Christmas songs for seniors?

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

Again , thanks for your concern.  When I awoke from a 2 hr nap this afternoon,  I felt so much better.   I was even able to hold some baked fish and potatoes down.  

"Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat....."

One of my favorites. 

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

Terry, 

Sorry you were ill but the seniors will enjoy another time of music when you can make it. I played for seniors at a nursing home and we gave them some bells, they enjoyed taking part.

Sweet time to share, Merry Christmas

Blondie
Blondie
@blondie
8 years ago
27 posts

Ouch Terry - not a good thing to happen. Please take care and I agree with another post to stay hydrated. Hope you are up to doing that gig next week!

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
8 years ago
229 posts

Aww Terry so sorry you got so sick, food poisoning is scary, oysters got me and I am amazed that I can tell the story.

I hope you do what Lisa, your wife and daughter tell you "Drink Water" and me....feel better soon.

Can you reschedule your gig, aww gee sure am thinking of you and your family. HUG  

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

Guys and ladies

Thank you for your kind comments.  This is one of the many reasons FOTMD is such a wonderful community.  Kind of like an extended family.  I love it.

Gail, my wife, and my daughter, a 25+ years RN, are constantly reminding me of how important additional fluids are to speed up recovery.   Like mother hens.☺😊😊

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,252 posts

Terry, much of that weight loss may be fluids and dehydration- so be sure to drink lots of water for a while now!

I was at a music party just last night and an older gentleman collapsed and was unresponsive for a couple minutes- quite a scare.  We all thought he had a heart attack but apparently he was just severely dehydrated and it was made worse when he had a glass of wine and his blood pressure suddenly dropped- thank goodness one of the guests was a nurse who monitored him til the ambulance got there.  At midnight his wife emailed us all to let us know he was ok and they were home from the hospital, and about dehydration being the cause.

So Terry, just saying that you surely must be partly still dehydrated after your ordeal-  so take that seriously and 'drink like a fish' for a few days...water, that is!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Guy Babusek
Guy Babusek
@guy-babusek
8 years ago
96 posts

I'm so sorry you got so sick, Terry.  Most of that weight loss is water weight, and you will gain some back after you are completely stable.  There is nothing more distressing than food poisoning.  I'm so glad to hear you are out of the hospital and back home. That is good news.  Feel better fast, and have a very merry Christmas!

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
8 years ago
231 posts

Terry, I can believe it. I knew someone who got bad spinach a few years ago. She dropped a lot of weight. She did say it was a blessing in disguise as she said she needed to lose some weight. Well, she did, unexpectedly, but she did. She said she would have preferred to drop the weight another way but she was happy that she did. I hope you feel better soon. I'll say a prayer for you. :)

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

Thank y'all for commiserating with me.  Feeling better but still having trouble keeping food down.  My weight is a consistent 155, but now down to 145.  

Can you believe that?  10 lbs in 5 days.  I need to go on TV and sell a new weight loss program.  "The Chittlins Less Diet".😅

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
399 posts

Ken, I think I gained a couple pounds just reading your post!  Seriously, it sounds yummy!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,123 posts

We get the real "Figgy Pudding"  a.k.a.  Christmas Pud.  Lady Sally's Mum started it this time last year, and it has been "maturing" for the best part of 12 months.  This year we're having our English Christmas Dinner on Christmas Day rather than Boxing Day.  That day I'll simmer the Pud in its container for 3 hours or so before unmolding and pouring brandy over it to be lit.  Mum's version is very dense like a fruit cake, but without the big chunks of fruit, and we serve it with Custard and whipped cream.   

Our dinner is traditional roasted beef stabbed with garlic cloves (this year a 6 lb Rib Roast) with roasted potatoes, parsnips and carrots, and green beans.  Sally also makes her family's moulded Yorkshire Puddings, made in cast iron open top molds.

Lisa Golladay
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
8 years ago
108 posts

Oh no!  I'm so glad you're feeling better.  Good on ya for knowing enough to go to the hospital when you needed it.  I know people who were too stubborn and almost missed the boat.  Now I'm wishing you good luck and a great time on Tuesday!

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
399 posts

Terry, having had food poisoning many times in my life (including many bouts with "holiday food" that makes me deathly ill but doesn't seem to make anyone else sick), so I can really sympathize.  My system will even selectively choose certain ingredients to reject, having no problem with the rest, or will reject the food I ate at dinner, but not the snacks I had at the party several hours later.  I can't for the life of me figure out how my body does that, but it has, for sure made for some unpleasant holiday memories!  On the other hand, isn't holiday food lovely?!  Merry Christmas, everyone, and may we all have our version of "figgy pudding" to eat in good health! 

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

Hog chitterlings.  I've always liked chittlins, but never ever again.

The hospital actually reported this to the HD.

As far as I know, I'm the only one.  I have a very very sensitive stomach.  About every 90 days I have an episode.   But this was different.  Thought I was going to die.   Scared me and my wife.

Not out of the woods yet, but at least I am home.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,726 posts

Too bad you got sick, Terry.  I had food poisoning a few months ago and was surprised how long I suffered from it.  Your case must have been worse if you ended in the hospital.  I hope you're back on your feet and strumming happily soon.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,252 posts

Terry!  sadsmile    Gee i am glad you are here to tell the tale!  That must have been very bad to put you in the hospital for two days .  Did anyone else get sick?  Did you need to report it to the health dept?-  I once did after getting sick on frozen turkey burgers...wanted to be sure others didn't have to suffer, especially seniors or children.

Poor Terry!  Big hug to you.  I sincerely hope you are all better by next week.

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 12/19/16 09:04:48PM
Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

Unfortunately,  I had to cancel my "gig" scheduled for tomorrow morning.   I just returned from a two nights at the hospital.   Severe case of food poisoning. 

Feeling netter, bit still weak.Rescheduled for next Tuesday. 

Blondie,  that was a great idea.   I am sure you were much appreciated. 

Blondie
Blondie
@blondie
8 years ago
27 posts

My friends and I just recently played at a nursing home and decided to just go up and down the halls caroling instead of having the director and aides bring the seniors to us... It worked out quite nicely. We paused where people were in their rooms and sang a couple tunes and moved on. Our set is about the same as has been mentioned previously, but we added Go Tell It On the Mountain and they clearly know that one and will/did sing along!

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

Lisa, Lexie, and Jan

Thank y'all so much for your feedback.  I do absorb all you write.  

Lisa, I'll be practicing with him this afternoon on using the mic.  And again this weekend.  Good tips you offered.  

Jan, I really love the quote at the bottom of your posts.  So very true.  I suspect there are thousands upon thousands of performers out there, not good enough to be paid with cash, but adequate enough to earn a plate of cookies or a boy howdy.  Love it!😊☺

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
399 posts

That's great news, Terry!

Actually, the song to which I referred has verses about bringing us some figgy pudding and not leaving 'til we get some, but Feliz Navidad is a great song, too!

Last night I went to the taping of the Red Barn Radio Show and heard lovely performances of many old favorites and some new-to-me, like Two-steppin' 'round the Christmas Tree.  Sarah Morgan wowed us with several, including the Cherry Tree Carol and Star of the East (aka Brightest and Best).

If you sing the ones you like best, your enthusiasm will come through in your performance!

I do hope you can post a video!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
8 years ago
229 posts

Sounds like you are beginning a new family Christmas tradition Terry! It is fabulous you and your boys will be doing this together, I am sure the folks will enjoy your singing.

I am looking forward to the video.

Lisa Golladay
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
8 years ago
108 posts

How delightful!  If your little vocalist doesn't have experience using a microphone (don't you love kids today?) be sure to spend a minute or two beforehand testing where he should hold it and work out a couple of hand signals for you or Dad to give him during the songs: closer and farther away.  Just a few inches can make the difference between hearing him, not hearing him, and summoning banshees :-) 

Have a great time.  I'm looking forward to the video!

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

I got a nice surprise yesterday.  I recently learned a new to me song, "Feliz Navidad".  I think this is the same one Jan suggested, but as "I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas".  

The surprise was:  I picked my 6 year old grandson up from school yesterday, and while driving home, I began to quietly sing this song.  All of a sudden I hear him singing along with me.  He could sing the Spanish part better than I, as he had learned this song in his music class.  

The surprise is:  He has agreed to sing this song with me at an assisted living home on Tues Dec. 20th.  He is very excited about it, especially about holding the mic.  His little voice is in tune and sounds so sweet.   "His" plan is for him to do the Spanish part solo, and then we sing the English part together.

His dad, my son,  plans to video it on a stationary video, and play bass acoustic guitar and sing along too.  

We have also agreed to do "Jingle Bells", and "Christmas is Coming".  He is not bashful at all about getting in front of people and this brings huge smiles all around.  

If all of this really happens, and I believe it will, my son will edit the video and I'll post it in the video section.

Thanks to all for your most helpful suggestions.

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

Bring a Torch is my very, very favorite!  Was "I Wonder as I Wander" mentioned?  OH I have enjoyed reading this and what you are doing!!!!

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

Thanks Jan.  you're always so very helpful.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
399 posts

I Saw Three Ships Come Sailing In (quite easy and very lively)

O Come Little Children, O Come One and All  (they may remember singing this when they were children)

Good King Wenceslas (A good steady rhythm that works well with bells and shakers)

Go Tell it On the Mountain

Hark the Herald Angels Sing

What Child is This

O Christmas Tree

Angels From the Realms of Glory

Ding Dong Merrily on High

We Three Kings

There's a Song in the Air

We Wish You a Merry Christmas! (Good one to end on)

If there's anyone who can sing a familiar tune in a foreign language, that's always nice--but keep it short!

Also, what's familiar to one person may be totally unknown to someone else the same age living in the same city.  But keep in mind, too, that the Christmas hymns sung in church in the 1930's through the 1950's might not be the ones sung today, so I'd look for some old hymnals and see what they include.  Also, folks who would be clueless about "Holly Jolly Christmas" might be able to belt out "There's a Voice in the Wilderness Crying!" because they always sang that during Advent!

Anyway, I'm sure that whichever songs you choose, it will be great!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

Hey folks, I just wanted to say "thank you" to all who responded to my topic.  Picked up a couple of songs, Lisa shook my brain a little, and another Lisa led me to a fantastic web site to help me along.  All in all a real success.

thumbsup

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

Strumelia:

I think that in doing a show for seniors where they are encouraged to sing along or participate, it would be good to choose mostly familiar carols with widely known and easy to sing lyrics.  

Lisa, I believe you are absolutely correct . 

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
8 years ago
207 posts

Terry...........Jean Ritchie has an album called Carols for all Season which has some fun stuff on it that you might consider...........if you go to Spotify and sign up for the free version you can listen to all sorts of dulcimer music from her and a few others.........it's a great resource and one well worth having available and you cannot beat the price..........

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

John W. McKinstry:

Hi Terry, Two songs that come to my mind are: "Bring a Torch Jeannette Isabella. It has a lively folk feel to it. Another song which I have done at Christmas but actually is a Thanksgiving Song is: "Over The River And Through The Woods". 

John,

Thanks for suggesting "Over the River".

I don't know why I hadn't thought of this wonderful song.  I am sure the seniors will love it.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,252 posts

I think that in doing a show for seniors where they are encouraged to sing along or participate, it would be good to choose mostly familiar carols with widely known and easy to sing lyrics.  

--
Site Owner

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

More hours in 5he day?  Tell me about it.   it seems I retired 5 years ago to get busy about living.  I always remind myself ,  this is a choice I made.  

But 3 extra hours would be nice.☺

Again, thank you so much for the link.  this is really BIG.  Even HUGE.

Lisa Golladay
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
8 years ago
108 posts

Terry Wilson:

Lisa Golladay :

Silver Bells in C: http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.guitaretab.com/h/holiday/8449.html?songbook=&transpose=0&tuning=GCEA

If you play a bari, look on the right side of the page for "tuning" and select "baritone ukulele" to see chord diagrams.  Of course, the same chords work on MD as well.

Lisa, thanks for the web site above.  I never knew  this existed.  Wonderful.  The bari is my main ukulele, but I play it the same as my others, GCEA.  

Ain't it great?  With Chordie.com and a chord chart (whether for uke, dulci or both) we will never, ever be at a loss for songs to play.  Now we need a site that will find us more hours in the day :-)

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

Cynthia Wigington:

...and play a few hymns too, they (we? lol) love some hymns mixed in. Love you old pal, take care of yourself.

Hi Cynthia, always good to hear from you.   Yeah, I always mix in hymns.  Every week at an assisted living home, I play Amazinng Grace.  I always ask, "hey, what's a song ya'll want to hear?"  More times than not, they always say "Amazing Grace".  They love new, but love repetition better.  

You too take care of yourself, my ole young pal.

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

Lisa Golladay:

Silver Bells in C: http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.guitaretab.com/h/holiday/8449.html?songbook=&transpose=0&tuning=GCEA

If you play a bari, look on the right side of the page for "tuning" and select "baritone ukulele" to see chord diagrams.  Of course, the same chords work on MD as well.

Lisa, thanks for the web site above.  I never knew  this existed.  Wonderful.  The bari is my main ukulele, but I play it the same as my others, GCEA.  

Lisa Golladay
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
8 years ago
108 posts

Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
8 years ago
74 posts

...and play a few hymns too, they (we? lol) love some hymns mixed in. Love you old pal, take care of yourself.

John W. McKinstry
John W. McKinstry
@john-w-mckinstry
8 years ago
50 posts

Hi Terry, Two songs that come to my mind are: "Bring a Torch Jeannette Isabella. It has a lively folk feel to it. Another song which I have done at Christmas but actually is a Thanksgiving Song is: "Over The River And Through The Woods". 

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

Lisa, I would like the chords for Silver Bells.  Key of C, if you have it.  If not  I can possibly convert to C.

Thank you.☺
updated by @terry-wilson: 11/21/16 09:46:06PM
Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

The Friendly Beasts?  Never heard of the gitty up song.  Until now.  Researched it, and decided to learn it.  I like it.

Thanks Ken.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,082 posts

Angels We Have Heard On High, Joy To The World, Hark The Herald Angels Sing, Bring A Torch, The Friendly Beasts, O Come All Ye Faithful, The Holly and The Ivy. These are  just a few off the top of my head. I'm too lazy to go downstairs and look at our play list.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

Yeah, I have a home printer, and print large print lyric sheets, for most of my songs.  The ones that can, love to sing along.  The ones that can't ,  I still give them a sheet, so as not to feel left out.  Some hum .   Some read the words.

Thanks for your input . 

updated by @terry-wilson: 11/21/16 05:54:29PM
Lisa Golladay
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
8 years ago
108 posts

Winter Wonderland, Silver Bells and White Christmas always get people singing.  If you need uke chords for any of those, just let me know ;-)

On dulcimer you could add some happier traditional carols like Joy to the World and Angels We Have Heard on High.  My favorite Christmas song to play on dulcimer is In the Bleak Midwinter, but that song is entirely not going to make your setlist more cheerful! 

When the uke club plays senior centers, we often hand out lyric sheets to encourage singalongs.  Comes in handy on those 2nd and 3rd verses of even the most familiar carols.  Remember to use large type!

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

Lisa, your ideas are splindid.  I'll look into the bells and some cheery songs.  

You are right.  While beautiful songs, for the most part are slow sad songs.  Thanks for the eye opener .

Terry ☺😊😆

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,252 posts

Terry, I know you and some of your church friends sew tote bags for seniors.  Here's a thought-

You can buy crafter's big bags of 'jingle bells' pretty cheap on Ebay and Amazon.  How about sewing like 8 or 10 bells on soft fabric hand loops that can be passed around to residents to shake along during certain Christmas songs like of course Jingle Bells... but also some other 'cheery/jingly' songs like maybe Rudolf the Reindeer, Jolly old St Nick, Here Comes Santa Claus, and Frosty the Snowman?  
Terry your songlist has mostly slow and very beautiful carols --but might make some of the residents emotional to the point of crying (I know it would me!)- so perhaps intersperse some cheery peppy ones and make them shake their bells or some percussion eggshakers?  (good physical therapy to shake stuff, too!)

--
Site Owner

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,123 posts

Christmas songs for seniors?  Virtually every Christmas song written!!  I add a few Anglo-European songs as well -- I Saw Three Ships, Il Est Nee, Wexford Carol, Once In Royal David's City... 

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
8 years ago
297 posts

For the folks who play at senior centers, church senior groups, nursing and/or assisted living homes, I was just wondering of the songs you have selected to present.  I am hoping this may help me learn a new song or two.  My list is very short and familiar.  I've discovered that seniors, especially seniors at assisted living homes, love repetition and familiarity.  My list also includes the instrument I use.

Away In A Manger (Dulcimer)           Jingle Bells (Ukulele)           Beautiful Star of Bethlehem  (Ukulele)

O, Little Town of Bethlehem  (Dulcimer)               Silent Night  (Dulcimer)               The First Noel  (Dulcimer)

It Came Upon the Midnight Clear  (Dulcimer)

I would appreciate knowing what works for you.  happys

updated by @terry-wilson: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM