@lexie-r-oakley
2 days ago
348 posts

Very Sweet Cindy! Your brother will cherish this.HUG

Strumelia
@strumelia
2 days ago
1,702 posts

Cindy, how wonderful that you are making this music tribute to her- your brother will cherish it.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
marg
@marg
2 days ago
432 posts
Cindy,
What a beautiful project and I hope you can have it done by your sister's birthday but if it's still in progress - that's OK because your love is complete. I hope the dulcimer sings sweetly for you and hugs your soul.
hugssandi
@hugssandi
3 days ago
186 posts

(((((Cindy)))))

Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
3 days ago
37 posts

I am currently working on a project that is very dear to my heart. 

My sister-in-law passed away in January after a courageous battle with ALS.  She was only 53.  Some years ago she had ordered a Ron Ewing dulcimette thru Ebay.  After a while she gave it to me and said "I can't make this thing sing - so here - you make it sing". 

She loved her garden, pond, frogs and birds, and spent a lot of time there.

My project is to play "In the Garden" on the dulcimette that she gave me, and add photos that she took of her favorite things.

Her birthday is April 22, and I plan to have it done to give to my brother on her birthday.

RobbScott
@robbscott
4 days ago
6 posts

Worked on some tab arrangements today. Attached is a PDF of Since I laid My Burden Down with notes, lyrics, chords and 3 different dulcimer arrangements. Usually I see tabs for only one style of playing, but I decided to add tabs for three different styles all together. Part of the idea was to show how it all relates together. Also, my intention was to keep the tabs simple for beginner and intermediate players. I'd like feedback on this.

updated by @robbscott: 03/25/17 01:54:00AM
Brian G.
@brian-g
4 days ago
95 posts

Jill - I'm so sorry; I did not see your below message to me until now.  I've followed you and also sent you a PM.

As for this thread's topic, I am working on arranging a great 16th-century lute piece called "John Com Kisse Me Now".  It was a well-known song then and it's quite pretty - a series of increasingly difficult variations on what is, at its core, a pretty simple tune.  It's been a bit of a challenge, but I've got about half of it down so far.

updated by @brian-g: 03/25/17 07:03:16AM
hugssandi
@hugssandi
4 days ago
186 posts

I am trying Page CXVI's "Fast From, Feast On" unsuccessfully...  LOL

ETA meaning I won't be playing this song in church tomorrow night.  no

updated by @hugssandi: 03/24/17 08:42:09PM
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
4 weeks ago
405 posts

Hey, Jill!  For some reason we were no longer following each other.  I have now clicked on "follow" and it's pending.  If you need to reach me more quickly than that, try sending the same message but instead of to "gmail" send to "email.com"  Yep--I have one of the original email services.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Jill Geary
@jill-geary
one month ago
16 posts

Sorry y'all - Jan Potts, I sent you an email to your gmail - for the life of me I can't PM you. It's regarding KMW. Thx.

Jill Geary
@jill-geary
one month ago
16 posts

Hi Jan P, I tried to PM you, but I'm not following you anymore? Hmmm. Yes, I'm planning on going to KMW! Looking forward to it!

Jan Potts
@jan-potts
one month ago
405 posts

Jill, are you coming to Kentucky Music Week? Mark Gilston will be there!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
hugssandi
@hugssandi
one month ago
186 posts

"Are You Washed in the Blood"

My 3yos wants to know why there's blood?  So I shared what I could, read three chapters of The Jesus Storybook Bible, and now he's obsessed with the cross and has to read about it fifty times a day, followed by the song!  BOYS!!!  LOL!  (He wasn't very interested in said Bible before....)

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
one month ago
492 posts

Ken, I sent you an email at mindspring. I hope that is still your email address. If not, send me a private message.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

updated by @ken-longfield: 02/20/17 04:33:36PM
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
one month ago
1,397 posts

I got an inexpensive copy of the Anne Grimes book -- cheap, as I found out because it did not have the CD!!  If anyone has a copy of the CD as an MP3 that they would share, I'd be forever grateful...

So now I'm working in The Nightingale (One Morning In May)  I learned the tune from Jean Ritchie's CD but I like the Americana lyrics that Anne recorded from Perry Harper, up in my home state of Ohio.  I'm also working the lyrics she recorded for Gypsy Davey.

updated by @ken-hulme: 02/20/17 10:38:08AM
Jill Geary
@jill-geary
one month ago
16 posts

Brian G - I have a question regarding your harp dulcimer. I'm fairly inept at contacting people through FOTMD but I asked to Follow you so I can PM you - pretty sure that's the right way to contact you? I am an Early Music fan and would like to concentrate on the 16th and 17th century pieces on the dulcimer (harp dulcimer?) (Not trying to hijack this thread - relating this to the lute video you posted here.)

Thanks!

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
one month ago
492 posts

Thanks, Ken! I'll look at some of those and listen to them. After asking the question I found Pennsylvania Songs and Legends in a used bookstore. It has a whole section of Pennsylvania German tunes/songs.

Ken

Strumelia
@strumelia
one month ago
1,702 posts

KenH-  awesome!

--
Site Owner

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
one month ago
1,397 posts

Ken -- I just googled the phrase "Pennsylvania German songs and hymns"  and there is a LOT of audio recordings online. Don Yoder and George Britten seem to be two well known Songcatchers   of those things. Smithsonian Folkways and the Library of Congress Audio Recordin have good collections.

Gail Webber
@gail-webber
one month ago
87 posts

After working on a lot of slower tunes lately, I've gone back to my Don Pedi book and have been working on some nice fiddle tunes in DGd and DAC (Puncheon Floor, Boogerman, Old Time Sally Goodin, Little Betty Ann).  It's been a lot of fun!

Strumelia
@strumelia
one month ago
1,702 posts

Ken i can't wait to see pix of that new zitter you are building- sounds exciting!

--
Site Owner

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
one month ago
492 posts

Well, I spent a good part of today working on my latest PA German zitter. The box is together and once I take the clamps off, I'll post a picture. Next step is touching up the sound holes and then sanding in preparation for staining and sanding. Does anyone have a good resource for Pennsylvania German songs and hymns?

Ken

hugssandi
@hugssandi
one month ago
186 posts

When I Survey the Wondrous Cross.  It was easy to work out, but I'd love to do it with Page CXVI flair!

James Phillips
@james-phillips
one month ago
94 posts

I re-strung my mean tone fretted McSpadden and played it for the first time in ages.  Oddly enough, the first song I started playing on it was Good King Wenceslas.  Go figure smiler

Jan Potts
@jan-potts
one month ago
405 posts

Robin, I love your rendition of Red Haired Boy!  It's encouraging me to want to start learning it.  It is played a lot at jams a lot in my part of the dulcimer world and it would be fun to be able to do more than play a few chords here and there, which is all I can do right now.  Thanks for posting this!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
2 months ago
333 posts

I'm practicing songs my hometown group and I play annually in April at the Cary, NC downtown farmers market. This year we have added something for when the little ones come around, Lavender's Blue from Frozen.

Randy Adams
@randy-adams
2 months ago
112 posts

You're pretty smart Lisa! I started out listening to Hiram Stamper play the tune and the notes say its a song "The Drunkards Dream." Then I heard Beverly Smith's play and I can't put it down. It's like so perfect...perhaps more modern? I have to learn it just like she plays it to begin with. I was trying to learn it and got sidetracked with Tune 91...much easier! Same tuning and notes however... but the songs I make up are easy for me to play...I play to my own strengths.. : )

I remember you said you liked the Stamper boys?

I just don't hear the same melody from the tunes you linked? But the form is similar?

http://community.berea.edu/hutchinslibrary/specialcollections/stamper.asp

Scroll down to hear him play Young Edward

Banjimer
@greg-gunner
2 months ago
28 posts

Think of it as free-form.  These ballads are often sung unaccompanied, so like Strumelia has pointed out, the form is not a fixed rhythm or timing.  The singers are free to stretch out notes or cut them short as they see fit.  When written out, this music often has multiple time signatures indicated within the musical transcription in an attempt to record how the singer actually sang the song.

I suspect this is a remnant of the old unaccompanied airs sung in the British Isles.  Ireland, especially, has many of these unaccompanied  airs.  On a related note, uilleann bagpipe players frequently play the music to these old Irish airs (minus the singing).  The vibrating reed in the bagpipe imitates the voice, extending notes as the musician sees fit.  

In both Appalachian ballad singing and the singing of Irish airs, the free-form allows a degree of expression and emotion not found in music that adheres to a strict rhythm or timing.

Strumelia
@strumelia
2 months ago
1,702 posts

Randy, if you listen to these two related sung ballads, they are 'similar' and may help you get a handle on what Beverly is doing- particularly with the timing:

http://maxhunter.missouristate.edu/songinformation.aspx?ID=320

http://maxhunter.missouristate.edu/songinformation.aspx?ID=0765

Keep in mind that Beverly is taking a cue from the timing commonly seen used in a capella ballad singing style.  This style uses a very individual and personal 'open' use of repeats and pauses...and more often than not winds up being irregular or 'crooked' sounding, for want of a better term.  Older fiddlers did this a lot too, needless to say it never works for dance tunes, and it's usually quite difficult for guitar players to follow.  I find the banjo more able to navigate quirky fiddle timing better, especially if two musicians spend time playing together.  
I think two of the keys to successfully translating Appalachian ballad style to instruments is to forget about trying to make the rhythm straight in any way, and to approach it from a non chord based angle.  It's like linear story prose.  Think e.e.cummings maybe?   ;)

--
Site Owner

Randy Adams
@randy-adams
2 months ago
112 posts

I've bee working on Young Edward as played by Beverly Smith.

https://youtu.be/pltd00D8GDs

It's hard to get in my mind the melody.

Sounds like Lisa Johnson and Brian Sullivan's playing ....it's great

hugssandi
@hugssandi
2 months ago
186 posts

Jim, "Arkansas Traveler" is a favorite of mine, because I relate to the old man in the cabin so well!

Bob
@bob
2 months ago
78 posts

I am just learning some simple cords now. Small steps but enjoying the results blush

updated by @bob: 02/08/17 06:48:26AM
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
2 months ago
134 posts

I've been playing for a few years now and finally got Arkansas Traveler in my mind to learn. I can even play it noter drone style, no chords.party

--
Site Moderator
hugssandi
@hugssandi
2 months ago
186 posts

I love that, D.!  The cool thing is that Urban Doxology is also a Christian songwriting internship, and my son did it this summer.  :)  My tabbing of "Purge Me" is slow going, but I e-mailed and received a chord chart.  Too bad I've never learned how to use them!  LOL!  I guess now's as good a time as any?

I HAVE EXCITING NEWS, Y'ALL!  I have had the TAB to "Pull for the Shore" for a very, very long time, thanks to Jak Stalling(s) making it happen at my request~but I've never been able to play it.  Well I pulled it out tonight and played it pretty well!!!!  ~it's only one of my very favorite songs~  I wonder if it's easier because of my smaller, Wren dulcimer?  COLOR ME HAPPY!

D. Chitwood
@d-chitwood
2 months ago
114 posts

Brian, your videos just aren't the same without a bird hanging from your shirt!

I haven't ever posted a video. Maybe one day. Those songs are beautiful!

Sandi, that's a deep song. It's wonderful to use our dulcimers to express what's happening in our soul. Sometimes I pretend Jesus is sitting closeby and listening. :)

Brian G.
@brian-g
2 months ago
95 posts

I'm working on adapting John Com Kisse Me Now to the dulcimer. This is a fantastic 16th century tune - you can hear it played by the world's greatest lutenist (in my opinion, of course, and this would be Paul O'Dettte) here:

Also, I saw Dusty and jenniferc were both working on Harvest Home.  I love that tune also and had recorded a video of it a few years ago. In case anyone would like to see, it's here:

And Dana - when do we get to hear your For Ireland?  I happen to know it sounds excellent.  ;)

D. Chitwood
@d-chitwood
2 months ago
114 posts

I'm working on all of Jeff Furman's Celtic tabs. I get obsessed with his tabs. Just finished For Ireland I'd not tell her name and not working on Gentle Maiden.

hugssandi
@hugssandi
2 months ago
186 posts

I am trying to TAB out "Purge Me" sung by my friend Allison while she was a part of Urban Doxology (you can hear it on YT).  She and her husband are currently in missions in Norway, she is one of my trusted friends, and I am missing her so much!!!  So I listen to it whenever I'm having a hard time.  I have no idea what I'm doing though!

Steven Berger
@steven-berger
2 months ago
63 posts

I practice by first getting a tune or song into my head, and then going at it full-tilt until after the span of a few short years, I'll finally have it down pat.....works for me...whistle

Steven

JenniferC
@jenniferc
2 months ago
20 posts
I'm still working on Harvest Home, too. Trying to get it up to a decent speed is about to kill me, lol. Now that I can make it through the triplets, I get excited while I'm playing, thinking, 'yes! I did it!' ...and right then, boom, crash and burn, lol.

I'm also working through an arrangement for 4 equidistant strings of the ash grove on my new fiddleside.
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
2 months ago
405 posts

So glad I saw this post of yours, Dusty!  I was thinking of a Hymn named (I think) Harvest Home, but couldn't figure out how it was a hornpipe by any stretch of the imagination...and 4 triplets in a row?!  So, of course I had to look it up.  I found it in standard notation, which I could follow pretty well.  What a great rollicking tune, Dusty!  You should record it on here and "Call the Tune" and see how many versions we get!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
2 months ago
859 posts

Sometimes practice is a good thing.  I just started working on the Irish hornpipe Harvest Home.  It has this run of four triplets in a row and I am being forced to practice. I set my metronome on super slow snail-on-ether speed and kept working it until I settled on the pattern of pull-offs, hammer-ons, and slides that enables me to play the triplet run best.  Then I played that darn thing over and over and over. It's a single measure in the song, but I must have played that single measure at least 100 times.   headbang  

I can finally play the whole song straight through without slowing for those triplets. Tomorrow I'm going to start again, but if I get it right a bunch of times in a row, I'll set the metronome one notch faster and keep working. Maybe at this pace I'll have the song up to rollicking hornpipe speed in about six months.  shocked

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

"A good song makes you laugh, it makes you cry, it makes you think."
-- Pete Seeger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
2 months ago
63 posts

I'm working on the "Tavern Song" from the Israeli movie "Salah Shabati", starring Chaim Topol. I really need to practice CONTROL OF THE NOTER for this song! eek

Steven 

Caleb Dan Bennett
@caleb-dan-bennett
2 months ago
20 posts

Im trying to learn how to play some chords so I can accompany others

Jan Potts
@jan-potts
2 months ago
405 posts

Diana, I just play this in my regular DAd tuning and start it on the open middle string (A).

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

dianapalmer
@dianapalmer
2 months ago
18 posts

I am working on "Those were the days." I have always loved the song: its poignant message and its interesting rhythms. I had previously not been able to figure it out on the dulcimer, because of the accidentals. However, more experience and practice has results!

I tuned the dulcimer to cAE. I can then get the accidental G# on the second string. The melody then starts on the fifth fret of the c string. Mostly, I have been playing it with the drones on the bass and middle string. The drones aren't sounding too off. I find it hard to exactly tell, as minor tunes sound a little off to begin with.

If anyone has found a better tuning I would be interested. I guess I won't be able to post it when I play it better, because it is copyrighted. You will just have to imagine it.

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 months ago
492 posts

Way back in the late 1970s Betty and I visited Spring Hill, Nova Scotia and site of the Cumberland Mine. We knew the mine from the McColl//Seeger song as sung by Peter, Paul and Mary. Thanks for reminding of me of that song, Ken.

Ken

Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 months ago
1,397 posts

We had a mini get-away Friday and yesterday.  Drove up to Spring Hill, FL to kayak with the manatees at Weeki Watchee spring/river.  Great trip; beautiful river.   A few too many people for our liking.  Driving into town there was the usual "welcome to" sign Welcome To The Town of Spring Hill, and my wacky brain slipped back more than 50 years and I started singing Peggy Seeger and Ewan MacColl's eulogy for the 1958 disaster:

In the town of Springhill, Nova Scotia, 

Down in the dark of the Cumberland Mine.

There's blood on the coal and the miners lie

In roads that never saw sun nor sky-y

Roads that never saw sun nor sky

So naturally, as soon as we got home last night, I looked up all the lyrics to The Springhill Mining Disaster, and played it a couple times to remind my fingers of where they're supposed to go.   I'm adding it to my Open Mic set.  This will make lots of brownie points with the Canadians who spend their winters here (10% of Canada comes to Florida every winter, not to mention those who come to other Deep South states!)

updated by @ken-hulme: 01/22/17 09:36:12AM
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
2 months ago
63 posts

Thanks, Marg! I really like it!

Steven

marg
@marg
2 months ago
432 posts

Enjoy your Berg dulcimer, I have one & it's pretty special