette and a equally nice Tennessee Music Box...)

How amazing this person is and how thrilled you had to be. I can't wait to see them. 

Enjoy

Bee Lick Farm
@bee-lick-farm
3 months ago
35 posts

Helen Seiler:...wonderful gifts from an Australian luthier...

If that's the same guy that I'm thinking of, he truly is a gift himself, to the dulcimer community. What you describe does not surprise me at all. Karma is a very powerful thing, and that guy is racking up karma brownie points like a mad man.

That's the nicest thing I've heard or read all day @helen-seiler

My esteem for that gentleman just went into high orbit, thank you so much for sharing this. 

- Tony

Strumelia
@strumelia
3 months ago
1,730 posts

Helen Seiler:

I received two wonderful gifts from an Australian luthier i know (who might not want to be fully named). I came home a little while back to find a large box on my verandah. In it were a lovely Epinette and a equally nice Tennessee Music Box... Richard had them spare and wanted them to go to a good home where they would get played and kindly thought of me. I love them both and was blown away by his generosity.

Oh my gosh Helen!  That's just so amazing and wonderful!  
I know you will play and enjoy them to the fullest.

--
Site Owner

Helen Seiler
@helen-seiler
3 months ago
157 posts

I received two wonderful gifts from an Australian luthier i know (who might not want to be fully named). I came home a little while back to find a large box on my verandah. In it were a lovely Epinette and a equally nice Tennessee Music Box... Richard had them spare and wanted them to go to a good home where they would get played and kindly thought of me. I love them both and was blown away by his generosity.

Helen Seiler
@helen-seiler
3 months ago
157 posts

Salt, you are a wonderful human being.. very inspiring. Keep up the great work you do.

Salt Springs
@salt-springs
4 months ago
100 posts

Sometimes people make the assumption that life is made up of odd events that are categorized as, "co-incidents."  And, I admit that some things that seem to happen are co-incidental, but on the other hand events often occur that can not be put on the stack of histories that are, co-incidental.  Let me explain.   The past few weeks have been really busy for a few of us that work distributing food to many of the less fortunate out here in the Ocala National Forest. This forest is about 380,000 acres in size and is filled with hundreds of trails, encampments and out of the way places where lots of folk live.  For the majority out here, living is difficult and just getting by is the norm.  A few of the churches have food pantries and do whatever they can to help.   One little church between Orange Springs and Interlachen provides a free lunch 5 days a week and serves between 80-100 meals per day.  I do my best to make sure that they have bread and various things that I manage to glean from other ministries in about three counties.

The past month has been difficult and despite it being a holiday season excess foodstuffs were somewhat hard to obtain for those ministries, but for whatever reason me and my faithful co-conspiritor have been blessed with an abundance of food to give out......you could  say in a miraculous way.

During December my partner and I distributed 4,000 lbs of chicken, 2,000+ loaves of bread, melons, 300 bags of lettuce, oranges, apples and a vast conglomeration of pies and cakes, potato's, caned goods galore and all sorts of misc. stuff.  It just kept coming.........I was even given a new Bicycle to give to a boy who probably would have had a very sparse Christmas.  We also received a large assortment of clothing that we sent to Haiti via, truck, aircraft and cargo ship through another ministry.  Excess goods and distribution centers closed for the holidays blessed our work....I was even able to buy a half pallet of candy and "junk food", for next to nothing.  My wife sent 200 boxes of Christmas gifts overseas in December and a score of people helped fill many of them.  I did not think it would happen, but it did.

But all of that is not the point at all........the point is that the real miracles occurred in the timing...........everything we were able to obtain came at precisely the right time.  Today, I got called to pick up another van load of bread........yesterday's was more or less routine, today was an exception in that it was mostly dinner rolls.  When I got to the soup kitchen in Interlachen I asked if they needed bread........it turned out that they had a crowd waiting to be fed and had very little on hand...........they said they needed dinner rolls for their Sloppy Joe's and had just a few on hand.........well, I had 300 dozen that I gave them.  One elderly lady said, they had been praying that morning for food for the week, well I had been given it and when I loaded it had no idea what to do with it or where to take it.  The whole event just seemed perfectly orchestrated.  In return they asked if I could use boxes of MRE's, absolutely and guess what, got two cases out to a family with no food and no electricity or gas this evening and still have six cases of them.   As I was leaving church another lady told me that there were several families living under a bridge that crosses the Ocklawaha River, which is a bad news place, gators, water moccasins and some bad dudes frequenting the area.........tomorrow I'll find them if at all possible and they will have hot food until I can find something else for them.

Here is the point............you have to believe and always have faith, no matter what your situation........and keep believing until that faith brings results. Do not let yourself get discouraged.....I know how easy it is to do just that,...just keep believing and watch and wait.

Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
4 months ago
278 posts

Thanks Strumelia, Ken and Sam! It sure made Christmas more special. I hope to be able to pass it down to my daughter some day. I heard a story about a Christmas cactus that is 145 years old which has been passed down from generation to generation. 

Sam
@sam
4 months ago
230 posts

That's a really nice Christmas Cactus Patty and your photo is super. Very sharp and clear. 

--
A strum is just a smile turned upside LOUD!
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 months ago
501 posts

Wow, nice blooms and a great Christmas present. Thanks for sharing the photo Patty.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Strumelia
@strumelia
4 months ago
1,730 posts

Patty, that's such an especially pretty Christmas cactus!

--
Site Owner

Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
4 months ago
278 posts

My mom's Christmas cactus bloomed for Christmas!

DSC01470r.jpg
DSC01470r.jpg  •  192KB

Sam
@sam
4 months ago
230 posts

Jan Potts:

Thanks, Sam!  That's so nice of you!

And here's my positive for today:  I am positive there will be some good times with great music and kind friends in 2017!  Let's all try to make that happen!

Deal ! thumbsup

--
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
4 months ago
414 posts

Thanks, Sam!  That's so nice of you!

And here's my positive for today:  I am positive there will be some good times with great music and kind friends in 2017!  Let's all try to make that happen!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Sam
@sam
4 months ago
230 posts

Jan, can't thank you enough for your kind comments on my photos. In answer, no, I don't sell photos. A local outfitter contacted me personally once and offered me a very good price to use three photos, one time only, with no claim of ownership. I couldn't refuse, especially since they gave me credits in the periodical. 

I have also, upon request, donated prints to our local Hinton Area Foundation, a non profit that works tirelessly here to help needy individuals. The prints are auctioned at an annual wine and cheese event. They have been very complimentary of my work and I get the great feeling of contributing to a great cause.

If you see anything you particularly like, you have my permission to snag it for your own use. 

Funny story ... a distant cousin once sent me some photos of a huge snow storm that turned our city streets into a Currier and Ives scene. He was so happy to find the photos of 'his' old home town and wanted to share them with me ............. I'm the one that took them!  :)

(There was going to be a comment on the condom one about some one skinning trouser rats, didn't want to offend anyone) (( It IS a nature site called Awenaturale after all ))

--
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
4 months ago
414 posts

Sam, do you sell your photos? I wish my mom could have seen those!  She would have loved going through the bird photos, especially, telling us what each one was and how you could best identify it and what they ate and where they were most often found...and anything else she could remember about them or where she last spotted one.  But ALL are treasures (except maybe the condom one, and that does, indeed make its point with the spilled seed) and deserve a wider audience.

Marg, I enjoyed your ornament story so much I shared it with his husband and he was really touched, too!  He especially liked the small red heart in the center.  What a wonderful thing to get back after many years in the parallel universe of someone else's attic!

Thanks for giving me a great start to my day!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Sam
@sam
4 months ago
230 posts

Thanks Patty and Marge. So happy I could share the photos with you!

--
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 months ago
501 posts

That is wonderful, Marg. What a special Christmas!

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

marg
@marg
4 months ago
445 posts

Nice photos, I also enjoy taking photos of the herons on the pond or beautiful sunsets. 

Side note: I had two nieces pass by late last night on their way camping. They carried with them an old Christmas Treasure, an orament my husband made for his parents more than 25 years ago lost in their mother's attic. It is a nesting ball, each ball with a different image painted down to the smallest red one with a heart. Each insides has our names on it, half -  my husband, me and each of the 4 children. I feel it's like my kim sending his love in A special Christmas Gift 

IMAG0130 (1).jpg
IMAG0130 (1).jpg  •  1.3MB

IMAG0129.jpg
IMAG0129.jpg  •  1.6MB

Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
4 months ago
278 posts

Sam, those are beautiful pictures!!!

Benjamin W Barr Jr
@benjamin-w-barr-jr
4 months ago
65 posts

A fantastic photo.

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 months ago
1,432 posts

I guess it's positive -- we had the hottest Christmas Day on record here in Fort Myers  -- 88F,  that's 31C for the rest of the world!

Sam
@sam
4 months ago
230 posts

Jan Potts:

I hope everyone clicks on Sam's photo of the evergreen, which will take you to a treasure trove of his wonderful photographs!

Why thank you Jan, what a nice thing to say. Along with the dulcimer, I'm very fortunate to have two other passions that work so well together, hiking and taking a few nature shots with my camera. 

--
Sam
@sam
4 months ago
230 posts

Helen Seiler:

Merry Christmas Sam... what a beautiful photo.

Thank you Helen. It's a black pine on an island where Gracie, my pooch, and I often walk.

--
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
4 months ago
414 posts

I hope everyone clicks on Sam's photo of the evergreen, which will take you to a treasure trove of his wonderful photographs!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

/ 2