The Positive Thread...

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
3 years ago
188 posts

Ken, we have a 1acre lawn.  Will the battery powered self propelled mower last that long?

What is the company name?

Thank you!

Don

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,434 posts

@ken-longfield Our new mower is battery-powered-- neither gas nor oil needed for an engine.  We have a string trimmer coming today from the same company from which we got the mower.  Our new mower is a self-propelled walk-behind mower-- we don't own a riding mower-- and we don't have a string trimmer yet. :)   

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,096 posts

Robin, I am guessing that you are talking about a plug-in mower with an extension cord. My sister and her former husband used one for many years. My sister still does.

Last year I switched over to  battery powered lawn mower, string trimmer, and hedge trimmer. Most of my lawn is done by a robot, but I need the mower for places the robot doesn't reach. No more messing with gas and oil.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,434 posts

We just got an electric mower.  Mark had a chance to try it out before the cold snap hit and I look forward to getting to use it.  Very lightweight and very quiet-- big pluses!   

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
3 years ago
400 posts

My husband was mowing the lawn when the snow started falling, but he wanted to finish, so he just kept going.  We got about an inch here in Lexington, KY.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,259 posts

Really cold here in NY too. It was snowing pretty heavily for like 45 minutes, and freezing wind. But the ground was warm, so the snow melted immediately. Weird. Not sure how to dress anymore. !

oops I guess that's not really 'positive'.  tmi

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 04/21/21 08:36:31PM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,096 posts

Robin, it has been getting colder all day. Tomorrow is not going to be a day to be outside doing yard work. Maybe I'll be able to get some of dulcimer projects worked on. You stay warm as well.

Ken

dulcinina
@dulcinina
3 years ago
87 posts

Good news, Venni. Welcome back.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,434 posts

@ken-longfield Anything for you, my friend!  :) On a more serious note, very cold temperatures are coming tonight and lots of fruit trees are in bloom now.  Time will tell how it goes.  Keep warm there in PA!

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
3 years ago
235 posts

Venni, so glad you have recovered. COVID is wicked.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,096 posts

Venni, glad to hear the you made it through. Best wishes for continued improvement in your health.

Robin, you can keep the snow in Ohio, thank you.

Ken

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,434 posts

@venni I am happy you are feeling better! 

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,434 posts

We woke to a pretty snow this morning here in Ohio.  No morel hunting for us today.  :)

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,434 posts

I hope you have luck finding some, @leo-kretzner.  Even just a few morels cut and sautéed in butter then eaten with whatever pasta you like is such a treat! 

Leo Kretzner
Leo Kretzner
@leo-kretzner
3 years ago
36 posts

Gee, morels! Thanks for reminding me to go out and check a couple areas of past fires, especially as it rained a little last night! Haven't had any in years...

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,434 posts

@ken-hulme It was so good!

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,126 posts

Jealous!!!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,434 posts

We found a few morels today.  So, we'll sauté them and have them over pasta for lunch.  :)

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,434 posts

It is chilly & wet here in my little corner of SE Ohio US this morning.  The guitar player in the house and I get our second vaccines on Saturday-- yay!  

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,126 posts

March started like a lamb... going out like a Lion.  The good thing is we've both been doubled jabbed.  Lots of other not so good stuff happening though...

rojo
@rojo
3 years ago
18 posts

We had a lovely bike ride around Buttermere here in Cumbria yesterday. It was good to feel the heat if the sun. Unfortunately covid19restrictions are being eased soon and I fear it will be mayhem.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,732 posts

Beautiful (but windy) day in northern California as well. Took the dog on an early morning walk dog1 , which meant I got to practice maintaining my dignity while carrying a little bag of poop. 

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
dulcinina
@dulcinina
3 years ago
87 posts

March 30th is National Walk in a Park Day in the USA.  A beautiful sunny day in Kentucky with temperatures in the low 70's.  My husband and I  took a walk in a park in downtown Somerset. Just lovely to be out in nature. Nina

jost
@jost
3 years ago
77 posts

A sunny spring day in Bonn and I got out of home office at 2 pm. I spent the afternoon on the grass near the Rhine promenade of the Beuel district playing dulcimer. Some people even asked (while maintaining social distancing) what kind of instrument I played and asked "So you play it like a guitar?" 

So this was quite cheerful, wish you all have a good time

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,434 posts

It's a beautiful day here in SE Ohio US.  I've spent a little time outdoors working a bit.  So good to be out and feel the sunshine and hear the birds!  

Sending all good wishes to y'all!

updated by @robin-thompson: 03/30/21 02:22:17PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,732 posts

Sounds like fun, @venni.  Stay safe.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,434 posts

I wish you safe travels, @venni!  

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,259 posts

@venni , that's impressive, good for you!
Many of us here never actually become highly skilled players, but hopefully we all do find joy in playing a humble instrument at home, even if we only play for our own selves. Music is such a tonic.  :)

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 03/08/21 06:09:41PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,732 posts

Good for you, Venni!  That's awfully fast progress.  I think my first song was Mary Had a Little Lamb.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ariane
Ariane
@ariane
3 years ago
50 posts

Ken, I am very happy to read your good news.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,096 posts

Virtually sounds good. I've hiked portions of the AT in Maine, NH, Vermont, NY, PA, Maryland, and VA.

Ken

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
3 years ago
390 posts

Ken Longfield:

John C. Knopf:

It's great to hear this news, Ken!  Now we can both hike the Appalachian Trail from Canada to Georgia! (virtually).

As long as you promise to carry me all the way.

Ken

VIRTUALLY, Ken.  It's the only way either of us would survive it.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,096 posts

John C. Knopf:

It's great to hear this news, Ken!  Now we can both hike the Appalachian Trail from Canada to Georgia! (virtually).

As long as you promise to carry me all the way.

Ken

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
3 years ago
390 posts

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
3 years ago
235 posts

Awesome great news Ken.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,096 posts

Lois, I do have a bass dulcimer on loan from a friend. It is a Blue Lion and not much heavier than my Blue Lion dulcimer.

Lisa, it certainly does feel good.

Ken

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,259 posts

Ken that's great news!  It must feel so good to have your heart working properly now.  heart

--
Site Owner

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
3 years ago
197 posts

clap YAAAY!  Since your dulcimer probably isn't heavier than 8 pounds, you can keep picking it up as it's obviously helped you so far, Ken!  If you have a bass or otherwise heavier instrument, let it be your incentive for playing again in May.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,096 posts

Dusty, sure, as long as I don't have to lift anything heavier than 8 pounds. Are you paying for my round trip airfare and other expenses?

Ken

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
3 years ago
231 posts

Ken, that is great news!!! Glad you are back!!!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,434 posts

Ken, I am happy to see your good news! 

If PA is anything like OH, the thing which makes a person eligible for helping someone move is owning a pickup truck.  It must be different where Dusty lives (than where I live).  :)

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,732 posts

That's great news, Ken.  We're all delighted to hear it.

So can you help me move this weekend?rofl

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 03/03/21 05:32:10PM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,096 posts

Today I saw my cardiac surgeon for my first, and as it turns out, my last post op appointment. I am doing so well with my recovery that he does not need to see me again. I can drive again. I still need to be cautious of lifting things for another 2 months so I do not damage my sternum. My heart is in great shape after the mitral valve repair. Look out world, I'm back! LOL

Thank you to all who offered good wishes, prayers, notes of concern , and phone calls during this time. It is greatly appreciated.

Ken

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,096 posts

Great news. Enjoy!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,259 posts

Venni that's good news for sure. I hope you've been looking in the Beginner Group here to learn about how to tune it for example... lots of good starting out info to be found there!
I hope it arrives safely and brightens your day!

--
Site Owner

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,434 posts

@venni Please post a photo of your mountain dulcimer!  

John W. McKinstry
John W. McKinstry
@john-w-mckinstry
3 years ago
50 posts

That's an original, Dusty, except from the quote of Vocabulary.com.

By the way I have painted a turtle to go along with this and I will post it

under photos soon!  Take care, John

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,732 posts

Thanks, John.  I like that a lot.  Did you come up with that yourself or is that some ancient Chinese saying or something?

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
John W. McKinstry
John W. McKinstry
@john-w-mckinstry
3 years ago
50 posts

To "Dusty Turtle" & all of my friends at FOTMD:

"Like the turtle may you float in the hard times

and bask in the good!"

"To bask in something is to take it in, receive

its warmth, or bathe in its goodness."

Vocabulary.com

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
3 years ago
252 posts

Lisa, your plant points toward the promise of spring.....Robert

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,259 posts

The tropical plant in my office is unfurling a new leaf. It looks so fresh and full of promise, especially now in front of the window pane with freezing snow and sleet falling on the other side only inches away...   I love in the morning when the sun comes through the green leaves. The unfurling leaf reminds me of when a butterfly emerges from its cocoon and opens its wings.

unfurling.jpg

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 02/18/21 05:00:14PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,732 posts

It's too bad about the typo, David, but there would have probably been a mistake somewhere no matter how many times you edited it. 

I was really impressed with Ashley when I worked with her last year.  DPN is in good hands.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
3 years ago
60 posts

Dusty Turtle:

Great article in the February 2021 issue of Dulcimer Players News by @david-bennett about @dan's 9-foot long dulcimer.  Nice work, guys!  Everyone should give it a read.

Thanks Dusty!  There is one typo in the article. I think the article says it weighs 28 lbs, it actually only weighs 18 lbs.  The typo was my fault, not DPNs.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,259 posts

Wonderful news about how you are healing well, Ken L!

I'm glad to have it clarified about the two different giant dulcimers- the Mawhee-ish by Dan Cox, and the Thomas-ish by John Knopf. Yes a boxing match between the giants... how fun!  punched punch

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 02/17/21 02:07:11PM
Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
3 years ago
231 posts

Ken, that is great news!!!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,096 posts

Patty from Virginia:

Ken Longfield, it's good to see you posting here. I hope you are doing well.

Thanks, Patty. I am doing well. I have to be careful to not do too much because I feel so good. My sternum is mending (wired together) and the incision looks to be healing very well. I will see the surgeon again in a couple of weeks and may be able to drive again after that visit. The heart is back in normal rhythm and I've experienced no afib since returning home.

Ken

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
3 years ago
390 posts

It's nice to know my 8-foot-tall Uncle Eddie hasn't been forgotten!  Though he has been "upstaged" somewhat by the 9-foot-tall Mawhee dulcimore built by my talented buddy Dulcimore Dan!  Maybe someday we can stage a boxing event between the giants?

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
3 years ago
231 posts

Ken Longfield, it's good to see you posting here. I hope you are doing well.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,096 posts

[quote="Dusty Turtle"]

[quote="Strumelia"] Woops!  I see Ken beat me to a response. I guess his coffee is better than mine. coffee

[/quote]

No, Dusty, it's just that I'm on the East coast and three hours ahead of you. Still waiting for my issue to arrive, but with all the bad weather we've been having our mail has been delayed.

Ken

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,732 posts

Strumelia: Dusty that's great! That huge black dulcimer is a sort of Thomas model, isn't it?

Perhaps the black stain makes it resemble the Thomas dulcimers, but according to the article, @Dan's 9-foot dulcimer is "partially patterned on John Mawhee's dulcimore."  One obvious modern element is the machine tuners, since wooden pegs would never be able to handle the tension of such long strings.  

Woops!  I see Ken beat me to a response. I guess his coffee is better than mine. coffee

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 02/17/21 11:16:24AM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,096 posts

The big Thomas dulcimer, Uncle Eddie, was made by John Knopf. Dan's is a teardrop model patterned after a Mawhee dulcimer.

Ken

updated by @ken-longfield: 02/17/21 12:18:23PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,259 posts

Dusty that's great! That huge black dulcimer is a sort of Thomas model, isn't it?

--
Site Owner

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,732 posts

Great article in the February 2021 issue of Dulcimer Players News by @david-bennett about @dan's 9-foot long dulcimer.  Nice work, guys!  Everyone should give it a read.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,096 posts

Congratulations! Enjoy your dulcimer.

Ken

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
3 years ago
188 posts

We all hope you will learn to love the dulcimer and dig in to all this simple instrument is capable of accomplishing.

Enjoy the journey.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,259 posts

I hope you like your new dulcimer when it arrives!

--
Site Owner

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,434 posts

We are snug in the house and prepared for a major snowstorm heading into the region.  

Take care, all, and wherever you are, be safe!

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
3 years ago
188 posts

Yes, I bought my 17 and 16 year old granddaughters a Joan Baez CD.

They don’t have a CD player.  They stream their CW music.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,096 posts

Dusty, I am glad to hear of your daughter's discovery of Joni Mitchell. I remember all our car trips when my children asked, "Do we have to listen to dad's music?" There is a certain pride that comes with their discovery that what we listened to and were influenced by wasn't all bad. On the flip side, I have found some of "their" music to be inspirational as well.

Ken

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,732 posts

My heart as well.  I think sheltering at home has decreased the influence of her peers relative to her parents and opened a little doorway for me to sneak Joni in there.  And I gained a little stature in her eyes when I told her the woman who made Joni's dulcimer and I attend each other's online dulcimer gatherings.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 02/12/21 07:28:07PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,259 posts

It does my heart good to hear that Dusty. Get her access to Joni's album Ladies of the Canyon as well. Arguably as good as the Blue album. Joni is a national treasure.

--
Site Owner

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,732 posts

I heard my teenage daughter listening to a female pop singer with a really melodic voice, and I said, "If you like this, you'll really love Joni Mitchell."  We listened to "Chelsea Morning" together, and then I told her to check out the Blue album. A few days later she told me with a smile on her face that she loves it!

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
dulcinina
@dulcinina
3 years ago
87 posts

Glad you're home, Ken.  Home is sometimes the best medicine.  Nina

Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
3 years ago
74 posts

Ken I'm so grateful to hear that you are home and recovering. You were missed here and, I know, got many dulcimer prayers...and a few more from the ukulele players. I read your note on here as it gently snows in Vermont.

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
3 years ago
197 posts

Glad to have you back, Ken, but here's a thought.  Whatever you were watching when your heartbeat returned to normal needs to become a method to calm down your heart when it races.  Do you have some way to monitor your heartbeat?

/ 5