How is the COVID-19 coronavirus affecting you?

LisavB
LisavB
@lisavb
4 years ago
58 posts

@dusty-turtle, you crack me up!  My longtime stylist retired a couple of years ago, and I was trying to find a new one I liked enough to stick with.  During that time, I visited one who cut my bangs to about 1".  It was like, where are my bangs???  It was hideous.  I wanted to hide for a month (thank heavens my hair grows fast).  I found someone I liked since that debacle, but of course the shop is closed for who knows how long.

Ken, your guitar looks amazing!!!!  Great work!  It is beautiful!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,095 posts

That's a really nice looking Fender Strat. The Champion 20 is great amp. Here is a photo of guitar I built. I use it with a Fender Mustang LT 25.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

IMG_3941.jpeg
IMG_3941.jpeg  •  129KB

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,732 posts

What a cool guitar, @lisavb. I've been eyeing some guitars recently, but since I hardly play the ones I have it's hard to justify another purchase.

For the record, I also cut my own hair recently, which is why no one will be seeing any pictures of me sans hat.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,095 posts

LisavB, I'm glad to hear your are using your stay-home time well. I'd love to see your pick Fender Strat. Last summer I built a Fender Strat look alike from a kit. I painted it emerald green. It is my first and only electric guitar. I bought a cool little Fender amp to go with it. Haven't tried cutting my own hair yet, but that may be in the future.

Ken

LisavB
LisavB
@lisavb
4 years ago
58 posts

They extended our stay-home until 5/4 now.  I succumbed to temptation and ordered a shell pink Fender Strat--it arrived earlier this week.  I've never in my life played an electric until now.  It's a new trip, for sure!  I'm working from home, so haven't had a huge amount of time to play during the week.  Planning to sit down with all my stringed friends (dulcimer, Fender acoustic and my new pink wonder) and play, play, play!  (And attend my Zoom yoga class, of course!)  If the weather is sufficiently decent, perhaps I will take my dulcimer and acoustic out onto the deck to enjoy...

I have also had to cut my own hair...so far, not bad!  It's layered and naturally curly, so it hides errors well.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,126 posts

Tom-g -- I recommend you NOT use a coping saw to cut notches in the nut/bridge.  Most of us use a small triangle file to make notches not much more than string diameter deep.  If the nut/bridge needs to be seriously lowered, we remove it, and sand the bottom on a piece of sandpaper on a hard flat surface.  The Nickel/Dime technique is a good place to start.  First lower the nut, the strings should just touch a dime placed next to the first fret.  Then lower the bridge.  The strings should just touch a nickel balanced on top of the 7th fret. 

tpgugliotta
tpgugliotta
@tom-g
4 years ago
2 posts

Dusty Turtle:

@Tom-g, our schools here closed just around that time, too. It's great that you are able to use this time on such a rewarding project.  Action on older dulcimers was often high because those playing with a noter don't need the action as low as those of us who use our fingertips.  The dulcimer sure looks lush and beautiful in the picture!

Thanks for the information.  Luckily the fretboard is pretty straight.  I just have to go slow with my cuts to avoid buzzing.  I added a picture of the abalone markers that I got on Ebay also.  Those I installed with a 1/4" Forstner bit cutting a little bit at a time.  I put them at the usual 3, 5, two at 7, and 10.

updated by @tom-g: 04/08/20 11:01:15PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,732 posts

@Tom-g, our schools here closed just around that time, too. It's great that you are able to use this time on such a rewarding project.  Action on older dulcimers was often high because those playing with a noter don't need the action as low as those of us who use our fingertips.  The dulcimer sure looks lush and beautiful in the picture!

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
tpgugliotta
tpgugliotta
@tom-g
4 years ago
2 posts

I am from Albuquerque, NM and work for the public schools here.  Our governor shut our state down very early, March 16.  About that time I bought a 1984 FolkCraft dulcimer on Ebay to add to my collection.  It looked un-played when I got it but since I had spare time, I decided to refinish it and put abalone fret markers on it.  I spent a couple of hours each day for a couple of weeks removing the old finish, fine sanding it and putting on a new wipe-on poly finish.  It's a nice looking instrument, all walnut and book matched soundboard.  I've got it all assembled and strung now but the action is too high.  The bridge is uncut, which seemed rather odd.  So I will have to use my coping saw to cut the bridge for each string.  It sounds pretty good.  A little small and bright for my taste though.

RefinishedDulcimer.JPG

FretMarkers.JPG
FretMarkers.JPG  •  306KB

updated by @tom-g: 04/08/20 10:50:04PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,258 posts

Steve, I think we are all tending to appreciate our neighbors more during this virus thing.
I had a new neighbor buy one of the houses adjacent to ours at the beginning of Winter, but it being winter I never saw her or had a chance to even say hello and introduce myself.  Today was beautiful weather and i finally saw her outside putting her garbage out, so I went to the edge of my property corner and we talked for about 20 minutes catty-corner across the embankment that separates our houses, and got to know each other a little from twenty feet away. It was nice. She lives there alone with her dog so I'm sure she was happy to meet a friendly neighbor.

I wanted to spend some time out in the sun, so I pruned our blueberry bushes some more, nipping off some dead and crossed branches.  And I planted some more lettuce and radish seeds.  Last week's seed is now sprouting up. I love to look for the seedlings poking up.. it's hard to know which i like better: planting the seed and watching for the baby sprouts, or harvesting and eating the results.
I took the little window box outside of Brian's office window that I usually plant with flowers in the Spring, but this time I instead planted it with a seed mix of baby mesclun salad greens.  pimento

About 5 weeks ago when all this virus crisis started, I had a half tank of gas and figured I'd fill it up when it went down to a quarter tank. Over the past five weeks I've used it to go to pick up food in town twice, gone for medicine once, and driven to a good place to go walking about eight times now. But it still shows a half tank. Must be magic gas.  happys

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Steve Smith
Steve Smith
@steve-smith
4 years ago
32 posts
Another nice change is actually seeing our neighbors. We like to walk along the streets in our area for exercise (no sidewalks, here), and yesterday we saw, waved at and sometimes hollered back and forth a bit with more neighbors than we've seen in years. Everybody was out on their porches or driveways enjoying the pretty day. It'll be nice when we can go visit them again!
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,732 posts

Last night I had a virtual happy hour (the beer was real) with a few friends from college.  We were spread across three time zones but got together online to chat for a little while.  It was nice to catch up with them and their families and to share some laughs and nostalgia.  Under normal circumstances we would not have done this, but it's a good example of how collectively confronting this pandemic can bring people closer together even while we engage in social distancing.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
4 years ago
143 posts

Good song, Dusty...good playing and singing, too!

Carla Maxwell
Carla Maxwell
@carla-maxwell
4 years ago
13 posts

Dusty Turtle:

Here's a little tongue-in-cheek silliness.  I put new lyrics to the old blues tune "She Caught the Katy and Left Me a Mule to Ride" and came up with "She Caught the 'Rona and Left Me in Quarantine."

@dusty-turtle  Very nice! Adrian and I enjoyed listening to your song. I liked that it made you laugh while you sang it. 

Adrian and I were just talking about our 6-9-month plan and how to move forward. Our group accommodation business is probably on the way out. We are discussing our options of renting to long-term tenants and happy to have options in that regard. 

We are following the safer-at-home rules and only getting out in the world for groceries - using sanitisers and gloves trying to wash or remove packaging before we put groceries away. The Victorian government has limited gatherings to two people except for work or members of the same household.

On a more positive note.....I have been knitting for our grandchild and just had a safe-distance-visit in the garden to deliver a knitted gift. It's autumn here and currently raining, so the visit was awkward, not inviting family members in to our home, yet still exciting because we got to see our son and grandson.

Also, we normally spend 3 months here and 3 months in the U.S.A., so we don't normally keep a big pantry of groceries in either place. We actually have more food on hand than we normally do and that feels good. 

I hope everyone stays safe and well!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,732 posts

Here's a little tongue-in-cheek silliness.  I put new lyrics to the old blues tune "She Caught the Katy and Left Me a Mule to Ride" and came up with "She Caught the 'Rona and Left Me in Quarantine."

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 04/05/20 12:29:18AM
IRENE
IRENE
@irene
4 years ago
167 posts

I just love reading all that has been written here.  SMILING.  Today watched the first barges on the grand Mississippi.  drove into Nauvoo to have someone put in my car 40# of wonderful fresh chicken breasts.  I'm canning all that now.  I'll save the last batch for tomorrow.   whew.  On that dulcimer, not worth saving.  but is sure has me thinking how I might make a box dulcimer out of aromic cedar wood.   I know it has a tendency to crack....so I'd reinforce the inside of the top and the bottom.  hummmmmmm. creative juices are COOKING like my canned chicken.  ha ha.  Lots of wildlife around here too and I sooooooo love the froggies and critters making their orchestra in the little marsh in front of my house.  I'm making this into a good time....as best I can.   Still miss being with friends and making music together.  aloha, irene

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
4 years ago
143 posts

In my self-quarantine, I have gone far beyond talking to myself...I'm now arguing with myself...and I'm not winning any of the arguments! I'm also finding it rather difficult to keep a safe social distance from myself, but, I keep trying. I wash my hands often, especially since I'm in direct contact with myself a lot of the time. Since I don't have any facemasks, I've taken to using clear plastic bags over my head...they make it a little hard to breathe, and they fog-up pretty quickly, but, they sure work in a pinch! But, the question if the coronavirus is affecting me?...No, not really! whistle

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,258 posts

I made a quart of yogurt for the first time yesterday.  To make it i used a quart of milk that was nearing expiration, and for the culture a 1/4 cup from the last of our store bought yogurt.  I incubated it for 12 hours in a cooler that contained a jug of warm water. The result was pretty much perfect yogurt.  Drizzled some of our own honey on our new homemade yogurt, with a chopped half apple and some granola and we had that for breakfast.  :D   I used to make kefir years ago, but I like this yogurt making even better, so looking forward to making more yogurt as soon as I can get hold of some more store bought milk.

For dinner we ate sandwiches with a frugal amount of salami and cheese, but with plenty of fresh alfalfa sprouts Ive been growing in jars in the kitchen.

Last night we watched Burt Lancaster in Birdman of Alcatraz... an excellent and fascinating movie that I remember from my teens, based on a real man, Robert Stroud.  It reminded me of 35 years ago when I used to raise canaries as a hobby... and back then I had a copy of Stroud's book of bird diseases.

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 04/01/20 07:14:39PM
Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
4 years ago
197 posts

This started out as a response to what @dusty turtle said, but then the floodgates opened and much more spilled out, some of it even musical!  Since that's what mainly is of interest here I did a Cut of the computer-related information that came 1st, planning on re-pasting it at the bottom.  Got busy putting in the links to 3 members here & accidentally deleted it hairpull !  That segment is where the bulk of my time has been spent, so in the interest of at least some honesty will be attempted again near the end.

@dusty turtle said:

hummingbirds, bluebirds, and bees

frolick among my citrus trees.

were it not for these

and the frest spring breeze

I'd be panicked about

this dreaded disease.

Dusty, I'm so glad to hear it as those pollinators are critical, also butterflies.

I have dulcimer songs I've played to keep advancing.  It includes the June theme we might actually get to use at our local folklore group, assuming we're meeting by then.  May is already canceled by the place where we meet.  It's a tricky jig combining Little Liza Jane & Old Joe Clark in an arrangement by Larry Conger.  The theme was Youth to Old Age.  There's no way I can play Old Joe Clark at the pace of my banjo playing husband, so this 6/8 jig time does exactly what I need.  My own version of this is, after playing 1st LLJ, then OJC, I bring her back & softly play the melody string of LLJ as I figure she wants the last word!  I'm also working on my plain Jane TMB (thank you, John Knopf ) the song to the tune of Yankee Doodle naming the presidents -- it goes up to Hoover, but I use it only up through Wilson as it's part of a one-room school teacher program I do.  I've got one scheduled for September, but do the program often enough I really need to learn the song.  I asked John to make something very basic a teacher might have carried.  This was after getting hooked on the TMB by the lovely, but too beautiful for this use, TMB I bought from Irene after admiring it last year at the Berea Gathering.  I'm also playing the parody of The Sloop John B that I mentioned here.  It's called the Sloop John A & I'm sure the folkies at our local group will catch the sly humor.  My biggest problem is getting the parody words right as I played the original apparently way too often on my guitar & tend to give the original.  Love calypso rhythms (I'm also playing Jamaica Farewell just for my own amAsement), so it tend to creep into whatever I play after that.

My solo rehearsal of songs, dances, & lines from the 2012 version of Godspell -- a much more complicated vocal version -- should be happening, but knowing the show's been re-scheduled for mid to late July hasn't been very motivating. (I switched from Alto to singing Tenor with the guys as the Alto arrangement had too many high notes to sing constantly.  I can reach them, but knew it was asking too much for too long.)

Fortunately shelter in place doesn't forbid my every other day hikes with my beautiful Beast.  I posted pictures of him at the end of my weekly blog .  Last Saturday, March 28, I also included my gradually petered out attempt at singing a pre-chosen Song of the Day -- a local radio station posted the selections and maybe it would have worked in a suburban area, but not in this place of acreage with few people close enough to hear anybody else.  Didn't want the Italians to have all the musical fun.  I guess for this group I should revise ever so slightly the parting message on last week's blog to read: If you self-quarantine for your family's safety, please be smart.  I can't afford to buy 15 musical instrument baby shower presents in December.

As for my computer projects, it's like cleaning up the sands on a beach, they never end.  Of course the death of my very old computer (WIN7 upgraded to 10) at the end of last year didn't help.  I'm a "belt and suspenders" type of person, using automaGic online backup from Carbonite + an external hard drive.  The only problem is original programs are something techies tend to back off from installing and getting running again because they might not do it right.  A perfect example was my AzzCardfile program.  I have well over a 1000 folktale anthologies on it (can you tell I'm both a librarian and a former indexer?), but when I discovered I now had a program missing the purchases of the last several years, I started re-inputting (those suspenders I mentioned came in handy for knowing what was missing).  The only problem was I kept doing dumb things that made it crash!  AARGH!  Miss working regularly in a library where techie teens could give suggestions.  (Nowadays I just sub in a library . . . at least when it's open.)  O.k. back to the inputting, crash, re-do it until finally I got the bright idea to check that external hard drive & found MY COMPLETE FILE!  Decided the more recent inputs were worth incorporating.  Learned how to put that information side by side on the screen.  It's now the renamed (to make me know which is the improved version) catalog which includes some of that improved information on contents. 

I also have Thunderbird as an email program where I archive my email to help me find past venue information & potential gigs; an email list for storytellers (yes, it's available elsewhere, but, in the past, when a host dropped it abruptly it showed how a personal archive could help); other family information; various other stuff I'm not ready to lose.  The problem was in the past several years I started using the webmail provided by the host for my website while on the road.  The only problem was it had a data limit -- high, but not the unending archival limit found by storage on my computer.  I eventually had stopped going over to Thunderbird & making use of my folders.  The last several years have now been somewhat filed & I discarded what has no obvious need to be stored.  Is there more I should do?  Dunberidiculous!  

As for home-related projects. . .I'm mainly putting things off until I can open windows.  Can't breathe dust and I long ago freely confessed to dual church membership where I am the Chief High Prophetess of the Church of the Unholy Mess.

As for storytelling, since I do "run my mouth for fun and profit", right now this has switched to my weekly storytelling phone calls to a family member's two daughters ("Who are these children and why are they calling me Grandma?").  I let them each choose a type of story I will tell & then we also make up a story together.  Long ago I also became a Talking Book to my husband while we're on the road, so now it's being read in place.  I usually try to alternate a modern setting with a historical mystery.  We just finished one of the Lady Ginger Gold mysteries set in England during our own Prohibition era (she's just moved back to England from being raised in the U.S.), so I read one of the tons of e-books waiting for me to him.  This was a novella about a detective solving a case involving a valuable missing bubble gum baseball card.  I had pre-read it & knew how to do it justice as my husband had enjoyed the wisecracking style of the Golden Era Hollywood detective, Toby Peters (hate it when an author has the nerve to die so the series ends!), & Elvis Cole (the author started getting too gritty eventually).  Looks like this new series will work, so it's 1st full-length book waits while we read more about turn-of-the previous century New York with a mid-wife & NYC Irish police detective, a series with tons already read, but even more waiting on the shelf or yet to be purchased.  I've purposely skipped vital information about authors as the librarian in me would love to hook you on something new to read.  I hope you know that, whether from your library's own online book provider or by your buying them, there's good reading available.

Like most others I know, I've been in various web meetings; have prowled Facebook; checked here.

That's way more than you probably cared to know and I promise it doesn't really say everything .

As a storytelling friend likes to end her emails: There's always a story, it'd be a shame not to tell it.

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
4 years ago
235 posts

I am enjoying our wildlife friends in the back yard. Whitetail deer, Canada Geese, squirrels, racoons, possums, 10 or 15 species of birds including a really large specimen of a redtailed hawk we call Chester.

Also I am getting in some time trying to learn Tabledit, playing my dulcimores, and tabbing out some hymns and other songs.

Yard work will be calling soon as our grass is greening up after its winter dormancy. I'll plant a few things in my vegetable patch by the 8th or 10th.

Stay well all. We'll be past this after awhile.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,732 posts

hummingbirds, bluebirds, and bees

frolick among my citrus trees.

were it not for these

and the fresh spring breeze

I'd be panicked about

this dreaded disease.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 04/05/20 12:27:23AM
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
4 years ago
400 posts

Irene--isn't that bum dulcimer worth something as a wall-hanger?  I often see these as part of the decor at a home or business.  Some don't have strings or tuners, but are still interesting as folk art.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
4 years ago
400 posts

Looking forward to your video, Dusty!  Humor helps a lot!

I'm in week 9 of staying at home 99.99% of the time...and full time for the last month.  I was tested for COVID19 last Wed., but don't have the results, yet.  The governor said tonight that it might take 10 days or more if our test was sent to a private lab.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,732 posts

That's pretty good, David.  I had a similar idea.  I put new lyrics to the old blues song "She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride." My version goes "She caught the 'rona and left me in quarantine."  I played a few verses at the virtual version of my local dulcimer group last weekend.  I originally intended a serious song, but there are a lot of funny words to rhyme with quarantine and I just had to include them, so it ended up pretty silly. If I get a chance to make a recording I'll post it here.  

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
4 years ago
60 posts

I am now telecommuting and as a result getting a little cabin fever. Bobby Ratliff has got some of us learning Waterbound. It's a nice little tune and the lyrics are fairly simple (it's one of those songs that has a lot of versions for the lyrics). Because of the simplicity I took a quick stab at making my own lyrics, and changed the name to Quarantined.  I haven't checked to see if the words/syllables match the measures/beats of the music but you get the idea.

Quarantined

Quarantined and I can't leave home, Quarantined and I can't leave home,

Quarantined and I can't leave home, Down in Alabama.

1. Teleworking in the backroom at home (3X)

Down in Alabama

Chorus

2. David and Karen must stay home (3X)

Down in Alabama

Chorus

3. Social distancing sounded like fun at first (3X)

Down in Alabama

Chorus

4. Wash your hands and please stand back (3X)

Down in Alabama

Chorus

5. Toilet paper is in scarce supply and I don’t know why (3X)

Down in Alabama

Chorus

6. COVID-19 sounds like a bad horror movie title(3X) (OK that's pretty bad)

Down in Alabama

Chorus

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
4 years ago
167 posts

I have now been home for 2 weeks and 2 days.   Missing friends and such, I have my sweetheart.   I had someone come and light the pilot light in my shop so I could create in there without freezing out.   I have an all cherrywood dulcimer under the varnish now and tomorrow I'll "steal" 4 banjo machine pegs from a junk dulcimer.  I think I'll do as Bob Gerard did....burn it.   I paid only $40.00 and it's not even worth that.  ha.  I'm always excited to create things and to have more time to do this is GREAT.   My mother used to sing some ditty of a song to me and I just thought she made it up...till I found that it's a real song.  "Accentuate the possitive, eleminate the negaitve, latch onto the affirmitive and don't mess with Mr. Inbetween."  Her age went through the great depression.   We may too, I think I'll look at those old songs on youtube again as some of the best positive lyrics with great music came from the depression era.  Prayer can get us through anything.  aloha, irene

marg
@marg
4 years ago
616 posts

I am sending out music videos to family & friends - Music is not on lockdown  - Stay Safe 

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,258 posts

Dusty for social distancing, you'd have to get someone who has a six foot long pair of scissors...

29963d9d3c812c5241a2ca93539148fd.jpg

--
Site Owner

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,732 posts

I have a medium-sized bottle of Purell which I would gladly give someone if they came to my house to cut my hair.  We could just do it in the front yard.  If you see me wearing a hat, it's not for style; it's just hiding the gray jungle underneath.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 03/29/20 04:31:26PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,434 posts

Jan, I hope you are able to get an accurate diagnosis whether COVID-19 or something else!  

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,732 posts

I'm glad you were able to get tested, Jan.  Good luck!

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
4 years ago
400 posts

I'm happy to report that I was finally able to get tested today! I waited in a line of cars for 2.5 hours, but was able to talk to a friend on my cell phone for most of that time. Beautiful warm day, and the first time I've been out of the house in a week! They said to expect the test would come back negative, but they did document that I currently have bilateral lung involvement--8 weeks since I first got sick!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Ruth Lawrence
Ruth Lawrence
@ruth-lawrence
4 years ago
41 posts

Still at work. Glad to be working.

Still go out to stores as needed. I take extra precautions and when I get home I "decontaminate" myself and wipe down my purchases.

Glad I can help out other friends who need groceries, etc who can't get to the store/ who are struggling financially.

A friend has chickens and just today dropped off at lunchtime 22 dozen beautiful eggs (organic feed, free ranging). They taste delicious and are for myself, friends and coworkers.  So you have every right to be jealous! These eggs are very pretty too, being all different coloured shells.

Life is interesting at the moment but good. We can do much good to reach out to others. :)

My usual activities were shut down (church & church activities, volunteering, playing music with friends, going to a festival at the end of March) but I can still garden and play music at home. If I get the time! Work is busy, getting stuff done under the threat of a shutdown, who can foresee what will happen, but it's all good.  I have my worries for others, but I do not worry for myself unduly.

Black Dog Bess
Black Dog Bess
@black-dog-bess
4 years ago
18 posts

Church attendance had been a big part of my life and music but all physical churches are closed in Allegheny County PA (Pittsburgh). I went hunting and was delighted to find many churches have picked up the challenge and are worshipping digitally. I am Eastern Orthodox and found a local monastery of nuns (Transfiguration in Ellwood City PA) are You Tubing all their services, actually looks like they have been doing it for some time. What a blessing!

God bless you all and keep you safe,

Barb

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,258 posts

It's been two and a half weeks since I went food shopping anywhere. I found out my favorite restaurant/deli/bakery has put up a website offering "contact free purchasing"... you pick out what you want and pay online, then the next day they email you when your order is ready and you drive there and pick up the shopping bag with your name on it, left in the vestibule with no one else around.  I made an order yesterday. When I get it home I plan to immediately transfer all items into our own bags and containers just to be extra safe. Waiting for the email sometime around midday.
I am sooooo looking forward to a couple of fresh baked croissants, loaves of multi grain and rye bread, and fresh farm eggs this afternoon... it will be such a huge treat!!  Before the VirusTimes, my husband and I would savor going for breakfast there every saturday and sunday. It was our big weekly treat and I'd dream  zzz   of their wonderful croissants.  It's been weeks since I had one, or had bread that hasn't been frozen, thawed, and refrigerated.  :)  
I know we are lucky to have food at all , of course. But this is such a nice pick me up for us during this time of endless days at home while slowly going through our supply of perishables.
Can't wait!
I feel your excitement over the fresh eggs and chicken, Dusty!  pimento

--
Site Owner

Dan
Dan
@dan
4 years ago
185 posts

The CEO is buying us lunch today!!!

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
4 years ago
400 posts

Over the past lotsofyears, I've been shifting books that I find here and there about the house, over to a bookshelf (several, actually) for "books I intend to read someday."  I'm a retired LIBRARIAN, so I don't just willy-nilly go out and buy books.  They seem to come to me anyway....For many years I have been unable to sit and concentrate on a book, so I practically wear out the pages by going back and reading and reading through, once again, what didn't "take hold" the first time.  Or second.  Or third.  I don't listen to audio books for the same reason, and I find kindle, etc., aggrevating when I try to find my zoning out place.  Over the last month, I've read 4 books, which is remarkable for me.  I've read 2 memoirs, a novel, and a book on writing.  Now I'm turning to "Fifty Things That Aren't My Fault", a book of essays by Cathy Guisewite, creator of the cartoon "Cathy."  Time for a some much-needed humor.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,732 posts

I felt like a conquering hero when I returned home this morning with a couple dozen eggs and some chicken.  Neither had been available anywhere nearby for some time.  I got the last of the eggs and the grocer admitted that he was having trouble getting them.  Doesn't make sense. Restaurants are closed or only serving take-out and the farmers' markets are all closed. You would think there would be plenty of eggs available for retail sale.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 03/26/20 01:18:57PM
Carla Maxwell
Carla Maxwell
@carla-maxwell
4 years ago
13 posts

@Mary-z-cox Your lemon tree reminded me of the four or five quinces that the cockatoos have not eaten. I need to go grab them and make quince paste! I'm not usually here when they are ripe, but this year is different.

Mary Z. Cox
Mary Z. Cox
@mary-z-cox
4 years ago
62 posts

Tallahassee is pretty shutdown--FSU gone remote, public schools closed, bars, clubs closed, restaurants--take out only. Groceries open but shelves getting empty.  Spending a lot of time cooking, writing a new mountain dulcimer book, getting ready for a new mountain dulcimer recording, learning some new tunes and songs.

My local gym is closed--so I've become the fitness director for Elvis (my 15 yr old basset hound) He walked 4 miles yesterday --but only 2 today.  I miss my zumba classes--so have a plan to teach him zumba in the kitchen while I'm cooking.

Yesterday--I made Meyers Lemon marmalade--because I still have lots of Meyer's lemons on my trees and it turned out wonderful.  :)

Trying to update some of my profiles on pages that haven't been updated in years & updating pix.

Zumba??? Now you want me to Zumba? I'm not going to pose with that dulcimer again--not enough milk bones in the world for that :) If you make beef stew again--can I lick the crockpot ?

updated by @mary-z-cox: 03/18/20 10:35:24PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,258 posts

Yeah, there is some serious stay-at-home action going on everywhere now.

My husband and i are now planning every meal with much forethought and care.  It's really making us appreciate and savor every egg, apple, quart of milk, or fresh banana that we still have. After all the fresh perishable stuff is gone, we'll be digging into dried, frozen, and canned stuff, but that can taste good too.  Made rice and beans on tortillas tonight, with some pan-seared raddichio tucked in.

We take a brisk 1.5 mile walk around the mostly empty county fairgrounds several times a week- it's pleasant and is only a half mile from our house and is open to the public. It's got lots of paved asphalt paths and loops. Only a few scattered people are there at any given time, walking their dogs or with baby strollers or jogging. 

It's such a strange thing to look at a practically empty calendar devoid of 'running out' for various errands, shopping, appointments, or meetings.  tic

Stay well dulcimer friends!  flower

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 03/18/20 09:54:35PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,732 posts

Just yesterday afternoon as I was cancelling my monthly dulcimer group, county officials issued a stay-at-home directive.  We're allowed to shop for groceries or go to medical appointments, but everything else is on hold.

@Dan, you're one of the few among us whose work is genuinely necessary right now.  Keep on trucking!

For those of you traveling like @Irene and @Norm3206, I hope you get home quickly and pass through as few crowded spaces as possible.

I certainly applaud your efforts, @Carla-Maxwell, to postpone festivals and decline gigs at the moment.  

@Jan-Potts, one tip you might try if you have trouble getting groceries.  One of the closest supermarkets to our house offers a curbside pickup option.  You order food online, they give you a pickup time, and they bring the bags right to your car.  Aside from being able to avoid crowds, my wife discovered that this option gives you access to food that has not reached the shelves.  So inside the store there is no bread or chicken on the shelves, but she was able to order both online for pickup.  Some of you might investigate that option for replenishing your larder.

For years I've been using a farm-to-table delivery service for fresh vegetables and another for frozen meat.  I'll be expanding my use of both of those for the foreseeable future.

Stay safe, people, but keep playing music!

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 03/18/20 07:32:46PM
Dan
Dan
@dan
4 years ago
185 posts

I work at a Medical Supply Distributor and when face shields or goggles come in we all stop, process them and right out the door they go! Other than that, blessed to be in the right job at the right time.

norm3206
@norm3206
4 years ago
1 posts

On our way back to Canada about 3 weeks early.  Crossing the border tomorrow so hope all goes well.

Feeling good and hope to stay that way.

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
4 years ago
167 posts

We just got back from Hawaii on Friday.....(wonderful time, we were there for 4 weeks)............and went through 3 very busy airports.  Picked up our van Friday morning and it started right up in St. Louis, MO.  Drove to Keokuk, Iowa and did some shopping...and yep. Both of us feeling very very good!!!  (gonna make more fermented foods, sauerkraut stuffs) They were out of all sorts of stuff, but not the fresh foods.   That is what I was  there for.  We are self isolating just because it's wise after so many airports.  however, no CV-19 gonna keep me from voting.  quick in and out and back home.  washing hands etc.   I split a bunch of wood on my electric log splitter and my husband chop sawed a bunch of dry drift wood from the Mississippi banks.  A beautiful sunny day.  I'm looking forward to playing more music (made 2 dulcimers in Hawaii)....gonna work in the shop....get to some wonderful books on my shelves....oh so much to do.  I love being home, smack on the Mississippi.  I found out that #56 grandchild coming....so gonna look at making a quilt......... Looking forward to the big barges going by.  Trains are running over in Iowa and I hear and see them.  I miss seeing my friends, dropped off some bread I made yesterday so I could just wave to them after I ran the doorbell.  Lost in Scrabble tonight....going to beat him good tomorrow night!!

I love this thred and enjoyed all that you folks wrote here, from all over.  

aloooooooooooha, Irene

Carla Maxwell
Carla Maxwell
@carla-maxwell
4 years ago
13 posts

HI Folks, I hope you're well. I don't usually get into the forum discussions, and I apologise for that. I am thankful this website is here, especially for times like this. Thank you for creating the conversation @dusty-turtle.

I'm in Australia and staying here for the next few months, after canceling a planned 3 month stay in the U.S.A. and canceling my daughter's trip back to Australia with me in June.

My husband (Adrian) and I are not sick but we are in the high-risk category, so we have chosen to self-isolate. Our business of group-accommodation here could be shutting down, partly because the customers have canceled through their booking agencies and partly because we canceled -- not wanting to bring extra people into our small town and, more importantly, our home. There are two grocery stores in our town here, and Monday morning they were chaotic environments with half-empty shelves. Yesterday, Adrian had to visit a medical clinic for a prescription, and its computer system was down. The doctor said he could not retrieve Adrian's medical information to make a hand-written prescription. We went back home and returned to the clinic with the medicine so the doctor could write a refill prescription. I stayed in the car during the doctor visit and we were diligent with hand-sanitiser before and after visiting the chemist and another shop.

Adrian and I are watching the world-wide news and seeing changes that are occurring hourly and trying to make the right choices. Yesterday we were asked to play at a pub this coming Thursday, and we declined. Our dulcimer event in April has been rescheduled to November. We were hoping to get out and attend dulcimer activities in the U.S.A. during April, May, and June this year, because we haven't been able to for the past 10 years. It looks like that will be postponed until later in the year or for 2021.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
4 years ago
400 posts

Our bars and restaurants are only open for carry out (they bring it to your car usually) and home delivery; no inside seating.  Churches closed, although that's somewhat voluntary, I think. Ours streams the service every Sunday anyway, but now they are trying to make a lot of classes and studies online and interactive.  My husband's working on that project along with some other tech geeks.  Many stores are doing online only and the grocery stores and Walmart, etc., have cut their hours back.  Pharmacy drive-thru still open.

I'm pretty much a homebody, so I doubt I'll get cabin fever.  Still, I was very disappointed to have to miss the Ohio Valley Gathering last weekend and the dulcimer retreat for this coming weekend was cancelled.  We can't be in groups of more than 10 people, so all entertainment venues are shut down.  I'm very very disappointed that the Road Scholar program had to cancel the spring Dulcimer Rendezvous in April in southern KY.  That's always so much fun -- Susan Trump usually teaches the more advanced players, although Anne Lough did a great job filling in for her last year.  

I'm disappointed, too, that the college basketball tournaments got cancelled since I usually watch most of the games...usually in my recliner with my dulcimer across the arms!  Fortunately my playing softly doesn't annoy my husband!

We haven't stocked up on anything, yet, and that does concern me.  I'm trying to cut back on the amount of toilet tissue I'm using, and that's good for the environment anyway!

Overall, we find these restrictions tolerable. Most of my energy is for healing up from the respiratory illness I got at the beginning of Feb.  I don't want to be in germy situations anyway!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,732 posts

@UserNo4, that sounds like life here in Northern California.  I have been working from home for about 10 years, so my work is not affected. But otherwise . . . The schools are closed, although my daughter is already working with her teachers in Google Classroom.  The churches are closed and offering some services online, but that doesn't help elderly, tech-ignorant folks like my mother-in-law.  My wife is working (mostly unsuccessfully) from home as are most other state workers. Bars and cafes have been closed. Restaurants have been asked to reduce capacity by 50 percent, but most are closing as few people feel safe in such establishments.  Many retail shops have closed, including some music stores.  Gyms have all closed.  My daughter's soccer club has suspended all games and practices. 

It had been raining for the past few days, and I'm happy to see some sunshine today, for at least we can get outside for a stroll or some yardwork.

I think I have no choice but to cancel my monthly dulcimer club. The music store where we meet is trying to stay open, but since we have been told to hunker down in our homes, I don't want to give conflicting advice and suggest we all gather together.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 03/18/20 01:01:53AM
UserNo4
UserNo4
@userno4
4 years ago
30 posts

1. All in-person church activities cancelled, including our small group meetings. It's on-line, which ... well, is better than nothing.

2. I participate in two music groups, one where I take a hammered dulcimer and one where I take a mountain dulcimer. The venues of both have shut down / shut us out.

3. My wife started working from home today. Daughter's school is out for two weeks, officially, but I expect it to be out for the rest of the year. In two weeks, she will probably start some sort of distance learning.

4. I like to go skiing and snowboarding. The season ended at least a week early, perhaps two.

5. I work at home, remotely, as a contractor. In late April, the client is having an all-staff retreat. Well, it was. Not anymore. The cancellation makes my life easier, but it also means I'll go at least four months before I see any of my colleagues in person.

6. Sigh. I'm an introvert who over the last couple of years has become less introverted. Guess I picked a bad couple of years to start that transition.

That's just a start. There are other things.

updated by @userno4: 03/17/20 07:59:00PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,732 posts

"Coronstipation" and "Skip by the Loo" -- y'all are too funny!rofl

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Tumbleweed
Tumbleweed
@tumbleweed
4 years ago
27 posts
"Coronstipation", that's funny but I actually thought how to cut down on trips to the loo. Maybe sing a few rounds of "Skip by the Loo my darlin" as needed.
Steve Smith
Steve Smith
@steve-smith
4 years ago
32 posts
A few months retired, both Jean and I are already used to being at home alone, with ham radio for me, art for her and music for both of us keeping us busy outside of the normal routine. Enough supplies here for a while.

On a lighter note, something I put on Facebook this morning:

Suggested new word for 2020:

Coronstipation: When you're afraid to go to the bathroom because you don't want to use up the last of the toilet paper in the house.
Tumbleweed
Tumbleweed
@tumbleweed
4 years ago
27 posts
Tumbleweed:
Hi everyone,

This is my first posting in quite awhile. I retired a year ago. We moved from So. Cal. to Rural East Texas. With getting our house ready for sale and having to live at MIL's house for a few months while looking for our little piece of Texas I haven't been able to play my dulcimer for over a year. I am so out of practice. My dulcimer is fine. I am the one that needs fine tuning.

I now have the time to get back up to it. Out where we live there are a few groups that meet. They are temporarily cancelled of course. Hope I can surprise them when we meet again.
LisavB
LisavB
@lisavb
4 years ago
58 posts

Oh, and the vacation (2-week) we had planned for May is more than likely toast.  As well as the 1-week we had planned for July (to Canada).  

LisavB
LisavB
@lisavb
4 years ago
58 posts

I work in Seattle and live in a suburb, so it's been stressful.  We don't have kids, but all the schools K-12 statewide are shut through 4/24.  Both BF and I have been telecommuting for nearly 2 weeks now, don't see an end in sight on that.  They just shut down restaurants/bars/etc. until the end of the month, no gatherings of 50--statewide.  We're in high risk group mainly just due to age, so we're being super cautious.  (My normal commute involved crowded buses.)  I've only been out for groceries, and one vet visit.  We don't tend to go out much normally, but the idea of all this going on--and being afraid of catching something by merely picking up groceries is daunting (and going to the grocery store and having them be out of stuff).  I actually wore gloves yesterday (place was picked over, all TP sold out), and of course, have been washing hands, etc.  I've laid in a good supply of things, hopefully enough.

My dulcimer and my guitar are lifesavers. When I play, I can actually forget about all this for a while.  They take me away like nothing else.  (Reading is a problem, since I usually enjoy-and write--post-apocalyptic novels!  No stomach for them at the moment.)

Stay safe and well everyone!

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,126 posts

I'm retired, but Lady Sally still works as a Clinical Pharmacist for our local VA.  Other than that we don't do a lot of going out.  As Hurricane Preppers (i.e we live in Florida) we always have a far amount of canned goods; and we get most of our veg from a local farmer's co-op (order on-line and either go to a pickup location or they also deliver).  

Lots of projects to work on in my "copious free time" as Tom Leherer once said.

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
4 years ago
85 posts

Just staying home with the better half. School is canceled for two weeks, so that means that we have three grand daughters at home with us. They have on line home work to do. But living out in the boonies, leaves little for them to do. Going to have to break out the board games and have some fun time with them. 

Just bought a bowed psaltry for my wife for her birthday. So we'll be teaching each other how to play it. So we have things to do. Making the best of a bad thing.

--
Site Moderator
Susie
Susie
@susie
4 years ago
500 posts

We are retired and live in a rural area. So that helps a lot. Currently we are in the middle of our annual maple syrup production, so that is keeping us busy out in the woods and in our sugar house. So, we are staying very busy with that. happys The maple trees don't care about all this and it's one event that has not been cancelled.

updated by @susie: 03/17/20 07:28:54AM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,095 posts

I, too, live in a rural area. All our dulcimer activities are cancelled because the nursing homes where we usually play are not allowing visitors. Also, a community Lenten service were to play at was cancelled. So I just plan to stay at home, play music, and work in the workshop. I have a PA German zitter to repair and a few instruments I hope to build. I should keep fairly busy. Oh, and I have some writing to do. The more I think about, the busier I will be.

Ken

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
4 years ago
143 posts

I'm retired, so, until I run out of necessaries I don't need to go to town (except for a couple of doctor appointments I made well in advance of this current health issue). I also live in the country, so my contact with people is minimal. This is all good, because I'm at high risk health-wise.

Anyway, I hope everybody stays safe and healthy.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,732 posts

@dmvtatter, what a coincidence that you retired right at this moment.  Congratulations!  I work from home about 90 percent of the time, so my work life has not changed. But schools have shut down so my daughter is home every day, and my wife was just told that she will be working from home, too, which will be a big change for her whole office.  The house will be busier than normal, and the dog will just love it!

I, too, am expecting to play a lot of dulcimer during this down period, although I think I have no choice but to cancel our monthly dulcimer gathering.  I could easily configure our space so that we were not too close together, but I would never forgive myself if someone got sick because of our group.  

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 03/16/20 08:48:25PM
dmvtatter
@dmvtatter
4 years ago
12 posts
I’m very fortunate. I just retired on Friday so I was already prepared for staying home for a while. I got excused for my term of jury duty so until the groceries I bought today run out I have no reason to leave home. I’m in the at risk category so I really appreciate everyone who is self isolating to reduce the spread of the virus. I’ll be spending some time with my dulcimer-it has been neglected for the past year due to my high stress job situation.
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,732 posts

Perhaps some of you have seen some of the videos of Italians quarantined at home singing from balconies (like this one with encouraging videos from China as well).  All around the world people are facing challenges dealing with and trying to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus.  How is it affecting you?  Are you still going to work?  Children and grandchildren home from school?  Dulcimer festivals closing?  

Please do not offer 1) any political commentary or 2) any medical advice.  We want to ensure that FOTMD remains a space free of partisan bickering and never offers false or misleading medical information.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 07/31/23 09:20:35PM

/ 4