Show Us Your Pets!

Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
one month ago
355 posts

Gwyn, Toby is a very special little critter and so very cute. I too have a dog "Smiley" who has turned into my Therapy Friend for me and others. They are the best kind of friends. sun

Gwyn
@gwyn
one month ago
1 posts

IMG_0073.JPG  This is TOBY!  He is a UFO (unidentifiable fluffy ornament) who has the dubious

job of being my Medical Alert companion.  He weighs just 2.5 lbs.  He is a joy! 

Salt Springs
@salt-springs
one month ago
101 posts

A extraordinarily nice cat showed up this week and decided to claim a spot on my back deck.  I figured one more would not make any difference since my forest menagerie comes and goes............her picture and her mothers day gift to me......a surprise group of 6 that showed up. (2 Black, 2 Black & white, 1 White and 1 Orange)

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0003.JPGDSC_0024.JPGDSC_0003.JPGDSC_0012.JPG

Sam
@sam
one month ago
231 posts

img

--
A strum is just a smile turned upside LOUD!
D. Chitwood
@d-chitwood
2 months ago
140 posts

I'll try to add photos of my crew. We have Abby the calico, who keeps me up all.night.long. wanting to be petted. Then she sleeps all day. We also have Dark Kitty.  Savannah our lab and Paddy Bear, the English shepherd.

abby.jpg

038.JPG

phpSzEgadPM.jpg

unnamed.jpg

updated by @d-chitwood: 05/02/17 10:17:53PM
Sam
@sam
2 months ago
231 posts

Strumelia:

Sam- that waterfall is so gorgeous- is it in your yard??

I have a waterfall in the yard, this isn't it. 

--
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 months ago
1,764 posts

They say Border collie type dogs are among the smartest dogs of all.  nerd  I admire how they loyally follow their owners' every move.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
2 months ago
355 posts

Gordon, I used to live on a mountain in OR and would find bull elk peeking in my window at 4 a.m., they would wake up the neighbors by rubbing their camp trailer, they are beautiful and very big.

Now I live around antalope, it was fun a month ago seeing the bucks with their cows and now I see a lone buck in the field, I look forward to see the cows and their babies soon.

Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
2 months ago
355 posts

Kevin, I adopted my Smiley dog 3 months after being diagnosed with aggressive Rheumatoid  Arthritis and he is my amazing friend for 11 years he has kept me moving and gives me comfort every day. He also loves visiting folks in nursing facilities.

Smiley expects hearing mountain dulcimer or string instrument music each day he fits in well. It is wonderful to have a therapy friend.

DSCF1610.JPG

updated by @lexie-r-oakley: 05/02/17 12:26:24PM
Kevin Keating
@kevin-keating
2 months ago
13 posts

These are my girls, Dolly n Teala.  I call Teala my therapy dog.  :)

Photo12031049.jpg
Photo12031049.jpg  •  309KB

Strumelia
@strumelia
2 months ago
1,764 posts

Gordon, that's amazing!  We get LOTS of whitetailed deer here in NY... can't imagine how majestic elk are in the back yard.  I ate an elk steak once in Quebec.  surprised

Sam- that waterfall is so gorgeous- is it in your yard??

Tip for folks with tropical fish aquariums: If you want to keep algae under control... forget snails and catfish...just get a couple of mollies.... holy cow, they are total algae-eating machines!  They are cleaning all the algae off my aquarium surfaces and off the live plants without even damaging the plant leaves.

I recently got three 'green lantern' platies (also good algae eaters) and two 'gold panda' mollies.  This is what the panda mollies look like (not my photo):

molly.jpg

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 05/02/17 12:01:21PM
Gordon Hardy
@gordon-hardy
2 months ago
14 posts

These aren't pets but thought I'd share anyway. This small herd of elk came to visit on April 30 and had a good browse on the new growth on our garden shrubs before they paid their respects and moved on. This is a photo of them leaving the yard.

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 months ago
872 posts

I enjoy seeing y'all's pets!  

George, I offer my deepest sympathy.  

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
2 months ago
137 posts

One happy pup...

--
Site Moderator
Sam
@sam
2 months ago
231 posts

Never a dull moment with Gracie.

img

img

--
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
2 months ago
355 posts

Sorry for the loss of your friend George.

Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
2 months ago
54 posts

Tennesse Jed - thanks for sharing your spoiled puppies!!!  They are adorable!  That's great that they are best friends!  smile

Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
2 months ago
54 posts

George, I am so sorry to hear about your Lady.  She was absolutely adorable, and I am sure was was even sweeter.  I know all too well how heartbreaking it is to say goodbye to our pets....as they aren't just pets, but are family. sniffcry

Tennessee Jed
@tennessee-jed
2 months ago
5 posts

Didn't know this was here, so I suppose I'll put our spoiled puppies on here too.

Sorry George for the loss of "Lady".  God gives us wonderful companions on Earth. I miss all of my animals we've had over the years that have passed.

Here is our Blue Tick Coonhound named Abigail {She isn't even a year old yet} and Our Weenie Dog Sebastian who will be 13 years old this year. They are the best of friends.

IMG_0033.JPG.jpg
IMG_0033.JPG.jpg  •  6.9MB

IMG_0008.JPG.jpg
IMG_0008.JPG.jpg  •  6.2MB

Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
2 months ago
137 posts

So sorry, George.

--
Site Moderator
Sam
@sam
2 months ago
231 posts

Heartbreaking George. 

--
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 months ago
1,764 posts

Ohh George, my heart goes out to you.  We love our little furry 'children' so very much.  What a long and happy life you gave to her!

--
Site Owner

Estes George
@george-desjardins
2 months ago
105 posts

Well, sadly just  a couple hours ago, I had to put my best friend of nearly 19 years to rest. So many good years, walks, play time, and conversations, yep, we all talk to our dogs like they are going to answer.

While so obviously time, doggie dementia, loss of vision, hearing, mobility. It makes it no easier does it? Rest in peace old "Lady" dog, I'm gonna miss you.

Your little buddy is looking for you too, she knows somethings up, keeps looking for you, think she knows, there's little dog tears coming down.

LadyFinalRIP4-25-17.jpg

Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
3 months ago
334 posts

Lisa, is there anything you can't do? I loved the part where the crayfish were eating the Feta cheese, and one of them was rolling it up and saving it for later. The Octopus was fun to watch too. grin

Strumelia
@strumelia
3 months ago
1,764 posts

I took a little video of my aquarium yesterday, when i noticed my amano shrimp were posing nicely while eating an algae wafer.  Two snails got in on the action too.

--
Site Owner

Jim Yates
@jim-yates
4 months ago
56 posts

Not pets, but very friendly.  In Port Hope we have a waterfront trail that goes through the woods beside the north shore of Lake Ontario.  I take a walk down this trail most days and often bring Maggie, my wife with me.  There are some very friendly animals on the trail.  I've had chipmunks sit on the toe of my shoe. Last week, Maggie decided to bring a bag of bird seed to feed the chickadees.  They flew over and sat on her hand for a meal. 

Chickadee  2272017 f.jpg

updated by @jim-yates: 03/02/17 01:23:16PM
Laurel K Scott
@laurel-k-scott
4 months ago
14 posts

Thanks, Jim. I'd be lost without her. She even saved my life once. "Though she be but little, she is fierce." :)

Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
4 months ago
137 posts
She's a cutie, that's for sure. Laurel.

--
Site Moderator
Laurel K Scott
@laurel-k-scott
4 months ago
14 posts

Thank you! Spishy is very curious since I brought the old dulcimer home. I think she truly enjoys sweet music, but she will leave the room if it is too loud or discordant. So she can be my dulcimer dog. :)

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 months ago
872 posts

What an adorable face Miss Spish has!  

--
Robin T
Laurel K Scott
@laurel-k-scott
4 months ago
14 posts

My best buddy Miss Spish (registered name Windy Hill Suspicions)

Pretty as a Picture.jpg

Strumelia
@strumelia
4 months ago
1,764 posts

LOL!

--
Site Owner

Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
4 months ago
137 posts

At times, Robin...whistle

--
Site Moderator
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 months ago
872 posts

Are you Sherman, Jim?  :)

--
Robin T
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
4 months ago
137 posts

Hazel doing her Peabody impression

--
Site Moderator
Stanley Adams
@stanley-adams
4 months ago
3 posts

Not being a cat person m'self, but yeah those are pretty nice lookin kitteys....  kittywink

Strumelia
@strumelia
4 months ago
1,764 posts

Shawn, Anne....

I love that you've made room in your home for those lovely kitties that needed someone's kindness!  heartbeat

--
Site Owner

Jim Yates
@jim-yates
4 months ago
56 posts

Randy,
Unless you both die in an accident, the chances are good for either you outliving your pet or your pet outliving you.  You can't live your life that way.  Thirty-three years ago I married the woman in my profile photo who is eight years younger than I am even though I knew that women outlive men as a rule. 
I am 72 years old now.  I'm not gonna plan my life thinking I have only three years left. 
My youngest brother lived a full life, yet he didn't make it to your age, 62.  My Aunt Vera also lived a full life and I played at her 102nd birthday party.

I'm not saying that you should or shouldn't get a dog, but that your age is not a good reason for not getting a dog if you really want one.

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 months ago
872 posts

Shawn and Anne, those are nice looking cats!  

--
Robin T
Anne Maguire
@anne-maguire
4 months ago
8 posts

The new boy has settled in well. I put this bed up on the shelf yesterday morning - Bran has claimed it for himself already! He is up in it now watching me type this.

His nose has healed up well, and once the last little bit of fur grows back he will look pretty good. I don't think the black will totally come back on his nose leather, though. Two tone pink & black, I think now. He has grown a bit and is starting to fill out - can't keep the food up to him, or Pug, for that matter! He has two speeds - flat out and stopped, which is probably why he isn't bulking up. He and Pug play well together, and Pug has even started initiating the play, something he didn't do with Humbug for nearly 18 months. He has been outside three times, in his halter with the lead, but neither of the boys are being let out alone until the snakes have well-and-truly gone underground for the winter! We had a much welcome cool change overnight, so Pug went out on his own, and enjoyed himself! Pug is the ginga ninja.

I am very happy with the way things have settled, and think Bran will have a very happy and contented life here. Just waiting for the cold weather so I can light the fire and have two-cat snuggles again!

Cheers
Annie

Bran's Nest.jpg
Bran's Nest.jpg  •  53KB

032.JPG.jpg
032.JPG.jpg  •  68KB

shawn wright
@shawn-wright
4 months ago
18 posts

A couple of strays that were dumped off on us.  The fluffy female has now been spayed and the short-haired tom is next.

Estes George
@george-desjardins
5 months ago
105 posts

I do get a great variety of wildlife here, We've got the Elk and Deer, I have pictures of Bears and cubs in my pine trees, Have had a mountain lion in the driveway several times, Bald eagles down by the lake. Also Bobcats, coyotes and Foxes. Keeps life interesting but you do need to keep your eyes open when heading out the door.

There's a video online right now of this same elk entering a store on our main street, Elkhorn Ave!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J13pHACilg&feature=youtu.be

Anne Maguire
@anne-maguire
5 months ago
8 posts

You have such interesting visitors! The best I can hope for is a cow - although there are deer up in the hills nearby they never come down to village.

Estes George
@george-desjardins
5 months ago
105 posts

He's fine, up and wandering in the yard now. 

bull.jpg
bull.jpg  •  636KB

Strumelia
@strumelia
5 months ago
1,764 posts

Yikes!  What a beauty.  I hope he wasn't hurt in some way.

--
Site Owner

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 months ago
872 posts

Wow, George! 

--
Robin T
Estes George
@george-desjardins
5 months ago
105 posts

Was headed out to the truck this morning to go to grocery store, thought I'd wait until my visitor moves on.

Welcome to Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park!!

Although several hours, he's still there resting comfortably!! sun

IMG_2078.jpg
IMG_2078.jpg  •  1.3MB

Sam
@sam
6 months ago
231 posts

Robin Thompson:

Ariel, 6-8 years old, has joined our household.  Mark and I had been holding-off getting another dog, waiting until I can live at home all the time.  However, it just seemed right to open our home to Ariel.  <3

image.jpeg

Awwww .... seems like pooches and belly rubs just go together. So happy for you, Mark and especially Ariel. ♥

--
Sam
@sam
6 months ago
231 posts

Estes George:

10 below zero in Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park, Colorado, Meet spazz, same personality as me, either highly wound, or totally laid back, playing dulcimer..

Beautiful photo. That setting is calendar stuff!

--
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 months ago
872 posts

It is nice seeing about the animals y'all have given good homes!  The critters we've had through the years have rescued us.  :) 

Randy, Mark tells me she seems to be either mopey or tired this evening.  

Back in October, when Ariel was pulled from the pound by the rescue, she was just a few hours away from being euthanized.  She has a sweet temperament though I know she has to have been through a lot (given her physical maladies which have been addressed). I imagine there will be some adjustments from the foster home to ours.  I wish I were there with Mark & Ariel.  For now, though, I must continue to live with my folks and visit my home. 

--
Robin T

updated by @robin-thompson: 12/27/16 06:32:27AM
Randy Adams
@randy-adams
6 months ago
123 posts

Is she getting settled in Robin?  .

.. making herself at home? 

What a fortunate girl!

Estes George
@george-desjardins
6 months ago
105 posts

All my dogs have been rescues of some sort, always the most rewarding I think. My oldest, "Ladybug", a king Charles and shitzu mix is just about 18 now, having some age issues but still holding her own, the other, A Chaweenie, (picture posted above in front of fireplace), was horribly abused and was still recovering from cigarette burns on the tips of her ears when I brought her home. But she recovered nicely, and now "rules the roost", 

lady.jpg
lady.jpg  •  510KB

Anne Maguire
@anne-maguire
6 months ago
8 posts

Since I became an adult (when I think about it, most of my other cats/dogs were 'strays' - my dad would keep bringing them home!) all my cats (and my late dog, Jack-the-Ripper) have been rescue animals or come from an unhappy background. My first was Barney, a big black & white I had for 17 years, Wuggles, a chocolate & cream tortie who was anything between 2 and 5 when I got her I had for 15 years, Spud, another black and white who, at different times shared his life with Wuggles, Pug and Humbug, for 16 years, 7 months and 4 days.

Pug and Humbug shared for 6 and a half years until Humbug left us in June this year. Pug, who will be 8 in February, was lonely and stressed by himself, especially as I had to go away a couple of times. It was time for a new mate for both of us!

Strumelia
@strumelia
6 months ago
1,764 posts

Robin, I'm so happy for you, Mark, and Ariel!  Sounds like a wonderful match in the family.

Anne- what a glossy handsome fellow Bran be!

Three cheers to the folks who welcome shelter/rescue pets into their homes... I hope the love you give to them will come back to you three-fold.  toivo kittywink

--
Site Owner

Anne Maguire
@anne-maguire
6 months ago
8 posts

Have a new cat! Rescue cat, about 14 months old, has lived most of his life at the pound or a foster home. Picked him up on Wednesday before Christmas and he is settling in beautifully he and Pug the ginga-ninja have had the odd hissing fit, but have not come to blows - they have even started eating together already!

He is pretty much jet black - may have a white hair here and there, but you really have to look to find them! His name is "Bran Dubh" (Black Raven) aka Bran, he is allergic to mosquito bites, so his nose is a bit ordinary, but he is responding well to treatment, and, in time, his nose will be normal.

PC250020.JPG.jpg
PC250020.JPG.jpg  •  62KB

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 months ago
872 posts

Ariel, 6-8 years old, has joined our household.  Mark and I had been holding-off getting another dog, waiting until I can live at home all the time.  However, it just seemed right to open our home to Ariel.  <3

image.jpeg

--
Robin T
Bee Lick Farm
@bee-lick-farm
6 months ago
36 posts

That's a two-speed automatic. Wide Open or Stopped thumbsup

Not such a bad life. Cheers,

- Tony

Estes George
@george-desjardins
6 months ago
105 posts

10 below zero in Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park, Colorado, Meet spazz, same personality as me, either highly wound, or totally laid back, playing dulcimer..

spazz.jpg
spazz.jpg  •  667KB

Sam
@sam
6 months ago
231 posts

Gracie's mamma was part Basset an' her daddy was from a good neighborhood ...........

--
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 months ago
1,764 posts

Chase and Gracie are both awfully cute!   Gracie reminds me a bit of my good old mutt Jasper, who seemed to have parts of Airdale and German shepherd.

--
Site Owner

Sam
@sam
6 months ago
231 posts

Gracie helping work up photos after a day on the trails. 

editor gracie1 750v.jpg

--
David Bennett
@david-bennett
6 months ago
39 posts

Strumelia:

What's the scale length of your Mercer, and how does it sound?  Do you play it much?

The VSL is 27 inches. I play it nearly every day as I really like the sound of it

Bob Reinsel
@bob-reinsel
6 months ago
102 posts

Chase doesn't like being picked up.  :-)

chase3.JPG

--
Bob
Site Moderator

The greatest music is made for love, not for money -- Greg Lake
Bee Lick Farm
@bee-lick-farm
6 months ago
36 posts

Hiya Strumelia,

20x40 is a darn nice, and manageable, sized garden. It's amazing how much you can produce in a plot of that size. Especially when you have bees right there in it. I have a theory that plentiful bee activity triggers the plants to produce more blossoms. It certainly seemed that way with our cukes and okra. We have plentiful natural polinators here anyway, but the presence of our bee colonies certainly seemed to put the cukes especially, into some sort of overdrive mode. Everyone that saw the cukes at their peak commented that they'd never seen so many blooms. The okra, (standard Clemson Spineless) grew to over 7 feet tall. I've never seen okra like that, pretty amazing.

This is our first year with the bees, going into our first winter with them now. We started with 2 nucs (they go for $150-$160 here)... but lost one at the end of summer. One colony has been super healthy and good all along, the other never really did take off like it should have. They were a weak colony and the fall dearth, compounded by robber bees, wasps, and hornets was more than they could take. We are hoping that the strong hive will make it through. We'll get a few more nucs in the spring, either way. My goal is to have 5-10 colonies within the next couple years by building colonies and making splits.

Our little operation is more than your average backyard garden, but it is not quite a commercial type operation either. We fall somewhere in between the two. Makes it tough in some ways when we need bigger equipment or more commercial setups, but yet cannot justify the costs. We try to plant enough for us... and the deer... and to share with neighbors and town folk. This year we managed to share quite a bit of produce, fill a respectable sized pantry and stuff a large deep-freeze so full that we must be careful when opening the door or stuff will fall out.

We also do a bit of foraging on the land here. The biggest resource for that is our blackberry patch. Approximately ½ acre or so... with some oddball red variety off to one side and a section of White hybrids between them and the black blackberries. Really odd, but other folks in our area have similar patches. The honest-to-goodness Black, blackberries are the best... I may just bush-hog those odd variants. The novelty wears off quickly when comparing taste quality.

For your chicken thing... Roosters are the noisy, neighbor-maddening component. If you were free-ranging, I'd say you should have a rooster in the flock... but for pen-kept hens, they do not need a rooster. For you... 6 hens will keep you in enough eggs for breakfast and cooking. Give them 10 sq.ft per bird of outside area and 2 sq.ft. inside space and feed them high-quality laying mash. Spend lots of time with them when they're little, to have easy-to-handle adults. More space is even better, but those dimensions will keep them happy. Happy chickens make the best eggs.

Our goal here is to produce as much of our own food as possible in a responsible and sustainable manner. We do not use pesticides or chemical fertilizers. So far the adventure/experiment has been a wonderful experience with many rewards and enjoyment.

OK, this mini-novel is long enough... check ya later,

- Tony

updated by @bee-lick-farm: 12/16/16 12:44:28PM
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 months ago
1,764 posts

Instead of clicking the "Attach File" button, you click the little editor button that looks like a film strip, to the left of the smiley button.  Then choose the "upload an image" tab in there, and select the size of your embedded image etc.  That embeds an image file from your computer.

What's the scale length of your Mercer, and how does it sound?  Do you play it much?

--
Site Owner

David Bennett
@david-bennett
6 months ago
39 posts

Strumelia:

Oooh...I'm soooo envious!!!- you have one of Seymour's Mercer scheitholts ?!  what

Yes, I had Ben make it for me about two years ago.

BTW I'm not sure what I did wrong. I was trying to get the photo to show up in the post and not as an attachment...

Strumelia
@strumelia
6 months ago
1,764 posts

Sam, I've been having problems anchoring my various plants down in my aquarium, since they have no roots yet, and the critters pick at them a bit.  It's been frustrating and messy..tying the plant bunches to little rocks etc.  Today I'm doing a routine water change (20% every week or two) and while I have the water level lower I'm going to rearrange lots of stuff (again).  I'm afraid it'll take a lot of this plant fussing until things settle and certain plants establish themselves while others fall by the wayside.  My fish, snails and shrimp seem to be doing fine though, and I hope they don't mind when I keep busting in to move the furniture around on them repeatedly.  They like it that bunches of plants go renegade and wind up floating in messy 'islands'...but I don't!

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
@strumelia
6 months ago
1,764 posts

David Bennett:

Peachy sits next to our fiber optic tree for hours, I have no idea why

Id' guess she's 'claiming' it, since it's low down, in her territorial 'temperate zone'.

Oooh...I'm soooo envious!!!- you have one of Seymour's Mercer scheitholts ?!  what

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
@strumelia
6 months ago
1,764 posts

Bee Lick-  I had 5 beehives this year, but one died during the summer, so we went into winter with 4.  With any luck I'll have at least 2 survivors in the spring, and can then split again.  Our yard doesn't support space for more than 5 hives in back of my 20' x 40' veggie garden.  On the occasion when I have more bees than I can use, I sell the extras as nucs.  A good early season organic nuc brings $250 in my area...!  
I also raise native mason bees on my kitchen porch.  When I have a surplus of cocoons in a good year, I sell a thousand or more of them to a commercial seller. But the past 2 years have been difficult for native bees, so have had no extras to sell.  I keep both kinds of bees really just for our own enjoyment and honey and pollinating, not for selling stuff.  On a good year I'll take like 100 lbs of honey from my biggest hives and that lasts for a couple years for us and our 3 grown kids as well, and a few gifts for friends.

You really have a whole farm going there!  My setup is just a little backyard.  We've often daydreamed about keeping some chickens or pygmy goats...but really we can't without annoying the neighbors..we're right on the village outskirts.  It's good for me to be sensible about our limits here.  We do get quite a few pints of blueberries from our little garden though, and tons of lettuce and tomatoes!  drool

--
Site Owner

David Bennett
@david-bennett
6 months ago
39 posts

Peachy sits next to our fiber optic tree for hours, I have no idea why

Sam
@sam
6 months ago
231 posts

Strumelia:

Sam, when reading about the nutritional requirements of freshwater shrimp and snails, it said that a diet of only the algae they can scavenge was not complete in terms of minerals, calcium, iron, etc.  I read that giving them a small weekly treat of a piece of blanched zucc, cucumber, spinach or carrot supplies the other nutrients they need. For example the snails need the high calcium in those veggies to grow strong shells that won't crack. And the little shrimp sometimes breed if they have a healthy diet.  babycrawl   My two otocinclus catfish youngsters benefit from it as well- they sure go bananas bananadanceover a piece of zucchini.
It's easy to cut up and blanch a small zucc. or cucumber, freeze it in a bag to take a piece out every few days.
(can you tell I enjoy the naturalist detaills of all this?)  lol

WOW! Wish I'd know these things when I had my tank. I'll be sure to remember it if I get another too. Thanks Strumelia! :)

--
Bee Lick Farm
@bee-lick-farm
6 months ago
36 posts

garden1.JPG

By the end of the season, this entire area was planted in garden. Harvest this year was abundant. We were blessed.

updated by @bee-lick-farm: 12/16/16 12:08:28AM
Bee Lick Farm
@bee-lick-farm
6 months ago
36 posts

Thank you M'dam.

We sure do love our chickens. All of our neighbors do too. Nuttin' better than farm-fresh eggs.

Hoping to get a few dairy goats soon too. Or soon-ish anyway. Big step there; pasture, goat house and milking parlor and all.

I saw in one of your posts that you have bees. We do too. I gotta say, bees are just about the coolest and most interesting pets ever. We really enjoy the bee thing, really fun stuff.

Of course, I baby, and talk to, and think of all the plants as pets too...

Here is a photo from early in the year, just getting this garden area ready for planting. This is our main garden, and the biggest. That's me out there building a trellis of some sort. Chicken house off to the left there.

This year's harvest was Italian and super-long and Fortex pole beans, raspberries, bottle gourds, kale, collards, 'maters, sweet tators, cabbages, snow peas, beets, cukes, okra, punkins, squash, zucchini, Georgia candy roasters, brussels sprouts, russet tators, asparagus, carrots, garlic, onion, leek, all sorts of pepper varieties and several types of herbs... oh and wheat, corn, turnips, etc. We also put up 73 pounds of wild blackberries from up on the hill.

All of those "pets", plus my ol' kitty cat. Yeah, we love our critters and trees and plants and such :)

- Tony

updated by @bee-lick-farm: 12/16/16 12:23:50AM
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 months ago
1,764 posts

Oh boy- what beautiful fowl!  clapper

--
Site Owner

/ 6