1,550 posts

Boy, this is a 'blast from the past'!!!  

David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
4 days ago
58 posts

Sheepy and the Goat.

It's not ha ha funny, but kids like it. I learned it from Don Pedi the last time he visited north Alabama. I think Don said he was making a tab book of very simple tunes. See the video (unfortunately Don doesn't sing it here but he does play it) at https://dulcimercrossing.com/sheepy/dc_sheepy_md_pre.html

This short but good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YzMoHx1v10

The lyrics something like:

Sheepy and the Goat walkin’ through the pasture

“Sheepy” says- "Goat, can you walk a little faster?”

Sheepy got- tired and it lay down, 

and the Poor little Goat kept pickin’ all around

[then you can add any animal you like]

Sheepy and duck...

Sheepy and the cow...

Sheepy and the aardvark...

etc.

Here's me play a LITTLE of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kISLCHJ6oTk&feature=youtu.be

updated by @david-bennett: 07/12/19 09:45:23AM
Blue Hand
Blue Hand
@blue-hand
9 years ago
8 posts
One of the funny songs i play and sing on the dulcimer is Harry Belafontes Banana boat song
Cheryl James
Cheryl James
@cheryl-james
9 years ago
4 posts
Oh and how about:The cat came back, we thought he was a gonerBut the cat came back; just couldn't stay away.Away, away, yea, yea, yeaI used to do this years ago with my youngest daughter's pre-school school and even the parents enjoyed it...That and have you see the ghost of John were our favorite funnys, especially for this time of year, time to dust off the cob webs on those...dulic-geek
Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
9 years ago
245 posts
Another one I forgot because I haven't played this one in a while: He Never Came Back, learned from an early 1960's Dave Van Ronk record.Paul
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
9 years ago
1,105 posts
I guess my dulcimer hasn't found its sense of humor yet.I play "O'Brien is Tryin' to Learn to Talk Hawaiian" on a pink ukulele.When I play guitar for my daughter's kindergarten class I play Pete Seeger's story/song "The Frog" ("Oh way down south in the yankety yank, a bullfrog jumped from bank to bank") which involves singing like cows, chickens, a barnyard gate, grass, a babbling brook, etc.And another kids guitar favorite which could easily be adapted to dulcimer: "There Ain't No Bugs on Me."For the adult crowd I will sometimes play Loudon Wainwright's "I Wish I Was a Lesbian" but the mood has to be just right.Most of the funny songs I know I learned from Jim Kweskin albums. Where else do you get, "Washington at Valley Forge/Freezing cold but up spoke George/He said, vo do dee do, vo do deeo do do"?What a great topic for a discussion, Strumelia!

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
9 years ago
245 posts
A couple I forgot to mention before: You Ain't Talkin' To Me, Tying A Knot In The Devils Tail', and Starving To Death On My Government Claim. There's some others I haven't tried on dulcimer yet, only guitar: Stairway to Gilligan's Island, and Talkin' Grizzly Bear Blues. And one I'm just starting to work on, I'm My Own Grandpa.Paul
Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
9 years ago
183 posts
My grandmother used to sing that song to me all the time. I love it. His fingers were as long a a cane in the break and he had no eyes for to see, and he had no teeth for to eat the hoe cake so he had to leave the hoe cake be. Is that the same song.Michael Vickey said:

Uncle Ned. Sometimes with "politically correct" lyrics.
Michael Vickey
Michael Vickey
@michael-vickey
9 years ago
29 posts
Uncle Ned. Sometimes with "politically correct" lyrics.
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
1,550 posts
Cholesterol - from SweetwaterThe Portree Kid - from the Corries (to the tune of Ghost Riders in the Sky)
folkfan
@folkfan
9 years ago
378 posts
The Ballad of William Bloat. Funny in a dark wayI think I first heard it sung by the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem
Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
9 years ago
245 posts
"The Ballad Of The Shapes Of Things"-Kingston Trio"The Scotsman" -I don't recall who first recorded it, I have it by Atwater-Donnelly -I'm as likely to play it on banjo as dulcimer"Einstein The Genius" -Cranberry Lake Jug Band. -I got this album as a part of a grab bag when Kicking Mule was unloading all of their old vinyl cheap. I don't know anything about the band other than this album."5 Pounds Of Possum"- Stolen from Sweetwater,not sure who wrote it. I play it more often on guitar, but occasionally on dulcimer."The Devil & The Farmers Wife"- An old song, possibly from England in Colonial days or earlier. Another I stole from Atwater-Donnelly. I probably play this more often on banjo, too.Paul
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
1,611 posts
What are some of your favorite funny, silly, or humorous songs that you play and sing on your dulcimer?

And where did you learn them from?

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 07/13/19 03:28:36PM