Introduce Yourself!

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
5 years ago
297 posts
Welcome, Patrick. You will find FOTMD to be a wonderful place to visit. You can make many new friends who will be most happy to give you advice and encouragement.

Happy New Year!🎆
Mr. Woolery
Mr. Woolery
@mr-woolery
5 years ago
9 posts
Hi! I’m Patrick Woolery. I mostly play banjo and bagpipes, but want to expand my horizons to include the dulcimer.

I don’t have a lot to contribute at the moment, but I’m hoping being part of a community will help keep me motivated to learn.

Patrick
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,126 posts

I had the great honor and pleasure of doing a minor repair on one of Merv's personal instruments for him, a year or so before he passed away.  He was a great builder and promoter of chord-melody in DAAS as well as the 1-3-5 tuning...

Recovering Baptist
Recovering Baptist
@recovering-baptist
5 years ago
8 posts

My name is Tom Campbell. I first played a dulcimer in summer of 1983. Merv and Jo Rowley introduced me to the mountain dulcimer.  I met them at the Rockford Folk Festival in Rockford, Illinois. Merv and Jo were like parents to me. Merv was a master luthier and Jo a very talented artist.  I love Merv's dulcimers. I look forward to getting know some new folks who share the same love that I have for the dulcimer and old time music. 

Merry Christmas

RB

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 years ago
1,434 posts

Good to have you folks here!  

@vicki-moore There is a rich mountain dulcimer history in the Smokies.  The last time I was in that neck of the woods was several years ago so I'm of no help on being able to offer specific suggestions.  Perhaps you would like to post a thread in this section:  https://fotmd.com/forums/forum/off-topic-discussions

@garyinwyoming How neat you were able to find a couple other players out your way!  Happy strumming! 

GaryinWYoming
GaryinWYoming
@garyinwyoming
5 years ago
3 posts

Hi, my name is Gary and I just recently joined.  I live in Cheyenne, Wyoming.  Not exactly dulcimer country but, I did manage to find a couple of other people here that play mountain dulcimer.  I'll post a picture of my mountain dulcimer when I get a chance. nod

Vicki Moore
Vicki Moore
@vicki-moore
5 years ago
16 posts

Hello from northern VT!  Even though I really am not much of a traveler at all, I am considering a road (or air) trip to the Smokey Mountains - there, I have said it and maybe that will help me to follow through with it. Any suggestions or advice from anyone out there in MD land?

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,257 posts

Hi there @sal-monella !  I posted a response to your beginner book discussion in the General Forum, where I mention some of the factors you'll encounter if playing your stick dulcimers with mountain dulcimer tab books, here:

https://fotmd.com/forums/forum/general-mountain-dulcimer-or-music-discussions/36238/beginners-dulcimer-book#r36239

Welcome to the site!  bananawave

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,126 posts

Welcome Sal-Monella!     Interesting handle you have there.

There really is no consensus as to  best book to learn any aspect of dulcimer. 

Realize, of course that there is a big difference between playing one of those stick instruments and playing a true dulcimer.  For starters the strings are 'backwards'.  Also unless you lay that stick flat on your lap, no dulcimer playing instructions are going to make any sense.  

updated by @ken-hulme: 11/24/19 10:53:06PM
Sal Monella
Sal Monella
@sal-monella
5 years ago
2 posts

Howdy,

As you can see by my profile, I'm new to the dulcimer. I have made a couple stick dulcimers and a Strumbly, but really haven't learned to play one. That is what I am commencing to do by joining FOTMD. The thing I was wondering was how can I search, or is the info already out there, about the memberships idea of the "BEST" beginners book for learning dulcimer. I believe that I will want to take a stab at finger picking at some point in time as well. So maybe a book that has some sort of progression in that direction is what I'm looking for.

Thank you in advance for any help with this topic.

-Sal

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,257 posts

Ron, welcome to fotmd!  i suggest you start a new discussion in our general Forums area for your guitar tuning question, rather than asking about it in this "Introduce Yourself" discussion.

Go to the general forum area and use the plus button+ to start a new discussion.  :)

(When you, be sure to give us the scale length (length in inches between nut and bridge) of your guitar. You'll likely have to change some strings and maybe remove other strings from your guitar. Remember too when you ask about a '4 string dulcimer'...that a guitar does not have a pair of closely set strings like most 4 string dulcimers have on the melody string.)

Please do start your new separate discussion in the forums, so we can help you further there in it.  :)

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 11/11/19 12:16:30PM
RonD
RonD
@rond
5 years ago
10 posts

Hello,  Thank You for the welcome.

I cannot get a dulcimer until late winter,  in the meanwhile, is there a way to tune a guitar to at least a three string dulcimer

preferrably four in the usual aadd?

Thanks, Ronald

Susie
Susie
@susie
5 years ago
500 posts

Matthew, happy to hear you're making music again!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 years ago
1,434 posts

Matthew, I'm glad you're playing again!  

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
5 years ago
85 posts

Matthew, good to see you back. By the way, we're usually in the chat room in the morning. Just to let you know.

--
Site Moderator

updated by @jim-fawcett: 10/30/19 04:44:14PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,257 posts

Hi Matthew!  How great that something so lovely as music is helping your Parkinson symptoms. I'm glad you're back to playing!  Good luck with your exploration of a chromatic dulcimer.

--
Site Owner

Matthew Andrew
Matthew Andrew
@matthew-andrew
5 years ago
3 posts

Hi all! I have been away for a while, having issues with Parkinson's. back to playing again, as it seems to help me. Especially interested in chromatic dulcimers now!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,257 posts

Hi folks, I'd like to keep this discussion focused more simply on 'introducing ourselves'- so feel free to start new discussions in either the Music Theory Group or the Traditional NoterDrone Group if you would like to continue in depth discussions on modes, ballad resources, etc.

Thank you!

--
Site Owner

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,126 posts

Send me a PM here, as I said before, and I will give the file to you directly.  You need a free PDF Reader app on your Android or regular computer to open and read the file.  

If your Android won't download it there is something wrong, but not with the PDF.  Get a highschool kid/grandchild to help you confusey   callme

TTAD is the best site on the Internet for Traditional dulcimer builders and players to exchange information.

updated by @ken-hulme: 09/29/19 11:27:43AM
truethomas
@truethomas
5 years ago
5 posts
Ken, searched for Uncontrite Modal Folker. Had to join the TTAD forum. The resource is a PDF. My Android will not download it. Error msg stated it requires storage permission but I can't figure out how to do that. I have been all over Settings,but don't see it. I'm an old guy and not very tech savvy. Sure would like to have that OFF
truethomas
@truethomas
5 years ago
5 posts
Greg, thanks so much for the modal tuning info. I will save that info. It will be very helpful.
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,126 posts

Pretty much what Greg said -- the Modes are built into the diatonic fretboard (as long as you don't go adding any extra frets).  One of the pieces I want to give you is called The Uncontrite Modal Folker.  It's a discussion of Modes and Modal tunings on the dulcimer (not guitar or anything else).  Modes are scales on a single string.  It's that simple.   Different Modes start at different locations on a diatonic fretboard. Some of those scales are more minor than others.  

Banjimer
Banjimer
@greg-gunner
5 years ago
141 posts

Each mode consists of notes found in a major scale, but only the Ionian mode is a major scale.  Using only the notes of the D major scale for example, you get the D Ionian mode if your start and end your mode with the D.  You get an E Dorian mode if your start and end your mode with the E. . .

It is really more complicated to explain in writing than it is in practice.  You can play music your whole life without understanding the theory behind the modes.  For all practical purposes, you need only learn the corresponding dulcimer tunings.  Most tablature indicates the appropriate tuning.  The rest is simply a matter of following the numbers.

D-A-A = D Ionian Tuning (The familiar major scale Do, Re, Mi, Fa, Sol, La, Ti ,Do)

D-A-d = D Mixolydian Tuning (Identical to the Ionian mode with the exception of the 7th note.  Frequently used to play a D major scale by adding the 6 1/2 fret.)

D-A-G = D Dorian Tuning

D-A-C = D Aeolian tuning (The familiar minor sale)

Since you've indicated a desire to play the old ballads, you will need to become comfortable with the modal tunings summarized above.  There is no need to understand everything about modes.  The beauty of the instrument is that the modes are built right into the design of the fretboard.  Simply retune the melody string(s) to match one of the modal tunings above and you're ready to go.

The majority of ballads are written in the Ionian mode, so it makes sense to begin there.  That's why D-A-A is the preferred base tuning for traditional mountain dulcimer players.

truethomas
@truethomas
5 years ago
5 posts
My thanks to Greg for the book recommendations. They will be very helpful. I guess I may need to learn to read music. Everything I have found online about modes seems to be incorrect and has each mode as a particular major scale, but I'm hearing something different with my ears. Looks like I need some resources regarding modes. I will check out the audio recordings. Thanks also for the info on the three string Ken
Yes, I will get around to sending you a PM. Very interested in your beginner resources.
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,126 posts

As Greg says, there aren't any real dulcimer specific resources for Child Ballads and the like; just scattered its here and there.  Greg has given you a number of good printed sources.   One of the best online resources that I know is www.contemplator.com.  She has audio recordings of the Child Ballads and much more.  There are also a couple of folks who have recorded many, if not all, of the Child Ballads on YouTube (guitar mostly).  

You are going to want to teach yourself how to create tab by ear.  

If this is the kind of music you are passionate about, you really do not need 4 strings and a 6-1/2 fret.  A 3-string,  traditional, true diatonic instrument tuned and re-tuned appropriately is going to be most useful.  That kind of instrument will give you the high silvery sound that goes so well with that kind of music.  It took awhile, but after 30 years of playing I finally figured that out  -- about 10 years ago.  

Anytime you want to "talk shop" about that kind of music, drop me a PM here and we can swap email addresses.  I can also point you to some beginner resources that I created years ago...

updated by @ken-hulme: 09/27/19 04:11:17PM
Banjimer
Banjimer
@greg-gunner
5 years ago
141 posts

There aren't many mountain dulcimer books written specifically for the Child Ballads.  Ralph Lee Smith's books are probably the closest thing to what you are seeking.  Smith has written books containing mountain dulcimer tablature for selected ballads from Cecil Sharp's English Folk Songs from the Southern Appalachians. Among Smith's books you will find Smoky Mountain Memories, Song Treasures of the Cumberland Mountains, Folk Songs of Old Virginia, Folk Songs of Old Kentucky, and Songs and Tunes of the Wilderness Road.  A number of Appalachian versions of the Child Ballads are included in Smith's books.

If you have the five Child Ballad books, you probably have only the words and not any musical arrangements since Child did not include music in his books.  If you want some musical arrangements, you will need to get The Traditional Tunes of the Child Ballads by Bertrand Bronson.  It doesn't have any dulcimer tablature, but it does have musical arrangements for many of the Child Ballads.  However, be forewarned, Bronson's books do not include any mountain dulcimer tablature.  The arrangements will have to be rewritten in tablature or you will need to be able to play from standard notation.

As you explore the ballads further, you will find multiple melodies associated with the same lyrics, so if you are looking for a specific melody to accompany your singing, your best bet is to "figure out" the desired melody on the fretboard a few notes at a time until you have what you want.  If you do this I would suggest that you write it down in some fashion, perhaps in  dulcimer tablature and keep a notebook or file.

One thing complicating things for a beginner is the fact that many of the old ballads are sung in one of the ancient modes, rather than in a major key.  Modes can complicate things.  Fortunately, the mountain dulcimer accommodates the modes through a simple retuning of the melody string.  If you are trying to figure out a melody and the notes just don't seem to be there, you may have to retune the melody string and try one of the other modes.  At that point, it will benefit you to become familiar with modes and how to retune your dulcimer to enable you to play in alternative modes.

Since you appear to be a new mountain dulcimer enthusiast, you will probably benefit most from one or more of Ralph Lee Smith's books.  Good luck in your journey, and don't be afraid to return with more questions.  There are many dulcimer players on FOTMD ready to assist you.

truethomas
@truethomas
5 years ago
5 posts
Thanks Ken. I have been to the Sweetwoods website. His student website looks good. I have also looked at the cardboard Simplicity model. I would prefer 4 strings and a 6 1/2 fret, but I would still consider it. I am leaning toward getting a used dulcimer from an online auction. If I am patient,i could get a Folk craft or McSpadden for even less than a Simplicity.
I like the fact that I am not the only one with interest in the dulcimer for British trad. I'll have to get my five volumes of the Child Ballads out of storage. Do you know of any resources for playing that sort of material?
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,126 posts

Welcome truethomas!  I've been specializing in the Child Ballads and Scots/English traditional music on the dulcimer for most of 40 years.

Can't say I've heard of Thunderclap Drones dulcimers, and can't seem to find anything about them on-line, except a few sales blurbs on ebay and such; and one video that mostly should a lady struggling to open a shipping box.  What little I could find says made in the USA.  Not even a website for Thunderclap Drones, which in this day and age is not a particularly good sign.

For a first instrument, IMHO, you'd be better off with a Student model dulcimer from a known builder rather than an Ebay or Piccclik sales pitch from an unknown.  If price is an issue, a cardboard dulcimer is about $75, and they sound really good because the important part is how well the fretboard is made.  I recommend the Student model from Dave Lynch of Sweetwoods Dulcimers:  www.sweetwoodsinstruments.com  I've owned and played one for a number of years and find them perfect for those just starting out.

truethomas
@truethomas
5 years ago
5 posts
Thanks for the welcomes. I am looking for my first dulcimer,and will make a patient and careful choice.My main interest is English and Scottish traditional music, and the electric trad folk of the UK. I have sung their ballads for some time. I am also getting interested in Appalachian music.
Does anybody know anything about a dulcimer maker, ThunderClap Drones in Arkansas, and if they are still in business? Saw photos of one and loved it. Any opinions? Thanks in advance.
pattyfromor
@pattyfromor
5 years ago
9 posts

Thanks to everyone who's welcomed me here! To Irene (whom I tried to reply to earlier but apparently forgot to hit the post button), I just hold it on my lap when I'm sitting. I love the drone sound too, to me it's a big part of the specialness of the mountain dulcimer, but I also want to play chords. I love lots of kinds of music, including jazz, and want to play it all! To Terry, I will keep in mind about the bar stool, but not without a seat belt!

I do have another question—is anyone familiar with Harris & Young dulcimers? I'm guessing that they are no longer (or not much anyway) active? Nothing shows up on Googlemaps except a house when I search for their address.

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
5 years ago
297 posts
Welcome Patty, from Beavercreek, Oregon. Sounds like a great place to live.

Good luck with your new challenge, learning to play the mountain dulcimer.

Hey, don’ t forget about the simple bar stool. Something about a bar stool that draws people together.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,257 posts

Mary i loved your story.  How great that you are forging ahead, enjoying the journey, and not letting anything get in your way this time!

--
Site Owner

Mary Barnsdale
Mary Barnsdale
@mary-barnsdale
5 years ago
4 posts

Some friends and I get together every Christmas Eve and a few of them have started leading us in new songs (mostly Yiddish Christmas carols and some Swiss-German songs) and doing little performances. This past Christmas it was so much fun, and so goofy, really, that I challenged everyone to come up with a new talent for Christmas 2020 and perform it. You've got a year:  go!

I think I'm the only one who actually took that seriously. I tried Tuvan throat singing for a couple of weeks (YouTube is amazing...I finally realized that if I could master Tuvan throat singing, which would take years, even I would not want to hear myself), the harmonica, the nose flute. Then I remembered the 44-year-old D50 CapriTaurus dulcimer in the garage, which I have carefully carried around in its original cardboard box all these years. I took a few lessons after I bought it in 1975 but the teacher was unimpressed with me and I shuffled off in discouragement. (Crushed.)

I can't play any instrument, don't read music, was overwhelmed by trying to tune by ear, didn't know how to change strings, have never made any headway trying to learn to play the dulcimer by reading the books. I'm kind of shy; I was never going to be able to seek out someone who could help me. But everywhere I went, I carried that dulcimer box full of hopes and dreams.

At the end of January this year, it suddenly hit me:  Could there be videos online now that could help me learn to play this...?

Since then, of course, I've bought two more dulcimers from Howard Rugg. I'm beginning to understand that's part of the journey:  Learn a tune, buy a new instrument.

With trepidation I even went to Redwood Dulcimer Day this past month. That was totally out of my comfort zone; I kind of expected buzzers and flashing lights when I signed in that would spell out "Fraud! Fraud!" I was afraid the whole day would basically be a replay of the angst of walking into the high school cafeteria. But guess what, people were friendly and encouraging and SO enthusiastic about dulcimer music that it was a real high. And I wasn't even the least capable person in two out of three workshops I took, which was a surprise to me. (In the third, I muted my strings and concentrated really hard.)

I think Bosco the comfort dog, who came with Kevin Roth, was a valuable addition. Every festival should have a Bosco.

I'm really grateful for this community, the interwebs, and the folks way back when who came up with this marvelous music-maker.

updated by @mary-barnsdale: 09/13/19 11:20:29AM
IRENE
IRENE
@irene
5 years ago
167 posts

Yeah Patty.....you were surely inspired to get that dulcimer.   JUST BEAUTIFUL.  and to use the cheap piano stand.  Can you lower it to a height that you can sit down and play too?   I use those cheap black Walmart adjustable stands and put it at the lowest level and have several of these parked at my kid's houses in Utah when I go there often to be with them and play music.  I love the noter/drone style and the sound.  There are many tunings for modes that will be useful to learn...but stick to Daa or Cgg and then branch out.  Oh joy to learn that lovely dulcimer you just got.  Congratulations on your recovery and living in Oregon, you'll find many others to play music with.  A beautiful state to live in. aloha, irene

pattyfromor
@pattyfromor
5 years ago
9 posts

Hi, I'm Patty, I live in Beavercreek Oregon, and about 10 days ago a little voice in my head said 'you need to find a dulcimer.' Coincidentally, there was a like-new Folkcraft on CraigsList and when I saw it I happily got it, and have been picking up accessories and books and as much info as I have time to read right now. I joined Fotmd so I could look at how people had made cheap guitar stands work for dulcimers. Heartened, I ordered a likely looking stand from Amazon and it got here today, and I didn't have to do a thing to it except to lower the top extender a couple or 3 inches so it cradles the upper headstock. If anyone's looking for a cheap stand right now, it was $11.98, and it's called the 'Chromacast Upright Guitar Stand Two Tier Adjustable-Extended Height'. The supports on the bottom are about 5.75" across, plenty narrow enough to hold a lady with curves, without me having to tweak it. it clears the floor as it is by a good half inch. A couple pieces of pipe insulation on the supports would move it up farther. (Yes, I am lazy.)

Yahoo! One less thing to worry about. I also need to thank the person who posted a photo of their dulcimer on top of a cheap keyboard stand--I set mine up in my living room with the music stand behind it and it's the perfect height for me to stand up and play.

Looks like I joined the right Mountain Dulcimer group!! Lotsa smart people here!

ps. for instrument junkies, it's a 2007 D Series, made by S. J. Ash of 100% black walnut.

chromacast2.JPG
chromacast2.JPG  •  262KB

chromacast1.JPG
chromacast1.JPG  •  845KB

updated by @pattyfromor: 09/12/19 08:39:06PM
Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
5 years ago
297 posts
Welcome back. You are not alone with hand problems. I wish you the best in your return journey with the dulcimer.
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
5 years ago
1,092 posts

Welcome back! Glad you are beginning to play music again. Keep at the dulcimer.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Cornfield
Cornfield
@cornfield
5 years ago
2 posts

magictime:

I'm not a new member, but it's been several years since I visited so I thought I'd re-introduce myself.

I originally stopped visiting FotMD because I started learning clawhammer banjo and my dulcimer playing fell by the wayside. Then two years ago I had a brain haemorrhage from which I recovered very well, very fast - but which did leave me permanently a bit uncoordinated in my right hand. I found I had trouble getting a strum going on guitar, and even more trouble with the 'bum-diddy' banjo strum. So my instruments were left gathering dust.

Maybe I should have practised harder as part of my recovery, but I was so glad just to be alive and in good health, not being able to play an instrument just seemed 'no big deal'. I didn't feel I had the motivation to try to re-learn skills I might never get back. Plus I had other, family stuff to focus on. But just recently I've felt I wanted to get back to playing music again. So a couple of days ago I picked up my dulcimer and noter and started picking out some of the tunes I used to play and trying to get a decent strum going. I'm very happy to report that so far it's coming back to me pretty well.

It's like a bicycle, once you fall off, you never forget how

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,257 posts

@magictime, welcome 'back' !   Music skills can be a little like riding a bicycle, in that when you restart playing music after a long hiatus, you're not really starting from Square One all over again... you do retain some of the skills, maybe even as 'weird reptilian brain memories'.    frog

--
Site Owner

magictime
@magictime
5 years ago
20 posts

I'm not a new member, but it's been several years since I visited so I thought I'd re-introduce myself.

I originally stopped visiting FotMD because I started learning clawhammer banjo and my dulcimer playing fell by the wayside. Then two years ago I had a brain haemorrhage from which I recovered very well, very fast - but which did leave me permanently a bit uncoordinated in my right hand. I found I had trouble getting a strum going on guitar, and even more trouble with the 'bum-diddy' banjo strum. So my instruments were left gathering dust.

Maybe I should have practised harder as part of my recovery, but I was so glad just to be alive and in good health, not being able to play an instrument just seemed 'no big deal'. I didn't feel I had the motivation to try to re-learn skills I might never get back. Plus I had other, family stuff to focus on. But just recently I've felt I wanted to get back to playing music again. So a couple of days ago I picked up my dulcimer and noter and started picking out some of the tunes I used to play and trying to get a decent strum going. I'm very happy to report that so far it's coming back to me pretty well.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,257 posts

@fiddle, you can always feel free to start a violin thread in our "Adventures with Other Instruments forum, here:

https://fotmd.com/forums/forum/adventures-with-other-instruments

violin jive

--
Site Owner

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,126 posts

Welcome Lisa @fiddle!   Well, we can certainly help you with dulcimer related things, but not many here play violin that I know of.  Fiddle and dulcimer do go together well; many of the 20th century changes to the structure and playing styles of the dulcimer came about because folks wanted to play those fast Celtic fiddle tunes...

fiddle
@fiddle
5 years ago
1 posts

Hi  My name is Lisa. I have played the dulcimer for about 10 years. on and off. I recently  purchased a violin. fiddle Now the problem is trying to get the violin to sound right.. I played the violin in H.S. .... I am just frustrated at my progress. I did play the violin last night in my Dulcimer Group... I will have to learn some more songs... 

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,257 posts

Welcome Cornfield, I hope you'll enjoy the site and your new dulcimer!

--
Site Owner

Cornfield
Cornfield
@cornfield
5 years ago
2 posts

I'm new here. I have experience with several fretted and key board instruments. I picked up a mountain dulcimer at a charity auction last weekend. It appeared to be a 3 string instrument that had a bad rattle. Once I figured out that it was a 4 string, the extra tuner stopped rattling. Some previous owner had two extra frets added, 1/2 and 1 1/2. I started checking you tube and other sites for information and tabs and stumbled across this forum.

I have tuned this to DAdd and am starting by playing the dd as melody with the others droning. I'll work out D, A and G chords soon. Looking forward to having some relaxing fun.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,126 posts

Welcome Marcel!  Sound like you're off to a good start with the dulcimer!  It is, of course, the American cousin of the Dutch Hommel/Hommeltje, and can be played in that traditional manner as well as the modern "Bing Futch" style.  Enjoy your journey.

Marcel
Marcel
@marcel
5 years ago
3 posts

Hi all,

Marcel, 47 years old, from the Netherlands, married, 5 children, ages: from 14 to 26, senior java software engineer by profession.
Playing, collecting and listening to music are my main hobbies. I play bass guitar for 12 years, a little double bass and acoustic guitar (campfire level) and synths.

I found, by randomly watching movies on you tube; Bing Futch and like his work. So I bought an beginner dulcimer to see if it is something that I would enjoy. I have a Roosebeck Grace 4 string. It looks good, sounds nice and the string height and intonation is ok. I think it's a great instrument to start with and already enjoying learning the first songs from Jeffrey A. Lambert's books. For theory I've bought Bing Futch 's Method For Beginning Mountain Dulcimer.

Marcel

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,126 posts

Thanks for the link.  My lyre is not from Trossingen, but from a burial site called Oberflacht, grave #84.  Similar but not exactly the shape of the Trossingen.   I have also made a lyre from the Cologne site.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
5 years ago
1,092 posts

Thanks for the link to your website Riksgewijs. That is a very nice lyre. I enjoyed seeing how you made it.

Ken

Riksgewijs
Riksgewijs
@riksgewijs
5 years ago
11 posts

Ken Hulme:

Riksgewijs  --  Welcome to the group!!!

A Trossingen Lyre?  Congratulations!  Did you include all that wonderful kolrose carving found on the original?  Here's a photo of an Oberflacht 84 replica that I made, with kolrose carvings of a pair of Pictish Beasts.

Oberflacht 84 Lyre.JPG

Many thanks for the warm welcome. 

Yes, this is the one. But the one on you're picture is not quite a trossinger. I has made a page about my lyre. This one i build to last on renaissance markts. So it can have a beating and handle some rain. but the shape and collrossing and looks ar spot on. 

I also made a view recordings. You can find them also on the site and my you-tube channel. 

Hope you will enjoy. 

Riks-Gewijs website, click here

updated by @riksgewijs: 06/10/19 03:09:39PM
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,126 posts

Riksgewijs  --  Welcome to the group!!!

A Trossingen Lyre?  Congratulations!  Did you include all that wonderful kolrose carving found on the original?  Here's a photo of an Oberflacht 84 replica that I made, with kolrose carvings of a pair of Pictish Beasts.

Oberflacht 84 Lyre.JPG

DulcimerBill
DulcimerBill
@dulcimerbill
5 years ago
13 posts
Thank you. I look forward to meeting others here on our learning journey.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,257 posts

@eaglenest61 ,  I love your story about your whole family now learning to play dulcimer together.. all due to you!

I hope you will enjoy this site and find support and inspiration when you see others learning as well in their home music journeys.  dulcimer

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,257 posts

@riksgewijs ...I'm impressed that you have made a Trossinger lyre replica.  Did you use Michael King's plans? Or did you just design it on your own?  The kolrosing is so complex and beautiful, would love to see a picture.

--
Site Owner

DulcimerBill
DulcimerBill
@dulcimerbill
5 years ago
13 posts

Hello, my name is Bill, though I have used Eaglenest61 as my username for years in everything I do. I am new to the world of mountain Dulcimers...or any Dulcimers for that matter. I have always wanted to play the guitar; but was unable to teach myself due to my big fat fingers. Just could not wrap my fingers around the neck properly. My mom suggested the Dulcimer and then informed me that my grandmother on my dad's side played the Dulcimer. Do here I am! I bought a Dulcimer for my mom and I to give her something to do during the day. After my dad passed away 2 years ago; she just seemed so lonely and board. I figured we could learn to play and that would give us more 'us' time. Little did I know my wife would fall in love with the Dulcimer as well. So now, my mom, my wife, and I are all learning to play and having a blast doing it. So now you know a little more about me. I look forward to meeting new friends and learning all that I can about Dulcimers and playing the Dulcimer.

Riksgewijs
Riksgewijs
@riksgewijs
5 years ago
11 posts

Let's introduce myself. 

My name is Rik and married. And I live in Holland and no, not in Amsterdam. Just a regular guy. I am a bike repair specialist and self employed. So I don't have a lot of free time. But the time of my business is my own. So I like to build instruments and model ships. I love to work with my hands and create things. So I am not very musical. I did played the guitar once a tiny bit. Blues and a little bleusrock. 

Now I am playing my own handbuild Lyre. It's a replica of the trossinger lyre. Found in a German Celtic Warrior grave. 

And that's how I met the Dulcimer. Found a view on pinterest when I was surging for more information on a French Lire I would build. Curios I wanted to hear the Dulcimer and on YouTube I found a lot examples. Do you know the feeling "I am home?" Think you know Jessica Comeau, I hear her on the dulcimer. Well that was that. Bought a cheap one. And started to fiddleling around. And really liked to play. The home feeling got only stronger. 

I do try to play almost every evening for a bit. And in the weekends. It's the joy to play what counts for me. I am not trying to be good. 

Now i have an account on Patreon and follow the lessons from Brett Ridgeway and Bing Futch. And yes I do donate for there work. I think it's important to contribute there effords. 

So I hope you know me a little better now. And I try to correspond on this way and to find other players just like me. 

I like to play the old traditional tunes in flatpicking style. 

With many greetings from Holland, 

Rik

Banjimer
Banjimer
@greg-gunner
5 years ago
141 posts

LisavB.  I'm glad you decided to join us.  You will find this forum to be warm and friendly.  We are united by our love for the dulcimer, and we are glad you decided to join us.  If you have any questions or wish to share more of your journey with the dulcimer, we'd love to hear more from you.

LisavB
LisavB
@lisavb
5 years ago
58 posts

Hi, I'm Lisa.  I fell into the dulcimer completely by accident, and fairly recently.  I like making things and my BF keeps teasing me about making a harpsichord for him when I/he retire.  Last November, I thought it wise to start with something smaller, and looked on the Internet.  Hah, I could make a cardboard dulcimer! Not costly, and I could paint it with my own design.  If something terrible happened, not a lot lost.  Oh, and they said it was easy to play, so maybe I could try playing it. 

So I made one from Backyard Music.  Sounds pretty good for a basic cardboard guy.  Painted it with an art deco motif, forest green and peach.  And I started to play.  And it was fun...and...

Then I wanted to try building a solid wood one.  Finally gave in and ordered a black walnut kit from Cedar Creek Dulcimers.  I was terrified--such nice wood to screw up!  But I did it, and I love it!  And wow, the sustain with solid walnut.

I love the dulcimer because there are so many ways to play it (noter, pick, fingers, melody string only, strum only, pick individual notes, chords), seems like you can keep learning and trying new things nearly endlessly.  Took the cardboard one on vacation to Canada recently.  Got to sit by the side of a lake we had all to ourselves (camping) and just improvise.  Wonderful!  (Cardboard one is good to take where there is a chance of getting a ding...)

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,257 posts

Hi Fatcat, we're happy you found us too!!  kittywink

I hope your health improves to allow you to enjoy playing your music at home.  dulcimer

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,257 posts

Hi again Andreas, and welcome 'back' to the site again!  It's good to see you check in here.  I hope your health improves and that you continue to enjoy playing music on whatever instruments inspire you.  nod

I do need to mention that the email address you have set in your account settings here does not function and you need to go into your account settings and change it to a different, working email address, and then hit the 'save' button.  As it stands now with that nonworking email, you will not be receiving any emails or notifications from fotmd that would normally let you know about any private messages, comments on your profile page, friend requests, likes, or replies to your posts.  It'd be great if you can change to a working email address in your fotmd account- thanks!

--
Site Owner

JackLarwa
JackLarwa
@jacklarwa
5 years ago
2 posts
Thank you all so much for such a warm welcome. I've been making mountain dulcimers and other stringed instruments since I graduated college in 1993.

These days I'm a volunteer on staff at Artichoke Music in Portland Oregon where I can be found once or twice a week doing instrument repair.

Peace!
Jack
John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
5 years ago
390 posts

A good job on a beautiful dulcimer!  Here's to many more!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
5 years ago
1,092 posts

Very nice instrument, Jack. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Ken

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,257 posts

Love the rosy blonde color of that dulcimer, Jack!

Welcome to the site.  howdy

--
Site Owner

JackLarwa
JackLarwa
@jacklarwa
5 years ago
2 posts
My name is Jack. The Mountain Dulcimer has been a love of mine for many years. While I am able to play a few songs in a recognizable fashion, it's the construction of the instrument that truly enthralls me.

Here's a photo of one I made just last Christmas
20181223_163413.jpg
20181223_163413.jpg  •  206KB

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,257 posts

Hi Barlow45, I suggest you go to our Beginners Group and read a few of the threads there that have great advice about buying a 'first dulcimer' that's within your price range.  You have to JOIN that group in order to fully read the discussions in it (you can UNjoin any time just as easily).  You'll probably find all the help you need by reading those threads, plus other great tips for your purchase!

p.s. loved your post about your cardboard dulcimer, Lisa!

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 03/01/19 11:20:15AM
Lisa
Lisa
@lisa
5 years ago
21 posts

I have the dulcimers pictured in my avatar.  The one I play daily, often for a couple of hours, is the cardboard one.  I’m not worried if my three small dogs knock it out of my lap while I sit my my recliner.  While I don’t want it to hit the floor, it’s happened a few times with no damage.  It’s always next to my chair, ready to play.  It sounds fantastic, and as Ken noted, the frets are placed accurately.  I love it so much as is, I no longer have no plans to upgrade the box to wood.  Don’t be put off by cardboard.    You can buy one all put together, or buy a kit and paint and decorate it just the way she likes, too.

There’s a saying about musical instruments ...  someone asks, What is the best make and model?  The answer should be, the one I play the most.

Lisa

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,126 posts

Welcome Barlow45 to our happy little corner of Musical Paradise!  We'll gladly give you lots of advice on getting your wife started on this musical journey.  I might suggest that you start a new topic here in the General Mountain Dulcimer forum as more folks will see your query there than in this Introduction thread, and later folks will find our answers to your questions more readily.  

There are literally more than a hundred possibility solutions to your basic question.   In general we recommend avoiding "mass manufacturers" who in other countries, who sell "deals" on Ebay and such.  Brands like First Act come to mind.  

Most of us recommend you start with "Student" model -- dulcimers made specifically to play well and sound good, but which don't have some of the 'bells and whistles' of more expensive dulcimers.  You can find two or three builders of Student models who sell their works for $100 to $175. 

Another option is a cardboard dulcimer.  Yep -- cardboard.  The body anyway.  The critical part of any dulcimer is the fretboard and the accuracy with which the frets are spaced and installed.  Without a good fretboard all you have is what we call a Dulcimer Shaped Object -- suitable only for wall-hanging.  There are, I think, 3 makers of cardboard dulcimers, all of whom make really good fretboards, which can -- after she really loves the instrument -- be installed on a wooden body.  

We can, and will certainly help her learn to play as well.  There are thousands of written and video lessons, song books, audio files and much much more.

Several years ago I wrote an article for beginners called I Just Got A Dulcimer, Now What? which is an illustrated glossary of dulcimer terms (so we all talk the same jargon) plus answers to many beginner questions about tuning, playing, care and feeding of their new instrument.  You can find an electronic copy here:

https://fotmd.com/strumelia/group_discuss/2316/ken-hulmes-i-just-got-a-dulcimer-now-what-article

Barlowe45
Barlowe45
@barlowe45
5 years ago
1 posts
Hello all. I'm looking to purchase my wife a dulcimer. My budget is $250 max. She nor I have ever played and know absolutely nothing about them. We would appreciate any suggestions as to what to purchase for her.
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,126 posts

Strings are strings -- as long as the gauge is right.

Lisa
Lisa
@lisa
5 years ago
21 posts

Ken Hulme:

Lisa -- secret to not breaking strings when tuning is to always tune a "singing" string.  Hold the tuner knob you think is the right one.  Pluck the string and turn it 1/4 turn.  If the singing string does not change pitch -- STOP -- you have the wrong tuner.  

LOL!  Ken, the secret to not breaking strings is not trying to tune it up five notes higher then it should be!  Unfortunately, I got the last pack of strings from the music store, so if I keep experimenting, I’m going to have to resort to banjo strings until they get some real dulcimer strings back in stock.   

Lisa

updated by @lisa: 01/05/19 12:20:54PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,257 posts

Hi @dtortorich ,

Since this is a discussion called "Introduce Yourself", most members don't think to read it in order to answer questions.  If you have specific questions about music and/or dulcimers, you'll greatly improve your chances of getting helpful answers if you create a new discussion in the General forum that has a title related to your question , such as maybe "Good medleys of Christmas Carols?", "Pickling Pickled Peppers song?", etc.  When members see a new discussion like that, they'll often go read it and respond in that discussion if they know answers.
When you click the top link to "Forums", you can then click on the General dulcimer/music forum.... once there, click the "+" Plus button to create a NEW discussion with your question and your own thread title. 

Thanks and welcome to FOTMD!  byebye

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 01/05/19 11:38:20AM
dtortorich
@dtortorich
5 years ago
8 posts
Hello, I'm based in Hattiesburg. Love to play my dulcimer and this past Christmas there were a lot of carols that sound magical on the instrument. Has anyone found a good medley of carols that sound good?
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,126 posts

Lisa -- secret to not breaking strings when tuning is to always tune a "singing" string.  Hold the tuner knob you think is the right one.  Pluck the string and turn it 1/4 turn.  If the singing string does not change pitch -- STOP -- you have the wrong tuner.  

dtortorich
@dtortorich
5 years ago
8 posts
This is Bro Dave from Hattiesburg, MS. I play with the Magnolia Strings. Will post a picture of the group shortly. Mr. Paul Sykes and his wife Betty are our leaders. Anyone heard of them?

/ 5