How is the COVID-19 coronavirus affecting you?

B. Ross Ashley
B. Ross Ashley
@b-ross-ashley
5 days ago
57 posts

Strumelia:
Good for you @Dan !  muscle
I'm currently working on a very large patent drawing job (that's what I do for a living) that consists of drawing a million biotech research graphs, chemical charts, and diagrams. I don't understand what it all actually means, but I have to draw it on my computer accurately and clearly so it can be submitted to the US Patent Office. For 22 years I've done lots of these kinds of medical research drawing jobs, lots of it involved with cancer cures, disease, and genetics. For the first time in a job I'm now seeing lots of references to Covid-19 RNA/DNA virus testing stuff. Feels strange to be working on it and to realize I have a tiny molecular role in battling the pandemic.  pimento

That is amazing, Strumelia!

Closest I have ever got to that sort of work was in 2003 when I was still working as a receiving dock porter at Mt Sinai Hospital here in Toronto ... folks whose supplies I delivered were fighting the SARS outbreak in our hospital. I did my part, you are doing yours, it's all good.

Kusani
Kusani
@kusani
5 days ago
134 posts

Dusty, we are in the same situation. We had our first 'in house' company' last night.  All had their shots and we had a great time.  It is good being able to re-establish person to person contact with little fear. 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
5 days ago
1,420 posts

Congratulations to all those folks getting vaccinated.  By early May everyone in my household will have gotten their second dose, and my folks are already making noise about some kind of family reunion since they haven't seen their children or grandchildren in about 18 months. I'm sure other families and friends are planning similar gatherings.

Strumelia, one day the complicated history of the fight against COVID will be told, and I'm sure we'll learn of an army of people all doing their small part to bring about vaccines and a better understanding of how the virus works.  That will be an interesting story.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty-turtle: 04/17/21 07:52:09PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 days ago
1,960 posts

Good for you @Danmuscle

I'm currently working on a very large patent drawing job (that's what I do for a living) that consists of drawing a million biotech research graphs, chemical charts, and diagrams. I don't understand what it all actually means, but I have to draw it on my computer accurately and clearly so it can be submitted to the US Patent Office. For 22 years I've done lots of these kinds of medical research drawing jobs, lots of it involved with cancer cures, disease, and genetics. For the first time in a job I'm now seeing lots of references to Covid-19 RNA/DNA virus testing stuff. Feels strange to be working on it and to realize I have a tiny molecular role in battling the pandemic.  pimento

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Dan
Dan
@dan
6 days ago
128 posts

I got my second shot of Moderna today, no side effects on this one or the first......looking forward to seeing the grand babies now!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 days ago
1,168 posts

@lisavb Yay!  Our side effects were minimal after our first Moderna; after the second inoculation we felt badly, beginning about 12 hours after getting the shot.  The effects lingered for 24-36 hours or so.  We are so glad to be fully vaccinated for now!  And plan to continue to exercise caution.  

LisavB
LisavB
@lisavb
6 days ago
54 posts

BF got Pfizer #1 on Tuesday, and I got Pfizer #1 yesterday afternoon.  All he got was some local soreness at the vax site for a couple of days.  My arm is sore today, but barely felt the shot.  Our second shots are scheduled.  A real relief to get this process underway!

Susie
Susie
@susie
2 weeks ago
418 posts

Bing Futch:
Susie:My favorite festival cancelled early in the year...the Evart Funfest. Going to miss another year. Hoping for a big celebratory year in 2022. Hope you'll be there again. This is from 2019.

I remember our meeting well!  If FunFest is a go next year, I'm planning to be there, fingers crossed.

jive

updated by @susie: 04/09/21 11:12:59AM
Bing Futch
Bing Futch
@bing-futch
2 weeks ago
3 posts

Susie:

My favorite festival cancelled early in the year...the Evart Funfest. Going to miss another year. Hoping for a big celebratory year in 2022. Hope you'll be there again. This is from 2019.

I remember our meeting well!  If FunFest is a go next year, I'm planning to be there, fingers crossed.

BJ Jordan
BJ Jordan
@betty-bj-jordan
2 weeks ago
10 posts

I'm glad to see so many getting their vaccinations and still worried about those who are not. I live part-time between KY and TN and there's lots of differences in opinions so I'll just let it go at that. I do get concerned that here in KY in the rural part people aren't taking the vaccine for many reasons. There's now more vaccine than arms to put them in. We've had snow and ice storms and then several floods which slowed things down but not now. There's now plenty of vaccine for anyone who is an adult and wants it. Our number are holding steady on those with Covid and at the lowest since last fall. They are just not showing up and some still wanting to know who's going to contact them to get their shots. It's beyond frustrating at times. I just miss the normal at times which can be overwhelming. I don't think even those of us who are vaccinated need to let our guard down completely. Stay safe and be blessed.

Susie
Susie
@susie
2 weeks ago
418 posts

Bing Futch:

Jae and I both got the J&J jab Monday and have only had a wee bit of fatigue plus the sore arm.  Will be interesting to see when a booster will be advised, though many in-person festivals have already scrapped spring/summer scheduling.

My favorite festival cancelled early in the year...the Evart Funfest. Going to miss another year. Hoping for a big celebratory year in 2022. Hope you'll be there again. This is from 2019.

Evart2019 2 1.jpg

updated by @susie: 04/09/21 11:00:14AM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 weeks ago
1,960 posts

My husband gets his second Moderna shot in just two hours... I'm so happy!  (got both of mine already)

--
Site Owner

Mary Z. Cox
Mary Z. Cox
@mary-z-cox
2 weeks ago
58 posts

Hi !

the destribution in Florida has been excellent . Bob & I got our vaccines in February from the health department & the vaccine seems readily available to anyone who will go get it .  
Even though the media claims disparity in the distribution—a look at the income level & rates of distribution county by county are eye opening . For instance —st.John’s County—richest in the state has a 72% vaccine rate & Leon County —only 28 in income levels also has 72%  And Gadsden —one of the poorest counties —around 60 % and that’s probably because there is a younger population there .

A lot of folks want to make a political argument out of vaccine distribution & there has definitely been favoritism —especially in the early stages—but from a pragmatic POV—the lower age requirements & fast distribution to all has actually worked well for everyone except folks in isolated rural areas who may have no one to bring them in . But by getting everyone who can arrive first —it will get to the harder to reach areas sooner too . 
Actually Leon county has gone right in to all sides of town to offer all Covid services —especially the poorer sections . 
Yes—I’m pretty sure some of the richer retirement communities got theirs first —but they got in fast —got it done & moved on to the rest of us very quick :)

Bing Futch
Bing Futch
@bing-futch
2 weeks ago
3 posts

Jae and I both got the J&J jab Monday and have only had a wee bit of fatigue plus the sore arm.  Will be interesting to see when a booster will be advised, though many in-person festivals have already scrapped spring/summer scheduling.

Susie
Susie
@susie
2 weeks ago
418 posts

Robin Thompson:

Cases numbers here in OHio are heading in the wrong direction. shakeNo   It is heartbreaking and disheartening.   

We are #1 in Michigan, but not for the right reason. blinders

On the one hand, my family and I have been vaccinated, which is so comforting. On the other hand, the case numbers are going crazy in the State. We haven't changed our behavior, still taking the necessary precautions. We are just hoping things turn around for everyone's sake.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 weeks ago
1,168 posts

Cases numbers here in OHio are heading in the wrong direction. shakeNo   It is heartbreaking and disheartening.   

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
2 weeks ago
420 posts

Two weeks after my second vaccine (Pfizer) and I'm happy to report that after getting sick for about 5 days with the first shot, I only had a sore arm after the second one.  I've planned a music retreat for July and plan to go to a writing workshop in August and the Black Mountain Music Festival in October.  My book group may actually meet in person this month, outside, of course.  It's so nice to have activities on the calendar after a year of nothing but doctor appointments!  

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 weeks ago
1,420 posts

@venni, I hope you are getting professional medical care and that you recover fully.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
B. Ross Ashley
B. Ross Ashley
@b-ross-ashley
2 weeks ago
57 posts

Venni aka Adrianne:

Well my condition with having COVID-19 is getting worse and I think I am going to a hospital

Yes, please do! The new variants are even faster than the first variety ...

marg
@marg
2 weeks ago
536 posts

Venni,

Take care & hugs from all of us

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 weeks ago
1,960 posts

Yes Venni, you really need to have a doctor take a look at you. 

--
Site Owner

jost
@jost
2 weeks ago
20 posts

@venni Go to the hospital as fast as possible. Covid-19 can get seriously dangerous very fast, very soon. Take care and I hope you get better soon!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 weeks ago
1,168 posts

@venni I hope you can get help with your worsening covid symptoms!  Take care.

Venni aka Adrianne
Venni aka Adrianne
@venni
2 weeks ago
23 posts

Well my condition with having COVID-19 is getting worse and I think I am going to a hospital

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 weeks ago
1,960 posts

Most of my friends have had very little or no reaction to the vaccines other than a sore arm for a few days.
I got that weird "Covid Arm" reaction a week after my first Moderna vaccine but nothing much else. But then after my second shot, like Robin I was bedridden for a day and a half- very major immune system reaction. I'd do it all over again in a second because I feel so relieved now.
Today I went to the supermarket and for the first time in over a year I did not have that creepy feeling every time someone passed close by me, or just from touching things. Yes i used a mask and Purell but I felt sooooo much safer. Oh happy day!

Today I made a date for next week with a dear old friend (also vaccinated)- it'll be my first visit indoors with no masks, with someone other than my husband. Feels so strange to ease back into 'normal' by baby steps.  babycrawl

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 04/07/21 06:06:20PM
LisavB
LisavB
@lisavb
2 weeks ago
54 posts

Who knew a year ago we'd all be swapping vaccine stories and brands by now?  I've heard of people with no reactions (other than local soreness you'd get from any injection), I've heard of people getting kicked with the second shot, I've heard of mild stuff in between.  I have one coworker who actually got the Covid Arm thing a week after her 1st Moderna!  They moved up the eligibility here in WA.  We became eligible 3/31, and now all adults will be eligible as of 4/15, so I wanted to get my butt in gear a little ahead of that!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 weeks ago
1,168 posts

Yay, @lisavb!  

My first Moderna shot was a piece of cake.  About 12 hours after my second shot, my immune system kicked in hard.  It's good to know my immune system is working well.  

LisavB
LisavB
@lisavb
2 weeks ago
54 posts

Excited to report we each have our 1st Pfizer shots scheduled for next week!

B. Ross Ashley
B. Ross Ashley
@b-ross-ashley
4 weeks ago
57 posts

Ken Longfield:

For a long time our grocery stores would not allow us to bring our own bags in to the store. I think that restriction has ease now, although the last two times I went to the grocery store, it was only to pick up prescriptions.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

That has happened up here in Ontario, too, Ken. The city was actually tending towatrds a ban on single-use plastic bags until the pandemic started, then they switched to recomending them, and now we have switched back. Trudeau the Lesser had said he wants a nationwide ban on single use plastics sometime soon.

B. Ross Ashley
B. Ross Ashley
@b-ross-ashley
4 weeks ago
57 posts

Hi ... I finally got my first shot of the M vaccine on Tuesday. Sandie got her shot of Pfizer on Sunday afternoon. In each case the line was not long. (In between us the age-based eligibility for a shot went down from 75, me, to 70 and over, her.)

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
4 weeks ago
420 posts

Your stories of having to constantly go back to the car reminds me of the husband who never left on a trip in the car with his wife without having to go back to the house so she could make sure the iron was off.  He solved that by always taking the iron and putting it in the car before they went anywhere.  Saved making a lot of trips back to the house!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 weeks ago
1,960 posts

Yeah Ken I remember that but only for the first several months of the pandemic, when very little was known about how the virus was typically spread. At first it was thought to be spread mostly by touching, hence the bag ban.

I think we may see the end to automatic hand shake greetings. When you think about it, it's the best way to spread germs and get colds and flu anyway. I'm all for changing it permanently to fist or elbow bumps, or just waving or nodding hello when being introduced.   :) 

--
Site Owner

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 weeks ago
775 posts

For a long time our grocery stores would not allow us to bring our own bags in to the store. I think that restriction has ease now, although the last two times I went to the grocery store, it was only to pick up prescriptions.

Ken

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 weeks ago
1,960 posts

I got into the habit of getting my mask on in my car before going into a store early on. What took me much longer to get used to was when I started using reusable shopping tote bags for the supermarket.  lolol!
I kept leaving those totes in the car ...until i got so fed up with having to walk back to my car, it finally became automatic to tuck them under my arm upon leaving my car. Old habits are hard to break!  Feels really good nowadays to not have all those awful plastic grocery bags to recycle. If everyone did that it would save a lot of sea creatures. I get plenty enough plastic bags from saving bread bags and using those every time i need a plastic bag.  :)

--
Site Owner

James Phillips
James Phillips
@james-phillips
4 weeks ago
85 posts

Dusty Turtle:

I went to Home Depot the other day, and as I was walking towards the entrance, I saw another gentleman walking up as well.  We both saw each other and said "Oh, crap" (or something similar) at the same time.  Neither of us were wearing our masks, and seeing the other guy reminded us of that. So we both turned around and got our masks out of the car.

The CDC is saying that vaccinated people can gather unmasked in small groups with other vaccinated people. But since my wife and daughter have not been vaccinated yet, I'm not risking anything.

At least you weren't Karen's and not masking Dusty and both realized at the same time and went back.  What has struck me in this is how entitled and brazen some people are thinking that they don't have to mask up or that they are above the law when it is mandated.  As I have said countless times on my personal FB page, if you can't throw on a mask for a quick shopping trip, then don't go.  We have to wear one at my job for nearly 8 hours a day save during break when having lunch.  Enough of my rant and roll on masks and not wanting to cause a stir - just sharing my own take on it.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
4 weeks ago
1,420 posts

I went to Home Depot the other day, and as I was walking towards the entrance, I saw another gentleman walking up as well.  We both saw each other and said "Oh, crap" (or something similar) at the same time.  Neither of us were wearing our masks, and seeing the other guy reminded us of that. So we both turned around and got our masks out of the car.

The CDC is saying that vaccinated people can gather unmasked in small groups with other vaccinated people. But since my wife and daughter have not been vaccinated yet, I'm not risking anything.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 weeks ago
1,812 posts

I've been double jabbed, and still only unmask outdoors and not around crowds outdoors at a park or farmer's market.

updated by @ken-hulme: 03/27/21 10:08:20AM
BJ Jordan
BJ Jordan
@betty-bj-jordan
4 weeks ago
10 posts

My second shot was Feb 1st but I still haven't been inside anyone's home or large crowds. As we stick our toe in to test the water maybe we will all get a little braver. I don't have a secure feeling about being in larger crowds. I will still be taking precautions like before. I don't think there's enough data yet on how well we will do at shedding the virus. I've read so many different articles and the one thing I can say is it's all clear as mud. I don't think I've had brain fog like Jan, but if I had a dollar for every time I've had to walk back to my car because I forgot my mask I could buy another dulcimer. Good luck to all and stay safe. Hope Vinni is getting better.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 weeks ago
1,168 posts

@james-phillips Like you, I'm no fan of injections either yet barely felt mine-- yay!  Other than tending to a medical emergency in a relative's apartment nearly a year ago, I have been in no one else's home in over a year.  Even after my second injection has kicked-in (a couple weeks after the injection itself), I will still take appropriate precautions.  So glad you got through the brick walls and got your first vaccine!    

James Phillips
James Phillips
@james-phillips
4 weeks ago
85 posts

We finally, after running through a bunch of brick walls to get an appointment (odd as with working for Dart, we fell into Phase1B of IL's rollout of the vaccine) had the first appointment on Thursday.  I am a screamer for the most part with getting shots, and warned the nurse, and she understood.  She cleaned the area, and we made small talk about her working for Carle, which was the hospital doing it, and she then said "All done".  Did not feel a thing.  I felt a bit tired and irritable yesterday, so nothing to be afraid of.  With regards to how it is affecting me, even though before all this it was becoming a real hassle to get to her house every Sunday, we had not gone to my Mom's in a year for our Sunday lunch and Scrabble game after.  I do miss it as well as just visiting.  I was never a huge traveler so it didn't phase me as it did others.  The most into Champaign I actually have gotten was when I went to the Carle facility doing the Covid vaccine, otherwise I for the most part stay in Urbana save for going to the music store for guitar and ukulele restringings and supplies.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 weeks ago
1,960 posts

That's just plain bizarre , Jan. I hope you (and your husband) stay well despite that strange brain lapse you had.  what

--
Site Owner

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
4 weeks ago
420 posts

Apparently my brain's starting to turn to mush.  I had some in-person business to take care of with someone and went to their house and sat in the living room with 4 other family members and not one of us were masked, nor did anyone think about wearing a mask (I had one in my purse) the hour or so that I was there.  The 4 year old went from person to person and we all loved some on their cat.  I think I had been home an hour or so before I realized what I had done.  I hadn't visited in anyone's home for most of the past year and wouldn't have gone on a social visit.  I almost never leave the house except to use drive-thrus at the bank, library, etc.  My husband does all the grocery shopping and other shopping.  Anyway, I was glad I had already gotten my first shot 3 weeks ago...I will get the second one Saturday.  

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

jost
@jost
4 weeks ago
20 posts

Great news Ken.

Venni: I wish you a good and speedy recovery

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 weeks ago
1,168 posts

@ken-longfield I hope you are doing well after your second vaccine and side effects are minimal for you!   

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 weeks ago
775 posts

Well, the second shot is in the arm. Two weeks from today I should be good to go although I will keep wearing a mask out in public. In two weeks our daughter, son-in-law, and two grandsons will be here to visit. Can't wait for them to visit. We have a lot of planning to do for our trip out to Yellowstone N.P. in late June and early July.

Ken

LisavB
LisavB
@lisavb
4 weeks ago
54 posts

May the wind be at your back...oops, that might be impossible both ways.  Good luck!  We're getting excited, we will be eligible for our age group here in WA as of 3/31.  Soon!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 weeks ago
1,168 posts

Ken, be safe on your drive!  Hope all goes well with your vaccine! 

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 weeks ago
1,960 posts

Ken Longfield:

In about 20 minutes I am off to receive my second vaccine shot. Can't wait, but I will have to fight strong winds and gusts on the way.

Ken, be brave and fight your way through the gusts like the true warrior you are. musclesmile

--
Site Owner

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
4 weeks ago
255 posts

Venni, that's sad.  May God help you heal from this devastating illness very soon.  

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 weeks ago
775 posts

In about 20 minutes I am off to receive my second vaccine shot. Can't wait, but I will have to fight strong winds and gusts on the way.

Ken

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 weeks ago
775 posts

Venni, I am saddened by the news of your contracting Covid19. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

Ken

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 weeks ago
1,168 posts

Venni, truly, I hope you recover and feel better soon!  

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 weeks ago
1,960 posts

I hope you recover soon and feel better Venni. That sounds awful.

I got my 2nd shot 10 days ago, so in 4 more days I should be well protected.. such a good feeling. I can't wait to visit my vaccinated friends in person!

I did experience a very unpleasant day of side effects after the 2nd shot- felt quite sick and confined to bed for a day and a half. But it was a small price to pay, and I feel great now.  pimento

--
Site Owner

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
4 weeks ago
150 posts

So sorry Venni to hear of your disease. COVID is wicked. Take care of yourself and get well soon.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 weeks ago
1,812 posts

We both got our second jabs more than two weeks ago.  Both through the VA.  Sally was 'first wave' as a health care worker, I was 3rd wave as a partially compromised veteran over 70.  Feeling much better about things in general.  But we will not stop mask wearing for probably another year.  We already had lots of quantitative evidence that traveling -- flying in particular -- while masked reduces contracted illness, and for the past 10 years have always flown and entrained that way.

tautwire
@tautwire
4 weeks ago
7 posts

Very sorry to hear that. Very best wishes for a speedy recovery. I‘m sure we’ll all be thinking of you.

Venni aka Adrianne
Venni aka Adrianne
@venni
4 weeks ago
23 posts

Well I am sorry to announce I cought coronavirus which is why I haven't been very active lately, it has taken a big toll on my health, I feel like my lungs are being smashed with a large hammer and set on fire 24/7.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
4 weeks ago
1,420 posts

I got my second vaccine shot this morning.  I then ordered  lunch for the family from my favorite sandwich spot (actually called The Sandwich Spot).  The joint sits across the street from a small park near a small complex for "active seniors."  In the park there were three or four groups of people without masks, all "of a certain age" as they say, picnicking together.  It occurred to me that they had probably all been vaccinated, and it was the first sign I've seen in a long time of social life getting back to normal.

Here in California, the vaccines will be available to anyone over 50 as of April 1 and anyone over 16 after April 15.  That means my wife and daughter can get vaccinated, too, so long as vaccine supplies don't run out.  Once the whole family is covered I'll feel a lot more comfortable meeting with friends I haven't seen in a long time.  

Someday we'll all be interviewed by young students doing oral histories of the "Great Pandemic of 2020" (hopefully not the "First COVID Pandemic") and they won't believe how our social lives were shut down. I never used to go to the movies too often, or go bowling, or hang out in cafes, or that kind of thing. But now I miss those experiences.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 months ago
1,960 posts

@ken-longfield that's a shame about your vaccine delay. It must be frustrating. On the bright side, the delay is 'only' 12 days, so I'll keep my fingers crossed your new appt goes as planned! 

Around our area the snowstorm turned out to be almost all rain (there was ice last night) and was in the mid 30s today. Our 45 min drive was no problem at all, just wet. We were just plain lucky here, when so many are suffering from the current huge winter storm(s).

I got my first covid Moderna shot today - was so excited!   pimento   It was ultra quick and easy. I had filled out the vaccine forms ahead of time at home, no crowds or lines at all  -only took 7 minutes total from when i walked into Walgreen's til when i walked out... and i got to wait the 15 minutes observation time afterwards out in our car with my husband instead of sitting inside the drugstore. 
My only reaction was my cheeks got noticeably pink and flushed for several hours afterwards blush   but i felt just fine and had no fever. Arm site is getting a little sore now hours later but that's really common with vaccines.

Unfortunately my husband does not turn 65 until July, so he still does not qualify in NY state yet. I wish we could get the shots at the same time! But he's always home while I do all the shopping trips, so it's good I get the shots started now. My second shot is in 1 month, same place.

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 02/16/21 06:52:06PM
tautwire
@tautwire
2 months ago
7 posts

The one piece of good news in the UK is the vaccine program, which is going full speed with about 15% vaccinated already. But we still have thousands in hospital and hundreds dead daily. Our thoughts are with all those affected, wherever they are.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 months ago
775 posts

My wife was to get her first shot of the Covid19 vaccine today and I was to get mine tomorrow. Both of us received notices that due to the bad weather and the availability of the vaccine our first shots will be delayed. My first shot is now scheduled for February 28.

Ken

updated by @ken-longfield: 02/16/21 05:01:01PM
jost
@jost
2 months ago
20 posts

My sympathy goes to Kusani and everybody else who lost somebody because of the virus.
The problem with different local government sounds familiar, it's the same here in Germany and also quite frustrating. At least some learnt the hard way after the numbers in their state sky rocketed. 
Still quite sad and frustrating for everybody who lost somebody because of this mess.

BJ Jordan
BJ Jordan
@betty-bj-jordan
2 months ago
10 posts

So sorry about your loss. I live between two states KY/TN I understand frustrations with the difference in how their Governors view Covid.  Please stay safe. Covid doesn't care what view you have. It's a virus.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 months ago
775 posts

Kusani, my sympathy goes out to your family.

Ken

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 months ago
1,960 posts

@kusani I'm very sorry to hear about your brother in law passing away from covid. How awful this virus is.

--
Site Owner

B. Ross Ashley
B. Ross Ashley
@b-ross-ashley
2 months ago
57 posts

Strumelia:

We'll be doing some snow blowing and shoveling here tomorrow too, Bill!

I'm pretty excited- tomorrow I am getting my first covid vaccine! Will be driving to a Walgreens about 45 minutes away, but well worth the trip i think!  dancetomato

Drive carefully!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 months ago
1,168 posts

@kusani I offer my deepest sympathy.  

Kusani
Kusani
@kusani
2 months ago
134 posts

My wife lost one of her brothers last week due to complications caused by Covid.  Please use all recommended precautions and be safe!  Unfortunately we live in a state, Tn.,  where the govt. officials have not taken the virus seriously. :( 

updated by @kusani: 02/15/21 06:40:20PM
Bill Robison
Bill Robison
@bill-robison
2 months ago
16 posts

I had my first covid shot two weeks ago.  I was  impressed by the professionalism of the volunteers and how organized they were! No after effects other than a VERY small tender spot for 3 or 4 hours. I go back Mar 4th. It is only about 5 miles from the house.  I got a Focusrite recording interface so will try some recording tomorrow since they probably will not have the roads clear. It will be a good day for that

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
2 months ago
150 posts

Yes Strumelia, well worth trip. The more folks who get the vaccine the closer we get to at least a little of normalcy. It'll still be months probably before enough are vaccinated for it to be normal to be realistic. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 months ago
1,960 posts

We'll be doing some snow blowing and shoveling here tomorrow too, Bill!

I'm pretty excited- tomorrow I am getting my first covid vaccine! Will be driving to a Walgreens about 45 minutes away, but well worth the trip i think!  dancetomato

--
Site Owner

Bill Robison
Bill Robison
@bill-robison
2 months ago
16 posts

Covid has had us inside for way to long!  Heavy snow now will require firing up the snow blower so at least I have reason to go outside.   Not so bad though electric start and heated handle grips. 

Just a reminder that better times are coming, just be patient.

003.jpg
003.jpg  •  343KB

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 months ago
1,960 posts

Great idea about mailing and then sharing the cup of tea together, Cynthia! Like a little tea club.
There will be some roof raking going on here today as well.

We too 'embrace the hyggelig'. I draped strings of various little lights like a canopy over our little kitchen table where we eat... feels like eating under the stars, but of many colors... sooo cozy we decided we'll be leaving them up for the coming months. We always line up several candles on the table as well when we eat meals.

Jan you're right I forgot about the organizing/purging pandemic fad. I did some of that too and successfully sold off a substantial bunch of stuff on ebay. Didn't purge as many things as I was hoping to, but I did make a nice chunk of change while I was enthused.  :)

In terms of cleaning/organizing projects-  Last month I went through every bed pillow in the house (16 of them!) and threw out 6 of the oldest ones and bought 2 new ones. Some of those 'heirloom' feather pillows were decades old. (yuk)  I also tossed the old inner zipper pillow protectors and bought new ones for every pillow. (got a couple 8-packs of cotton zipper pillow protectors on am*z*n.)  Nice to have that fresh pillow feeling! 

We also decided to get rid of the 30 yr old high quality LLBean real down comforter on our bed- it just didn't seem to fluff up much anymore and I suspected the feathers inside were slowly breaking down over time. It was time.  I took a chance on ordering a down-substitute duvet insert this time instead of real down (which is SO expensive now anyway). Also got new duvet zipper covers for it. It was so lightweight that we had doubts, but the first few nights I was so overheated i kept asking Brian to turn the night thermostat lower. This duvet is way warmer than our ancient real down one, and we wound up reducing the heat at night by 4 degrees... which will save money.

We spend so much time at home waiting out the covid blues. Doing things that give us a sense of positivity, connection, and renewal is helpful.  :)

--
Site Owner

Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
2 months ago
74 posts

Roof raking at zero degrees has become an exciting and uplifting event during covid. Even thought about visited a neighbor who moved away a year ago and recently returned. What was he thinking anyway? This is the perfect place to live! And I discovered many new herb teas that are healthful, refreshing, give give me something to break up the day and mail to friends to have a cup of tea together over the phone. Then folks have something to look forward to. Oh, and more Duolingo languages - I actually got through the new Finnish course 4 times, and all the Scandinavian languages as well. Think Danish hyggelig,,,

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
2 months ago
420 posts

Pandemic fads: searching, sorting, cleaning and purging, all while trying to locate things that I know are around here somewhere...

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

/ 4