Show us your sound holes!

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

Hmm ok thanks Strumelia. Guess it's just me, I also wonder about why lots of banjo's have stars on them. They sure are nice no matter what the holes are. LOL

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
12 years ago
2,255 posts

Mandy, if you look through books with photos of pre-1940 dulcimers, you'll see all kinds of shaped sound holes- circles, half moons, S shaped, F clefs, diamonds, tiny holes drilled in various patterns, hearts, and various other interesting designs. The Kentucky hourglass dulcimers do seem to have more hearts than old dulcimers of other body shapes from other regions, but overall in pre-revival dulcimers there are more round sound holes by far than any other shape.

Mandy said:

Great thread here! Can someone tell my why traditional dulcimers seem to all have the heart sound holes? Mine does and most I've seen do as well. Someone enlighten me please. Thanks in advance.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
12 years ago
2,126 posts

...because hearts are traditional???

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
12 years ago
140 posts

Great thread here! Can someone tell my why traditional dulcimers seem to all have the heart sound holes? Mine does and most I've seen do as well. Someone enlighten me please. Thanks in advance.

Randy S. Bretz
Randy S. Bretz
@randy-s-bretz
12 years ago
8 posts

221_forums.jpg?width=721 birds of prey

folkfan
@folkfan
12 years ago
357 posts

That's a poplar top. Some poplars develop the most amazing colors. Something about the soil that they grow in, I believe. Had a top once that went from cream yellow green blue purple red to brown. Called that instrument, "Joseph's coat".

carol anderson said:

What type of wood is the top, with the flames? It's so beautiful1

Jack Ferguson
Jack Ferguson
@jack-ferguson
12 years ago
8 posts

Nice looking dulcimer!

Beth Hansen-Buth said:

218_forums.jpg

My Folkcraft Northern Cherry has heart & vine tone holes. They have a wide variety to choose from on their website. I made my choice for 2 main reasons: 1 - I wanted something that reflected the tradition of heart shaped holes in the Mountain Dulcimer. and 2 - I wanted tone holes too small to lose a pick in! I used to lose my picks all the time in my guitar when I had one. I did not want that annoying problem to happen with my dulcimer too! Grin.gif

BethH
BethH
@beth-hansen
12 years ago
41 posts

My Folkcraft Northern Cherry has heart & vine tone holes. They have a wide variety to choose from on their website. I made my choice for 2 main reasons: 1 - I wanted something that reflected the tradition of heart shaped holes in the Mountain Dulcimer. and 2 - I wanted tone holes too small to lose a pick in! I used to lose my picks all the time in my guitar when I had one. I did not want that annoying problem to happen with my dulcimer too! Grin.gif

Jack Ferguson
Jack Ferguson
@jack-ferguson
12 years ago
8 posts

Great idea to show sound-holes. Here are some I've made at www.appflutes.com

213_forums.jpg?width=721

214_forums.jpg?width=721

215_forums.jpg?width=721

Jeannie in Paradise
Jeannie in Paradise
@jeannie-in-paradise
13 years ago
11 posts
Hi. I thought I'd show off my rose sound holes on my "Mari Rose" Bonnie Carol dulcimer. If I can figure out how to get the photo to attach here... :-)
Paul Rappell
Paul Rappell
@paul-rappell
13 years ago
31 posts

212_forums.jpg?width=721

The trillium is Ontario's provincial flower. This 1974 Oskar Graf is the only dulcimer I've ever owned. It has an extremely thin cedar top, which has been smashed in and repairedtwice. I replaced the handmade friction tuners and the ebony dowel that held the string loops(until itsnapped in two).It still sounds great. Oskar hasn't made dulcimers in many years. He's in demand as a guitar maker now. A few years ago I brought the dulcimer to Oskar's presentation at the guitar symposium at Queen's University here in Kingston. It was a surprise not only to him, but to a number of attendees who didn't know what it was.

George Wentland
George Wentland
@george-wentland
13 years ago
1 posts

My favorite Dulcimers have round polycarbonate lined sound holes. I have three.

Gwyn Calvetti
Gwyn Calvetti
@gwyn-calvetti
13 years ago
12 posts

Gila Mountain Dulcimers

Her website still has supplies and things to go with the dulcimers, but she's no longer building them. It's an absolutely beautiful instrument, too.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
13 years ago
2,126 posts
Kerry' not building anymore??? Dang! She made some fabulous dulcimers.
Gwyn Calvetti
Gwyn Calvetti
@gwyn-calvetti
13 years ago
12 posts

I have two other dulcimers, but this is the one I play, made by Kerry Anderson, who sadly is not making instruments anymore as far as I know. This was one she had already made that I really liked, and the savings from having a custom design were nice, too!

211_forums.jpg?width=600

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
13 years ago
168 posts
Hello just saw the post. No mine was made by a guy in Zacarhia KY He was a Durbin.Smile.gif

Terry Lupardus said:
I have one too.. Is yours made by Jim Goode at Mastertone Dulcimers in West Virginia?

Dana R. McCall said:
This is one I have with walnut sides and back and a cedar top with walnut soundholes
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
13 years ago
2,126 posts
David - what you're calling a 'jam dulcimer" is actually called a Courting Dulcimer, and the intent is/was that two people could play at the same time.
Ima Freeman
Ima Freeman
@ima-freeman
13 years ago
1 posts

Some creative ideas andcool looking pieces!

Now I need another dulcimer like a hole in the head, but should I run across one of those natural knot hole examples that strikes my fancy, I'm in !

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
13 years ago
1,429 posts
Your dulcimer and that smiley must be twins who were separated at birth, Strumelia! Smile.gif

Strumelia said:
Here are my sound holes.... 22.gif 208_forums.jpg
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
13 years ago
2,255 posts
Here are my sound holes....

--
Site Owner

Bill Lewis
Bill Lewis
@bill-lewis
14 years ago
48 posts
Look at Randy Bretz page and you will find what you are looking for in his pictures. :)
Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
14 years ago
168 posts
This is one I have with walnut sides and back and a cedar top with walnut soundholes
Sam
Sam
@sam
14 years ago
169 posts

Back to work on the pine box. With excellent advice from Tish, I replaced the bridge. The dulcimer now tunes true. Couple more coats of tung oil and it'll be finished. Didn't stain it, can't hide plain old pine. Burning could have been a lot neater. I don't have a wood burner. Used a home made veiner that I used to use to put borders around checkering and straighten lines on gunstocks. Heated it with a torch.

204_forums.jpg

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Sam
Sam
@sam
14 years ago
169 posts
It's really an inspiration to see some of the unique patterns showing up. Lori, those little flowers are NEAT !!! Wish I had thought of something like that. So pretty.

--
Bill Lewis
Bill Lewis
@bill-lewis
14 years ago
48 posts
Thats really kool Lori. :)
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
14 years ago
1,429 posts
Lori, I love your flowers-- really cool!
Sam
Sam
@sam
14 years ago
169 posts

Morning Ken;

I'd like to do a scroll head, but I don't have any tools that would be much good for that. I'm working these down with a Stanley round sureform, some coarse files and one or two round rasps. Wish I had some kind of table saw, scroll saw, sander, planer or something with a flat edge to keep things square and get nicer fitted joints easier. I've looked at some of yours ... I have a ways to go yet. Thanks for lookin'.

Sam

--
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
14 years ago
2,126 posts

Another nice job, Sam. Now when are you gonna try scroll heads for even more class??

Sam
Sam
@sam
14 years ago
169 posts

A very good friend in CT thought she might like to try playing a mountain dulcimer. Finished this one in cherry up and packaged for shipping Saturday. She requested 'teardrops' as soundholes.

--
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
14 years ago
1,429 posts

Sam, I must give a tip of the hat to the luthiers-- MD made by Paul Conrad of Timbre Hill Dulcimers and BD is by Ken Bloom. Paul knew my taste was for a simple sound hole design (this design can be seen in the beautiful, fancier intarsia back on the instrument) and the sound holes on the bowed dulcimer is Ken's standard sound hole.

It's pretty cool that the poplar top on the MD was once exterior siding (that had gotten covered over at some point) on Paul's house that was built in the 1840's.

Sam said:

Striking;

The Mountain Dulcimer is exquisitely understated. Both instruments are just beautiful.

updated by @robin-thompson: 06/30/15 10:19:58AM
folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts

Barbara, That's a piece of poplar. Sometimes the chemistry of the soil will produce the unusual color combinations that you see on my top. Dave did one for me years ago that I called "Joseph" because of the amazing coloration that the wood had. It was cream, and brown, and green, and blue, and red and purple and pink!! Just like a Joseph's coat.

Barbara Maas said:

FolkFan .. the sounds holes are so unique and lovely. The top wood on the instrument with the leaves is incredibly beautiful. It really fits the simple elegance of the leaf shape.
Sam
Sam
@sam
14 years ago
169 posts

Striking;

The Mountain Dulcimer is exquisitely understated. Both instruments are just beautiful.

--
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
14 years ago
1,429 posts

202_forums.jpg?width=721

Sam
Sam
@sam
14 years ago
169 posts

Thanks Ken and Joe;

Ken, the bouts are exactly the same width. The narrow, slightly elongated waist toward the bottom bout makes it appear narrower. Should I name this one 'Dolly'?

--
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
14 years ago
2,126 posts

Nice job Sam!

Is it an optical delusion, or is the top bout (nearest the tuners) wider than the bottom bout?

Sam
Sam
@sam
14 years ago
169 posts

Finished this little dude this morning. 25" VSL, bobbed pretty short to fit in my locker at work. All wood is poplar from a local Lowe's. Fretboard has NOT been stained. It ranges from almost snow white to purple, to golden brown to almost black. Went with traditional heart soundholes. I think this is my favorite build so far.

--
Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
14 years ago
85 posts
This is what my sound holes look like. My dulcimer was a kit from Cripple Creek Dulcimer in CO. I think they were done with a lazar cut machine.

http://mountaindulcimer.ning.com/photo/close-up?context=user

--
Site Moderator
Outlander-Barb
Outlander-Barb
@outlander
14 years ago
24 posts
FolkFan .. the sounds holes are so unique and lovely. The top wood on the instrument with the leaves is incredibly beautiful. It really fits the simple elegance of the leaf shape.
Outlander-Barb
Outlander-Barb
@outlander
14 years ago
24 posts
Phil ... what great sound holes. My daughter would really like something like that as her best companion is her golden retreiver, Lillie. The dog outline is so realistic. I bought my dulcimer from Tom Y. recently. He'd just finished one and when he sent me a picture of it, I was sold. It had a beautiful hawk in flight and weaving vines. A hawk in flight was what I was looking for. Tom signed it & named it "LadyHawk" for me. (sentimental meaning)
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
14 years ago
1,729 posts
Phil is so happy with his dulcimer in honor of Ellie that I had to plug my uncle, the sole luthier at Pawprint Autoharps:

But as far as dulcimers go, here is my (so far) one and only:

And I don't think anyone needs to see the sound hole on the front of my face.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
john p
john p
@john-p
14 years ago
173 posts
Even the classic 4 of hearts holds up well.

john p
Randy S. Bretz
Randy S. Bretz
@randy-s-bretz
14 years ago
8 posts

Bone with sliced butternut shell soundhole covers

Robin Clark
Robin Clark
@robin-clark
14 years ago
239 posts

This is certainly the geekiest thread LOL!!!I have Celtic pattern holes on my Galax - I thought they would be pretty apt for someone who lives in a Celtic nation and goes to Celtic sessions.

I do like those basic Melton style holes too. And if I get around to having another Galax dulcimer built (or have a go at building one myself sometime) then that's the pattern I'd copy.

Flint Hill said:

I think this may be the geekiest discussion ever posted to FOTMD.

That's why I'm clicking the "Follow" button. Smile.gif

Flint Hill
Flint Hill
@flint-hill
14 years ago
62 posts
I think this may be the geekiest discussion ever posted to FOTMD.That's why I'm clicking the "Follow" button. Smile.gif
Flint Hill
Flint Hill
@flint-hill
14 years ago
62 posts

I like the sound holes on my Kudzu Patch Galax because they look like a lot like the ones on Jacob Ray Melton's dulcimer in Ralph Lee Smith's Appalachian Dulcimer Traditions .

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
14 years ago
168 posts
Here is one more that I love but it is a little fragile I think. I love the Ambrosia Maple
Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
14 years ago
168 posts
I love natural knot holes for sound holes and have several dulcimers that way. I don't think it make any difference in the sound they are just pretty.
Phil Myers
Phil Myers
@phil-myers
14 years ago
28 posts
This is my favorite because it is my golden retriever,Ellie, who is now 8 years old. It was made by Tom Yocky in 2005. All I told him was I wanted a golden retriever and paw prints and he took it from there. It will always be my favorite dulcimer!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,255 posts
Sam that's cool. I have a tiny tattoo behind one ear that is the same, but dotted. It does seem odd that we don't see more sound holes like this!

--
Site Owner

Kendra Ward
Kendra Ward
@kendra-ward
14 years ago
10 posts
This is a great idea!I am sorry that we cannot show you some of the sound holes in the dulcimers we have made. Soundholes are special to the person who gets the instrument.Last year for Christmas we made a beautiful cherry dulcimer for Bob's parents who live on an island off the panhandle of Florida. The soundholes that I cut out were fish and bubbles and seaweed and so forth! It was awesome! (I may have some photo's.....I will look)Another dulcimer we made had Ohio State University soundholes. We made it to give to an auction in Columbus. It was pretty cool too. They were buckeyes and leaves.Our nieces each received dulcimers with horse heads as sound holes. It has been fun to make these instruments special.
Sam
Sam
@sam
14 years ago
169 posts
Looked at lots of pics. Hadn't seen anyone use this configuration.

--
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,255 posts
Ok I guess that sounds kinda weird, but...

I thought it'd be cool to see pictures of all the different kinds of sound holes we all have on our dulcimers.
Post a picture here, and tell us what you like about your dulcimer's sound holes, and why you chose them.

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 07/31/23 09:20:12PM

/ 2