Sad news- Rest in peace our good friend John Phillips

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 years ago
1,426 posts

John Henry's tribute to John P is altogether fitting and proper.  And so lovely. 

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,253 posts

John Henry has posted a beautiful tune tribute, played for John P ....

Lament for John P

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 04/03/16 02:34:08PM
sleepingangel
@sleepingangel
8 years ago
98 posts

I'm so sorry to hear of this. I only have been a member here a short time, but he helped me figure out how to tune the dulcimer correctly when I was afraid of popping a string. 

Very sad to lose friends even new ones...

God Bless him and his family

Maria

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

I have revisit much of his post this evening, yes part of the FOTMD family and will be missed. I am so very sorry to hear of his passing, prayers for him and his family.

Janene Millen
Janene Millen
@janene-millen
8 years ago
28 posts

I was so saddened to hear about this yesterday.  He was a gentle soul, and mentor to many of us!

Gordon Hardy
Gordon Hardy
@gordon-hardy
8 years ago
28 posts

'No Man is an Island' John Donne

No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;

if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as

well as any manner of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me,

because I am involved in mankind.  And therefore never send to know for whom

the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

Richard Wojtulewicz
Richard Wojtulewicz
@richard-wojtulewicz
8 years ago
3 posts

God bless you John P. Safe journey Home. 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,124 posts

Fair Flower of Northumberland is Child Ballad #9, and hails from the old English East March a.k.a. Northumberland, which is south of the River Tweed (at that point the border between England and Scotland).  My ancestors, lived along the north bank of the Tweed, in the Scottish East March.  John's rendition is quite beautiful.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,253 posts

Ah!  Thank you Randy!  I was a bit confused since Robin posted it.

How beautiful!    We will all miss John...and as Robin said-  Fare Thee Well.

--
Site Owner

Randy Adams
Randy Adams
@randy-adams
8 years ago
115 posts

Lisa....that's John playing the dulcimer there...I'd recognize that index finger anywhere!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,253 posts

Robin Clark:

[jrEmbed module="jrSoundCloud" id="112"]

Fair thee well John P - you are sorely missed.

Robin, did you perchance compose that pretty tune in memory of John Phillips?

It's so pretty to hear you play it!

--
Site Owner

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 years ago
1,426 posts

Mike, I need a repair made to a tuning peg on one of my dulcimers-- due to life circumstances, I haven't yet gotten to it.  Your dad posted step-by-step instructions for how to proceed with the fix.  Whether I attempt the repair myself or take it to a luthier, your dad's instructions will be with me.  

Randy Adams
Randy Adams
@randy-adams
8 years ago
115 posts

John came up with his own way of explaining and simplifying the sometimes wild and deep talk about modes.. made superb sense talking about "home fret" and "gapped scales"....playing 2 or 3 or 4 modes in one tuning.....clarified my thinking f'sure...

Robin Clark
Robin Clark
@robin-clark
8 years ago
239 posts

This is such sad news.  I was lucky enough to meet with John at a couple of the Nonsuch Dulcimer Club events and we corresponded both here, on ED and by email and phone.  He was such a lovely man and helped us all managed modes due the clarity of his thinking.  Phrases such as 'home fret' and 'gapped scales' have entered our dulcimer vernacular because of John's posts.  Furthermore, he simply loved to play the dulcimer and introduced us all to many old world folk tunes through his music.

jrSoundCloud_embed: item_id parameter required

Fair thee well John P - you are sorely missed.

Sam
Sam
@sam
8 years ago
169 posts

Tender mercies to John's family and friends. 

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
8 years ago
92 posts

such a knowledgeable soul, and kind heart. 

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
8 years ago
182 posts

Rest in peace, John.  You will truly be missed.

Annie Deeley
Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
8 years ago
49 posts

I am sad too. One tune he posted, during the blizzard in the US, was Log Cabin Home in the Sky.........sweet playing...Play on, John-p...

Rick Kennedy
Rick Kennedy
@rick-kennedy
8 years ago
17 posts

On both the original and the new FOTMD, John's was one of the first profiles that I followed.  He was a very kind and helpful man--I enjoyed his comments and the music that he shared.  I, too, wish to express my condolences to his family and friends.

John Shaw
John Shaw
@john-shaw
8 years ago
60 posts

I'm so sorry to hear of John's death.  He was a real independent spirit with a deep love of the dulcimer and its music.

Ben Barr Jr
Ben Barr Jr
@benjamin-w-barr-jr
8 years ago
64 posts

This is sad news indeed.  FOTMD have lost a valuable member, as well as his family and friends.  His presence and gifts will be missed.  May he rest in peace.

Susie
Susie
@susie
8 years ago
500 posts

RIP John. We will miss your knowledge, humor and helpful suggestions. Thank you for sharing your love of dulcimers with us.

MacAodha
MacAodha
@macaodha
8 years ago
33 posts

I am truly shocked and saddened to hear of the death of John P. Since getting to know him I found him a very knowledgeable and sharing person. One of my favourite players, I found his style of playing so perfect and relaxing. He will be sadly missed by all. Natures true gentleman may he rest in peace.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,727 posts

John P embodied what is best about the dulcimer community: an interest in helping others, the joy in sharing music, a general kindness and willingness to take time explaining things to newbies.  He was always eager to share his knowledge of modes and never seemed to get irritated by those like me who never could quite grasp them.

It may seem odd to be so saddened to hear of the passing of someone I've never met, but such is our community. I feel as though I've lost a friend.

Just a day or two ago I was perusing the photos John had posted and was struck by a couple of potted flowers.  I am not sure why I was so taken by them, but I think they reveal a joy in simple things. The flowers themselves--though quite pretty--were nothing special, but John's interest in them and sense that they deserved to be photographed reveals, I think, a sense of the wonder in our everyday lives.  John clearly enjoyed those flowers, and he clearly enjoyed explaining modes over and over to those of us a bit slow on the uptake.

Rest in Peace, John P., the dear friend I never met.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 03/05/16 10:56:41PM
Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
8 years ago
77 posts

Very sad news. Rest in peace John.

Kevin Messenger
Kevin Messenger
@kevin-messenger
8 years ago
86 posts

I am saddened to hear this news. John and I had shared a lot of good conversation. My prayers are with his family. John you will be truly missed. 

Gail Webber
Gail Webber
@gail-webber
8 years ago
70 posts

This is sad news.  My sympathies to all his friends and family.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,084 posts

I join the others in expressing my sympathy to John's family and friends. He was a wonderful asset for our community and will be missed.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

James Phillips
James Phillips
@james-phillips
8 years ago
87 posts

I am sad to hear about this.  John and I talked some, mostly privately, and he always encouraged me to follow my own muse.  RIP.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,124 posts

Sad to hear of the passing of one of our treasured dulcimer players on the other side of The Pond.  He will be missed both there and here.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
420 posts

He was quite the player.  I only wish I'd have known him in the flesh.  I'd think we'd have enjoyed each other's company over a 1/2 pint (or 2,) then played a few great tunes.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
8 years ago
389 posts

Very sorry to hear this sad news.  May God comfort his family and friends.

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
8 years ago
143 posts

Rest in peace.

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
8 years ago
252 posts

A good man indeed... With sadness... Robert 

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
8 years ago
85 posts

Very sad to here that John P has passed away. You will be missed.

--
Site Moderator
Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
8 years ago
74 posts

Deeply shocking and sad to learn this news. We had such wonderful and fun exchanges. I can't believe it.

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
8 years ago
229 posts

Rest in Peace John P. 

Oh I feel a little sad today, however I have been listening to my playlist of John P's music and remembering his gental way of guiding me to hear the sweet sounds. I have been recalling the demo songs he would post for us in audio and how it was slowed enough so I could attempt to pick out the melody along with him, as if he and I were face to face and yet we were across the pond from each other.

I will remember his love for sharing this beautiful instrument and all the encouragement he gave us.

John's music will live along with us, He gave us a beautiful gift and we shall remember his life with appreciation and Love.

Thank You our Friend!

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
8 years ago
258 posts

It is with sadness I have just been given the sad news re Johnp.    I shared with him music, a love of our West Country, and my home !   I also lay claim to having introduced him to this our site, where he gave his knowledge and experience freely and never in a disparaging manner.   He was a quietly confident player of our shared instrument......I just wish he had shared more recorded music with us !

Indeed, Rest In Peace Johnp

JohnH

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
8 years ago
231 posts

Oh wow. This is a shock. He helped me learn a few things. I will miss him. I'll be saying prayers for his family. I am thankful that his music and posts are here. :(

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 years ago
1,426 posts

Oh, I am shocked and saddened by the news of John's death.  I treasured both his friendship and the wonderful music he made.  I'm reminded how through sites such as FOTMD and Soundcloud (where I am one of John's followers), John's music lives today. 

I offer my deepest sympathy to John's family.  He will be sorely missed.  

Rest in peace, John. 

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
400 posts

John's contributions here on FOTMD were always friendly and civil as well as knowledgeable and he was considered a good friend by many.  I hope that his charts--The Dulcimer Compass, (showing organization of the modes) and "Lengths of Intervals (In Semitones)"--will remain on the site.............because one day I may actually understand them!

My condolences to John's family at this sad time.  I hope they find some comfort in knowing his love of music was shared worldwide.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Bob Reinsel
Bob Reinsel
@bob-reinsel
8 years ago
80 posts

Wow, I am so sad to hear this.  John P was a good friend of mine here, and a good FOTMD Citizen as well.  I will miss him.

--
Bob
Site Moderator

The greatest music is made for love, not for money -- Greg Lake
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,253 posts

I have been contacted by a good friend of his and by his son, and I've been asked to share the very, very sad news that John Phillips (FOTMD member John P ) has passed away unexpectedly at home from a heart episode.

John has been an active and respected member both here on Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer and on Everythingdulcimer for many years.  His amazing musical knowledge, his humor and diplomacy, and his generosity in sharing and helping others has truly enriched the entire dulcimer community.  John loved being part of our FOTMD 'family' and his absence will be profoundly felt.  My heart is heavy today.

Please share here as we pause to reflect on John and on his family in their time of loss.

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 08/01/23 12:53:35PM