@hugssandi
5 months ago
178 posts

*WELCOME SHERRI!*

Nytngale
@nytngale
5 months ago
1 posts

Hi! My name is Sherri and I am new to fotmd.  I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new dulcimer from Blue Lion this coming week. I placed acoustic guitar many years ago and originally heard my first dulcimer music at a folk art show about 25 years ago. I always wanted to play and just never could find the time as I spent much of my younger adult life working and completing my education. I'm now at a point in my life where I have a bit more time. My mother and brother are both musicians - brother plays guitar and mother played lap and pedal steel. Mom passed in March at the age of 92 and I decided there was no better way to keep her memory alive than through music and I chose to use a bit of my inheritance to launch my interest in playing dulcimer. I look forward to learning from those with experience on the forum!

updated by @nytngale: 10/23/16 06:36:46PM
Lynne Gill
@lynne-gill
7 months ago
7 posts

paulscottrobson:

I'm new as well, have just bought my first MD after thinking about it for ages, having tinkered with a Strumstick type device. At the moment still at the "Go and tell Aunt Nancy" (what you folks across the water call "Go tell Aunt Rhody" ... we have an extra half-beat on you there ....)

It's a small world, I'm from Norfolk, England as well. I'm semi retired now ; I used to teach children with Special Needs (of varying types .....) and I now write Computer Software occasionally, contract work. 

I'm currently working on a (free definitely open source probably) visual TAB player for Dulcimers to help me learn, basically you feed TAB and/or Chords into it plus some timing data and it plays it back at you showing the TAB,  you can change the speed etc. If you've ever used Yousician, a bit like that, except there's no audio detection of what you're playing. 

I think we have definitely got to arrange a Meet in …if not Norfolk, then East Anglia, that's 4 of us I know learning mountain dulcimer from these parts (One from Cambridge.) I joined Nonsuch so we could contact through the club.

paulscottrobson
@paulscottrobson
7 months ago
1 posts

I'm new as well, have just bought my first MD after thinking about it for ages, having tinkered with a Strumstick type device. At the moment still at the "Go and tell Aunt Nancy" (what you folks across the water call "Go tell Aunt Rhody" ... we have an extra half-beat on you there ....)

It's a small world, I'm from Norfolk, England as well. I'm semi retired now ; I used to teach children with Special Needs (of varying types .....) and I now write Computer Software occasionally, contract work. 

I'm currently working on a (free definitely open source probably) visual TAB player for Dulcimers to help me learn, basically you feed TAB and/or Chords into it plus some timing data and it plays it back at you showing the TAB,  you can change the speed etc. If you've ever used Yousician, a bit like that, except there's no audio detection of what you're playing. 

Alison
@alison
7 months ago
4 posts

Thank you Strumelia, I hadn't noticed that group so have now requested access thumbsup

Strumelia
@strumelia
7 months ago
1,700 posts

We also have a dedicated Group here on FOTMD where UK members can stay updated on local events and make new friend and local jamming connections! :  http://fotmd.com/john-henry/group/41/uk-and-european-mountain-dulcimers   dancetomato  fiddle  jive

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Alison
@alison
7 months ago
4 posts

Lynne Gill:Hi Alison - see my introductory post above! I'm new too and live in Norfolk UK - there ARE quite a few dulcimer players in England bit they are few and far between. I joined the Nonsuch club - google them - and they seem a very friendly bunch, many of them on this forum also. I'm a raw beginner myself but love the sound of the mountain dulcimer.

Hiya Lynne, I'm up the top end of Cheshire so a fair way from you but it's nice to know there are a few of us about.  A friend of mine who lives near Norwich went to the workshops with me and is interested in getting a dulcimer at some point so maybe Norfolk will be the UK hub!  She currently plays a lot of ukulele so is at least more used to strings than me.  I've joined the Nonsuch Facebook forum but not looked about much, it's all very new.  Have seen they seem to do meet ups though which could be good and the northern ones look based in my region.  Fun isn't it?

Alison
@alison
7 months ago
4 posts

Ken Hulme:

Alison -- being on that side of The Pond, you'll want to get to know Robin Clark, who is a member here. He lives up in Snowdonia, Wales, and has a company called Bird Rock Dulcimers.  Robin is extremely knowledgeable about dulcimers as well as guitars.   He is importing dulcimers made here, some built specifically to his design.  His website is

http://www.dulcimers.co.uk  or you can call him on   +44 (0)1654 712671

Yes, I've met Robin as he was one of the guys doing the workshops.  I didn't buy the dulcimer off him but have looked at his site as I picked up his card.  He's not actually that far from me as I can drive into North Wales in just over half an hour so it's worth remembering gor the future.  At the moment I'm mainly practising basic technique using 2 or 3 simple songs I know but am hoping to build on this and am already seeing some progress.  Finding it good stress relief after a long day at work.

Lynne Gill
@lynne-gill
7 months ago
7 posts

Alison:

Hello, I'm very new to all this.  Did an introductory workshop last weekend and ended up buying a second hand Cedar Creek hourglass dulcimer.  Not played any instruments since my parents sold the family piano when I was about 17 so well over half a life time ago!  Although I'd love to play the piano again I don't have the space and it's not portable.  Have friends who play a variety of instruments but haven't been able to join in.  Wasn't sure what to try and have toyed with a number of instruments but felt the dulcimer would be a great option.  It has a reputation for being easy to pick up basic playing, highly portable and here in England is rare enough that it'll always be a conversation point as hardly anybody has heard of them.  On the down side, their rarity also means that there aren't many places that deal with them either.

Hi Alison - see my introductory post above! I'm new too and live in Norfolk UK - there ARE quite a few dulcimer players in England bit they are few and far between. I joined the Nonsuch club - google them - and they seem a very friendly bunch, many of them on this forum also. I'm a raw beginner myself but love the sound of the mountain dulcimer.

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 months ago
1,395 posts

Alison -- being on that side of The Pond, you'll want to get to know Robin Clark, who is a member here. He lives up in Snowdonia, Wales, and has a company called Bird Rock Dulcimers.  Robin is extremely knowledgeable about dulcimers as well as guitars.   He is importing dulcimers made here, some built specifically to his design.  His website is

http://www.dulcimers.co.uk  or you can call him on   +44 (0)1654 712671

Txsckb
@txsckb
7 months ago
2 posts

Welcome!  This a very helpful community and a good place to get your questions answered.  I also have a Cedar Creek dulcimer that looks just like yours but I built it from a CC kit.  I live in Branson Missouri not far from the CC retail store.  They were very enthusiastic about helping me during the build process and will be happy to help you as well.  Just drop them an e-mail and I think you will find them very responsive.  Enjoy your dulcimer!!

Linda Boies
@linda-boies
7 months ago
14 posts

Welcome Alison! Your dulcimer is beautiful! I used to play piano too. I've been learning the dulcimer for about a year. It really is great to have a more portable instrument. So many resources too for us to learn. Have fun!

Alison
@alison
7 months ago
4 posts

Hello, I'm very new to all this.  Did an introductory workshop last weekend and ended up buying a second hand Cedar Creek hourglass dulcimer.  Not played any instruments since my parents sold the family piano when I was about 17 so well over half a life time ago!  Although I'd love to play the piano again I don't have the space and it's not portable.  Have friends who play a variety of instruments but haven't been able to join in.  Wasn't sure what to try and have toyed with a number of instruments but felt the dulcimer would be a great option.  It has a reputation for being easy to pick up basic playing, highly portable and here in England is rare enough that it'll always be a conversation point as hardly anybody has heard of them.  On the down side, their rarity also means that there aren't many places that deal with them either.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg  •  501KB

Lynne Gill
@lynne-gill
7 months ago
7 posts

Hello Everyone! I'm Lynne, a retired Paediatric Nurse and Health Visitor. I'm from England, and I bought a very cheap dulcimer about 3 years ago which I never touched (Domestic stuff, elderly mum, 2 successive broken hips, Alzheimers and into a Care Home, not much time for learning a new instrument!) I play fiddle and D/G melodeon, but am so taken with the sound of the mountain dulcimer I'm determined now to set off on the journey in earnest. 

I signed up to join the UK dulcimer group Nonsuch and hope to be joining them for their weekend retreat in October; until then I am flinging myself upon the charity of an acquaintance (soon to become a friend I'm sure) to get me started. However, I really do need a decent dulcimer so need to explore the how-to-go-about-sourcing one in this country.

I think I'll probably start by learning with the noter, but really want to play chords and 'finger dancing'. It all looks so easy, doesn't it, watching those videos! Deceptively so! 

Wish me luck as I dive in.

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 months ago
178 posts

HI y'all!  I am sandi, and I was very active on dulcimer sites while learning after I first got my dulcimer in 2003.  The help and companionship of dulcimer friends online has always been AMAZING.  I have a Walnut Creek from Craggy Mountain Music that I bought sight unseen after learning about the mountain dulcimer, all because of the very kind Beverly who was so wonderful on the phone when I called.  :)  My goal was to have hymn sings with visitors to my home, as I so loved our Pastor's wife getting us around the piano whenever we visited her.  :)

I am a homeschooling mama with six children, so I had some years in there where my dulcimer was tucked away.  I have always wanted to play more but didn't know how to fit it in.  Now maybe I'm needing it?  LOL!  My current plan is to purchase a custom (Wren?) from Feather Dulcimers, and I am very excited.  I always wanted BIGGER and LOUDER to play in groups, but the practicality of a small instrument to store and pull out and travel with is now very, very appealing.  

That's it, I think!  I'm so happy to be back among you!

ETA that I'm dying to master this instrument.  It's simplicity has always appealed to me, but there is also much to master and grow with for the rest of your life should you want to.

updated by @hugssandi: 08/04/16 09:03:03AM
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 months ago
1,395 posts

Welcome to our corner of musical Paradise.  You may be interested in the article I wrote several years ago and recently updated, called I Just Got A Dulcimer, Now What?  It's an illustrated glossary of dulcimer terms plus answers to many of the beginner questions about tuning, playing, care and feeding of your new friend.  Here's the revised edition.

kb9jlo
@kb9jlo
8 months ago
6 posts

Txsckb:

Hello everyone and thanks for the warm Welcome!  I recently moved from San Antonio TX to Branson MO and have been looking for a way to meet people and make new friends.   Out of curiosity and because I love music I signed up for a dulcimer class.  Oh my gosh--I found a new passion--the mountain dulcimer!!!  I promptly bought a dulcimer kit from Cedar Creek Dulcimer Shop here in Branson and am almost finished with it.  Going to the shop tomorrow to get help with stringing and tuning.  Since I love to work with my hands, it has been a great experience to build the kit.  I hope to meet some of you at a music festival in the not too distant future.

I too have a Cedar Creek Dulcimer kit. I love it. It was so much fun building it. I wish I could build them all the time.

Txsckb
@txsckb
8 months ago
2 posts

Hello everyone and thanks for the warm Welcome!  I recently moved from San Antonio TX to Branson MO and have been looking for a way to meet people and make new friends.   Out of curiosity and because I love music I signed up for a dulcimer class.  Oh my gosh--I found a new passion--the mountain dulcimer!!!  I promptly bought a dulcimer kit from Cedar Creek Dulcimer Shop here in Branson and am almost finished with it.  Going to the shop tomorrow to get help with stringing and tuning.  Since I love to work with my hands, it has been a great experience to build the kit.  I hope to meet some of you at a music festival in the not too distant future.

Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 months ago
405 posts

Hey, Boo!  (Sorry....I couldn't resist).  It's great having you join us and I hope you'll find us a fun, helpful bunch.  I have a Ginger that I really like. It was especially helpful when I was first learning chords.  I've never been to Mountain View, but I hope I can go some day.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Boo
@boo
9 months ago
1 posts

Aloha everyone!  Nice to be here on fotmd... I am VERY new to this instrument; was vacationing in Arkansas one month ago and visited Mountain View. Wandered into The Dulcimer Shop - and you can guess what happened.  Fell in LOVE with the sound! Of course bought one.  Just to let you know how new I am to the dulcimer -- I had no idea the "ginger" dulcimer I picked up was not the 'standard' size!  lol... oh well :)  Haven't had too much time to settle in and "learn" with my chord book and the different learning materials I picked up, but have had my hands on the instrument every day, noodling around, getting comfortable.  I'm actually a singer-songwriter,  play acoustic guitar and lean toward pop/rock. The helpful woman at the DS suggested that I would like Bing Futch -- and yup, just my cup of tea!  Let's see, what else... I live in Naperville, IL and am originally from Hawaii.  Looking forward to learning and growing with this instrument, and being part of this online community! Hugs, Kim-Char (aka Boo)

updated by @boo: 06/24/16 07:14:19PM
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
10 months ago
434 posts

Well, Linda, I used to live in Salisbury, and if I still did I'd volunteer to re-string it for you.  Pegs aren't as bad as some folks make 'em out to be.  I wouldn't change a thing on the Tignor.  In his later period he used store-bought violin pegs, but he still carved pegs for some of them.  I've never used peg dope on a dulcimer.  I either spit on 'em or use chalk  ROFL.  Moistening them lightly will make them swell a little and stop most slipping; chalk is a great lubricant if they are sticky.  

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
10 months ago
1,395 posts

There are  number of Youtube vids on how to use wooden tuners that you can follow.  IIRC DanC has posted one or more.  There are products called Peg Drops which will help with slipping tuners.  Old time remedies included a few strokes with a piece of chalk or a bar of soap on the shaft.

My article I Just Got A Dulcimer, Now What?  has a section on stringing/re-stringing.  You want to remove/replace one string at a time.

Linda Boies
@linda-boies
10 months ago
14 posts

Rob N Lackey:

Yeah, Linda, get than Tignor down and re-string her.  As the proud owner of 2 Tignor's I think they are really underrated by a lot of folks.  They are great players, at least mine are, for whatever style you like to play.  

I would like to hear what it sounds like! I've been putting it off because those wooden pegs and restringing is intimidating the newbie in me. I've thought about taking it somewhere to have them look at it. I tried messing with the old strings and it seems like the pegs are slipping. I don't know if it is because of the pegs or the old old strings. I really don't want someone changing the tuners just because it's easier.  

Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
10 months ago
434 posts

Yeah, Linda, get than Tignor down and re-string her.  As the proud owner of 2 Tignor's I think they are really underrated by a lot of folks.  They are great players, at least mine are, for whatever style you like to play.  

Strumelia
@strumelia
10 months ago
1,700 posts

Hi Linda, welcome!

Hey you might want to re-evaluate that Tignor- some folks collect them and if it's in decent shape it could be a good player!

I hear you about the too-many-hobbies/interests thing.  krazyhair

--
Site Owner

Linda Boies
@linda-boies
10 months ago
14 posts

Hi everyone! I just joined the site and am excited to have been welcomed so warmly. There seems to be a lot of good stuff and nice folks on the site.

My name is Linda Boies. I live in Maryland. I just bought my first dulcimer November 2015. Going through a midlife awakening and wanting to do something different.

When I was young, I played piano. Always loved music. But physical limitations over the past few years with shoulder issues made some instruments impossible for me. I knew of the mountain dulcimer because my parents bought one in the 1970s. I clearly remember my dad introducing us to it. I was allowed a few strums. Having no experience with strumming before, I can imagine it was horrible. Neither of my parents had experience, nor did they ever try to learn. After those couple strums, the dulcimer was taken away to be put on a wall and never played again. That dulcimer is a John Tignor, still on the wall, with the original strings disintegrated on it. Such a shame.

So, I bought my first dulcimer from a Virginia luthier. Absolutely beautiful and from the first strum I fell in love. Since then, I've gotten a baritone from the same luthier and a tiny travel dulcimer from a luthier in Florida.

There are not very many teachers in Maryland. I have attended two workshops and am supplementing by online classes. Looking forward to my first weekend workshop in July!

I think I will eventually gravitate to fingerpicking.  Strumming still seems very foreign to me.  Not sure if it's because of so many years of piano, but the strum just doesn't feel "right". 😁

Looking forward to making some dulcimer loving friends. My other interests are knitting, reading,  and travel (mostly local now). I used to love to geocache and dance (middle eastern), but had to put those on hold for a while due to medical issues. Getting older sucks!  Hopefully I'll get back to those hobbies after replacement parts and body overhauls are complete. LOL! 😁

updated by @linda-boies: 06/02/16 09:59:50PM
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
1,700 posts

Say howdy here to us all, and tell us a little about yourself!

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 03/04/17 06:45:12PM