Show Us Your Pets!

Sam
@sam
2 weeks ago
238 posts

Jim Fawcett:

Got up this morning to find Hazel squeezed into the chair. I guess she was comfy. My neck started to hurt just looking at her.

DSC_8612.JPG

Hope she's ok Jim. I'd need a neck brace after a few minutes of that. Great shot for a chuckle to start my day!  nod

--
A strum is just a smile turned upside LOUD!
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
2 weeks ago
150 posts

Got up this morning to find Hazel squeezed into the chair. I guess she was comfy. My neck started to hurt just looking at her.

DSC_8612.JPG

--
Site Moderator
HEWalker
@hewalker
4 weeks ago
26 posts

Strumelia:

Those pix of Jasper are simply the CUTEST!!!  What a terrific smile he has while being Captain of the ship!   grin

When I was 18 I got a mutt puppy at the pound, and named him Jasper.  He was a big airdale/shepherd mix but he had the typical scruffy terrier mustache and ears and I loved him.  Jasper was a good dog and I had him til he died peacefully at age 14.

What a sweet memory!!!

Strumelia
@strumelia
4 weeks ago
1,866 posts

Those pix of Jasper are simply the CUTEST!!!  What a terrific smile he has while being Captain of the ship!   grin

When I was 18 I got a mutt puppy at the pound, and named him Jasper.  He was a big airdale/shepherd mix but he had the typical scruffy terrier mustache and ears and I loved him.  Jasper was a good dog and I had him til he died peacefully at age 14.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
HEWalker
@hewalker
4 weeks ago
26 posts

Lois Sprengnether Keel:

Jasper fits his name.  Never saw a long haired JackRussel.  JRs are the original Perpetual Motion machine.  I can well believe  "He is the captain of our sailboat, he is the head ranger when we camp, and he rules the house!!!!"

Yes Jasper does fit him well!!!!!  Motion doesn't even explain it! LOL

HEWalker
@hewalker
4 weeks ago
26 posts

Robin Thompson:

Jasper is a handsome fellow!  

Thank you-we sorta LOVE  silly guy!!!!!

Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
4 weeks ago
83 posts

Jasper fits his name.  Never saw a long haired JackRussel.  JRs are the original Perpetual Motion machine.  I can well believe  "He is the captain of our sailboat, he is the head ranger when we camp, and he rules the house!!!!"

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 weeks ago
921 posts

Jasper is a handsome fellow!  

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
HEWalker
@hewalker
4 weeks ago
26 posts

This is Jasper.....he's a long haired JackRussel-rescue pet!   He is the captain of our sailboat, he is the head ranger when we camp, and he rules the house!!!!  We adopted him about 5 years ago and he is getting very white around the edges.

Strumelia
@strumelia
4 weeks ago
1,866 posts

Caleb- looking good!

The hardest part with the brand new aquarium is having to WAIT for at least a couple of weeks for the new water to 'cycle' through its initial nitrogen cycles so that it's safer when introducing the new critters.   I can say that Amano shrimp are about the hardiest and are large enough to really observe well.  I had red and blue shrimp but they were very delicate compared to the amano.

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
@strumelia
4 weeks ago
1,866 posts

Lois Sprengnether Keel:

Must be only on the bigger screens of desktop as, thank heavens, it's not on my tablet or there wouldn't be enough to see.

Lois, on mobile phone/tablet screens, the Chat window is a separate page, accessible via your mobile drop-down menu... for that very reason, to jive with smaller mobile screens.

--
Site Owner

Caleb Dan Bennett
@caleb-dan-bennett
4 weeks ago
27 posts

I just got rid of all my saltwater animals. I decided to go with a freshwater planted tank. Maybe get some fancy shrimp or something. I'm in the aquascaping stage right now trying to find just the right look. lol  Here's pics of what I got so far.

Hardscape rt side.jpg

Hardscape front.jpg
Hardscape front.jpg  •  58KB

Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
4 weeks ago
83 posts

Thanks, Lisa.

I will try to remember that.  (The joys of sporadic checking in!).  Must be only on the bigger screens of desktop as, thank heavens, it's not on my tablet or there wouldn't be enough to see.

Strumelia
@strumelia
4 weeks ago
1,866 posts

Lois, click on this button to reduce the width or minimize the chat window:

chat.jpg

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
@strumelia
4 weeks ago
1,866 posts

Lois, I use the dirty change water to water all my plants, too!  It's liquid gold for them.  flower  I have about a dozen indoor cactus and succulent plants around the house... some are pretty large and they all appreciate the old murky fish water.  spaghetti

--
Site Owner

Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
4 weeks ago
83 posts

Lisa, I enjoyed your tale of aquarium cleaning.  (Even though I can't seem to be able to reduce or remove the @#$! Chat box over the edge -- about 8 spaces it seems.) 

I try to clean it roughly monthly or so.  I store some of the removed water, the more muck the better.  This gets used on houseplants.  It's an old Native American trick.  They would add a dead fish -- obviously bigger fish than aquarium fish.

Several months ago I finally took a great offer and replaced my very old tank.  WOW!  Should have done it years ago.  There really is a lifespan on how long you can keep the tank looking really good.

I raise lots of fancy guppies with a loach and a catfish lurking around.  Aquaria may not get as much talking about as our "fur kids", but it's great to remember them, too.

Sam
@sam
one month ago
238 posts

Thank you Lisa  hi

--
Strumelia
@strumelia
one month ago
1,866 posts

Oh yes I remember looking at your photo site a while back Sam.. beautiful!

----------------------- 

I got off my duff and cleaned up my aquarium yesterday... long overdue.

My year old aquarium (which i do periodic water changes and maintenance on)... eventually became overrun with beautiful Java moss and Christmas moss... lovely, and the fish love it, but it was harder and harder to see any fish or rocks or branches... just masses of moss.  Under the moss was accumulated brown muck, so just cutting back the moss didn't make things nice again.  There was a lot of sediment and algae that needed me to roll up my sleeves to deal with.

Yesterday I spent about 5 hours completely tearing apart the tank to do a major cleanup.  I netted out the fish to keep them safe in three gallons of the clean top water that I siphoned into a bucket and put aside.  I removed all the plants and rinsed them, trimmed them and removed dead leaves, detangled them into neat groupings. Cleaned all the glass with a razor blade.  Took the whole filter apart and cleaned all the parts.  Scrubbed the heater clean.  I emptied the dirty water from the tank and stirred/rinsed the gravel, rocks, and driftwood.  So much sludgy muck!

Finally got the tank half filled with fresh water, rearranged all the cleaned rocks, driftwood, and plants, and got the filter working to clear things up.  A couple hours later things looked good so I finally added back in the bucket of (clean) aged water, and the fish.  By last night the filter had cleared everything pretty nicely, so I rinsed the filter sponges again and went to bed.

Amazingly, all the 17 fish seem very perky and happy this morning, eating well and swimming actively in their fresh new crystal clean world, exploring all the new nooks and crannies.  Frankly I'm amazed that I didn't lose a single fish during this huge upheaval.

Now it's fun to watch my aquarium in my office again... wheee! 

Here's the result (not a great photo but you get the general idea):

Oct2017.jpg 

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 10/13/17 06:59:30PM
Sam
@sam
one month ago
238 posts

Thanks Jim. I need to put up some more Gracie pics there :)

Small back to nature site Lisa. There's a photo blog too where we post photos.

--
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
one month ago
150 posts
Lisa, that's Sam's web site.
Awnaturale......
AN

--
Site Moderator
Strumelia
@strumelia
one month ago
1,866 posts

Jim, Sam said this:

Sam:

Great photo Jim. Can't see 'em on AN. Glad I got to see them here. 

--
Site Owner

Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
one month ago
150 posts

Strumelia:

Izzy is livin' large...  bananadance

Sam, Jim-  what's "AN" ?

Lisa, what do you mean? "AN"? Don't see that anywhere.

--
Site Moderator
Strumelia
@strumelia
one month ago
1,866 posts

Izzy is livin' large...  bananadance

Sam, Jim-  what's "AN" ?

--
Site Owner

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
one month ago
921 posts

That's the life!  :)

--
Robin T
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
one month ago
150 posts

Looks like she's nice and comfy...not a care in the world now.

--
Site Moderator
cacofonix
@cacofonix
one month ago
1 posts

So I haven't got any MD related offerings to share yet but I do have a very nice dog called Izzy, our rescued Lurcher.

Izzy.JPG.jpg
Izzy.JPG.jpg  •  1.4MB

Sam
@sam
one month ago
238 posts

'Hissy' fit? whistle

--

updated by @sam: 10/06/17 05:43:26AM
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
one month ago
921 posts

Vicious!  haha

--
Robin T
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
2 months ago
150 posts
Thanks, Lisa. My camera is set at a high shutter speed. I let it run when I think I might have a good shot coming up.

--
Site Moderator
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 months ago
1,866 posts

Jim, you post the BEST photos of your fur friends!  How do you time it to so perfectly capture their moments of expressing themselves!?

--
Site Owner

Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
2 months ago
150 posts

Really, they are getting along better.

DSC_7707 (2).JPG.jpg
DSC_7707 (2).JPG.jpg  •  757KB

--
Site Moderator
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
2 months ago
150 posts

Robin Thompson:

Hazel & Lilo are a perfect pair, Jim! 

Yeah, Robin. It's like Mutt and Jeff...LOL

--
Site Moderator
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
2 months ago
150 posts

Sam:

Wonder why, Sam? 

--
Site Moderator
Sam
@sam
2 months ago
238 posts

--
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 months ago
1,866 posts

Holy cow, that's just adoooooooorable!!!!  heartbeat

--
Site Owner

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 months ago
921 posts

Hazel & Lilo are a perfect pair, Jim! 

--
Robin T
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
2 months ago
150 posts

Our newest addition, Lilo. An Australian Cattle Dog. Hazel thinks she's a nice chew toy.

DSC_7309.JPG.jpg
DSC_7309.JPG.jpg  •  1.8MB

Lilo.jpg
Lilo.jpg  •  613KB

--
Site Moderator
Sam
@sam
3 months ago
238 posts

Scooter must have been very 'motor-vated'. whistle

--
Dan Goad
@dan-goad
3 months ago
173 posts

Introducing the "CAR-nivorus Scooter"

"Scooter" is my friend Alan's American Bulldog (wt approx 80 lbs)  Last weekend whilr Alan and I were watching a movie together on Alan's big scren TV, a neighbor knocked on the door and informed us that "Scooter" was busy trying o eat my car.  We ran ouutsiode to see what was going on.  The picture shows the damage and the  'guilty' party.  App[arantly, I had run over wssome sort of "road kill" that left an alluring scent on the wheel well.  I'm not too upset with "scoots" as she is normally a sweetheart.

DSCN0013.JPG.jpg
DSCN0013.JPG.jpg  •  3.6MB

DSCN0001.JPG.jpg
DSCN0001.JPG.jpg  •  3.5MB

Strumelia
@strumelia
4 months ago
1,866 posts

Oh boy, that second shot Jim, Hazel's excitement!  lol!

--
Site Owner

Sam
@sam
4 months ago
238 posts

Great shots Jim. Thanks for sharing with us ... and Hazel!!!  :)

--
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
4 months ago
150 posts

Hazel likes smores. We left out the chocolate, but I don't think she minded.

DSC_3935.JPG.jpg
DSC_3935.JPG.jpg  •  1.8MB

DSC_3936.JPG.jpg
DSC_3936.JPG.jpg  •  1.8MB

--
Site Moderator
Anne Maguire
@anne-maguire
4 months ago
10 posts

He is happier in this one! In fact, he settled well, was eating about 12" apart from Pug on day two, and the two of them were playing within 6 weeks - Pug took 18 months to play with the blue boy! Pug still spits and hisses occasionally, but as he was still doing that with the blue boy after six and a half years I'm not too concerned about it - they are finding their own balance!

P3240006Bran.jpg
P3240006Bran.jpg  •  41KB

Strumelia
@strumelia
4 months ago
1,866 posts

Anne- Yeah that look- like he's still a bit suspicious of things.   ;D

I had a grey tabby once who had a tiny speck of cream colored fur right on her forehead.  That speck was about the size of half a grain of rice, but dang it sure used to bother me!  Sometimes I'd take a Sharpie and feather it into the spot to make it unnoticeable.  It would work for a few days but then the marker would fade and the cream spot was there again.  Brian used to laugh at me for using the magic marker on her.  catdance 

--
Site Owner

Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
4 months ago
150 posts

Nice shot, Anne. Looks like he tolerated the shot ok. But he has that look... LOL. He's a nice kitty. 

--
Site Moderator
Anne Maguire
@anne-maguire
4 months ago
10 posts

I got my rescue Birthmas cat just 4 days before Christmas last year - he has been with me and my ginga-ninja 7 months now and is an absolute sweetie. Jet black save about 12 white hairs here and there, and a whitish spot on his nose leather where he had been bitten by a mosquito (he's allergic to them) - the white spot is gradually getting smaller, so hopefully I wont have to ink in a black spot over it! :-)

Black cats are notoriously difficult to photograph well, but I think this one is ok.

P1290006.JPG.jpg
P1290006.JPG.jpg  •  46KB

Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
4 months ago
150 posts
That's funny, Lisa. Great shots.

--
Site Moderator
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 months ago
1,866 posts

This is what you get when you rotate pictures of cats napping.

Teddy, dancing like no one is watching....

DSC02445.JPG

DSC02442.JPG

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 07/26/17 10:57:05AM
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
6 months ago
354 posts

Gwyn, Toby is a very special little critter and so very cute. I too have a dog "Smiley" who has turned into my Therapy Friend for me and others. They are the best kind of friends. sun

Gwyn
@gwyn
6 months ago
1 posts

IMG_0073.JPG  This is TOBY!  He is a UFO (unidentifiable fluffy ornament) who has the dubious

job of being my Medical Alert companion.  He weighs just 2.5 lbs.  He is a joy! 

Salt Springs
@salt-springs
6 months ago
112 posts

A extraordinarily nice cat showed up this week and decided to claim a spot on my back deck.  I figured one more would not make any difference since my forest menagerie comes and goes............her picture and her mothers day gift to me......a surprise group of 6 that showed up. (2 Black, 2 Black & white, 1 White and 1 Orange)

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0003.JPGDSC_0024.JPGDSC_0003.JPGDSC_0012.JPG

Sam
@sam
6 months ago
238 posts

img

--
D. Chitwood
@d-chitwood
7 months ago
145 posts

I'll try to add photos of my crew. We have Abby the calico, who keeps me up all.night.long. wanting to be petted. Then she sleeps all day. We also have Dark Kitty.  Savannah our lab and Paddy Bear, the English shepherd.

abby.jpg

038.JPG

phpSzEgadPM.jpg

unnamed.jpg

updated by @d-chitwood: 05/02/17 10:17:53PM
Sam
@sam
7 months ago
238 posts

Strumelia:

Sam- that waterfall is so gorgeous- is it in your yard??

I have a waterfall in the yard, this isn't it. 

--
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 months ago
1,866 posts

They say Border collie type dogs are among the smartest dogs of all.  nerd  I admire how they loyally follow their owners' every move.

--
Site Owner

Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
7 months ago
354 posts

Gordon, I used to live on a mountain in OR and would find bull elk peeking in my window at 4 a.m., they would wake up the neighbors by rubbing their camp trailer, they are beautiful and very big.

Now I live around antalope, it was fun a month ago seeing the bucks with their cows and now I see a lone buck in the field, I look forward to see the cows and their babies soon.

Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
7 months ago
354 posts

Kevin, I adopted my Smiley dog 3 months after being diagnosed with aggressive Rheumatoid  Arthritis and he is my amazing friend for 11 years he has kept me moving and gives me comfort every day. He also loves visiting folks in nursing facilities.

Smiley expects hearing mountain dulcimer or string instrument music each day he fits in well. It is wonderful to have a therapy friend.

DSCF1610.JPG

updated by @lexie-r-oakley: 05/02/17 12:26:24PM
Kevin Keating
@kevin-keating
7 months ago
13 posts

These are my girls, Dolly n Teala.  I call Teala my therapy dog.  :)

Photo12031049.jpg
Photo12031049.jpg  •  309KB

Strumelia
@strumelia
7 months ago
1,866 posts

Gordon, that's amazing!  We get LOTS of whitetailed deer here in NY... can't imagine how majestic elk are in the back yard.  I ate an elk steak once in Quebec.  surprised

Sam- that waterfall is so gorgeous- is it in your yard??

Tip for folks with tropical fish aquariums: If you want to keep algae under control... forget snails and catfish...just get a couple of mollies.... holy cow, they are total algae-eating machines!  They are cleaning all the algae off my aquarium surfaces and off the live plants without even damaging the plant leaves.

I recently got three 'green lantern' platies (also good algae eaters) and two 'gold panda' mollies.  This is what the panda mollies look like (not my photo):

molly.jpg

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 05/02/17 12:01:21PM
Gordon Hardy
@gordon-hardy
7 months ago
15 posts

These aren't pets but thought I'd share anyway. This small herd of elk came to visit on April 30 and had a good browse on the new growth on our garden shrubs before they paid their respects and moved on. This is a photo of them leaving the yard.

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 months ago
921 posts

I enjoy seeing y'all's pets!  

George, I offer my deepest sympathy.  

--
Robin T
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
7 months ago
150 posts

One happy pup...

--
Site Moderator
Sam
@sam
7 months ago
238 posts

Never a dull moment with Gracie.

img

img

--
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
7 months ago
354 posts

Sorry for the loss of your friend George.

Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
7 months ago
60 posts

Tennesse Jed - thanks for sharing your spoiled puppies!!!  They are adorable!  That's great that they are best friends!  smile

Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
7 months ago
60 posts

George, I am so sorry to hear about your Lady.  She was absolutely adorable, and I am sure was was even sweeter.  I know all too well how heartbreaking it is to say goodbye to our pets....as they aren't just pets, but are family. sniffcry

Tennessee Jed
@tennessee-jed
7 months ago
5 posts

Didn't know this was here, so I suppose I'll put our spoiled puppies on here too.

Sorry George for the loss of "Lady".  God gives us wonderful companions on Earth. I miss all of my animals we've had over the years that have passed.

Here is our Blue Tick Coonhound named Abigail {She isn't even a year old yet} and Our Weenie Dog Sebastian who will be 13 years old this year. They are the best of friends.

IMG_0033.JPG.jpg
IMG_0033.JPG.jpg  •  6.9MB

IMG_0008.JPG.jpg
IMG_0008.JPG.jpg  •  6.2MB

Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
7 months ago
150 posts

So sorry, George.

--
Site Moderator
Sam
@sam
7 months ago
238 posts

Heartbreaking George. 

--
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 months ago
1,866 posts

Ohh George, my heart goes out to you.  We love our little furry 'children' so very much.  What a long and happy life you gave to her!

--
Site Owner

Estes George
@george-desjardins
7 months ago
113 posts

Well, sadly just  a couple hours ago, I had to put my best friend of nearly 19 years to rest. So many good years, walks, play time, and conversations, yep, we all talk to our dogs like they are going to answer.

While so obviously time, doggie dementia, loss of vision, hearing, mobility. It makes it no easier does it? Rest in peace old "Lady" dog, I'm gonna miss you.

Your little buddy is looking for you too, she knows somethings up, keeps looking for you, think she knows, there's little dog tears coming down.

LadyFinalRIP4-25-17.jpg

Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
8 months ago
338 posts

Lisa, is there anything you can't do? I loved the part where the crayfish were eating the Feta cheese, and one of them was rolling it up and saving it for later. The Octopus was fun to watch too. grin

Strumelia
@strumelia
8 months ago
1,866 posts

I took a little video of my aquarium yesterday, when i noticed my amano shrimp were posing nicely while eating an algae wafer.  Two snails got in on the action too.

--
Site Owner

Jim Yates
@jim-yates
9 months ago
58 posts

Not pets, but very friendly.  In Port Hope we have a waterfront trail that goes through the woods beside the north shore of Lake Ontario.  I take a walk down this trail most days and often bring Maggie, my wife with me.  There are some very friendly animals on the trail.  I've had chipmunks sit on the toe of my shoe. Last week, Maggie decided to bring a bag of bird seed to feed the chickadees.  They flew over and sat on her hand for a meal. 

Chickadee  2272017 f.jpg

updated by @jim-yates: 03/02/17 01:23:16PM
Laurel K Scott
@laurel-k-scott
9 months ago
14 posts

Thanks, Jim. I'd be lost without her. She even saved my life once. "Though she be but little, she is fierce." :)

/ 6