Introduce Yourself!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,727 posts

If you were really dense, @sunvalleylaw, you wouldn't apologize.  And there's nothing to apologize for anyway.  Unlike Facebook, which has the endless scroll that keeps moving, we try to maintain discussions and forums so they can be searched and used later on.

A couple of posts earlier, @ken-hulme posted a link to an article he wrote: Ken Hulme's "I Just Got A Dulcimer, Now What?" Article - Strumelia | fotmd.com .  The link is actually to a discussion about that article, but the first post in the discussion by our fearless leader @strumelia has a link to a pdf of the article.  Just follow the link above, scroll to the bottom of the discussion to find the first post, and you'll see that pdf link.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
sunvalleylaw
@sunvalleylaw
3 years ago
15 posts

@dusty-turtle, sorry to be dense, but navigation here is a little different from some other forums I am used to.  Which very first post?  In this thread? Sorry, still missing it.  :(

EDIT:  I followed the link, and I there is a post by @strumelia introducing the article, but that is all that is there.  Nothing to scroll down to and no other active link that shows up for me.  

EDIT to my EDIT:  Never mind.  I figured it out.  I had to join the “Beginners” group before the content showed up.  I am starting to figure out how to get around here.  I also joined a couple other groups, such as the modern/chording one, in which I have interest.  Cool place!

updated by @sunvalleylaw: 07/24/21 12:43:28PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,727 posts

@sunvalleylaw, the article is in a link in the very first post.  Follow Ken's link and then scroll to the bottom where you can find that first post.  You'll find the article there.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
sunvalleylaw
@sunvalleylaw
3 years ago
15 posts

Thank you, @ken-hulme.  Would love to read it. However, they link seems to take me to a place mentioning the article, but not including it.  Do you have a different link, or am I doing something wrong at that link?  Thanks!

Steve

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,124 posts

Here's the link to an article/pamphlet I wrote years ago called I Just Got A Dulcimer, Now What?   It's an illustrated glossary of dulcimer terms (so we all speak the same jargon (often different from guitar), plus answers to many beginner questions about tuning, playing, care and feeding of your new instrument.

Ken Hulme's "I Just Got A Dulcimer, Now What?" Article - Strumelia | fotmd.com

sunvalleylaw
@sunvalleylaw
3 years ago
15 posts

Thanks, Ken, for the suggestion!  I had already checked out what Richard and FolkCraft had put up on YouTube, and put it on the back of the scroll head.  BUT, if I end up wanting to have another option, I could always put another one on the side like you have in the pic.  Taking this on a family trip to Hood Canal, WA and will just mess around with it and get acquainted for a bit.  I am bringing some sand paper and a block of wood to see about the action if I find time.  

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
3 years ago
143 posts

Nice dulcimer, Steve! Great name!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,084 posts

Thanks for introducing yourself, Steve. Here is a suggestion for installing your strap buttons. If you play with the dulcimer flat on you lap, put the strap button on the peg head end on the side of peg head on the side opposite your playing. This will put the head of the dulcimer in toward you and make it more stable when playing. If you play with the dulcimer tilted in front of you (from stomach to thighs), the strap button on the peg head end works better in the middle of the underside of the peg head near the body. Here is a photo of the first suggestion later this afternoon.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

IMG_4563.JPG
IMG_4563.JPG  •  233KB

updated by @ken-longfield: 07/23/21 01:49:55PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,426 posts

@sunvalleylaw Good to have you here, Steve!  The mountain dulcimer journey is a fun one.  So cool you got to see Tim H play md with Brandi-- love her and the band!  

updated by @robin-thompson: 07/23/21 01:26:38PM
John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
3 years ago
389 posts

Howdy, Steve!  A warm welcome to you here! 

That's a beautiful dulcimer you have. 

We'll try to help and encourage you in your activity.  Just let us know what you need, and we'll see what we can do.

sunvalleylaw
@sunvalleylaw
3 years ago
15 posts

Hi folks!  My first name is Steve. Long time guitar player (dad hack, nothing too fancy), mostly rock oriented styles, with jazz influences. Interested in the M. Dulcimer as a rhythm, percussion instrument with melody possibilities and different tones from guitar. Ala Joni Mitchell.  Got turned on to this by watching signer/songwriter Brandi Carlile and her band perform a campfire acoustic version of “All I Want.”  On a super, super hot day in Western Wa a few weeks back.  Her guitarist, Tim Hanseroth, looked like he was having a ton of fun on his mountain dulcimer, and I decided I needed to try it!  

I went and found the 1998 FolkCraft CF-300 you see in my profile pic (not sure why it is sideways sometimes, I keep fixing it).  It had been purchased new and not really ever played, and stuck in a closet or something.  Paduk back and sides, spruce top, maybe wenge fretboard?  Action is too high, particularly toward the bridge, so I need to fix that, and put my strap buttons on, but it sounds and looks really nice otherwise!  

Came here to learn how to care and take care of these things, get ideas on learning to play, and just connect!  

Cheers and happy Friday!

Pete Babechuk
Pete Babechuk
@pete-babechuk
3 years ago
3 posts

Welcome to FOTMD Greg. Like the others, looking forward to seeing how your project turns out. Sounds like you've got some good hands. Should be a great instrument.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,426 posts

@glp1958 Good to have you here, Greg!  Have fun building your mountain dulcimer!   

I grew up right close to US 23 and not far from the mighty Scioto River in Central Ohio.  Friday nights and Sunday nights always saw lots of traffic on Route 23-- headed south on Friday nights and headed north on Sundays.   

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,727 posts

Good luck with your build, @glp1958. Make sure you join the Dulcimer Making Group , for folks there will have lots of advice for every stage of the project.  Some of that advice might even be helpful! winky

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
glp1958
@glp1958
3 years ago
1 posts

Hi there friends and neighbors!  My name is Greg Pennell, and I live just south of Pikeville, Kentucky, alongside US Highway 23 (The Country Music Highway). I’m a retired US Army First Sergeant (combat engineer), with over 22 years active duty service.  

I have always been a crafter, growing up helping my grandfather and dad in their cabinet shop. Currently I build flintlock longrifles from scratch, do leatherwork, weave straps on a homemade Inkle loom, and make powderhorns and all the accoutrements necessary for shooting my flintlocks. 

I've always been interested in the arts and crafts of these Appalachian Mountains, and have finally worked my way around to mountain dulcimers. While I’ve made a few cigar box guitars, and one “real” six string electric, one thing I’m not is a musician. I hope to change that before too long!

My first dulcimer is currently in the planning phase…I’ve ordered hardware, and have a nice piece of curly maple that was given to me by a late, dear friend.  I’ll probably cut out the peg head and tail block today, and start carving the scroll on the peg head. Wish me luck!

Glad I found you folks!

Greg

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,426 posts

@derik-palmer Welcome to FOTMD!  Many of us here well past sell-by date and more than a few have experience with other instruments.  

Derik Palmer
Derik Palmer
@derik-palmer
3 years ago
4 posts

Hello - I'm new!

Well to be more specific, the flesh is definitely past its sell-by date but although I play guitar, double bass, keyboards, autoharps and mandolin I'm very new to the dulcimer. I bought one this week and I'm still not entirely sure how it happened; it wasn't really by accident, probably because the lockdown here in the UK has got me looking for something new to do, and also because all my life (I'm 73) I have suffered from Oscar Wilde Syndrome - I can resist anything except temptation... grin

Anyway, I now have a very nice luthier-built dulcimer and straight away I've encountered a puzzle. Since there's a specific forum for discussing particular instruments I'll post the problem and some photos there. If you feel like heading over, taking a look and giving me the benefit of the hive mind I'd be awfully grateful...

AndiBear
AndiBear
@andibear
3 years ago
8 posts

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, you really make me feel like home.

Probably my questions will start soon.

Have a nice day!!

ocean-daughter
@ocean-daughter
3 years ago
45 posts

Hello, Andi, and welcome!  I know how it feels to be the only dulcimer player you know. 

If you're able to attend virtual groups or classes, that might help you with learning.  I've found virtual festivals to be a great help to me recently.  This weekend I've been taking classes at a festival based in Albany, New York, and there are people attending from Germany and Britain. 

But in any case, there are people here who will be happy to encourage you in any way we can. 

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
3 years ago
297 posts

Hi Andi,

Welcome to the forum.  There are many friends here that will gladly help you along in your journey.  

“The dulcimer is an unknown instrument in Spain.”

That might be true, but in most places in the US The dulcimer is mostly unknown, too.  I live in the deep southern part of the state of Georgia.  If I had not learned to play this instrument & shared it with many people, it would still be unknown in these parts.  

So, Andi.  Challenge yourself to learn this wonderful instrument, and introduce it to the citizens of your great country, Spain.  Who knows, in 30 years they may build a statue of you, in your capital city, holding a mountain dulcimer.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
3 years ago
389 posts

Andi, your English is very good, and you write it well.  Welcome to our dulcimer site!  

We have something for everybody here, whether you like to play the dulcimer, want to learn to play it, or need help with dulcimer identification or wood identification.  There are modern dulcimer players here as well as noter/drone players.  And a few luthiers, as well!  I build more than I play, but I do both.  Have fun!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,084 posts

Welcome Andi. You are doing much better with English than I could do with Spanish. Go ahead and ask questions. We will try to help you along on your dulcimer journey.

Ken

AndiBear
AndiBear
@andibear
3 years ago
8 posts

Hi!!

My name is Andi and I'm a beginner player of mountain dulcimer from Spain.

First of all excuse my bad english or my faults, english is not my first language. I think I'm doing ok according the fotmd forum rules (please forgive me and help me if not).

I have a lot of questions, because in Spain dulcimer are an absolute unknown instrument (since I bought mine I spend more time explaining what is than playing), and I don't know anyone who play it and can help me. Mine is an european made dulcimer, don't sound as well like american crafted dulcimers but I think that is a good way to learn.

Also, i never played before an string instrument (well, i played piano when I was child -so I can read the sheets- and now I try to play the lyre, but obviously are not the same).

Thanks for this forum, I've read lot of topics and it's a beautiful community, and I'm sure I would be proud of being a part of it.

Greetings from a spanish (wannabe) player :) 

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,426 posts

Welcome to FOTMD, @deweylandrum

deweylandrum
@deweylandrum
3 years ago
6 posts

Hi. My name is Dewey.  I found this site doing some research on a dulcimer my dad gave me.  He's in his late 80s and doesn't hear well anymore, so he gave it up.

Winks
Winks
@winks
3 years ago
3 posts

Awwww, we'd only get into a fight about Synods or closed versus open communion. This way we infiltrate all the groups. grin

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
3 years ago
197 posts

Hmmm.  At the risk of becoming sectarian, maybe we need a group of " 'Luterans' Beyond the Lute"  winker

Winks
Winks
@winks
3 years ago
3 posts

Hi Ken, good to meet you, Brother. Thanks, I will.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,084 posts

Welcome to FOTMD, Kevin, from another Lutheran pastor who has been retired since 2010. I built my first dulcimer, an hourglass, from scratch back in 1974. Let us know if we can help you along on your dulcimer journey.

Ken

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,426 posts

Hello, @winks!  How exciting to have a Blue Lion on the way! 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,124 posts

Welcome Wink!

Winks
Winks
@winks
3 years ago
3 posts

Thanks for the welcome. I'm Kevin. Lutheran pastor for the past 45 years (I'm 70) and still fulltime pastor of a church. Been playing around with the dulcimer since I was 18 - built one from Hines' book. Decided that it is finally time to get serious about learning to really play.  Have a McSpadden teardrop, a Yocky that he built for me in '04 using wood I found in an old barn (chestnut) and a Blue Lion coming this next week. The Yocky is a wonderful instrument, too bad Tom quit building dulcimers. Looking forward to being a member here.

nateprentice
@nateprentice
3 years ago
3 posts

Dusty Turtle:

Welcome to FOTMD, @nateprentice.  You might try using a strap on your dulcimer. If you keep the strap tight enough, you have a lot more control over the positioning of the instrument on your lap and don't rely on your lap as much.

Thanks.  I actually fashioned one using some brown paracord I had hanging around.  It connects at the head with a bow knot  that stays there, and attaches at the tail using a Marlin hitch knot, which is adjustable.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,426 posts

@nateprentice, I liked listening to your Soundcloud link!  Welcome to FOTMD!

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,124 posts

Welcome Nate!   As Dusty says there are ways to keep the dulcimer more stationary.  Another option besides a strap is a stand or lap-height table like a TV tray that supports the dulcimer so that you do not have to.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,727 posts

Welcome to FOTMD, @nateprentice.  You might try using a strap on your dulcimer. If you keep the strap tight enough, you have a lot more control over the positioning of the instrument on your lap and don't rely on your lap as much.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 01/16/21 03:40:24PM
nateprentice
@nateprentice
3 years ago
3 posts

Hi all!  I’m Nate Prentice from the Philly suburbs.

I’ve been playing Dulcimer for about 2-3 months so far.  I play multiple instruments, but am no expert.  For now I’m learning the keyboard and trying to get the hang of the angle of my hand on the lower frets when playing chords.  I have a short lap, so it is work.  I’m trying to create a small Xmas album as a gift to friends.  Here’s a sample:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/hgoZWw8ZWLrvNSSd8

Nice to meet you all. 

Nate

Shelley1
Shelley1
@shelley1
4 years ago
4 posts

Ken Hulme:

Welcome to the family, Shelley!  

Thank you!

Shelley1
Shelley1
@shelley1
4 years ago
4 posts

Lois Sprengnether Keel:

winker See how infectious the folk instrument world can be?!?

Oh I can see that! Love it!

LisavB:

Hi Shelley!  

I did things in the opposite direction.  Made a cardboard dulcimer as an art project a couple of years ago, fell in love with playing it.  Then I "had" to build a black walnut one from a kit (a little over a year ago).  Then I got tempted by a Fender acoustic guitar bundle on Amazon last December.  Fell in love with that, too.  And got a shell pink Fender Strat in April.  Love my dulcimers (well, I rarely play the cardboard one now--it sounds really good, but no 6+ fret, alas) and my guitars, but in different ways and for different reasons!  It is starting to look like a musical instrument zoo around here.  They all have little stands.  Some day when I retire, I want to get back into the recorder...I have several of those...

I'm going to need to see a photo of that cardboard dulcimer, I think. And the shell pink Strat! 

Shelley1
Shelley1
@shelley1
4 years ago
4 posts

Lois Sprengnether Keel:

Hi Shelley!

Like you, my introduction to folk music was guitar & I still sometimes go that way, but really am delighted to have found the MD.  Since you're currently pretty much stuck indoors, you'll find lots to learn through prowling FOTMD.  Be warned though, you show traces of the disease I have . . . developing a musical petting zoo.  Even being stuck inside can't protect you.  I blame my infection all the way back to Girl Scout days when I earned the Dabbler badge.  For those with a specialized form of the disease, it's Dulcimer Acquisition Disease to match the common tuning of DAd.  My husband has been fighting his own form of this with banjos.  It's not fatal and is fun whether you succumb to it or not.

Oh, the zoo is overflowing. I recently added up all the instruments I have and it's embarrassing. Time to prune. Thank you for the welcome!

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
4 years ago
197 posts

winker See how infectious the folk instrument world can be?!?

LisavB
LisavB
@lisavb
4 years ago
58 posts

Hi Shelley!  

I did things in the opposite direction.  Made a cardboard dulcimer as an art project a couple of years ago, fell in love with playing it.  Then I "had" to build a black walnut one from a kit (a little over a year ago).  Then I got tempted by a Fender acoustic guitar bundle on Amazon last December.  Fell in love with that, too.  And got a shell pink Fender Strat in April.  Love my dulcimers (well, I rarely play the cardboard one now--it sounds really good, but no 6+ fret, alas) and my guitars, but in different ways and for different reasons!  It is starting to look like a musical instrument zoo around here.  They all have little stands.  Some day when I retire, I want to get back into the recorder...I have several of those...

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
4 years ago
197 posts

Hi Shelley!

Like you, my introduction to folk music was guitar & I still sometimes go that way, but really am delighted to have found the MD.  Since you're currently pretty much stuck indoors, you'll find lots to learn through prowling FOTMD.  Be warned though, you show traces of the disease I have . . . developing a musical petting zoo.  Even being stuck inside can't protect you.  I blame my infection all the way back to Girl Scout days when I earned the Dabbler badge.  For those with a specialized form of the disease, it's Dulcimer Acquisition Disease to match the common tuning of DAd.  My husband has been fighting his own form of this with banjos.  It's not fatal and is fun whether you succumb to it or not.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,426 posts

@shelley1 Great to have you here!  There's lots to see on the site-- enjoy poking around!  

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,124 posts

Welcome to the family, Shelley!  

Shelley1
Shelley1
@shelley1
4 years ago
4 posts

Hi! My name is Shelley and I'm new to the dulcimer world and this site. I started playing about two weeks ago and love it! I'm played guitar since I was 13, and am learning to play a couple of other instruments, but nothing has grabbed my interest the way the dulcimer has. (With the exception of the guitar—LOVE my guitars.) I'm looking forward to learning what I can and hanging out with you!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,727 posts

Welcome back, @Wendell-G (artist formerly known as Geckostar).

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Wendell G
Wendell G
@wendell-g
4 years ago
9 posts

Hi everyone.  I am Wendell G. and was formerly a member here under the name Geckostar97.  An extremely busy work schedule, working from home due to Covid-19 pandemic, a couple of small other things and well...all of my instruments went unplayed for too long.  I am so happy to be back as a member of FOTMD.  I look forward to many discussions and getting my calluses back on my finger tips for guitar and mountain dulcimer playing!  Thank you for so many kind welcome messages.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
4 years ago
389 posts

Thanks for your post, DoC!  Sorry things are gloomy across The Pond.  Things are somewhat gloomy here as well, what with the pesky COVID virus preparation shutting things down and generally making a nuisance of itself.  We need to rise above it, and dulcimers sure help re-focus us on nicer things!  I'm confident that you'll make the McSpadden modifications with no trouble at all.  Best wishes for a successful outcome.

dockildare
@dockildare
4 years ago
6 posts

Hello to y'all from a gloomy United Kingdom.  I tend to go by the name DoC, reside in Derbyshire.  I recently acquired a '84 or '86 McSpadden that was originally intended as a 4 string dulcimer but was finished off as 3 string.  Whilst I love it as it is, I find it lacks something that 4 strings add - so I've ordered a few extra bits and am going to revert it back to being a 4 string.  Fingers crossed I don't mess it up in the meantime, but I have worked on and built guitars before so am hoping for the best.

Just want to say thanks to all those who have already welcomed me to the forum, even though this is my first post here.

Buckeye67
Buckeye67
@buckeye67
4 years ago
5 posts
Jim Phillips:

Buckeye67,

You are indeed very fortunate!  The Dayton dulcimer club is probably one of the best clubs in the US.  They have many events during the year.  I have contacts that are leaders of the group and have other information about the club.  If you want to send a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me, I will send information to you.

Since both of you are military,  I am posting some pictures of one instrument that I recently built.  A mother here in Ohio had me build this instrument to honor her son as he retired from the USAF. She was having a hard time deciding on sound holes. She decided on the "stars", since they are a prominent part of the USAF insignia.

Please see attached images.

Jim Phillips

That's a lovely instrument! I'll shoot you a PM when I get home from work. :-)
Jim Phillips
Jim Phillips
@jim-at-gcreek
4 years ago
15 posts

Buckeye67,

You are indeed very fortunate!  The Dayton dulcimer club is probably one of the best clubs in the US.  They have many events during the year.  I have contacts that are leaders of the group and have other information about the club.  If you want to send a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me, I will send information to you.

Since both of you are military,  I am posting some pictures of one instrument that I recently built.  A mother here in Ohio had me build this instrument to honor her son as he retired from the USAF. She was having a hard time deciding on sound holes. She decided on the "stars", since they are a prominent part of the USAF insignia.

Please see attached images.

Jim Phillips

Sapele3.JPG
Sapele3.JPG  •  210KB

Sapele2.jpg
Sapele2.jpg  •  6.5MB

Sapele1.jpg
Sapele1.jpg  •  6.9MB

Buckeye67
Buckeye67
@buckeye67
4 years ago
5 posts
Jim Phillips:

Buckeye67,

Many thanks to you and your wife for serving and protecting us.

I am also a “Buckeye”.  I live in central Ohio - play and build dulcimers.  I am also from Appalachia.  Family was from Buchanan County, VA - maybe 50 miles from Pikeville.  I have a son that lives in Cincinnati and I would be glad to send you information about playing.  I know players who are involved in string clubs in southern Ohio.  I think playing with a club is a great way to learn.

Jim Phillips

Hi Jim,

Thank you! We'll be moving to the Dayton area (WPAFB). I agree completely about learning with a group/club. When I started playing ITM I was fortunate to find Cincinnati's Riley School of Irish Music. I've seen that there's a dulcimer club in Dayton that I was going to check out, but would love info on Cincinnati happenings as well.
Appalachiandreamer
Appalachiandreamer
@appalachiandreamer
4 years ago
10 posts
That is absolutely beautiful! Unfortunately technology is only as good as it user. I totality missed the groups under the menu. The last social media I used was AOL in the 80’s if you would call it that. I would love to be able to call upon the experience found on FOTMD how every I’m just starting and don’t have enough knowledge about the process. I did join that group last nite and as suggested started a post. I am trying to find some good books on the subject and what is good and important in them as well as maybe give experienced builders new resources they may have not know. I listed a few that I found through one builders web page. Most are out of print since the 70’s but have all but one on the way. I look forward the discussions and thank you all for point me in the right way!
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,124 posts

@Appalachiandreamer -- We've talked quite a few new builders through their first dulcimer in that Group.  We can get you going with designs, materials, hand-holding help... whatever you want/need.

I see you're from North Carolina.   You might be interested too see  that I build a pretty rare North Carolina dulcimer style called a Holly Leaf shape.  The original was built in Burnsville, NC around the time of the "recent unpleasantness" -- 1860s.  It's a traditional dulcemore  -- that is it's not suited for playing modern three-finger chord-melody style, but rather for traditional noter & drone style playing.  

My Burnsville.JPG
My Burnsville.JPG  •  95KB

updated by @ken-hulme: 02/12/20 10:35:09PM
Appalachiandreamer
Appalachiandreamer
@appalachiandreamer
4 years ago
10 posts
Thank you very much that’s a big help
Banjimer
Banjimer
@greg-gunner
4 years ago
141 posts

At the top of the Home Page click on "Groups".  Then scroll down to the "Dulcimer Making" group and click on that.  You can join that group by clicking the "Join" button.  Once you are a member of the group, you can post your questions to other members of the dulcimer making group for discussion by clicking on the "+ sign" in the upper right-hand corner and creating a topic for discussion.

If you want to discuss deceased dulcimer makers, you can join the "Dulcimer History" group in the same manner and post your questions there.

Appalachiandreamer
Appalachiandreamer
@appalachiandreamer
4 years ago
10 posts
Not sure if I have missed it or if this is the right place to put this post request as I am not a social media person this being my first forum group. My attempts to used search engine in forum for a subjects or topics and even post my name has not gone well. Is there a forum started for new to making mountain dulcimer or could we make one. Could call it “So you want to make a mountain dulcimer.” Was looking for schools, books, tools, jigs, resources, maybe internships, etc. Reviews of such things to aid a person in getting started and avoid the junk and pit falls. With and were some of our fine members could start/post bio on their work and how and why they got into making dulcimers. Links to their web site. Maybe well as about their innovations, style, technique and writing or publications. As we all have looked at those that came before us, Leadford Uncle Ed, Presnell etc, can we have a place to marvel a greats still among us. FOTMD might become the best reference for those folks looking to learn more about the makers of their instrument long after personal web pages go down. Thanks for you time and reflections
Jim Phillips
Jim Phillips
@jim-at-gcreek
4 years ago
15 posts

Buckeye67,

Many thanks to you and your wife for serving and protecting us.

I am also a “Buckeye”.  I live in central Ohio - play and build dulcimers.  I am also from Appalachia.  Family was from Buchanan County, VA - maybe 50 miles from Pikeville.  I have a son that lives in Cincinnati and I would be glad to send you information about playing.  I know players who are involved in string clubs in southern Ohio.  I think playing with a club is a great way to learn.

Jim Phillips

Buckeye67
Buckeye67
@buckeye67
4 years ago
5 posts

Hey everyone,

I'm originally from SW Ohio, served in the US Army and worked in law enforcement nearly all my adult life.  My wife is still in the USAF, which has had us move from Ohio to Texas and to Michigan where we currently live.  This summer, we'll be moving back to SW Ohio and this September we'll be welcoming our first baby!  My mom's side of the family is from Pike County, KY (she was born in Hardy), and having roots in Appalachia, I have an avid interest in the people, culture, history and music of the mountains.

I mostly play traditional Irish music (whistle and flute), but also throw in some Breton, Scottish and Galician tunes as well (Breton tunes would sit very well on the Dulcimer, I think).

I don't own a dulcimer yet, but plan on getting one and getting started learning to play soon.  Doing research on them is what led me to the forums here. 

Thanks for having me, and I look forward to starting this journey. :)

Appalachiandreamer
Appalachiandreamer
@appalachiandreamer
4 years ago
10 posts
No worries I do it all the time and my writing can be quite disjunctive. Auto corrections can be a pain. At least that is my story.
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,426 posts

@Appalachiandreamer Yes, please post your Amburgey photo!  Also, I misread your comment about MJAmburgey-- my mistake.  

Appalachiandreamer
Appalachiandreamer
@appalachiandreamer
4 years ago
10 posts
No I just have a A. Jethro Amburgey. It is one of the last ones he made before his pasting. I believe by just a few days. I saw his son’s on this site which prompted me to join. I will post some pictures under fiery first dulcimer soon if you all would like
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,426 posts

Welcome, @scott-collier & @Appalachiandreamer!  

Scott, Bob G makes beautiful instruments-- enjoy your visit!  

AD, A Jethro Amburgey and  MJethro Amburgey-- wow!  Enjoy them!  

Appalachiandreamer
Appalachiandreamer
@appalachiandreamer
4 years ago
10 posts
Hello to all and thank you for letting me join this site. A little about myself: I grow up in central North Carolina and headed to the mountains for college before moving all over the US, and the world with the US Army. After a medical discharge, I returned to college finishing Poli Sci and Nursing degrees. It is also were I meet and married the love of my life, a coastal North Carolinian. Do to her strong family ties and values this is were I live today but the mountains still call to me. So much so I have a clause or arrangement if you will that when those obligations pass on, we are heading for those hills Westward.
As fate would have it, the injuries from the Army came back sooner that I hoped they would. I tore up my back and hips with a bad jump out of one of those fine Air Force planes. Although painful I could get around ok until one morning I could not get up at all. Turns out I compressed a few nerves and it took the VA 18 months to get it fixed. That left me with permanent damage in my back and leg. I’m unable to work due to only being able to sit up and stand for a few hours at a time. So, I am now retired early.
Retirement sucks! I have never been one to sit on my butt so I got into gardening, which got me into bee keeping to pay for the gardening which lead to gardening for the bees. The thinking was to, although limited, rehab my back so I could get back to work. Both it has just gotten harder and hard to do. Which leads me to the mountain dulcimer.
Some fifteen plus years ago while visiting my mother on Beach Mountain on vacation she had me take her to see a dulcimer maker. I thought at the time what any odd looking instrument. I really didn’t think more of them till this pass year when I put my daughter in a school that teaches mountain dulcimer and folk music. So with my mother having two that are sitting around I started to research. The more history I learned the more I fell in love with them and the music they make. So I have committed to learning to play and maybe building my own.
A little while ago I came across a Jethro Amburgey dulcimer sitting in the Salvation Army and picked it up. As I continue to research I came across picture that looked very much like the one I have signed in the strum hallow on this site. In the forum “Tell us about your VERY FIRST dulcimer” two years ago a Morris Jethro Amburgey #42. The information that came from that post I was reading and I knew that this was the place that I needed to come learn and ask questions.
I know that this maybe little to much for intro and a first post. I shall read through the rules and other guidelines provided. But I did want to thank very one and look forward to getting to you.
Scott Collier
Scott Collier
@scott-collier
4 years ago
14 posts
Well it's been a long time but I'm coming back. Name is Scott and I've been away for a while but I've gotten the itch again. Going to Have an instrument made be Bob Gerard hopefully. I'm meeting with him this Saturday. Looking forward to renewing old friendships here!
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,253 posts

Hi there Marc, and welcome!

To answer your question- yes any videos or audios of the playing of non-public domain tunes/songs must be added to posts in the Rockin Free World group.  That is to keep our site's Video and Audio collections free of copyrighted materials that are part of our hosted collections.  Doesn't matter if you arranged the version or not in this case. 
(And of course if you composed your own material you can post it even if you copyrighted it..you own the copyright.)

Hope you enjoy it here..  bananawave

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 01/15/20 09:52:52PM
glowhazel
@glowhazel
4 years ago
3 posts

Hello!  My name's Marc, and I'm currently living in northern Virginia.  2020 is going to be my year for diving headfirst into all things dulcimer.  Thanks everyone who's already sent their kind welcome messages. :)

One quick question, if that's permissible here: seems like if I want to share any videos of myself playing non-public domain or non-traditional music (i.e. covers of licensed songs) then they need to go in the "Rockin in the Free World" group.  Is this important even if the arrangement is my own?

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
4 years ago
389 posts

Welcome to the group, Rain Dog!  This is a great resource for dulcimer new-bies.  Ask a lot of questions if you like.  One of us (at least) should be able to help you out.  Have a good day!

Rain Dog
Rain Dog
@rain-dog
4 years ago
18 posts
Hello to my new friends (otMD). I'm Peter from Indiana, but "I am a rain dog too". I'll try to keep my dulcimer story short. I got my dulcimer for Christmas when I was 15. Had no idea what it was. It came with a folded sheet of paper as instructions. I was into hard rock at the time and really wasn't interested in strumming "Go Tell Aunt Rodie". I did get the book " The Easiest Way To Play Dulcimer Yet". While on vacation in Tennessee probably the following year or so and began trying to learn a little, but it went out of tune constantly. Very frustrating for a teen. Flash forward 30 or so years and I decided to learn guitar ( thanks to Guitar Hero). Still working on that. I had mentioned to my wife, some time ago, I was thinking of making a cigar box guitar. She has been encouraging me to build one, and I started contemplating making a chromatic one. So I thought, I should pull my dulcimer out of the closet. I've kept it in its original shipping box for, now 40 years and messed with it off and on. Now after a little wood putty and some plastic washers it stays in tune. I've been enjoying Blue Grass on my guitar journey. The stars aligned and I found this site. Gonna hit "post" now before I read this and decide I didn't keep it short.
Bob
Bob
@bob
4 years ago
86 posts

Hi Patrick, I think you will find that a great many bagpipe tunes (particularly Scotts and Irish) lend perfectly to the mountain dulcimer (though you probably already know that!)  I play the cauld wind Scottish Smallpipes (somewhat) and love to try my pipe tunes on the mountain dulcimer; seems a perfect combination.  Best wishes!

Recovering Baptist
Recovering Baptist
@recovering-baptist
5 years ago
8 posts
Ken, I spent a lot of weekends at Merv and Joannes home. Merv made a beautiful Myrtle dulcimer for my wedding present. He was such a kind hearted person. I really miss both of them. I sometimes joined him at festivals, played and demonstrated his dulcimers. Wonderful memories.
Recovering Baptist
Recovering Baptist
@recovering-baptist
5 years ago
8 posts
Ken Hulme:

I had the great honor and pleasure of doing a minor repair on one of Merv's personal instruments for him, a year or so before he passed away.  He was a great builder and promoter of chord-melody in DAAS as well as the 1-3-5 tuning...

Recovering Baptist
Recovering Baptist
@recovering-baptist
5 years ago
8 posts
Hi Patrick. Welcome. I’m new here, too. Recently got back into dulcimer. I was active during the eighties until late nineties. Joined FOTMD a few weeks ago to reconnect.

RB
Recovering Baptist
Recovering Baptist
@recovering-baptist
5 years ago
8 posts
Mr. Woolery:
Hi! I’m Patrick Woolery. I mostly play banjo and bagpipes, but want to expand my horizons to include the dulcimer.

I don’t have a lot to contribute at the moment, but I’m hoping being part of a community will help keep me motivated to learn.

Patrick

/ 5