Healthy Living- healthy eating, exercise, weight loss, veggie gardening, etc.

hugssandi
@hugssandi
6 months ago
178 posts

Beach pics have a way of making you see what you don't wanna.  :(  This morning I did a 20-minute, PowerFit Harmony workout.

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 months ago
178 posts

I see there is not much activity here, as we head into August!  I am needing a KICK in the pants, as I truly need to take my health back.  I have ideas and plans, but I truly think I'll be most successful after weaning my toddler in a few months....

Ryan PA
@ryan-pa
last year
5 posts

My wife and I might be doing the elimination diet in April.  If you ever have expected food allergies this diet is one that can help you figure out what your allergic to.  One note it seems as it is going to be a bit challenging for us.

D. Chitwood
@d-chitwood
last year
114 posts

I'm cutting back on all sweets and watching portions. Trying to eat super nutritious things that fill me up. For breakfast, after my coffee of course, I had a whey protein smoothie made with plain greek yogurt, frozen banana, raw cocoa, almond milk and powdered peanut butter.

I used to lift weights every other day but once that habit stops, it's SO hard to get it back. I loved having firmer arms and all so I need to do it. Going 3x per week is fantastic Strumelia! 

Strumelia
@strumelia
last year
1,700 posts

Mid-winter cold and grey...craving some fresh grown greenery but certainly no early gardening possible yet.

A few years ago I had been doing a lot of growing edible sprouts in my kitchen, and last month I started back up doing it again.  It's both fun and uplifting in the middle of winter to see the jars and containers of little sprouts growing.  Compared to buying lettuce and greens (or even sprouts) at the supermarket, home grown sprouts are not only way more nutritious, but incredibly cheap- I find that a one pound, $12 package of alfalfa seed will produce around 100-150 cups of sprouts.  

It's actually enjoyable to 'tend' them twice a day with a fresh water rinse/drain right in their jars, like having miniature greenhouses growing on your kitchen counters.  pimento  

After about 4 or 5 days they are ready to rinse in a large bowl to skim off the empty hulls, and put into the refrigerator for eating!  Sometimes they don't even make it to the fridge... Brian has to be scolded about eating an entire batch at one time as a big salad...hey, leave some for me!  For the past several weeks I have about 5 jars going at a time with different seeds at various stages.

Here is a bag full of mung bean sprouts.  And also shown: a mere 2 tablespoons of alfalfa seed will produce 4 cups of yummy fresh sprouts...

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
1,395 posts

Thanks DT.  I've got well over a year's worth of good eating there.

I have thought about candied walnuts, and they would counter the bitterness, it's true.  And using a good amount of a contest sponsor's products is always a good thing.  That first go 'round I was using as much stuff as I could from what I had on hand, rather than buying all new ingredients.  All I needed to buy was the mandarin.  I guess some candied walnuts won't break the bankpunch

updated by @ken-hulme: 07/24/15 06:52:13AM
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 years ago
858 posts

Ken Hulme:
Lady Sally wants to lose some weight (like most of us), and she's asked me to create 400 calorie or less, healthy, filling dinners for her, and then post them on my weekly food blog.  New posts every Monday: http://foodingaround-kiltedcook.blogspot.com   This week there were three good choices.

Ken, was just reading through some of the recipes you posted. Definitely made me hungry.  Lady Sally is lucky to have you catering (literally) to her desires.

One thought: if you find the walnuts in the Waldorf Failure to be too bitter, perhaps you could use candied walnuts. It might mean less apple or mandarin or other of the sweet stuff, but it would be a way to increase the use of one of the required ingredients. Just a thought.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

"A good song makes you laugh, it makes you cry, it makes you think."
-- Pete Seeger
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
1,395 posts

Lady Sally wants to lose some weight (like most of us), and she's asked me to create 400 calorie or less, healthy, filling dinners for her, and then post them on my weekly food blog.  New posts every Monday: http://foodingaround-kiltedcook.blogspot.com   This week there were three good choices.

Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
1,700 posts

Wow, June was so hot that for the first time ever, our backyard blueberry harvest is now overlapping with our garden tomato season.  sarcasm

Today I made a big blueberry pie AND picked several gigantic ripe red and yellow tomatoes.  I think we may have another 10 days of blueberries or so.  Spent an hour and a half working my way along the rows pulling up weeds in the vegetable garden.  Probably three more days of the same to finish that round.  The bending is tough, but I find kneeling is worse.  sigh....then you blink and the weeds are all back again...lol.
For lunch I had two fresh thick sliced tomato sandwiches with mayo and onions.  Bought some bacon so we can start making BLTs tomorrow... drool

--
Site Owner

Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
2 years ago
333 posts

Blueberries are anti-oxidants. giggle2

The member
@the-member
2 years ago
2 posts

Does blueberry pie count as healthy?   lol

Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
2 years ago
134 posts

Hey here is something that is not too bad for the diet. Bev (my wife) made a rhubarb/strawberry sauce that goes over cake. five cups of rhubarb a package of fresh strawberry's (we added the strawberry's for color because we have green rhubarb) a little bit of honey. Very tart and very tasty if you like rhubarb, this is right up your ally.

P.S. you can leave out the cake if you want to.

?width=721

--
Site Moderator
Babs Greene
@babs-greene
2 years ago
130 posts

At the moment, I'm working around a "tweaked" shoulder, though I have no idea how I did it, just one of those strange things; however, today I managed to do some overhead press work but with a lighter loadthan normal.

Something is always better than nothing, though not always possible. I'm trying to get back in to the swing of my workouts,slowly but surely.

Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
1,700 posts

Good for you Folkfan! It's not easy to stick with it, but you must feel great about it.

--
Site Owner

folkfan
@folkfan
2 years ago
449 posts

Well, I've been doing something healthy. I've been losing weight. My doctors are extremely pleased with me. Since last September I've shed about 50 lbs. My system is simple. I look in the mirror and say to myself. Whales need blubber, Walruses need blubber, seals need blubber. You are not a whale, a walrus or a seal. You don't need blubber.

Then I write down in a notebook everything I eat. Keeping to about 1,200 calories a day has meant that I've been losing about a pound a week. I'm in a holding stage now and trying to determine how many calories I can eat without putting weight back on. I'm still keeping my notebook and intend to note what I eat for the rest of my live. Having taken it off, I'm going to keep it off!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 years ago
858 posts

For most of my life I jogged pretty regularly. It was a cheap way of getting really good exercise and could be done anywhere in the world. And sometimes I was able to enjoy really scenic runs, such as the hills above Berkeley overlooking San Francisco Bay, the SF skyline, and the Golden Gate Bridge, or a run I used to do in the rolling hills of Iowa where I would see no other people or cars for an entire 6-mile run. But recently some problems with my feet, ankles, and knees have made it kind of risky for me to run on the roads. Eventually I joined a gym and it took me about a full year of running on the treadmill regularly before I taught myself to do it. The meditative zen that I could achieve on the roads when I was lost in my own thoughts was really hard to find on a machine in a brightly lit room next to another machine with another person huffing and puffing and another machine next to that one and . . . . Eventually I learned to ignore my surroundings and get into a groove despite the fact that dozens of strangers were sweating only a few feet from me. I can't say that it's not boring but rather that eventually I learned how to do it despite the boredom.

Strumelia said:

No, the bicycling to the gym part is not boring, it's the 'stationary' treadmill at the gym that's boring. I'm never bored riding my bike.

--
Site Moderator

-- Pete Seeger
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 years ago
858 posts

A friend of mine seriously believes that all babies should be issued a ukulele by the government. She insists that the savings in terms of increased production due to greater happiness would far outweigh the costs of the instrument. She is a mental health professional. Maybe she got the idea from Good Ol' Charlie Brown:

Or maybe she got it from this song by Loudon Wainwright III, who insists that "Four strings made of nylon always put a smile on/Anybody's face who's feeling blue." Why?

Because a ukulele's like a little baby

You cradle it in your arms and you sing

A lulluby or ditty when you're feeling shi**y

It'll pick you up, you know it's just the thing.

Geekling said:

Hey, I have Kaiser! Do you think they might issue me a uke, like they did my cane (not the Hurrycane, mind you)?39.gifGrin.gif

--
Site Moderator

-- Pete Seeger
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
1,700 posts

No, the bicycling to the gym part is not boring, it's the 'stationary' treadmill at the gym that's boring. I'm never bored riding my bike. But it's very hilly here and it can get terribly hot and wipe me out. I need the gym to get more of a whole body workout.

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
1,700 posts

I rode to the gym today again on my bicycle. The gym is boring as all heck...but it felt real good after i got home. Did lots of spinal bends and twists today too.

--
Site Owner

Susie
@susie
2 years ago
250 posts

This! Music has ALWAYS been my stress release. It is great for your health. I'm blessed that music has been a part of my life since age 9.

Dusty Turtle said:

660_forums.jpg

Doug Smith2
@doug-smith2
2 years ago
4 posts

Love it!

Dusty Turtle said:

Kaiser Permanente, an HMO based in Northern California (in fact, the first HMO ever, created...

Maryann Lang
@maryann-lang
2 years ago
57 posts

Well, what I plan to do and what I am actually doing are not matching up at the moment. I would like to lose about 7-10 lbs, not so much a weight issue as a firming up issue for me. Gravity is winning the battle but I am not giving up the fight! Smile.gif

I have a family membership at our local Rec Center which was recently taken over by the Y. Rarely go due to crazy schedule - my 12 year old keeps me busy durinng the school year, hopefully will start a regular work out routine when school is out soon. I sit at a computer all day for work so I really need to start walking more - another goal this spring/summer.

One thing I started a few years ago is a change in my diet. I guess you can say I follow somewhat of a paleo diet - unrefined and raw, whole foods whenever possible. I try to not eat foods with flour andsugar too often.Moderation is the key. I have eliminatedfoods containing MSG, preservatives, corn syrup, food coloring, soy-based additives, and refined oils which means I rarely use boxed or pre-made foods.I cook with olive or coconut oil,and real butter. I have been eating more salads and vegetables, nuts, and alittle fruits (I avoid consuming too much fruit sugars) I eat grass fed meats (when I can get them) and whole milk dairy (I drink raw cow and goat milk), free range eggs. I got a Ninja food system over the winter (burned out my Nutrabullet) and I make a green smoothieevery other dayas a meal replacement. It contains kale, spinach, collard greens, arugula(I rotate the greens), fresh basil, fresh rosemary, powdered Matcha green tea (great antioxidant), vitamin D and oregano oil drops (occassionally magnesium drops), raw honey, raw milk, organic whole milk yogurt, real vanilla, mango and banana chunks. I freeze the greens and fruits and add 4 ice cubes so it is very thick and filling (and delicious!) I have seen a big improvement in my health andnot one cold this winter, first time ever!

Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 years ago
858 posts

Kaiser Permanente, an HMO based in Northern California (in fact, the first HMO ever, created back when the Kaiser shipyards made the ships in Oakland and Richmond, CA that won World War II) has been running a recent advertising campaign:

659_forums.jpg

I don't have high blood pressure, but I would have to agree that music reduces stress and helps us deal emotionally with whatever life throws our way.

--
Site Moderator

-- Pete Seeger
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
1,700 posts

I haven't lost any weight yet (nor eating less)....but I have joined back up at the gym with Brian and we do go 3 x a week now. about 45 minutes each time. That's something at least! You guys are impressive!!

--
Site Owner

cyndi spear-duncan
@cyndi-spear-duncan
2 years ago
28 posts

I have lost 20 since mid Jan..with pretty much the same method. i am measuring food.i wish i could say i have more energy. But i have a lot to lose.

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
491 posts

Since the beginning of the year I lost 25 pounds and am still working my way downward. I did this mostly through portion control and a slight change in diet. I am limiting sweets, not going for seconds, etc. Now that winter appears to be over I am to get outside more and increase my exercise. I hope to double my weight loss by the end of the year. I have more energy at the moment.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Doug Smith2
@doug-smith2
2 years ago
4 posts

Yoohoo - am I the first? Okay, I'll start. I retired in January because my employer shut down.I'm home all day.Busy but relaxed. I'm outside in the yard almost all day.Our wooded lot means I can work in the shade from morning until dark.My BP was always high when I was working. Went to the doc and BP is now 115 over 75. Retirement is good for yourhealth. Smile.gif Breakfast was yogurt, 1/2 banana and coffee (a major food group); lunch was celery, cumber and red pepper with grated Italian cheese- eaten leisurely on the shaded back deck; dinner was a salad with ham - the real ham from big chunks - , a crescent roll and carrot cake, all with a nice glass of Riesling.Also use an elliptical, going 3.25 miles in 45 minutes on level 15 out of 20 on the machine. Tryin' to live a bit longer!! Oh, and playing dulcimer is good for your health, too. Iwork on a song or 2 each morning and again in late afternoon. Ear yoga. I'm always more tranquil after playing tunes.

Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
1,700 posts

Tell us about your healthy goals and activities!

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 07/23/15 03:36:45PM