Ron Gibson
Ron Gibson
@ron-gibson
6 years ago
9 posts

Thanks Dusty.  When I used the icon the uploaded picture looked "funny" so I'm guessing there are size constraints. By the way, I really like your Dizzy quote, true words indeed. 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,724 posts

Ron, I love that lighthouse/seabird design. Your soundholes have always been special and that new design is quite nice.

To post a picture you simply click that little icon that looks like a piece a piece of film (embed local media). It is the second-to-last icon in the toolbar, in between the eye (preview) and the happy face (smileys).  You can also use the "attach file" function just below the text box on the right to attach rather than embed an image.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ron Gibson
Ron Gibson
@ron-gibson
6 years ago
9 posts

My favorite soundhole design tends to change with each unique new dulcimer I build and I tend to get fixated on a particular design at times.  Here's my current favorite (I have no idea how to actually post a picture instead of a link).

https://www.facebook.com/327233890744010/photos/pcb.1336554066478649/1336553353145387/?type=3&theater

updated by @ron-gibson: 09/19/18 09:43:21AM
Clive Quinn
Clive Quinn
@clive-quinn
6 years ago
3 posts

I love traditional hearts and most of the dulcimers I build have them, but I also like to do custom inlay work so my most recent build has featured pearl sharks in the fret board and hammerhead shark sound holes.

IMG_7164.jpg
IMG_7164.jpg  •  63KB

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,421 posts

Gary Sager is a friend of mine!  He and his wife, Toni, own and operate Prussia Valley Dulcimers and are fine folks!  Gary builds a nice instrument-- I own two of his Prussia Valley mountain dulcimers, the box was a custom build and my teardrop I came by used.  You're fortunate to have one of Gary's instruments-- enjoy! 

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
6 years ago
197 posts

Robin Thompson:

@lois-sprengnether-keel  Was your baritone built by Gary Sager?  

Yes!  Do you know more about it?  I am its 2d home.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,421 posts

@lois-sprengnether-keel  Was your baritone built by Gary Sager?  

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
6 years ago
197 posts

My new baritone has what I think is called a Weeping Heart?  Robin 8 years ago posted a photo with the same type of sound hole.  I never heard of this type, so I went looking on the Sound Hole discussion.

Just one more thing in my getting to know my Bari.  It has a lovely tone, but I am having to adjust to extra frets.  Joined the Extra Fret group.  Nothing like an addition to the family to get you involved in more and learning more.

jp
@jp
6 years ago
42 posts

not that it is important... i have bluebirds on my tc obrien.... i hate them.

( if it had been any other of his birds or animal sound holes  I would not have bought it)

they came with the machine which i picked up used for a great price in NC when i

visited.

i prefer traditional holes... except hearts are over used.... i like C holes a lot....f holes are fine... if i could choose i would like the crescent-moon and star as David Schnaufer  had on his .... kind of a stylized C hole.... but never animals or birds. jmho

schauf zoom.jpg
schauf zoom.jpg  •  57KB

updated by @jp: 07/04/18 10:50:21AM
notsothoreau
@notsothoreau
6 years ago
37 posts

Someone mentioned on a forum that Ron Gibson had done a dulcimer with springer spaniel sound holes. He told me that he did, but I haven't been able to find pictures of it anywhere. I keep telling my husband we can take pictures of the dogs. We don't need to use them as sound holes!

marg
@marg
6 years ago
616 posts

(My husband wants springer spaniels,)

I have a springer spaniel & I love my pup but not sure I want that as a sound hole

notsothoreau
@notsothoreau
6 years ago
37 posts

Well, I'm happy with the doves and vines on my Ron Gibson. My husband wants springer spaniels, if I ever do a custom dulcimer. I do like the shape of those old style F holes.

DulcimerDad
DulcimerDad
@dulcimerdad
6 years ago
4 posts

I like the hummingbirds on my Ron Gibson.

Gibson-7.JPG
Gibson-7.JPG  •  119KB

Susie
Susie
@susie
6 years ago
500 posts

linseytn:

This was made for me by OldTyme Dulcimers in north Georgia.  The top soundhole is a little tweety bird

They did a nice job, it's cute! 

updated by @susie: 06/10/18 10:34:15AM
linseytn
@linseytn
6 years ago
3 posts

Susie:

linseytn:

I like my little cats. 

I'm more of a dog person, but those cats are well done. I can see how you'd love 'em. Is that a Folkcraft?

This was made for me by OldTyme Dulcimers in north Georgia.  The top soundhole is a little tweety bird

IMG_0254.jpg
IMG_0254.jpg  •  211KB

Susie
Susie
@susie
6 years ago
500 posts

linseytn:

I like my little cats. 

I'm more of a dog person, but those cats are well done. I can see how you'd love 'em. Is that a Folkcraft?

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,724 posts

linseytn: I like my little cats. 

How adorable!  But I can feel my allergies acting up . . . Image result for sneezing smiley

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 06/09/18 08:59:23PM
linseytn
@linseytn
6 years ago
3 posts

I like my little cats. 

Susie
Susie
@susie
6 years ago
500 posts

Dusty Turtle:

I realize in reading this discussion that seven years ago I promised to post a picture of the dolphin soundholes on my Eedy Beede octave dulcimer.

Splash soundholes.jpg

Since David makes his dulcimers in Florida, the Atlantic dolphin soundholes seem appropriate.  What you can't tell in the photo is how small they are.  Each is smaller than my thumb.

Nice!!!!

updated by @susie: 06/08/18 09:56:36AM
Frank Ross
Frank Ross
@frank-ross
6 years ago
32 posts

I like heart shaped ones - makes it easier to get your pick out when it falls into the MD. F style holes are much harder to get the pick out when it falls thru  - LOL

hugssandi
@hugssandi
6 years ago
244 posts

I think it changes with the season of my life.  I used to want a La Leche League-type emblem!  Now I'm happy with the simple circles on my Feather Dulcimer....  

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,252 posts

Those dolphins are so gracefully designed, Dusty.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,724 posts

I realize in reading this discussion that seven years ago I promised to post a picture of the dolphin soundholes on my Eedy Beede octave dulcimer.

Splash soundholes.jpg

Since David makes his dulcimers in Florida, the Atlantic dolphin soundholes seem appropriate.  What you can't tell in the photo is how small they are.  Each is smaller than my thumb.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 06/06/18 03:30:05PM
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,120 posts

Lisa -- your jouhikko looks a lot like my Anglo-Saxon Lyres -- but with sound holes!

I've made soundholes in all sorts of shapes over the years -- from circles to the Space Shuttle.  All my instruments now have plain circles, in patterns, but I'm partial to leaves -- maple and tulip poplar in particular.  

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,252 posts

One of my favorite sound hole shapes is the quatrefoil ("four leaf").  Not sure why, I just like it and it has an old feel to it.
I had it used for sound holes on both my jouhikko and my "Elizabethan Garden" epinette des Vosges.

strumelia 1.jpg

strumelia.jpg

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 06/06/18 02:47:21PM
Banjimer
Banjimer
@greg-gunner
6 years ago
141 posts

For a traditional dulcimer the classic Dutch Heart soundhole is my favorite, but as others have already said the choice really has to please only one person.  In a way it's kind of like choosing a tattoo. Some prefer no tattoo at all.  Others prefer to have their whole body covered in tattoos.

One consideration is whether or not you ever intend to resell the dulcimer.  Dulcimers with standard heart-shaped soundholes and/or circles will probably have more resale value.  A personalized soundhole will only appeal to someone who can appreciate the choice you have made.

Susie
Susie
@susie
13 years ago
500 posts

Dusty, yes, please post some pictures. Sure it will be for your daughter Smile.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing the dolphin sound holes on a Beede.

Susie
Susie
@susie
13 years ago
500 posts
Thanks, so do I Grin.gif

Leila Maier said:
I like it!!
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
13 years ago
1,724 posts
That's a nice looking dulcimer, Frets4fun! I'm hoping that I'll be receiving soon an octave dulcimer by David Beede with dolphin soundholes as well. It's ostensibly for my daughter, but you know how that goes. I'll post some pics when it comes.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Leila Maier
Leila Maier
@leila-maier
13 years ago
2 posts
I like it!!
Susie
Susie
@susie
13 years ago
500 posts
Here's a picture of my FolkRoots with dolphin tone holes. My dolphimer!

Robin Thompson said:
Hey, frets4fun-- feel free to share pictures when you get the dolphimer! :)
Leila Maier
Leila Maier
@leila-maier
13 years ago
2 posts
Can't wait to see it! I'm excited for you!!

frets4fun said:

I ordered a custom FolkRoots with dolphin tone holes. Should look great (haven't received it yet) and be alot of fun. It will be my dolphimer!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
13 years ago
1,421 posts
Hey, frets4fun-- feel free to share pictures when you get the dolphimer! :)
Susie
Susie
@susie
13 years ago
500 posts

I ordered a custom FolkRoots with dolphin tone holes. Should look great (haven't received it yet) and be alot of fun. It will be my dolphimer!

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
13 years ago
399 posts
I love the maple leaves on my Folkcraft teardrop.As Jennifer Ranger said, I like having something a little different. I think leaves are great shapesfor sound holes...the the aspen leaf is used in advertising as a very stylized design--and easy to recognize, I think! The last thing I'd want on my dulcimer would be something confusing...like when you dress up for Halloween and people (rude people) ask, "What are you supposed to be?" I guess the f-style holes are least confusing!Smile.gif

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Sam
Sam
@sam
14 years ago
169 posts
Sam said:
Have you considered a very sweeping script style letter of one of your initials? The 'M' could be done very nicely with slightly enlarged 'feet'. Go through the alphabet in different fonts in word or something. I bet you'd find some very attractive styles that would add that personal touch you are looking for.

Sam

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
14 years ago
1,724 posts
I like the traditional look of the traditional soundholes as well, but I also think they can be reserved for the traditional instruments.If you are building a new dulcimer yourself, or if someone else is building one for you, then by all means, be creative and personalize the soundholes. I like the look of leaves and vines a lot, but sometime soon I'll have to have a dulcimer made with turtle-shaped soundholes.For you, though, I think you already gave us the answer: aspen leaves. If you play fast enough they might look like they are really quaking! The only problem is that a single aspen leaf is not too shapely and not nearly as recognizable as a maple leaf for example, so you might have to go with a small group, as in the attached photo (though certainly you could rearrange the leaves for aesthetic purposes). Other Colorado-themed possibilities would be the outline of mountain peaks, the shape of a blue spruce, or simply some climbing vines.Whatever you decide, you will have to post some pictures so we see how your new baby looks.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
14 years ago
242 posts
I only made 2 dulcimers, so "favorite" may be speaking prematurely. I used cactus, 2 kinds of birds, mountains, a butterfly and a group of leaves on a vine. The leaves are the soundholes, the vine is a curved line cut only partway into the spruce top, and filled with a putty made from walnut sawdust & wood glue. They were all fun to do, but I guess the mountain and the cactus are probably my favorites. They made it onto both dulcimers, so I musts liked 'em.Paul
razyn
@razyn
14 years ago
40 posts
One time I made a hammered dulcimer for my wife; and since at the time both of our sons were active high school thespians, I carved the little tragedy/comedy masks, as inserts or "rosettes" for the fairly large-diameter holes one makes on an HD. For a pattern, I borrowed a pair of earrings owned by my younger son's girlfriend (a thespianette). Basically, I just enlarged what somebody else had already worked out, in terms of stylization and contours.Sometime, I can excavate that instrument and photograph the holes -- but not at the moment. Also, at my limited skill level, it would be fairly hard to carve those at the smaller scale of most MD soundholes; but there are people in our community who could easily do it. They do make a nice pair, visually.
John Shaw
John Shaw
@john-shaw
14 years ago
60 posts
I know some people are a bit bored with hearts, but I just love them (either way up). I also really like diamonds. Many present-day dulcimers have sound hole shapes that are too fussy, busy and complex for my personal taste (vine leaves etc). Just my two penn'orth!
folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
I like Harpmaker's comet sound hole, and his very delicate F sound hole. My personal favorite is one I cut, a unicorn head.
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
14 years ago
1,421 posts

I echo Flint's choices and can add Bobby's f-holes, too. I like an old-timey look.If a builder has a signature hole, so to speak, I may order that-- it's what I did when I ordered my PVMB from Gary Sager.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
14 years ago
2,120 posts
Among the traditional heart shapes, I like the Weeping Heart,which has a sort of tail out of the point, leading to a drop.If you're going to personalize, I would pick something that has meaning for you - say your favorite tree, or if you like a kind of bird or other animal. Leaf silhouettes make nice sound holes, as do many animals like dogs, cats, bears ad birds. I once made a dulcimer for a lady was a real space nut, and the sound hole was in the shape of the Space Shuttle!
Flint Hill
Flint Hill
@flint-hill
14 years ago
62 posts
Round or Jethro Amburgey hearts . I like them because they look real old-timey.